'Curb Your Enthusiasm' on HBO HD - Season 7 in HD! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 309 Old 10-12-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

I lost it when Larry was sleeping over the Green's house and yelled at the daughter to STFU when she was trying to sing again and then the daughter repeats what he said to the parents.

Comic genius!

That was great.
Young C is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 309 Old 10-12-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vpn75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Happened last night - too funny.

Wow, I hadn't seen Sherry Stringfield since NYPD Blue and didn't recall her having such a great body. I recognized the face but couldn't place her. First Sharon Lawrence, now SS. Is Amy Brenneman far behind?


I knew I remembered her from somewhere, but in my case it was actually from her stint on ER. Another funny episode last night! I almost lost it when Larry told Susie's daughter to STFU

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

vpn75 is online now  
post #93 of 309 Old 10-12-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dougotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Christian Slater's presence was good in last night's episode.

I thought last night's episode was the funniest of the season so far.

Slater's last scene was genius. "Are you looking for Larry David?" (points and grins)

Doug
dougotte is offline  
post #94 of 309 Old 10-12-2009, 10:01 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 95
On a related item...

The restaurant featured in the show last night, Matteo's, has been at that location in LA since about 1964. Back in the day, it was a real hangout for Sinatra-era Rat Pack types (i.e. NJ Italians and transplanted New Yorkers looking for delicious East Coast Italian food like they used to get... delicious baked clams and white clam sauce, wonderful red sauces, fried mozzarella, perfectly prepared pastas and sauces, veal, chops, steaks, fabulous stracciatella soup, unique inventions such as pizza bread, etc.) especially on Sunday night when the stars showed up (e.g. Don Rickles) and you could not get a table. The food was sensational. The menu was SUPERB!!! The food execution was SUPERB!!! Now THIS was Italian food, and in fact was a favorite of Sinatra's (expected signed pictures in the front gallery).

Well, like all things, change must come. First, the owner Matty Jordan died in 1999 and his wife/partner Jackie took over and ran the place. Same chef, same maitre 'd, same bar, same waiters, same menu, same great food... Of course the crowds had long since gone, partially because Sinatra had gone and with it much of the aura, but mostly because the Matteo's old-fashioned style of restaurant (portrayed perfectly and accurately in last night's Curb) wasn't very trendy any longer. As expected, the food began to go downhill.

Suddenly the menu changed and it was the chef who'd caused it. The new menu was not good, though many of the original dishes were still available "off-menu" if you knew to ask for them. Well, that too soon vanished and the new young waitstaff seemed like they'd been hired fresh off the street. The previously classic professional waiters and busboys disappeared, because they were no longer making money, because the customers were disappearing, because the food was now lousy.

This wife-run establishment obviously continued heading downhill with customers thinning out even further, and finally got sold in 2005 to a Santa Monica restaurant owner who tried to make a go of it. Once again there was a total menu makeover, and the food (in my opinion) did not improve. In my opinion, the food got worse.

So, having had a personal connection with this restaurant since I first got to LA in 1970 and discovered Matteo's (through the recommendation of a local LA foodie friend who introduced me to the place shortly after I arrived), I can say I've been going there for decades! I used to take family and friends and "visiting dignitaries" there, because the food was so East Coast Italian and delicious.

No longer, I'm sad to say. I probably haven't been there in two years. So I can't comment on what it's like right now, having not been there lately. But unless some miracle has occurred I would probably agree with Larry, who was disappointed in his osso bucco and couldn't believe his doctor had recommended the place.

The items on the menu (such few as still remained the last time I was there) sound much better than they actually taste once they appear. And the "crowd" (there the last time I was) is much younger and apparently less food-aware, in order for them to pay those prices for such disappointing fare.

I haven't thought to return lately, but last night's show reminded me that they even existed. A little Interweb searching turned up things reminding me that it probably isn't much improved from a few years back... for example they're now "Internet-savvy" and looking for some publicity.

But, I'm afraid the place is simply never going to be what it once was. A real disappointment, I'm afraid, from a transplanted New Yorker still always on the hunt for a delicious East Coast style Italian restaurant out here in LaLa Land.

Incidentally, there NEVER was an opera singer and accompanying accordian player in all the years I was there. Only recorded music (e.g. Sinatra) playing in the background. Perhaps that's something new, if it's actually real. I remember going to a wonderful Italian restaurant in South Philly many years ago which was famous for its huge recorded 78RPM vinyl record opera collection, which the owner would play requests from over the sound system. Again... recorded only, nothing as tacky as having a roving "mariachi" opera singer probably taking requests for tips.
DSperber is offline  
post #95 of 309 Old 10-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
eddie_d_lopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
appreciate the anecdotal restaurant connection DSperber, thanks.

Comcast, E.D.L.
eddie_d_lopez is offline  
post #96 of 309 Old 10-12-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dougotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Very interesting, DSperber. Growing up in DC, there was a restaurant called Roma in Cleveland Park. My parents first took me there. Like Matteo's, for many decades it was run by its founder, Tony Roma. However, by the time I started going there in the 70s, he had passed, and only the ambience remained. The food was so-so. I think my parents took me there based upon earlier memories, because they met in DC in the 50s.

The main dining room walls were lined with game heads (lions, deer, etc. etc.). There was a garden with trellis and vines out back that was nice on a Spring or Fall evening.

There was also a roving violinist and pianist. The singer in last night's episode especially reminded me of Roma's.

Sadly, Roma closed for good in probably the late 80s.

Doug
dougotte is offline  
post #97 of 309 Old 10-12-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Sadly, Roma closed for good in probably the late 80s.

Sometimes, these things happen for the best. It's the most merciful way to end... rather than continue to be dragged on for years by new owners who do things that old loyal customers only see as criminally insulting to the memory of the early history of the place.

I know there are several other such places in LA that actually did eventually close up shop, after the original owner sold out (either to the chef, or manager, or just some new owner) and the newly owned place (new name or not) just couldn't keep up what the original owner's "parental" attitude made happen.

Anybody who's lived in LA for a long time probably remembers Piccolo restaurant in the Beverlywood area (fabulous Austrian-owned European style family restaurant with unbelievable food at unbelievably affordable prices), as well as The Swiss Echo on Pico Blvd. across from the old May Company department store (run by another European family, with crispy duck and other specialties that were fantastic). Both gems were resold several times, but eventually succombed and are now long since gone (as is the May Company, I might add... long since gobbled up in the inevitable march to global corporatization).

Of course there was no competing with a restaurant like Piccolo run by an Austrian husband/wife, where the husband would run around stirring up the soup in large vats to be sure it was always hot and non-curdled, and where the crowd waiting to get in would sit on benches outside because the food was absolutely so delicious and available nowhere else. The "value" ratio of food-to-price at Piccolo still holds the world record for me, which was a neighborhood "secret" which we did not share lightly, so as to try and keep our wait to get in at a minimum. I used to sit at the counter (they had 5 stools) and used to love to watch the chef/crew cooking like crazy, as well as the owner who would come over every five minutes to stir the soup. Used to love the rhubarb and vanilla pudding dessert, as well as the pork chops with melted swiss cheese on top. Dessert or beverage included (not both, which you had to pay extra for if you wanted it) with the dinner price. Wonderful creamy/tangy salad dressing (soup or salad included). Delicious fresh baked assorted breads and rolls. $9.50!!!

Anyway, here is the current menu of the real Matteo's restaurant, which is not cheap. In the old days they also had lots of appetizers including several soups, veal and peppers as well as veal saltimbocca and other assorted veal specialties, etc. Trimmed down now, much more expensive, and definitely overpriced when you finally do get the dish placed in front of you and see it and taste it. The whole appearance of the new menu is to appear elegant and upscale. The appearance of the old menu was designed to appeal to lovers of Italian food.

I may go back there, just to see if anything has happened since my last visit a few years ago when I absolutely vowed never to return. They also have a little lunch/snack place next door that's still open during the day, named A Touch Of Hoboken that's run by the same ownership and kitchen. Different menu entirely.

I had to smile last night when Larry first mentioned it, that "there's a new place..." when in fact it is NOT new in real life. Old timers probably still have memories of when it was "hoppin'" on a Sunday and you were likely to be turned away if you showed up without a reservation. Of course that was when it had remarkable food... the true sign of a successful restaurant.
DSperber is offline  
post #98 of 309 Old 10-12-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mp3trojan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: On the eastern fringe of the Dallas DMA
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

I thought last night's episode was the funniest of the season so far.

Slater's last scene was genius. "Are you looking for Larry David?" (points and grins)

Doug

I have to disagree. So far it's "Vehicular Fellatio" for me.

100% Digital household since 2001
mp3trojan is offline  
post #99 of 309 Old 10-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Senior Member
 
randalthor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South Eastern Wisconsin
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

I lost it when Larry was sleeping over the Green's house and yelled at the daughter to STFU when she was trying to sing again and then the daughter repeats what he said to the parents.

Comic genius!

I was also rolling on the floor at that joke.

Does anyone else find themselves agreeing with Larry's character more and more? Christian Slater did take too much cavier. And what did Christian want Larry to do; take the blame for him? Larry was also right about the Green's daughter's singing. It was a cop out gift (not a real gift) and her singing was terrible.

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
randalthor is offline  
post #100 of 309 Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 1,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Off hand I'd say this episode contained the highest percentage of 'obnoxious Larry' that I can recall in seasons past. Hilarious.
Garrett Adams is offline  
post #101 of 309 Old 10-12-2009, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by randalthor View Post

I was also rolling on the floor at that joke.

Does anyone else find themselves agreeing with Larry's character more and more?

Seek help.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #102 of 309 Old 10-12-2009, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 10,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

Off hand I'd say this episode contained the highest percentage of 'obnoxious Larry' that I can recall in seasons past. Hilarious.

It definitely did and I thought it was the weakest episode in a long time because of it.

Usually David is arguing from a logical POV that mocks societies stupid conventions, but this week he was just an a**hole for no reason. Stopping the singing at the party was just him being a dick.

And this episode introduced another alternate universe moment. When David recognized his old girlfriend in the parking lot I was trying to figure out if he was recognizing the actress Sherry Stringfield or a character she was playing in the show. That means that both ER and NYPD Blue never existed in the world of Curb.


VisionOn is online now  
post #103 of 309 Old 10-12-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post


And this episode introduced another alternate universe moment. When David recognized his old girlfriend in the parking lot I was trying to figure out if he was recognizing the actress Sherry Stringfield or a character she was playing in the show. That means that both ER and NYPD Blue never existed in the world of Curb.

Or they existed without her.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
post #104 of 309 Old 10-13-2009, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Usually David is arguing from a logical POV that mocks societies stupid conventions, but this week he was just an a**hole for no reason. Stopping the singing at the party was just him being a dick.

I disagree. There are those times when a parent thinks their child is so gifted and talented they have them perform, when the reality is they actually suck, but they can’t or won’t see it, and those having to endure the pain of listening to the child, suck it up and won’t say a thing because they don’t want to offend. To me that scene is about what a lot of people would like to do but don’t have the nerve to do. C’mon, how pompous is it that your gift to the couple is to have your child sing?
Aliens is offline  
post #105 of 309 Old 10-13-2009, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 10,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I disagree. There are those times when a parent thinks their child is so gifted and talented they have them perform, when the reality is they actually suck, but they can’t or won’t see it, and those having to endure the pain of listening to the child, suck it up and won’t say a thing because they don’t want to offend. To me that scene is about what a lot of people would like to do but don’t have the nerve to do. C’mon, how pompous is it that your gift to the couple is to have your child sing?

That's irrelevant. However he feels doesn't matter. It wasn't his party, it wasn't his house. Thirty seconds earlier he was on food patrol lecturing Christian Slater on proper social etiquette then broke the same rules. It wasn't ironic either since David was an ass all the way through this episode. He didn't have a logical argument for any of his views this episode and didn't create a scene by attempting to do the right thing. Which is the basis for most of his actions.

Like the freak book incident at the last party. He felt bad for the driver begin excluded and caused a disaster, and he felt bad for the bar tender and caused a scene but on both cases never took matters into his own hands. He ran it past Danson in both cases. This time he just took over the party for no reason other than his own arrogance.

David was just being an ass.


VisionOn is online now  
post #106 of 309 Old 10-13-2009, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

David was just being an ass.

I guess we have a different point of view about Curb. Larry is and always will be a neurotic obnoxious ass, and this week was no different. That’s why some people can’t stand Curb and others love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

That's irrelevant. However he feels doesn't matter. It wasn't his party, it wasn't his house. Thirty seconds earlier he was on food patrol lecturing Christian Slater on proper social etiquette then broke the same rules. It wasn't ironic either since David was an ass all the way through this episode. He didn't have a logical argument for any of his views this episode and didn't create a scene by attempting to do the right thing. Which is the basis for most of his actions.

Logic has no place in Curb. Being right in Larry's mind doesn’t mean its right in other peoples mind.
Aliens is offline  
post #107 of 309 Old 10-13-2009, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kevinivey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 3,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I actually had to turn the volume down, but I still laughed.
kevinivey is offline  
post #108 of 309 Old 10-13-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post


Logic has no place in Curb.

That's the money quote. Larry's neuroses has always been the basis of his humor, going all the way back to Seinfeld. His obnoxiousness is just an add "bonus".
Joseph is offline  
post #109 of 309 Old 10-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
eddie_d_lopez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
first season for me, but i thought this episode had too much of a rather annoying larry. not to say i didn't have some laughs, but he was a bit aggravating at times.

Comcast, E.D.L.
eddie_d_lopez is offline  
post #110 of 309 Old 10-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Cosmos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

... I was trying to figure out if he was recognizing the actress Sherry Stringfield or a character she was playing in the show. That means that both ER and NYPD Blue never existed in the world of Curb.

And I was wondering why a library cop was pretending to be Philip Baker Hall playing a doctor, or was the library cop really a doctor, and why didn't Larry recognize the library cop from the "Seinfeld" episode that he himself helped create? Did "Seinfeld" not exist in Larry David's world?

Wait until later in the season when it gets even more complicated. The real Seinfeld will be pretending to play himself pretending to play himself pretending to play himself as a character named Seifeld on a TV sitcom.
Cosmos2 is offline  
post #111 of 309 Old 10-13-2009, 01:24 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_d_lopez View Post

first season for me, but i thought this episode had too much of a rather annoying larry. not to say i didn't have some laughs, but he was a bit aggravating at times.

I agree.

Larry (the character) is normally quite neurotic (and a hypochondriac), and that's what makes the show very amusing.

But I found myself observing that his behavior this week was really totally "out of character", even for Larry. Totally uncalled for, rude, and nobody would ever behave that way... his interruption of Jeff's daughter's singing (regardless of what he was saying to the people around him), his calling out of the opera singer at Matteo's, his getting into an argument with Ted over not being invited to dinner with the gift money he'd given him, his characterizing the gift money as really something special (when, after all, it was just money), intruding on the doctor's personal life in so many ways,...

I mean anybody, even Larry, has some kind of manners and sense of appropriate behavior. All of these were simply phony, badly presented, poorly written, and annoying to me. I didn't really find it amusing, especially his obscenities launched at Jeff's daughter in the morning while he was sleeping in their guest room. I mean that's just not real behavior, and I didn't find it amusing.

Hey... I'm this show's biggest fan. But this episode came out of nowhere as being very atypical. I'd put it way down low on the list.

I happen to adore Sherry Stringfield, ever since she appeared in the first season of "NYPD Blue" as David Caruso's ex-wife. So it was a real treat to see her again.

She really hasn't changed very much in the past 16 years.

DSperber is offline  
post #112 of 309 Old 10-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
Cosmos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you that nicely done review. I would have just said that it stunk.
Cosmos2 is offline  
post #113 of 309 Old 10-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Senior Member
 
gruven42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chi-burbs
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Totally uncalled for, rude, and nobody would ever behave that way

You realize the show is in season 7, right?
gruven42 is offline  
post #114 of 309 Old 10-13-2009, 01:47 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruven42 View Post

You realize the show is in season 7, right?

Of course. I've been watching (like you, I guess) since Day 1.

And I would still put this episode at the extreme edge of the bell-shaped curve... 99th percentile. Very unlikable Larry, in a not-funny way.
DSperber is offline  
post #115 of 309 Old 10-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
Cosmos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just had a crazy idea. Maybe they will connect Larry's out-of-character behavior with the Michael Richards incident? Larry told Joy Behar that they will "touch upon" that at some point during the season. Larry could ask Richards for advice on how to apologize, for example.
Cosmos2 is offline  
post #116 of 309 Old 10-13-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dm145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 4,815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
larry is always a douche
that's what makes the show so funny
dm145 is offline  
post #117 of 309 Old 10-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Cosmos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Everybody has boundaries that they don't cross. Even a douche. Larry crossed his boundaries in ways that were not funny. Pushing the girl away to stop her from singing wasn't funny. Pushing the singer out of the restaurant to shop him from singing wasn't funny. Not hanging up after a wrong number wasn't funny. Giving somebody a gift and then yelling at them for not giving it back to him as a gift wasn't funny. All those things made me cringe.

It's like Michael Richards at the comedy club crossing boundaries to the point where he stopped being funny. I can picture Larry asking Richards for advice about anger management. Now that would be funny.
Cosmos2 is offline  
post #118 of 309 Old 10-13-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Argee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Ravenna, ohio, USA
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Larry has had some very funny interactions with Jeff's daughter throughout the years. Remember "mommy, Larry's in the ladys room with something hard in his pants". and the time he got her drunk. She was like 6 or 7 at the time and I never seen a child actor portray being drunk like she did.
As is I was in tears when he yelled "shut the F up". It all part of the skit between him and Suzie and the daughter that has been going on for 7 plus years.

Larry has always made a scene in public places that most of us would never do. Its nothing new to the show. Remember the time he made a big deal about the waiting room in the doctors office? Or the time he made a big deal about using the phone in exam room at his doctors and on and on. Its part of Curb and nothing new and to complain about it after 7 season is a tad of a mystery.

Argee
Argee is online now  
post #119 of 309 Old 10-13-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos2 View Post

Larry crossed his boundaries in ways that were not funny. Pushing the girl away to stop her from singing wasn't funny. Pushing the singer out of the restaurant to shop him from singing wasn't funny.

They were funny to me, especially when he told the girl to STFU when he was in bed. To each his own.
Aliens is offline  
post #120 of 309 Old 10-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Cosmos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Of course I remember the doctor's waiting room. That was hysterically funny. Partly because it was something we could all identify with, because we've all been in that situation where the doctor takes patients out of order but, since we are not neurotic the way Larry is, we keep ourselves under control.

It's funny when Larry's neurotic behaviors cause him "innocently" to get into trouble in ways he can't control. What he did this time wasn't neurotic. It was more sociopathic. That's why it was out of character.
Cosmos2 is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off