The final 'Tonight Show w/ Jay Leno' on NBC HD - 5/30/09 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 Old 05-29-2009, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After 17 years, Jay hosts Conan O'Brien and James Taylor for his final show. Jaywalking is the final opening bit, with a nice homage to Rodney Dangerfield in the monologue.

With the usual complement of Kevin Eubanks & Tonight Show Band, and announcer John Melendez.

Bye Jay, see ya in the fall.....

Man, 17 years flew by. Seems like just yesterday we were saying goodbye to Johnny.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 61 Old 05-29-2009, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 7,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Got a near five-minute standing ovation at the outset.....

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
rezzy is offline  
post #3 of 61 Old 05-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Senior Member
 
beachrez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've watched Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson, Leno... (did I leave someone out?) but I doubt that I'll be watching O'Brien.
beachrez is offline  
post #4 of 61 Old 05-29-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Tonight Show was one of the first regularly scheduled HD programs, and the first regularly scheduled non-primetime program to go HD, in April 1999. The transition was made possible by Sony, who teamed up with NBC to use The Tonight Show as a real time HD lab, testing new equipment and production techniques.

One of the more notable developments was the use of air brushes for applying makeup. The variations of standard pancake applied in a TV time frame was too obvious for HD.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #5 of 61 Old 05-29-2009, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Great thread! I am DVR'ing it, so I can watch it without commercials.
Hopefully no negative things will come from this thread. ha

Edit: I'll be starting my DVR recording in a couple minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

After 17 years,
Man, 17 years flew by. Seems like just yesterday we were saying goodbye to Johnny.

I grew up with Jay Leno, as my user name states, I was not around for Jonny.
Young C is offline  
post #6 of 61 Old 05-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member
 
Kib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow... how messed up was JT's voice?
Kib is offline  
post #7 of 61 Old 05-29-2009, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Stew4msu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Wylie, Texas, USA
Posts: 7,079
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
While will the Tonight Show be on on Saturday?

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

Stew4msu is offline  
post #8 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TVOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
It sure took Leno a long time to get off the late night shift and on to prime time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

The Tonight Show was one of the first regularly scheduled HD programs, and the first regularly scheduled non-primetime program to go HD, in April 1999. The transition was made possible by Sony, who teamed up with NBC to use The Tonight Show as a real time HD lab, testing new equipment and production techniques.

Which is made more interesting as NBC was aligned with Panasonic for so many years.
TVOD is offline  
post #9 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

It sure took Leno a long time to get off the late night shift and on to prime time.

For whatever reasons, Leno & Letterman never wanted to be in primetime on a regular basis. I think they prefer the less scrutinised midnight hour, and there is some kind of reverence to Carson that will always be an influence. Until now.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #10 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
StinDaWg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Can't wait for Conan!
StinDaWg is offline  
post #11 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tokerblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I also can't wait for Conan. I hope his Late Night material isn't toned down for the Tonight Show crowd. Nice final segment showing all of the children of the Tonight Show staff.
tokerblue is offline  
post #12 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
STEELERSRULE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: North Western PA
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

I also can't wait for Conan. I hope his Late Night material isn't toned down for the Tonight Show crowd. Nice final segment showing all of the children of the Tonight Show staff.

You better be prepared that it will be. The Masturbating Bear? Forget it.

Conan will have alot of his B#lls cut off to please uptight middle America.

Can't make them mad.
STEELERSRULE is offline  
post #13 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

You better be prepared that it will be. The Masturbating Bear? Forget it.

Conan will have alot of his B#lls cut off to please uptight middle America.

Can't make them mad.

Maybe/Maybe not. It's possible Leno's fans will follow him and as well for Conan. Baby boomers are getting older and will probably go to bed earlier.

I think we are at a transitional point. The middle of the country has been doing this an hour earlier forever.
zalusky is offline  
post #14 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Newbie
 
Dalegk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Xanadu
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

Maybe/Maybe not. It's possible Leno's fans will follow him and as well for Conan. Baby boomers are getting older and will probably go to bed earlier.

I think we are at a transitional point. The middle of the country has been doing this an hour earlier forever.

I'm a baby boomer and I love Conan O'Brien. I think you mean the generation that came before me. Baby boomers are the ones that pushed the envelope. Saturday Night Live comes to mind.

This is my first post. I have gained a lot of knowledge about consumer electronics reading posts on AVS. Many thanks to all that contribute.
Dalegk is offline  
post #15 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 11:41 AM
 
Awesomeness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

You better be prepared that it will be. The Masturbating Bear? Forget it.

Conan will have alot of his B#lls cut off to please uptight middle America.

Can't make them mad.

I dunno what your "uptight middle America" comment is referring to. Carson was funny without losing respect. Are you angry that there are lots of people who will not watch something disgusting just because a teenager thinks it is funny? I don't want to watch Jackass. I'd rather watch PBS.
Awesomeness is offline  
post #16 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 11:51 AM
 
Awesomeness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The tribute to Rodney Dangerfield was nice. He was one of America's great comedians. Can anyone imagine what the Tonight Show would be like if he was the host?
Awesomeness is offline  
post #17 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dad1153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 36,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalegk View Post

This is my first post. I have gained a lot of knowledge about consumer electronics reading posts on AVS. Many thanks to all that contribute.

Glad we were able to help a citizen from the fine city of... (looks up profile)... XANADU??!!
dad1153 is offline  
post #18 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Kib
AVS Special Member
 
Kib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

I also can't wait for Conan. I hope his Late Night material isn't toned down for the Tonight Show crowd. Nice final segment showing all of the children of the Tonight Show staff.

I think if Leno hadn't been so milquetoast the contrast would be less apparent.

If I were spitballin' how this will shake out, I'd say after the initial few weeks (new circus in town factor) Conan's numbers will be down from Leno's, Dave's numbers will go up some in so much that he's the only adult in the room now, but he's not going to get a lot of Leno's people (unless they get over the 'I don't like Letterman' preconception and find they like the more mellow Dave)

Kimmel may see a small bump that may slowly increase over time. He really does a pretty nice program and may pick up some "Conan sold out" demo's.

Net/Net - NBC < / CBS => / ABC => and maybe >>

Place your wagers, the windows will soon be closing...
Kib is offline  
post #19 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StuJac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: S.E. PA
Posts: 1,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrez View Post

I've watched Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson, Leno... (did I leave someone out?) but I doubt that I'll be watching O'Brien.

Me too but I'm looking forward to Conan. What did he do to you?

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
StuJac is offline  
post #20 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
URFloorMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 3,609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Letterman's getting beat by Nightline, so I'm sure he'd like some of those Leno viewers. My guess is the biggest benefactor of Leno's departure will be Kimmel. Fortunately for Letterman Kimmel's show doesn't start at 11:35.

The real question will be whether anyone keeps sticking around for Jimmy Fallon. Even though he's improved, the opening to last night's show was a bomb.
URFloorMatt is offline  
post #21 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member
 
Kib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

Letterman's getting beat by Nightline, so I'm sure he'd like some of those Leno viewers. My guess is the biggest benefactor of Leno's departure will be Kimmel. Fortunately for Letterman Kimmel's show doesn't start at 11:35.

The real question will be whether anyone keeps sticking around for Jimmy Fallon. Even though he's improved, the opening to last night's show was a bomb.

Absolutely CBS would love some of them Leno eyeballs and I think they'll pick a few up. You're also right about Fallon's show... a frikken train wreck!

I'll ever go out on this limb... Kimmel shows enough of an increase that by 2010 Nightline gets whacked.
Kib is offline  
post #22 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 7,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post

The tribute to Rodney Dangerfield was nice. He was one of America's great comedians. Can anyone imagine what the Tonight Show would be like if he was the host?

Or Don Rickles? Man, it would've been a zoo every night!
(BTW, I did see Fallon for the first time last night; he needs to find his niche quickly!)

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
rezzy is offline  
post #23 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nickdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

You better be prepared that it will be. The Masturbating Bear? Forget it.

Conan will have alot of his B#lls cut off to please uptight middle America.

Can't make them mad.

I'm really hoping for the opposite. I hope Conan keeps it somewhat authentic to how he was on Late Night. It would be awesome if Conan emerged as someone AGAINST the "uptight middle America". We need a new crusader to protect comedy TV and save us from a world of sappy, saccharine Disney style shows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post

I dunno what your "uptight middle America" comment is referring to. Carson was funny without losing respect. Are you angry that there are lots of people who will not watch something disgusting just because a teenager thinks it is funny? I don't want to watch Jackass. I'd rather watch PBS.

I think you know damn well what it means. The people who freak out over every little thing on TV. Rather than just changing the channel, they become a PITA to the networks until the networks change to suit THEIR wants. The people who badger FOX over Family Guy, the people that whined about Dexter on CBS, the people that complained to the FCC over Janet Jackson at the 2004 Super Bowl.
nickdawg is offline  
post #24 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Senior Member
 
LionelLines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Near LA-LA Land out on The Coast
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Or Don Rickles? Man, it would've been a zoo every night!
(BTW, I did see Fallon for the first time last night; he needs to find his niche quickly!)


How about Don Rickles AND Rodney Dangerfield as co-hosts????

Dynamite.

Rickles could interview and tell jokes. Dangerfield could tell jokes and make fun of Rickles.

Perfect combo.

(Yes. I do miss Rodney. And, aging is not being kind to Don. )
LionelLines is offline  
post #25 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 7,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

I think you know damn well what it means. The people who freak out over every little thing on TV. Rather than just changing the channel, they become a PITA to the networks until the networks change to suit THEIR wants. The people who badger FOX over Family Guy, the people that whined about Dexter on CBS, the people that complained to the FCC over Janet Jackson at the 2004 Super Bowl.

People complained about Dexter? Color me uptight, but Dex on CBS was fabulously compelling; couldn't turn it off (but I do despise toilet-humor animation, though).

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
rezzy is offline  
post #26 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nickdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

People complained about Dexter? Color me uptight, but Dex on CBS was fabulously compelling; couldn't turn it off (but I do despise toilet-humor animation, though).

I loved Dexter on CBS too! It was the PTC-Parents Television Council, the same people behind all three: Janet Jackson, Family Guy and Dexter. And I'll bet these people(or a similar group) were also protesting for the vchip back in the 90s.
nickdawg is offline  
post #27 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 02:52 PM
 
Awesomeness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelLines View Post

How about Don Rickles AND Rodney Dangerfield as co-hosts????

Dynamite.

Rickles could interview and tell jokes. Dangerfield could tell jokes and make fun of Rickles.

Perfect combo.

(Yes. I do miss Rodney. And, aging is not being kind to Don. )

Did Don Rickles ever fill in for Johnny Carson?
Awesomeness is offline  
post #28 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StinDaWg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,656
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 165
If you watched the last Conan O'Brien episode he almost broke down in tears and said he's not going to change for anyone and he's going to be the same person at 11:30. He already retired the masturbating bear though, so you old people don't have to worry about seeing that.
StinDaWg is offline  
post #29 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 7,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post

Did Don Rickles ever fill in for Johnny Carson?

Unsure. From memory, the regular subs were Coz, Joan Rivers, McLaine Stevenson; and possibly David Brenner among others.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
rezzy is offline  
post #30 of 61 Old 05-30-2009, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
moob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kib View Post

Absolutely CBS would love some of them Leno eyeballs and I think they'll pick a few up. You're also right about Fallon's show... a frikken train wreck!

They won't be getting these eyeballs. I think Letterman is a condescending ass. I also can't stand his band leader.

I know it's the "hip" thing to hate on Leno, but I liked him. But I also like Conan, so I'm okay with the switch. Hopefully he won't have to tone down his show too much, or at all.

Still, Ferguson > *.
moob is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off