'Curb Your Enthusiasm' on HBO HD - Season 7 in HD! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 309 Old 10-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The early scenes with Larry and Jerry were so incredibly funny I was wondering how they would keep the rest of the episode funny after Jerry left. In the end, the parts with Jerry were pretty much forgotten because the other stuff was even funnier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 309 Old 10-27-2009, 11:59 AM

"What are you banging a Mormon beautician?"
post #183 of 309 Old 10-27-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydreb View Post

"What are you banging a Mormon beautician?"

That was great.

The dynamic between Larry and Richard Lewis remains unmatched.
post #184 of 309 Old 10-27-2009, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just watched the last one-- spectacular episode. It’s incredible how he creates each joke and builds the punch lines.

Love the fact that Larry and Jerry went to a diner-- and talked about nothing… and Enzo the pizza man-- who could have been his barber.

I can’t remember any television series, ever, that continues to be on top of its game this many years into production.

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #185 of 309 Old 10-27-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I cam across this on a forum I visit.

'Potential for social/political debate: latest "Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode...'
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2671409

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** View Post

The latest episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm aired on HBO this past Sunday night.

In one scene, Larry David goes into a Catholic woman's bathroom, and gets some piss on a picture of Jesus. Later, the woman goes in there, sees it, and thinks that it is a miracle. She thinks that the picture of Jesus was crying, and a real tear appeared on the picture, even though it was actually piss.

So this is Larry David's latest attempt at poking fun at Christians, a reference no doubt to the absurdity of images of Jesus or Mary appearing on toast and crackers, or bleeding/crying statues.

There is, of course, the automatic outrage of the Christian Right that this is blasphemy. And being a Christian myself, I too think it's just not funny at all. But what does this really boil down to?

Is this any different than making fun of Jews for being stingy and having big noses? Is this any different from the political comics of Mohammed wearing a turbin-shaped bomb on his head? How outrageous is it, really?

Do you think this is over the top? Or do you think it's as harmless as all the other insensitive jokes about any other group? Does this say anything about our society? Fifty years ago, no respectable person in hollywood or the media would ever dream of publishing or showing a joke of Jesus being peed on, for the sake of poking fun at the presumed gullibility of some Christians.

Were people being overly cautious 50 years ago? Or are people today being too brash?

Edit: I'm not trying to have a political discussion in this thread. The above mentions political aspects and has rude terms.
post #186 of 309 Old 10-27-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

I cam across this on a forum I visit.

'Potential for social/political debate: latest "Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode...'
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2671409

Edit: I'm not trying to have a political discussion in this thread. The above mentions political aspects and has rude terms.

Michael Savage really ripped Larry about this on his show last night as well. I'm not a fan of his but I happened to be surfing stations in my car when I came across this conversation and listened in for awhile. He had a bigger issue about how Larry portrays Jews which he is of one himself and does not think LD is funny at all. I think many would disagree with him though.
post #187 of 309 Old 10-27-2009, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

Michael Savage really ripped Larry about this on his show last night as well. I'm not a fan of his but I happened to be surfing stations in my car when I came across this conversation and listened in for awhile. He had a bigger issue about how Larry portrays Jews which he is of one himself and does not think LD is funny at all. I think many would disagree with him though.

Perhaps he should stop watching?
post #188 of 309 Old 10-27-2009, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2061 View Post

One of the funniest episodes I've seen. LOL many times.

"Wendy Wheelchair" and "Denise Handicapped". Too funny. Love this show.

Oh and I forgot, "Nancy Big T*ts".

Does everyone here realize that the doctor from a few eps ago was Detective Bookman from the Seinfeld ep about the long overdue library book?

Ditto that for Denise Handicapped. She was the cook on Seinfeld who was obsessed with Elaine's shoes. Same person who called Jerry to let him the head of NBC was in the restaurant and Elaine was there and sneezed into his pasta primavera, causing him to get violently ill.

I love how Larry David gets people who were "one-off" characters from Seinfeld be in this show, and very funny too.
post #189 of 309 Old 10-28-2009, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Does everyone here realize...

I love how Larry David gets people who were "one-off" characters from Seinfeld be in this show, and very funny too.

That's always fun to catch, sometimes I do. I didn't make the sneezing chef connection.

As discussed here earlier, Larry David has been opening his personal vault dipping into his comedy stash since season 1, resurrecting characters, ideas, routines, etc. All of the great comedians have done this-- Laurel and Hardy, Groucho Marx, Bob Hope, Jackie Gleason, Woody Allen, Steve Martin—just to name a few.

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #190 of 309 Old 10-28-2009, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

"I thought it was a monkey!"

Laugh my freaking ass off; so damn funny. He offends everyone, that's why I like him, but always in good humor.
post #191 of 309 Old 10-28-2009, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess agnostics such as myself can't possibly see what the big deal is, but some of the highly religious critics need to keep an open mind when watching this show or anything similar. You can miss out on a lot of laughter in life if you fail to do so.
post #192 of 309 Old 10-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
This is by far the best comedy on TV right now hands down!! I look forward to every Sunday to see what kind of crap Larry gets himself into

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #193 of 309 Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 PM

Liked: 11
I loved how neither Larry nor Jerry even considered for a moment, the idea of Larry admitting to peeing on the Jesus painting.

We've always been told that George's character on Seinfield was based of off Larry David's real life personality, but this season of Curb is establishing that Jerry Seinfield has quite a bit in common with Larry David's character. He seems to condone most of Larry's antisocial and unethical behavior. It's only when others are brought into the conversation, that Jerry suggests that Larry "do the right thing." I think the main difference between Larry and Jerry, is that Larry will do whatever he wants, regardless of the circumstances. While Jerry is better at convincing others to do what he wants; thus placing others in harm instead of himself.

I also loved the police lineup. The guy couldn't tell the difference between Larry and a bald, black man, with glasses. Paraphrased as best I can remmember: "All I see is bald and glasses." This show never gets old.

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
post #194 of 309 Old 10-29-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post

Laugh my freaking ass off; so damn funny. He offends everyone, that's why I like him, but always in good humor.

That's weird; why was my post about the Jesus cookie, to which you were replying, deleted? Did I offend someone by recalling Larry's offensive humor?

Doug
post #195 of 309 Old 10-29-2009, 08:06 AM

I guess the manufactured Fox News outrage made its way onto this thread. Shocker...
post #196 of 309 Old 10-29-2009, 08:36 AM

Let him urinate on a picture of Obama and see what the reaction is.
post #197 of 309 Old 10-29-2009, 08:55 AM

Hey, you equated them, not me.
post #198 of 309 Old 10-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalthor View Post

... that Jerry Seinfield has quite a bit in common with Larry David's character. He seems to condone most of Larry's antisocial and unethical behavior....

We knew that years ago. That's why Jerry's final monologue of "Seinfeld" was delivered in jail.
post #199 of 309 Old 10-29-2009, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I've always thought it was weird that some people put Jesus pictures in the bathroom. That's just an awkward place for one.
post #200 of 309 Old 10-30-2009, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
here in australia we area season behind on curb your enthusiasm (shown on free to air TV uncensored) but they aired these two seinfeld episodes on their own and called them "the seinfeld reunion" instead of curb your enthusiasm and they had a special voiceover at the beginning that explained how larry david was the genius behind seinfeld on now on his own show he got the cast back together.

kind of weird. i guess folks here are still pretty big seinfeld fans and maybe not so many people know about curb your enthusiasm yet. still, i would prefer to just watch them in the order they are supposed to be in within the full season.

pretty hilarious all the same.
post #201 of 309 Old 10-30-2009, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

It's Always Sunny had a skit about trying to date a disabled person in a wheel chair. It was on the episode titled "The Gang Wrestles for the Troops"
I thought Larry David was a lot nicer/respectful during that episode 2 weeks ago than Dee Renolds on Sunny.
You see, LD/Curb isn't 'that' bad
post #202 of 309 Old 11-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
"....for life?.....range balls?....valet parking?"

- 100% Instrumental Surf Music. Commercial Free.
post #203 of 309 Old 11-02-2009, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

"....for life?.....range balls?....valet parking?"

That was probably the funniest bit of last night for me - especially the way Einstein delivered the lines with sidelong glances toward Larry. Considering how much his character despises LD, I was surprised he backed off. I guess it just demonstrated his humanity. We know LD wouldn't have blinked at betraying his friends!

Doug
post #204 of 309 Old 11-02-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Good episode last night. Very funny stuff.
post #205 of 309 Old 11-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

The swan reminded me of Georgia killing the pigeons.

The funniest part was Einstein not introducing the stone mason. Actually, the funniest part was everything in the whole show.
post #206 of 309 Old 11-02-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I love Funkhouser's matter-of-fact interactions with Larry. I was cracking up when he said something along the lines of: "I don't think he had any ******* idea as to what you were talking about."

It for some reason reminded me of an early episode when Funkhouser said: "We were trying to recreate what happened 25 years ago, and I said Larry, would you like to make a toast? And someone said, Larry went home to take a ****."
post #207 of 309 Old 11-02-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

This show still has it. I didn't even know it was on until I read about the 10/25 episode*. I watched the rest on HBO VOD and they were all good. The show's been off for a long time but it doesn't feel like it.

*That was the hardest I ever laughed during a show. The uptight prudes who probably have never even watched the show before or understand it need to STFU.
post #208 of 309 Old 11-02-2009, 03:55 PM

It was a good episode but a step down compared to the previous ones. Of course it had it's funny moments like the ones that were mentioned but I did not LOL as many times as usual. However, the previews for next week looks like it will be a killer!
post #209 of 309 Old 11-03-2009, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I found the last episode to be hilarious. The golf club I belong to actually has a "Norm" and he is one of the slowest players. We all try to get out before he tees off. No swans though.
post #210 of 309 Old 11-09-2009, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

"I'm Larry David, and I wear woman's panties."
Loved the first scene about the panties. Larry David was so confused and repulsed? by the move and action of Jeff Green trying to cover up.

Good episode.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page