The Lost Room on Sci Fi HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 06-04-2009, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Lost Room, a 6 hour miniseries from 2006 with Peter Krause and Julianna Margulies, is going to be shown again on Sci Fi this Tuesday June 9, with Part 1 "The Key and The Clock" at 10 am, Part 2 "The Comb and The Box" at 12 noon and Part 3 "The Eye and The Prime Object" at 2 pm. I loved this when it was first broadcast. Does anyone know if it will actually be in high definition, or will it be one of Sci Fi's SD shows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-04-2009, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hawley View Post

The Lost Room, a 6 hour miniseries from 2006 with Peter Krause and Julianna Margulies, is going to be shown again on Sci Fi this Tuesday June 9, with Part 1 "The Key and The Clock" at 10 am, Part 2 "The Comb and The Box" at 12 noon and Part 3 "The Eye and The Prime Object" at 2 pm. I loved this when it was first broadcast. Does anyone know if it will actually be in high definition, or will it be one of Sci Fi's SD shows?

The guide isn't listing it as HD, but SciFi is one of the worst at not listing HD when it is, and vice versa, listing it as HD when it isn't. It's listed as LetterBox, but doesn't list it as HD. Since it's 3 yrs. old, I'd say the chance of HD is slim, just basing it on the way they've done it in the past.
post #3 of 27 Old 06-04-2009, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

My memory may be faulty, but I think The Lost Room has aired in HD on Universal HD - or in a daytime showing on Sci-Fi last year. But I may be thinking of another Sci-Fi miniseries.

However, Sci-Fi was shooting their premium mini-series and regular scripted series in HD years before they started the HD channel. Odds are very good that the Lost Room was shot in HD, probably on HD 1080/24p video cameras. But Sci-Fi has been very inconsistent in showing series and movies/mini-series made for Sci-Fi in HD if they were originally shown before Sci-Fi had an HD channel. Sci-Fi is still showing Stargate: SG-1 only in letterboxed SD as far as I know, even though at least the last 4 seasons were shot in HD (not sure about the Showtime seasons). I guess they just go grab the SD tape rather than update their library with the HD versions.
post #4 of 27 Old 06-04-2009, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hawley View Post

Does anyone know if it will actually be in high definition, or will it be one of Sci Fi's SD shows?

I don't know how Sci-Fi will decide to air it, but the show was shot on 35mm film and mastered in HD.

I really enjoyed the script for this show. It is one of my all-time favorites. I wish they had taken it to series.
post #5 of 27 Old 06-05-2009, 06:55 AM

Liked: 11
'The Lost Room' was a wonderful, enigmatic, brainy miniseries and had tremendous storyline potential for a weekly series. Definitely worth a look if you haven't seen it. Instead, Sci-Fi chose to go with the woeful remake of 'Flash Gordon', wrestling, various "ghost-hunting" shows, a new schlocky Saturday night movie nearly every week of the year and burying the terrific & trippy 'Charlie Jade' in the coveted Tuesday 2:00AM timeslot. If it wasn't for BSG and it's coming prequel 'Caprica', this channel would be completely worthless. It's hard to generate any sympathy for them when they make these kind of programming decisions on a consistent basis.
post #6 of 27 Old 06-05-2009, 07:54 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

this is so true Sci-Fi channel could be one of the best Chanel's out there.
We have tons(well allot) of good sch-SF material and more would come if they could get it aired. The Ad world is looking for a center core media where they will get allot of different people watching one program[much better than preaching to the choir- showing detergent commercial over and over to those who already use their product].
In Sci-Fi,- dads can watch a show with their teenagers and also have a Moral to the story in which you can talk about it after words. Sci-Fi is something people of any age can and will watch. Look at Serenity- the series they could have made millions and millions if they gave it one (3_5) more seasons...

SCH-FI channel and Ad people wakeUP.

It's hard to generate any sympathy for them when they make these kind of programming decisions on a consistent bas
post #7 of 27 Old 07-02-2009, 05:42 PM

Just finished watching the mini-series. Have to say this was one of the best sci-fi programs I've seen on TV for quite sometime. New concepts in the story line, not some rehash of ideas from old show/movies.

If it gets rebroadcast I would recommend recording it.

I can resist anything, except temptation.
post #8 of 27 Old 07-02-2009, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Mass View Post

Just finished watching the mini-series. Have to say this was one of the best sci-fi programs I've seen on TV for quite sometime. New concepts in the story line, not some rehash of ideas from old show/movies.

If it gets rebroadcast I would recommend recording it.

I forgot to record it, was it in HD?
post #9 of 27 Old 07-02-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I watched this when it was originally on and have since bought the DVD.

Great, great series! I wish they'd have made a series about it, and explored more of the item-combining effects.

I loved the pencil that would kick out a penny everytime you tapped the end of it on something. Slow way to become a millionnaire, but entirely possible!

Man, now I want to watch it again.
post #10 of 27 Old 07-02-2009, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333
This would have been a great series with lots of possibilities if done correctly. The cast would never have come back but the premise was very original and the ending left a lot of interesting avenues to explore.

But that's SyFy for you. If it isn't cheap and horrible it won't find a place on their schedule.

post #11 of 27 Old 07-03-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

But that's SyFy for you.

It will be Syfy.

post #12 of 27 Old 07-04-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

This would have been a great series with lots of possibilities if done correctly. The cast would never have come back but the premise was very original and the ending left a lot of interesting avenues to explore.

But that's SyFy for you. If it isn't cheap and horrible it won't find a place on their schedule.

Is it me or does SyFy has hardly any new shows. I know about Eureka (love that show) but other that it seems like just reruns...
post #13 of 27 Old 07-04-2009, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersteve View Post

Is it me or does SyFy has hardly any new shows. I know about Eureka (love that show) but other that it seems like just reruns...

Sci-Fi has been lacking in new episodes of their scripted series since Stargate: Atlantis and BSG wrapped up earlier this year. They have been running season one episodes of Primeval, but that is a made for British TV series. Sci-Fi has not even had one of their bigger budget mini-series productions, that I can recall, since Tinman. The Lost Room was the last one before that I think. They did air the "Knights of Bloodsteel" miniseries with David James Elliott (guy from JAG) several months ago, which I guess was supposed to be a higher profile mini-series at one time, but was dumped and aired with little promotion. I DVR'ed it and deleted it after the first 15 minutes, it was dumped for good reason.

The new Warehouse 13 series starts next Tuesday. Have no idea if it will be any good or not. The premise appears to have some similarity to The Lost Room in that there are these strange artifacts with mysterious powers, but stored in a government warehouse. Looking at the show info on the Sci-Fi website, the pitch for the show could have been: hey let's mix The Lost Room with the X-Files! (check out the character description of the two leads).

Eureka is finally returning next Friday. Sanctuary will be returning in the fall, Stargate Universe will be starting in the fall. So Sci-Fi (not going to use Syfy until I have to) does have new and returning scripted series coming back.
post #14 of 27 Old 07-04-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

Sci-Fi has been lacking in new episodes of their scripted series since Stargate: Atlantis and BSG wrapped up earlier this year. They have been running season one episodes of Primeval, but that is a made for British TV series. Sci-Fi has not even had one of their bigger budget mini-series productions, that I can recall, since Tinman. The Lost Room was the last one before that I think. They did air the "Knights of Bloodsteel" miniseries with David James Elliott (guy from JAG) several months ago, which I guess was supposed to be a higher profile mini-series at one time, but was dumped and aired with little promotion. I DVR'ed it and deleted it after the first 15 minutes, it was dumped for good reason.

The new Warehouse 13 series starts next Tuesday. Have no idea if it will be any good or not. The premise appears to have some similarity to The Lost Room in that there are these strange artifacts with mysterious powers, but stored in a government warehouse. Looking at the show info on the Sci-Fi website, the pitch for the show could have been: hey let's mix The Lost Room with the X-Files! (check out the character description of the two leads).

Eureka is finally returning next Friday. Sanctuary will be returning in the fall, Stargate Universe will be starting in the fall. So Sci-Fi (not going to use Syfy until I have to) does have new and returning scripted series coming back.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Warehouse 13. Hopefully it will be good. It does remind me a little of The Lost Room (which was great!).

SciFi's (SyFy name is soo lame) budget must not be that big. I always wondered why they never pick up shows that NBC or the others drop. I still wish they would've renewed the Dresden Files.
post #15 of 27 Old 04-26-2014, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersteve View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

Oh yeah, I forgot about Warehouse 13. Hopefully it will be good. It does remind me a little of The Lost Room (which was great!).

SciFi's (SyFy name is soo lame) budget must not be that big. I always wondered why they never pick up shows that NBC or the others drop. I still wish they would've renewed the Dresden Files.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I fondly remember both 'Lost Room' and 'Dresden Files'. Since Amazon despatched my copies of both series on DVD (no BD) this past week, I'm looking forward to finally watching them again when they arrive.

Quite disappointed that nothing came of these as I thought they were both excellent. Should be even better up-sampled to 1080/50P HD. biggrin.gif

Curious as to a consensus of opinion of both.
post #16 of 27 Old 04-26-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Hey, I notice this thread has a post from "Skipdrive". Gosh, I miss that guy. Anyone else? tongue.gifwink.gif

And 'The Lost Room' was excellent. Should have gone to series instead of neutering the concept and creating 'Warehouse 13' from the carcass.
post #17 of 27 Old 04-26-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I wouldn't say "nothing" came from the Lost Room.

I have to think Warehouse 13 was influenced heavily by it.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #18 of 27 Old 04-27-2014, 07:27 AM

I've never seen or even heard of 'Warehouse13' until now, plus it's been years since I've seen 'Lost Room', as well.

Can someone please summarise in a few lines of how the former was influenced by the latter?
post #19 of 27 Old 04-27-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I wouldn't say "nothing" came from the Lost Room.

I have to think Warehouse 13 was influenced heavily by it.
I don't recall if I gave LR a go.

I did try W13, but it didn't work for me.
However, Ms. Oink loves the show and has been watching it faithfully.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #20 of 27 Old 04-27-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

I've never seen or even heard of 'Warehouse13' until now, plus it's been years since I've seen 'Lost Room', as well.

Can someone please summarise in a few lines of how the former was influenced by the latter?

Lost Room was about a bunch of stuff in a hotel room where "something happened" and all those objects were endowed with capabilities to "do something"... and sometimes multiple objects together did "something else".

Warehouse 13 is about a branch of the Secret Service that goes around the world looking for artifacts that "do something" and they secure them in the warehouse... sometimes multiple artifacts used together accomplish "something else"... and we have been shown that artifacts gain their capabilities during extreme emotional situations.

Basically, in my mind, Warehouse 13 expands on the concept of the Lost Room... and has the entire world and most of human history creating various objects that have strange capabilities that are sometimes dangerous.

post #21 of 27 Old 04-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Lost Room was excellent and I was extremely disappointed when I found out they weren't going to do another series.
post #22 of 27 Old 04-27-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 264
About the only thing I remember about The Lost Room was that it is the only series you will ever watch where you'll hear the line, "Watch out! He's got the comb!" in an action sequence.
post #23 of 27 Old 04-28-2014, 04:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:

Basically, in my mind, Warehouse 13 expands on the concept of the Lost Room... and has the entire world and most of human history creating various objects that have strange capabilities that are sometimes dangerous.

I don't think W13 was even close to being as deep or inventive as Lost Room. W13 basically followed a lightweight Syfy formula of The X-Files hunting Indiana Jones objects of the week, which was something the Friday 13th series was doing 15 years earlier too.

If I remember correctly didn't The Lost Room infer it was the place that God was killed and in the end Peter Krause became an immortal object?

post #24 of 27 Old 04-28-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I don't think W13 was even close to being as deep or inventive as Lost Room. W13 basically followed a lightweight Syfy formula of The X-Files hunting Indiana Jones objects of the week, which was something the Friday 13th series was doing 15 years earlier too.

+1. I remember being pretty jazzed about 'The Lost Room' after seeing it. I assumed the Sci-Fi Network was growing up and finally living up to their name. The assumption then was TLR was going to series. Instead, they just doubled down on dumb, cannibalizing the fascinating core of TLR for the sophomoric pablum that became W-13.
post #25 of 27 Old 04-28-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I remember correctly didn't The Lost Room infer it was the place that God was killed and in the end Peter Krause became an immortal object?

I wasn't necessarily saying Warehouse 13 does what it does as good or better than Lost Room. I really would have loved to see a Lost Room series expand on what they started. But you can't deny the heavy influence. It's just too close to not see the influence of Lost Room on Warehouse 13. Warehouse 13 doesn't necessarily go as deep or hit the themes as hard, but they are dancing in the same territory.

As for the Lost Room ending... I honestly haven't seen it in so long, I can't really remember how it ended. I have the DVDs, but haven't watched in a long time. I probably should re-watch sometime. It was good stuff.

post #26 of 27 Old 04-29-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I wasn't necessarily saying Warehouse 13 does what it does as good or better than Lost Room. I really would have loved to see a Lost Room series expand on what they started. But you can't deny the heavy influence. It's just too close to not see the influence of Lost Room on Warehouse 13. Warehouse 13 doesn't necessarily go as deep or hit the themes as hard, but they are dancing in the same territory.

As for the Lost Room ending... I honestly haven't seen it in so long, I can't really remember how it ended. I have the DVDs, but haven't watched in a long time. I probably should re-watch sometime. It was good stuff.

I finally found the time to watch my new DVD's (LR, 'Dresden Files' and BD of LOA) early this evening. I tossed a coin to see which DVD to watch first and 'Dresden Files' won it.

Inserted it in the player and guess what the first title was in the coming attractions advert? It was 'Lost Room'. It looks quite interesting, but since I only had a few minutes to watch, I continued with DF and was quite impressed with what I saw. Seems these new acquisitions won't sit on the shelf unwatched like so many other disks do.

Next up is first disk of LF quite soon. HDMe2. are you listening?
post #27 of 27 Old 04-29-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I still want to do a re-watch... I am so behind on other current programs I don't know when I'll find the time.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page