post #541 of 1849 Old 03-28-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

You just made my day. Awesome! Here's hoping it ends up on the same tier at the Retroplex HD channel, and not the BBC HD tier.

I would assume if you have TCM now, via Dish, you'll get the HD channel automatically whenever they decide to add it. TCM is available in the Top 200 and above packages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1849 Old 03-28-2010, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post

I am dying for any movie from 1930-1965. Movies today don't tell compelling stories. To see these movies in BD would be like going back in time and seeing how they looked for the first time.

Amen to that.
post #543 of 1849 Old 03-28-2010, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 View Post

Amen to that.

Same here. Just had a viewing of ROARING TWENTIES (Cagney/Bogart) on laserdisc. Terrific film (better than PUBLIC ENEMY, IMHO). And, except for the foggy boat-hijack scene, the LD PQ looked damn good as well! Certainly better than many TCM broadcasts. Still, I long for the day when TCM is a true HD channel. Probably years away "sigh"
post #544 of 1849 Old 03-28-2010, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post

I am dying for any movie from 1930-1965. Movies today don't tell compelling stories. To see these movies in BD would be like going back in time and seeing how they looked for the first time.

Don't despair, those old films if re-mastered properly look awfully good on both, upconverted DVDs and DVD-Rs when good prints are aired by TCM in conjunction with a good DVD recorder.

There have been some classics of which TCM hasn't aired in over 16 years which also are not available on DVD that I had to dub onto DVD from tapes I made off of TCM in order to keep them preserved. One of the best was "Madam Satan" from 1930. A witty satire with one of the greatest and comical climatic sequences ever filmed - wealthy people attending a costume party on a blimp suddenly having to parachute for safety as the blimp breaks apart over New York City. Another not aired in ages is "The Wild Party" which was Clara Bow's first talkie.

Some dramas not presented or availabe that I saved includes "Flesh" from 1929, the silent classic "The Joyless Street" with Greta Garbo and the silent-part talkie "Noah's Ark". Was going to dub "Svengali" (which is only available on poor-quality DVD) but fortunately TCM presented it in February so maybe we'll be in luck and other, rarely seen early gems will start poping-up again. If not, at least hoping TCM will release them in the WB archive series.
post #545 of 1849 Old 03-29-2010, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

Don't despair, those old films if re-mastered properly look awfully good on both, upconverted DVDs and DVD-Rs when good prints are aired by TCM in conjunction with a good DVD recorder.

There have been some classics of which TCM hasn't aired in over 16 years which also are not available on DVD that I had to dub onto DVD from tapes I made off of TCM in order to keep them preserved. One of the best was "Madam Satan" from 1930. A witty satire with one of the greatest and comical climatic sequences ever filmed - wealthy people attending a costume party on a blimp suddenly having to parachute for safety as the blimp breaks apart over New York City. Another not aired in ages is "The Wild Party" which was Clara Bow's first talkie.

Some dramas not presented or availabe that I saved includes "Flesh" from 1929, the silent classic "The Joyless Street" with Greta Garbo and the silent-part talkie "Noah's Ark". Was going to dub "Svengali" (which is only available on poor-quality DVD) but fortunately TCM presented it in February so maybe we'll be in luck and other, rarely seen early gems will start poping-up again. If not, at least hoping TCM will release them in the WB archive series.

It might be time to move away from "dubbing" DVD's and going to a media server. Like you, I used to burn copies of recordings onto DVD's. After a few years, I was left with hundreds of discs to manage, many of which didn't even play after I upgraded equipment. I decided to move from DVD burns to a media server. My whole collection is now stored on a NAS and easily accessible with my Dune Base 3.0 media server. I've moved away from physical media and haven't looked back. Now, when I want to watch something, I just pick up the remote and scroll through all my content while in the comfort of my easy chair. No more wading through disc after disc looking for something I'm in the mood for and hoping it still plays. Before I got the media server, I couldn't even remember half the stuff I had. It would just sit there on the shelf collecting dust. I love it when someone comes over and wants to watch a movie. I hand them the remote and ask them to pick what they want. I love the look on their faces as the scroll through the content. The first thing out of their mouth's is usually something like "I gotta get me one of these things".
post #546 of 1849 Old 03-29-2010, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It might be time to move away from "dubbing" DVD's and going to a media server. Like you, I used to burn copies of recordings onto DVD's. After a few years, I was left with hundreds of discs to manage, many of which didn't even play after I upgraded equipment. I decided to move from DVD burns to a media server. My whole collection is now stored on a NAS and easily accessible with my Dune Base 3.0 media server. I've moved away from physical media and haven't looked back. Now, when I want to watch something, I just pick up the remote and scroll through all my content while in the comfort of my easy chair. No more wading through disc after disc looking for something I'm in the mood for and hoping it still plays. Before I got the media server, I couldn't even remember half the stuff I had. It would just sit there on the shelf collecting dust. I love it when someone comes over and wants to watch a movie. I hand them the remote and ask them to pick what they want. I love the look on their faces as the scroll through the content. The first thing out of their mouth's is usually something like "I gotta get me one of these things".

Able to connect your PC to a HD monitor to enjoy all those films?

With me, I have an alphabetical list in a book with titles subdivided by sound, silent, sports, television (remember those old Frank Sinatra TV specials that TCM aired?) with disc numbers assigned to them (over 700 at this point) that are stored in discgear and other storage units.
post #547 of 1849 Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Able to connect your PC to a HD monitor to enjoy all those films?

With me, I have an alphabetical list in a book with titles subdivided by sound, silent, sports, television (remember those old Frank Sinatra TV specials that TCM aired?) with disc numbers assigned to them (over 700 at this point) that are stored in discgear and other storage units.

And a separate room in the house just to store all that stuff, I imagine. I just don't have that kind of room to spare. And no, my PC is not connected to my TV. My PC doesn't even need to be on when I'm watching.
post #548 of 1849 Old 03-29-2010, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

My home-recorded DVD index now has just about 32,000 titles. The photos show typical index pages from December 2009 and March 2010.
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #549 of 1849 Old 03-29-2010, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And a separate room in the house just to store all that stuff, I imagine. I just don't have that kind of room to spare. And no, my PC is not connected to my TV. My PC doesn't even need to be on when I'm watching.

As far as storage space, those discgear holders are compact and hold about 100 each. Also have cubes, racks etc. all over the place. Needless to say, my wife is amazed at my ability to find additional space when necessary without ruining the decor of our apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

My home-recorded DVD index now has just about 32,000 titles. The photo shows a typical index page from late December 2009.

Wow, DigaDo, bet you've only been able to watch a fraction of them.

I have about 740 DVD-Rs most of them with 2 films per disc, so that maybe comes out to a little under 1,500 titles. Add that to the approximate 1,350 commercial DVD recordings (many of them containing multiple titles, i.e., Star Trek episodes, etc.) plus about 400 pre-recorded VHS tapes (hardly watched anymore) and I come up with maybe 3,200 titles - just one tenth the size of your collection!

Again, just hoping that TCM starts airing more of those rarely seen classics mentioned in my earlier posting.

Ciao,
Joe
post #550 of 1849 Old 03-29-2010, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As far as storage space, those discgear holders are compact and hold about 100 each. Also have cubes, racks etc. all over the place. Needless to say, my wife is amazed at my ability to find additional space when necessary without ruining the decor of our apartment.

The first photo, from early July 2009, shows around 4,700 home-recorded DVDs in albums. Today there are more than 6,000 home-recorded DVDs, entirely filling the top shelf. I'll start another shelf in a few days.

The second photo, from August 2009, shows a Targus 320 disc album on Mija's ironing board.
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #551 of 1849 Old 03-29-2010, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The first photo, from early July 2009, shows around 4,700 home-recorded DVDs in albums. Today there are more than 6,000 home-recorded DVDs, entirely filling the top shelf. I'll start another shelf in a few days.

The second photo, from August 2009, shows a Targus 320 disc album on Mija's ironing board.

I'm most proud of my silent movie collection so I keep those commercially produced ones (both DVD and VHS)dislayed proudly in the living room sectional units. Because most of the silents recorded off TCM are paired with early talkies I'm unable to keep them in a separate discgear. The rest of my commercial DVDs are on storage units going down the hallway, except for the original and next generaion Star Treks which are in the den along with my dwindling VHS collection (whenever a title comes on TCM or a HD station I record it onto DVD and then discard the original VHS version (picture quality on the DVD-R is far superior).

Didn't notice the lists you showed being in alphabetical order -- do you cross reference? My listings simply give the disc number I assigned to it, title and year of production, separated by category (sound, silent, animation, movie serial, sports music, etc.)

If it wasn't for TCM, I wouldn't have a fraction of the older films that are in my collection.
post #552 of 1849 Old 03-29-2010, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Didn't notice the lists you showed being in alphabetical order -- do you cross reference? My listings simply give the disc number I assigned to it, title and year of production, separated by category (sound, silent, animation, movie serial, sports music, etc.)

If it wasn't for TCM, I wouldn't have a fraction of the older films that are in my collection.

The photos attached to post #548 show the data input view of my customized MS Works database for home-recorded DVDs. The first of those photos show the 2005-2009 database with 29,900 titles. That database was closed out on 12/31/2009 because the DVD number field had not been formatted to accept a leading zero--the last 2009 DVD bears the number 091231M but the database itself shows it as 91231M. Thirteen discs were finalized on 12/31/2009. (The photo attached to the present post shows the last of the 2009 discs and the first of the 2010 discs. This album holds the 520 discs finalized between 12/19/2009 and 3/3/2010.) If that 2005-2009 database had been continued into 2010 the newest DVDs would sort ahead of the earliest titles from 2005. The second photo attached to post #548 shows the slightly revised database begun on 1/1/2010. That database uses the whole number, e.g., the second DVD finalized today is 100329B. The current database has 2,163 titles as of this morning.

A database may be sorted by any field or searched with any criteria. It would take a simple sort less than one second to alphabetize the index on the Title field.

Using these databases I may find any title, physically locate the actual DVD and start viewing any title within a minute or so.

Once a DVD has been finalized it is auditioned to determine it's contents, the contents are entered into the database, the DVD is labeled with it's content, the DVD is assigned it's DVD number, the DVD number is entered into the database and the DVD is placed into the current album according to the DVD number.
LL

post #553 of 1849 Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The photos attached to the earlier post #548 show the data input view of my customized MS Works database for home-recorded DVDs. The first of those photos show the 2005-2009 database with 29,900 titles. That database was closed out on 12/31/2009 because the DVD number had not been formatted with a leading zero--the last 2009 DVD bears the number 091231M but the database shows it as 91231M--thirteen discs were finalized on 12/31/2009. (The photo attached to the present post shows the last of the 2009 discs and the first of the 2010 discs. This album holds the 520 discs finalized between 12/19/2009 and 3/3/2010.) If that 2005-2009 database had been continued into 2010 the newest DVDs would sort ahead of the earliest titles from 2005. The second photo from the earlier post shows the slightly revised database begun on 1/1/2010 that uses the whole number, e.g., the second DVD finalized today is 100329B. That second database currently has 2,163 titles.

A database may be sorted by any field or searched with any criteria. It would take a simple sort less than one second to alphabetize the index on the Title field.

Using these databases I may find any title, physically locate the actual DVD and start viewing any title within a minute or so.

Once a DVD has been finalized it is auditioned to determine it's contents, the contents are entered into the database, the DVD is labeled with it's content, the DVD is assigned it's DVD number, the DVD number is entered into the database and the DVD is placed into the current album according to the DVD number.

Understood and forgot you can format your database countless ways. I dont have such flexibility since I began my list more than 25 years ago during the age of VHS as a simple word document and re-formatted it to microsoft word instead of excell (which I should have done). I update it on my PC at work (only have a MSNTV-2browser at home) and have a printout stored in a nice binder. The pages are separated by letter so I don't have to reprint the entire book whenever a new entry is made.

On a different note, many times the WB Archive series releases a rare film not usually aired on TCM (unlike "Emma", "Dance Fools Dance", "Manhattan Melodrama" etc.). I first do a search on TCM to see if it will be broadcast over the next four months (even though the monthy schedule only goes up to three). I'd rather save the expense of purchasing a film if it can be recorded off of TCM-HD (since the archive collection is not remasterd for DVD, my copy off TCM-HD would be virtually identical and a lot less expensive), One I recently purchased ("Captain Salvation") is going to be premiered on TCM down the road.
post #554 of 1849 Old 03-29-2010, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Understood and forgot you can format your database countless ways. I dont have such flexibility since I began my list more than 25 years ago during the age of VHS as a simple word document and re-formatted it to microsoft word instead of excell (which I should have done). I update it on my PC at work (only have a MSNTV-2browser at home) and have a printout stored in a nice binder. The pages are separated by letter so I don't have to reprint the entire book whenever a new entry is made.

My main interest extends from the early talkies through the film-noir era.

My original home-recorded VHS index in the MS Works database format was begun in 1987 and by 1997 it had around 7,700 titles, mostly from The Nostalgia Channel, AMC and TCM. Even though that index was not kept current after 1997 it was of much value during my extensive selective dubbing project.

In 2005 I purchased the first of my Panasonic DVD recorders. By that time I had around 1,825 videotapes. I purchased several other Panasonic recorders in anticipation of the selective dubbing project. During a ten month period in 2007 I copied to DVD around 5,200 videotaped recordings worthy of preservation. This project had between four and seven Panasonic recorders each running up to eighteen hours per day. The project also made use of two circa 1996 Toshiba VCRs when Panasonic DMR-ES30V and DMR-ES35V combo recorders had some difficulty tracking most Sony "V" T-160 videotapes.

Currently, there are four Panasonic DVD recorders and three Magnavox and Philips HDD/DVD recorders set up to record from TCM. There are also other Panasonic, Magnavox and Philips recorders set up to record other programming.

With my extensive archive I watch whatever I please, whenever I please.

post #555 of 1849 Old 03-30-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

With my extensive archive I watch whatever I please, whenever I please.

In VHS quality
post #556 of 1849 Old 03-30-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

In VHS quality

But the old black and whites I dubbed to DVD and playback upconverted to 1080i don't look bad at all. In fact, I was surprised to see how the early two-strip technicolor silent "The Viking" was really quite pleasant to watch, considering it originated from a six hour speed VHS (and that I thought upconversion to 1080i would bring out more of the limitated resolution than enhance it).

And don't forget, it's either this or nothing when it comes to titles not having been aired by TCM in over a decade and not available on DVD.

Ciao
post #557 of 1849 Old 03-30-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:

But the old black and whites I dubbed to DVD and playback upconverted to 1080i don't look bad at all.

Just last night I watched my M4V file of the old, original, 3:10 to Yuma (1957). I then linked that file to iTunes and copied it to my Apple TV's hard drive. When I ripped and converted my DVD in HandBrake, I did so at a high quality and it showed when I watched it again last night. The M4V file is almost 2Gb (1.94). Upconverted to 1080p, it looked every bit as good as I remember the DVD to have looked. The original 3:10 to Yuma is a gloriously photographed old move, which I would love to see released on BD.
post #558 of 1849 Old 03-30-2010, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 38
B&W videotape can surprise you as to how good it can look. Color is another thing entirely, however.

CW Hinkle
post #559 of 1849 Old 03-30-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

B&W videotape can surprise you as to how good it can look. Color is another thing entirely, however.

Agree, and probably the reason why I was so surprised that the early two-strip technicolor silent didn't look so bad was because the color process was in it's infancy. By not being as full and natural it didn't lose much in the taping process.
post #560 of 1849 Old 03-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I too have noticed how well B&W MOVIES hold up to recording, even in slower speeds like LP. I HAVE 3 DVDR'S, a PHILLIPS 3576H,a MAGGY "A",and an LG DR 787T. All record B&W movies very well,but color movies must be recorded in SP mode to get a good copy worth watching and keeping. I can't wait for the day DISH NETWORK carries TCM in HD. just my .02 cts.
post #561 of 1849 Old 03-30-2010, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

I can't wait for the day DISH NETWORK carries TCM in HD.

Well, if the rumors become reality, you won't have to wait much longer.
post #562 of 1849 Old 03-30-2010, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

I too have noticed how well B&W MOVIES hold up to recording, even in slower speeds like LP. I HAVE 3 DVDR'S, a PHILLIPS 3576H,a MAGGY "A",and an LG DR 787T. All record B&W movies very well,but color movies must be recorded in SP mode to get a good copy worth watching and keeping. I can't wait for the day DISH NETWORK carries TCM in HD. just my .02 cts.

We have the Panasonic EA 18 and it does a great job recording even in the four hour speed, that's why I've been able to piggy-back films onto one DVD-R. Even older color films like "Blue Skies" can be paired with another using flexible speed. Now that TCM has gone HD, I do limit contemporary films from that and other HD stations to one per disc, as dubbing off 1080i, even when downconverted, still produces a great quality recording.
post #563 of 1849 Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The original 3:10 to Yuma is a gloriously photographed old move, which I would love to see released on BD.

The original was shown in HD on Cinemax not too long ago. Hope you caught it!
post #564 of 1849 Old 04-10-2010, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

"Hang 'em High" appeared slightly window-boxed on one of our sets while letter-boxed on the other. It's my guess that monitors with an overscan close to 0% will still see pillers as opposed to those with it set to about 5%.
post #565 of 1849 Old 04-10-2010, 10:38 PM

Liked: 10
For what it's worth...I record TCM HD (and MGMHD too) on an HD Tivo. Then I transfer the tivo recording to my computer with Tivo To Go, use Video Redo Plus to convert and edit to an external hard drive, then use a WD Media Player to play back the HD material on my HT.
post #566 of 1849 Old 04-14-2010, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, if the rumors are true, those of you with Dish Network should be very happy this coming Monday.
post #567 of 1849 Old 04-14-2010, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I rarely tune to TCM HD due to the poor pq just like I rarely tune to IFC HD.
(showing mostly movies from the 30's and 40's doesn't help either)
post #568 of 1849 Old 04-14-2010, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I love movies from the 30s and 40s. I am hoping I am one of those happy DISH customers bruin95 is speaking about!

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #569 of 1849 Old 04-14-2010, 10:09 PM

FYI - In case no-one noticed, TCM-HD was rolled out on Comcast Chicagoland today (along with a TON of other channels that had been SD-only prior to today) Has this been the case elsewhere also?
post #570 of 1849 Old 04-15-2010, 12:06 AM

Wake up, DirecTV! We want it too!

I'm not crazy!  My mother had me tested...

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page