2009 NBA The Finals - On ABC HD! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 85 Old 06-07-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Viewing game 2 on WXYZ-DT ABC Detroit via Comcast.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 85 Old 06-07-2009, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audio seems very quiet overall on the SD feed. WCVB Boston via Comcast. The ABC bug is also slightly cutoff and only the AB is viewable.
post #33 of 85 Old 06-07-2009, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Somebody kill 720p before I do. TNT, I miss thee.

CRT for Life! Don't Downgrade!!

post #34 of 85 Old 06-07-2009, 09:27 PM

I agree that ABC's coverage has been lukewarm at best. It makes me want to harken back to the days when NBC had the NBA. And it's too bad the ESPN crew couldn't swap places with the TNT crew. I'd gladly get my info by Marv Alpert, Doug Collins, and of course, the trio of Ernie Johnson, Kenny SMith, and Charles Barkeley.
post #35 of 85 Old 06-08-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by yudaman33 View Post

I agree that ABC's coverage has been lukewarm at best. It makes me want to harken back to the days when NBC had the NBA. And it's too bad the ESPN crew couldn't swap places with the TNT crew. I'd gladly get my info by Marv Alpert, Doug Collins, and of course, the trio of Ernie Johnson, Kenny SMith, and Charles Barkeley.

The TNT guys have chemistry, but it couldn't be recreated on ESPN. The TNT show is a bit of a mess, or is at very least is seemingly freeflowing in its organization. Lots of segments where you're not entirely sure exactly the purpose was (and now Charles Barkley will eat a cake, etc). ESPN in contrast is the epitome of being formulaic. Everything is scripted, often even the discussions, and timed down to the second. The kinda of free back and forth banter on TNT wouldn't happen on ESPN, they don't sit there long enough for it to develop. Everything is 'make your point' and move on.

As far as the broadcast, I was watching last night, no subchannels here, and though I wasn't blown away with the picture I didn't find it to be that disappointing. In fact the re-air looked outstanding. Closeups lon ABC ooked decent, not razor sharp but not obnoxious, the lighting in Staples (though it appears to have been dialed back so that now the first maybe 15 rows are lit now when before it was the first 2 or 3 rows), hides a lot of noise in the blacks, also with those white jerseys created a nice high contrast look. I did see mosquito noise and swimming court on the wide shots. The ESPN re-air though was pretty solid. Pregame show looked very good as well, the talent really pops off that dark background. IMO I think overall The Finals look a hair better than the ABC playoffs did, maybe because there is no Bristol integration, everything goes straight to NYC.
post #36 of 85 Old 06-09-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCTV99 View Post

IMO I think overall The Finals look a hair better than the ABC playoffs did, maybe because there is no Bristol integration, everything goes straight to NYC.

Aren't the lines from Bristol to ABC NY uncompressed 1.5Gbs? If so why would there be any degradation?
post #37 of 85 Old 06-09-2009, 06:04 PM

This picture just looks bad tonight.

FiOS WJLA in DC
post #38 of 85 Old 06-09-2009, 06:11 PM

Comcast WJLA in DC

PQ is awful, and the picture is stuttering. Not happening on any other channels.
post #39 of 85 Old 06-09-2009, 07:52 PM

I believe Barkley would say it looks "turrible".
I've come to gather it's in large part due to the ABC O&O sub channel policies, so it's not a revelation of any kind, but it looks like an overly compressed WMV or Quicktime video from a few years ago. At times it reminds me of a web-cam. Motion artifacts around the players, etc.
The close-ups and the commercials look pretty good, but the the graphics and the main wide-shot from the center court cam look pretty bad.

KABC-HD 7 via DirecTV in the Los Angeles area.

-Jr.
post #40 of 85 Old 06-09-2009, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

Aren't the lines from Bristol to ABC NY uncompressed 1.5Gbs? If so why would there be any degradation?

Yes, but that's another set of control rooms, facilities and encoders to go through...just more places to throw a monkey in the works.
post #41 of 85 Old 06-10-2009, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Digital control rooms shouldn't degrade image quality. What encoders are required on a live show? The backhaul is probably compressed, but what's the difference receiving it at Bristol and ABC NYC?
post #42 of 85 Old 06-10-2009, 12:20 PM

Finally got a chance to actually sit down and watch game 3 in hd (comcast in PA). The NBA finals on ABC picture is nothing to HD about. ESPN HD and TNT HD seem to be so much better.

Just want to add my 2 cents about the picture quailty on ABC NBA Finals. I have not gotten a chance to watch any nfl football in HD on my new tv but hopefully it won't be like this.
post #43 of 85 Old 06-10-2009, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 106
very soft pq last night.

that's the best abc can do?

move over nbc, i think abc is assuming your throne of network with
worst sports hd pq.

you guys should all be so proud to send out such crap
post #44 of 85 Old 06-11-2009, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderSPE View Post

Anyone having issues while watching the NBA Finals? Everytime there is a stop in the action and they switch to an instant replay and then back to live action the picture gets very blurry then fades back to high quality HD. It looks like it is happening on SD as well. Dunno if it is the broadcast, my cable co's feed (Northern Virginia COX) or my TV Sony Z4100).

Its so bad, i'm very surprised it doesn't have its own thread. I can hardly stand to watch this series on ABC due to the out of focus lead-in's when switching cameras. I've been a member here for a long time, don't post much, but remember reading threads about this a few years back, and still it being an issue just blows me away. How can a chain of production people and the big wigs just let this be this way? Both ESPN and TNT, just kick ABC's butt with crisp, clear camera shots. Man, it makes me almost seasick just sitting on my couch its so bad.

I've watched it on Dishnet HD, and OTA HD, and its just lame!
post #45 of 85 Old 06-11-2009, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinstonWolf View Post

Comcast WJLA in DC

PQ is awful, and the picture is stuttering. Not happening on any other channels.

I'm not noticing any stutter tonight (nor did I for the last game, watching on FiOS), but it's the same murky mess that live sports always seem to be on WJLA. I don't know why the picture sucks, but it's pretty obvious that the poor picture is due to WJLA, since ESPN has been re-airing the Finals overnight and the re-air is up to quality with every other ESPN presentation and is not plagued by the focus blur.

I'd say it's the subchannels, but the local NBC affiliate has one more subchannel than WJLA and it handles live sports just fine.
post #46 of 85 Old 06-11-2009, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watching in So Fla. The PQ isn't spectacular, but not finding it objectionable. Definitely not seeing the blur effect, all the wipes are clean. I am however seeing very noisy colors, those dark blues and blacks especially are nasty. There's definitely compression noise in the image, but not objectionable, the mesh behind the scorebug is even holding up decently. Commercials are hit or miss, but motion seems to be holding up reasonably well on the high iso replays, the parquet court is swimming a little on the skycam and all that white in the crowd and the strobes on big wide shots are giving fits, but otherwise it looks fine. Not put-your-hand-through-the-display quality, but certainly average for HD sports these days from this vantage point.

Now the audio is a different story. The pregame show was all over the place, not so much from a mix perspective, but it sounded almost like that surround issue ABC was having a while back with Lost where the center channel information was buried and lots of LFE. Like a bad upmix or something. The game itself sounds okay.
post #47 of 85 Old 06-11-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 754
Wow, Kobe's actually playin' some defense; my heart may stop.....!

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #48 of 85 Old 06-11-2009, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
I'm seeing the entire picture frequently go blurry for a second or two on WOI-DT via Mediacom in Des Moines.
post #49 of 85 Old 06-12-2009, 12:52 AM

The Game 4 win for the Lakers over the Magic marked their first road win in The Finals since Game 4 of the 2002 NBA Finals at Continental Airlines Arena, which was the last game Chick Hearn ever broadcast for the Lakers. Let the riots resume in Los Angeles on Sunday night !

BTW any screencaps of the activities ?
post #50 of 85 Old 06-12-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I could see a lot of grain with the floor level cameras, particularly in the dark areas of the arena. Upper cameras look good though.
post #51 of 85 Old 06-12-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post

I'm seeing the entire picture frequently go blurry for a second or two on WOI-DT via Mediacom in Des Moines.

I saw the same thing, then I noticed the crowd was in focus and the players were not. I guess they are paying their camera guys the "focus optional" rate.

You don't watch HDTV, you experience it...
post #52 of 85 Old 06-12-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I was watching this last night and had to come and check if similar results for other people, and it is true. The picture was blurry after camera shots and it took a few seconds to come into focus. It was not doing very well with the low bitrate or whatever it was. A real poor job but I haven't ever been impressed with ABC's live events with how they look/sound. They are below Fox now for me.
post #53 of 85 Old 06-12-2009, 05:16 PM

Not only do the Finals look terrible on ABC, but has anyone else noticed the muffled audio? It sounds like mono at a low bit rate. I can't wait until the day where everything will be broadcast in 1080p at Blu-ray bit rates and uncompressed PCM audio. One day, my friends.
post #54 of 85 Old 06-13-2009, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunknet View Post

Not only do the Finals look terrible on ABC, but has anyone else noticed the muffled audio? It sounds like mono at a low bit rate. I can't wait until the day where everything will be broadcast in 1080p at Blu-ray bit rates and uncompressed PCM audio. One day, my friends.

Good luck. You got a long time to wait for that one. Like probably so long that some other form of content distribution method will have come along, or online content will have usurped broadcasting.
post #55 of 85 Old 06-13-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
ESPN announced that the Rose Bowl will be moving to ESPN starting in 2011 along with the rest of the BCS. How long before ABC gives up sports entirely and shifts everything to ESPN? Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.
post #56 of 85 Old 06-13-2009, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

ESPN announced that the Rose Bowl will be moving to ESPN starting in 2011 along with the rest of the BCS. How long before ABC gives up sports entirely and shifts everything to ESPN? Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

I think the NBA is on ABC for a while. The Finals and the Sunday games are the only OTA broadcast professional basketball on the air these days. Certainly if ESPN ever got the Super Bowl back in the 2013 NFL Contract or bid on the Olympics that would be on ABC. Saturday Night College Football has been a ratings winner as well. I'm a bit surprised of them moving the BCS to ESPN. The Rose Bowl had a stipulation that it had to be OTA, they seemed to have reneged. The BCS games never rated that well on FOX (but the matchups during the FOX era were generally weak and FOX lacked ESPN's hype machine and imposed ridiculous footage embargoes basically limiting their exposure of games like Boise State/Oklahoma to still photographs). BCS ratings on ABC however were generally very high. The 2006 Texas/USC Championship rated over 20, I can't believe you'd ever see those kinds of numbers on ESPN.
post #57 of 85 Old 06-14-2009, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is anyone watching the pre game show? It doesnt look that sharp to me. The HD commercials look better.
post #58 of 85 Old 06-14-2009, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

Is anyone watching the pre game show? It doesnt look that sharp to me. The HD commercials look better.

It looks the same as it did the other night. The audio on the other hand is dreadful. Muffled, like bad encoding or something. I noticed it being bad the other night, but seemed to correct itself once the game kicked in, something is definitely up in the pregame truck...wonder what it would sound like if/when the show moves back to LA.
post #59 of 85 Old 06-14-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No something definitely up with the audio. Something is way out of phase, it's almost dizzying and the whole mix sounds like its mono. The upper frequencies in the FX mics are almost difficult to listen to. And the commercials sound fine. Maybe something not being passed correctly at uplink or at integration.

EDIT: Much of the mono sound appears to have been the local I'm watching on, though the out-of-phase problem with the Nats persists.
post #60 of 85 Old 06-14-2009, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some of the cameras are definately better than the others IMO, Maybe its the lighting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page