Turner Classic Movies (TCM) in HDTV! - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
post #1891 of 1901 Old 04-15-2015, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
Can't you zoom window boxed 16x9 content? I thought any cable source could do that. Of course, it's not HD, but it fills the screen.

But if it's just non-HD you are complaining about, then nevermind.
Yes I can zoom in the picture to fill the screen, but it just makes the quality of the video that much worse to look at. You lose detail as well as softening of the picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1901 Old 04-15-2015, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Yeah I just got a chance to check and everything on my Joey says HD.
I guess that's one of the few benefits of my old VIP 612.
post #1893 of 1901 Old 05-16-2015, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just caught the tail end of "Mighty Joe Young" and I don't think it was an upscale...could be one of their HDs that could be coming to BD? Hope...hope...hope!!!!!

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

My equipment consists of: Epson 9500 UB Projector(Avical ISFd); 110" 16x9 JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player, Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC DVR-HD Cable Box; 5 Bello chairs.
post #1894 of 1901 Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Considering the lack of posts lately, I guess there hasn't been much "true" HD stuff on the channel. Very frustrating that so little of what TCM HD is playing is in HD, and even more frustrating that there is no way to know in advance what is in HD. I DVR'ed the entire night of Disney stuff last night. Not one show, except for maybe the animated shorts, was in HD. And this is a new contract with Disney. So unless Disney does not have HD masters of these shows/movies (possible for some, but surely not all), I have to wonder how much effort TCM is making to acquire HD material.
post #1895 of 1901 Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have seen a great deal of HD material on TCM. The Disney material was mostly transferred earlier and not specifically for TCM but looked extremely good. In recent weeks some HD titles have included Close Encounters, The Harder They Fall, The Wild One, Gypsy, Auntie Mame too name a few.
post #1896 of 1901 Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
There's HD stuff on there all the time, after awhile there's no point saying "Look here, looking there." Pretty easy to see right away, especially on the widescreen era movies. Upscaled ones tend to have the not-quite-fitting the screen TCM look, while the HD ones do.
post #1897 of 1901 Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The film noir series airing on Fridays is chock full of HD goodness. Losts of old B&W films look better than I have ever seen before- sharp and with a full, creamy tonal range.

CW Hinkle
post #1898 of 1901 Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post
Considering the lack of posts lately, I guess there hasn't been much "true" HD stuff on the channel. Very frustrating that so little of what TCM HD is playing is in HD, and even more frustrating that there is no way to know in advance what is in HD. I DVR'ed the entire night of Disney stuff last night. Not one show, except for maybe the animated shorts, was in HD. And this is a new contract with Disney. So unless Disney does not have HD masters of these shows/movies (possible for some, but surely not all), I have to wonder how much effort TCM is making to acquire HD material.

Actually, there's more HD than not, these days.
post #1899 of 1901 Old Today, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 View Post
Actually, there's more HD than not, these days.
Well, 8 straight hours of no HD on Thursday night. Maybe I need to pay more attention. I'll start DVRing everything that isn't already on Blu ray and report back in one week what I find. I currently see a colorful but flat Seven Brides for Seven Brothers on the channel.
post #1900 of 1901 Old Today, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Not all of their offerings are that great, but it's on the old silent classics where TCM's PQ really seems to shine, look at the bitrate around this scene from Buster Keaton's "The Paleface".

Click image for larger version

Name:	The Paleface, bitrate.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	812634
post #1901 of 1901 Unread Today, 09:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solfan View Post
Not all of their offerings are that great, but it's on the old silent classics where TCM's PQ really seems to shine, look at the bitrate around this scene from Buster Keaton's "The Paleface".
I note that your cable provider does not deliver TCM as copy-protected, thus enabling you to record/edit/play it from a TS (transcribed via firewire from a DVR recording? edited from WMC and direct WTV recording?). Very fortunate.

TWC/LA copy-protects everything, which also encrypts everything. So neither PotPlayer nor any other media player or editor (e.g. VideoReDo) program is of any value. Only true TWC-provided DVRs and WMC (with cablecard-enabled TV tuner cards) can be used to record/playback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming