Turner Classic Movies (TCM) in HDTV! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1770 Old 07-06-2009, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For those who have it, MGM-HD suffices quite nicely for stellat HD presentations of classic films. Along with HDNet Movies, there are more than enough classics to tide us over. Just today: REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, SOME LIKE IT HOT, BATTLE OF BRITAIN, INHERIT THE WIND, JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBURG, GOOD, THE BAD, & THE UGLY, THE BRIDE WORE BLACK, GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY, etc. etc. etc. So the wait for TCM-HD isn't too excruciating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1770 Old 07-06-2009, 01:56 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

For those who have it, MGM-HD suffices quite nicely for stellat HD presentations of classic films. Along with HDNet Movies, there are more than enough classics to tide us over. Just today: REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, SOME LIKE IT HOT, BATTLE OF BRITAIN, INHERIT THE WIND, JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBURG, GOOD, THE BAD, & THE UGLY, THE BRIDE WORE BLACK, GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY, etc. etc. etc. So the wait for TCM-HD isn't too excruciating.

I have it, but am less than enthused about the commercials that I've been catching. I thought we paid for this channel.

So for me, TCM (and HDNM) stand alone.

I'm not crazy!  My mother had me tested...

post #183 of 1770 Old 07-06-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Patterson View Post

I have it, but am less than enthused about the commercials that I've been catching. I thought we paid for this channel.

Didn't know MGM-HD aired commercial interruptions. Got turned off to AMC (also in HD) because it went that route many years ago.

Now I don't feel so bad that New York City CV doesn't offer MGM-HD. The only way to watch classics is to watch them they way they were meant to be.
post #184 of 1770 Old 07-06-2009, 03:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Gee, we don't pay for ESPN or USA or any of the other myriad channels which bombard us with commercials?

I didn't know they were all free.
post #185 of 1770 Old 07-06-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
You mean in a theater, with people casually chatting, latecomers opening the door so the screen washes out, the guy or gal next to you scrunching popcorn -- oh, and you and having paid $10 or more?

Classics certainly were not intended to be seen on a 50" (give or take a foot or two) widescreen home entertainment unit -- and for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin View Post

...The only way to watch classics is to watch them they way they were meant to be.

post #186 of 1770 Old 07-06-2009, 04:02 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Patterson View Post

The only thing that airs during the movie itself is a one or two minute promo for some other MGMHD movie, just once usually. After the movies are over, there's often a few to get to the top of the hour, or whenever the next film starts. That promo is about two clicks of the FF on your DVR remote, which isn't a big deal.
post #187 of 1770 Old 07-06-2009, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Some movies are shown without interuptions on MGM and the ones that are, are usually longer than 2 hours. The commercial or add is only about 2 minutes. On another note, I get MGM on D* and the audio volume seems quite a bit lower than other channels. Anyone notice this?
post #188 of 1770 Old 07-06-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

Gee, we don't pay for ESPN or USA or any of the other myriad channels which bombard us with commercials?

I didn't know they were all free.

Contextually, you'll see we were discussing movie channels, ie TCM-HD, MGM-HD. While I accept that the majority of my monthly payment is for crap I will never see, I reserve the right to be picky over D* HD Extra Pack advertising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonesCat View Post

The only thing that airs during the movie itself is a one or two minute promo for some other MGMHD movie, just once usually. After the movies are over, there's often a few to get to the top of the hour, or whenever the next film starts. That promo is about two clicks of the FF on your DVR remote, which isn't a big deal.

You're right - maybe one per movie isn't so bad - but these seem to occur while in the midst of a near-silent portion of my "primary" movie, usually late at night when the house is sleeping, where I am jarred awake with the lion roar, said two-minute promo for whatever, and then right back into the same scene interrupted. HDNM and TCM have no such flaw.

I'm not crazy!  My mother had me tested...

post #189 of 1770 Old 07-06-2009, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

You mean in a theater, with people casually chatting, latecomers opening the door so the screen washes out, the guy or gal next to you scrunching popcorn -- oh, and you and having paid $10 or more?

Classics certainly were not intended to be seen on a 50" (give or take a foot or two) widescreen home entertainment unit -- and for free.

No, don't mean that way!

If we skip the $10 admission, people chatting, the screen washing out as the door opens, noise from eating (and let's not forget the screen being blocked by people in front of you, having to sit in uncomfortable chairs and missing a portion of the film when having to go to the bathroom) then the classics can indeed be seen the way they were intended to be.

50" TV screen? That's the equivalent of sitting in the fifth or sixth row up front.

Widescreen? We're actually better off than the early days of cinamascope - in the fifties and early sixties some theaters didn't expand their screens for wider viewing - they just dropped curtains down from the top for the equivalent of letterbox programming on a 4x3 screen. The bigger theaters simply pulled curtains in for the old square-shaped ones.

Come to think of it, those were the good old days before home theater that were really rotton!
post #190 of 1770 Old 07-06-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post

Some movies are shown without interuptions on MGM and the ones that are, are usually longer than 2 hours. The commercial or add is only about 2 minutes. On another note, I get MGM on D* and the audio volume seems quite a bit lower than other channels. Anyone notice this?

Never noticed it (via FiOS). Maybe because it's not 5.1 audio. And I also don't consider the MGM promo a "commercial" per se It's just a one-time break, and I often welcome it as it lets me know about some films coming that I may not have been aware of. That's a lot different than trying to sell me grouting kits or video games. The3 very brief break also comes in handy when the bathroom is needed. MGM-HD is nowhere near as reprehensible as, say, the now completely valueless (in every way) Universal-HD.
post #191 of 1770 Old 07-07-2009, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Yeah, I tend to skip Universal these days. Too many interruptions to bother.

post #192 of 1770 Old 07-07-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

Never noticed it (via FiOS). Maybe because it's not 5.1 audio. And I also don't consider the MGM promo a "commercial" per se It's just a one-time break, and I often welcome it as it lets me know about some films coming that I may not have been aware of. That's a lot different than trying to sell me grouting kits or video games. The3 very brief break also comes in handy when the bathroom is needed. MGM-HD is nowhere near as reprehensible as, say, the now completely valueless (in every way) Universal-HD.

For me, only problem is even one commercial interruption makes it a hassle to dub onto DVD from a DVR, unlike TCM which one just starts and can then forget.

Are the films on MGM-HD edited for television or shown with language, violence, etc. in tact?
post #193 of 1770 Old 07-07-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Yeah, I tend to skip Universal these days. Too many interruptions to bother.

Skip over it for the same reason. And it was only about two years ago that Universal had no commerical interruptions.
post #194 of 1770 Old 07-07-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Didn't know that DVHS allowed for single copying - not many of us own such machines. Doesn't that copy once also apply to CD recordings?

I know, it's a shame that JVC stopped making and selling these machines. Fortunately, I have two (40K and DT100U) which I hope will last forever. Otherwise, only re-sales of these used non-new used machines are your only hope, and then who knows what you're getting. Luckily, there are still sources for blank JVC DF300/DF420 DVHS media which I still buy once a year or so.

Anyway, I'm not sure I understand exactly what your first question is asking. The "copy once" designation applies to DVHS tape, not the recording on the DVR. So when you archive from DVR to DVHS, that's the first generation copy and is allowed... always. So you can always transfer any DVR recording to DVHS, even HBOHD, etc. It is pay-per-view which is "copy never" which cannot be recorded to DVR and also cannot be recorded to DVHS (in real time) via firewire.

Quote:
I returned a Toshiba DVD recorder after it's copy protection circuit popped in on everything, even with signals coming through via RF cable!

Don't understand this, unless it was macrovision or something like that (imbedded in the content) involved here, which used to prevent macrovision-protected VHS tapes from being copied to VHS tapes (or, presumably, to DVD recorders now). If you were trying to copy something from DVR using an RF/coax cable out of the DVR (worst 480i video quality, of course) then it had to be some kind of analog protection mechanism, assuming there is a way for the content provider to apply that to the underlying content to try and prevent analog copying. I'm surprised they would bother with this, since it's the digital perfect copies that are really the prize.

However firewire archiving from DVR to DVHS is pure digital data transfer, 100% exact bit-for-bit copy. Not analog. And no analog protection system applies here. The assumption is that 5C protection (and 5C-compliant DVHS VCRs) will prevent duplicating the 1st-generation DVHS copy (which is permitted) onto a [perfect] 2nd-generation DVHS copy.

Note that the Moto DVRs allow for a setup option [AllTo480i] downconverting everything to 480i (including output to component video and HDMI), which activates the S-video and composite video outputs for HD (720p/1080i) DVR programs and recordings. So you can make an S-VHS/VHS copy of an HD program (recorded or live) on a conventional VCR. While this would be letterboxed 16:9 (in 4:3) and superior video quality to an ordinary 480i recording, it's analog and it's not HD. However it would also send the exact same 480i letterboxed 16:9 output (in 4:3 real estate) to a connected 16:9 HDTV via component video and HDMI.

Any copy protection circuitry in your now-returned Toshiba DVR recorder would have to be located there (since it's not in the analog circuitry of the DVR), and based on the presence or macrovision or similar analog security mechism in the actual program content.
post #195 of 1770 Old 07-07-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi DS,

It's been such a long time since I last attempted making a digital copy from a CD that you will have to excuse me if my memory is off.
From what my brother has told me either a single, digital copy can be made from a CD onto a CDR or that the digital copy already on CDR can be digitally copied just once. I know when I try making digital dups on my mini-disc or CD recorder, the copy protection comes on and I have to downconvert it to analog.

Regarding that Toshiba recorder, it wasn't macrovision protection preventing dubbing from the DVR, it was a defect in the machine. Many on Amazon had the same problem and either returned or junked it. No problem with the Panasonic recorder that replaced it.

Even though picture quality is downconverted from 1080i to 480i, dubs from a HD source still exhibit more color and sharpness from that of standard definition. Use of the S-video output from the DVR to the recorder is far superior over RCA connecions. And then my Sony KD34SBR960 has a line doubler which IMHO is better than an upconverting DVD player. So while not HD, the copies are a good substitute.
post #196 of 1770 Old 07-11-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I've noticed an increase in films from the 1960s airing on Cinemax's multiplex channels lately, so that should bode well for TCM's eventual transition from upconverts to native HD.
post #197 of 1770 Old 07-11-2009, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

I've noticed an increase in films from the 1960s airing on Cinemax's multiplex channels lately, so that should bode well for TCM's eventual transition from upconverts to native HD.

Turner can only re-master films they own in their video library so a 1080i version aired on a premium channel doesn't mean the same will also be aired on TCM-HD. Usually those also seen on other premium stations are not owned by Turner, i.e. 1968's"Romeo and Juliet" or "Love Story", both of which are being aired this week on HBO.

Another forum member explained that different quality prints of the same title exist but due to various economic and/or legal issues some stations might not always be able to obtain a copy of the best edition available. For example, I've seen films like "Wall Street" (owned by FOX and aired on the Fox Movie Channel) where the picture quality was quite disappointing when on HBO or Starz HD. I've also seen "Duel In The Sun"(owned by Turner) aired on either HBO or Starz without the overture, intermission and exit music.

AMC has been HD for a few years yet the quality of widescreen movies is usually quite awful.
post #198 of 1770 Old 07-14-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now I don't feel so bad that New York City CV doesn't offer MGM-HD. The only way to watch classics is to watch them they way they were meant to be.

May I borrow your time machine... I'll be happy to *pay you a substantial fee

*On the return trip of course.
post #199 of 1770 Old 07-18-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.greenway View Post

May I borrow your time machine... I'll be happy to *pay you a substantial fee

*On the return trip of course.

Might be safer to watch the Rod Taylor classic instead. Remember what happened after Mort accidentally mistook Stewie's time machine for a port-o-san?
post #200 of 1770 Old 08-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Has TCM HD shown up anywhere besides Cablevision in the New York City area?

There were some posts in this thread back in June about launches in various markets in mid-July (e.g. Comcast in Seattle, TWC in some small markets) but I haven't seen anything further here. Just wondering.

Atlanta over-the-air digital TV reference table, now with Atlanta OTA FAQ:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16732147
post #201 of 1770 Old 08-05-2009, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC47 View Post

Has TCM HD shown up anywhere besides Cablevision in the New York City area?

Yes, it's on some Comcast & TWC systems; not widespread as yet.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #202 of 1770 Old 08-05-2009, 09:31 PM

Due on TWC NYC on Aug. 20.
post #203 of 1770 Old 08-20-2009, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgarden View Post

Due on TWC NYC on Aug. 20.

Hey, i'm in L.A., the film capitol of the world, where can i find out if TCM HD, the best movie channel by far, is coming to TWC here in L.A.? I just bought a $3000 HDTV and i want to see ZULU in glorious HD.
post #204 of 1770 Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 81
What did TWC say when you called them?

post #205 of 1770 Old 08-20-2009, 10:24 PM

Does anyone know if there are any plans for TCM to launch an HD VOD? They currently have an SD version. I'd be happy if we got TCM-HD on Fios but we don't yet.
post #206 of 1770 Old 08-22-2009, 08:57 AM

Disappointed by how little of the widescreen content is anamorphic, let alone HD. I don't blame them for wanting to get in the HD lineup ASAP, though.
post #207 of 1770 Old 08-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

andgarden, did TCM-HD show up on TWC in Manhattan on August 20th as expected?

Atlanta over-the-air digital TV reference table, now with Atlanta OTA FAQ:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16732147
post #208 of 1770 Old 08-22-2009, 01:43 PM

Yup, the 19th actually.
post #209 of 1770 Old 08-23-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by andgarden View Post

Disappointed by how little of the widescreen content is anamorphic, let alone HD. I don't blame them for wanting to get in the HD lineup ASAP, though.

Tuned in Dr. Strangelove yesterday and there were bars on both the sides and the top.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #210 of 1770 Old 08-23-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Tuned in Dr. Strangelove yesterday and there were bars on both the sides and the top.

Yup, I recorded it. You'd think they'd at least be able to scour up a 16x9 master.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page