'Merlin' on Syfy - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 192 Old 06-02-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Kinda surprised no one's commented on the finale here, so I'll add my 2 cents. I was mildly surprised they killed off Arthur even though that was the prophecy talked about all along. Thought it was silly that Merlin tried to get him to this mystical island with a 2-day ride when he could've called his dragon from the beginning, but whatever. They had to contrive something to show the bond and acceptance by Arthur of Merlin's abilities and did so admirably with their conversations. Morgana finally met her end with the dragon-forged sword (which was kind of contrived too), but the show has always been cheesy and you can't put too much thought into how things develop.

All in all we're sad to see this one end even if they never really developed Merlin until the end. I think that Legend of the Seeker was better personally, but Merlin was pretty darn good if you're into the whole medieval fantasy genre. I'm a little surprised that there's not more of these with the popularity of fantasy-based MMO games among the younger crowd now (and some older ones like me), but TV-watching is not their thing I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 192 Old 06-02-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Sad to see it go but man that ending didn't make a whole lot of sense at times. Calling the dragon when its to late instead of from the beginning which would of healed him. Not using more of his magic. Is all he can do is light fires and push things??? No teleport, no flying, now make your load lighter, no putting him into stasis or using your healing to slow the progress, etc. etc. etc. So many things he could of done, oh well, it will still be missed. LOVED the last shot of the show, cool, Merlin is alive nowadays and still waiting.

post #183 of 192 Old 06-02-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Sad to see it go but man that ending didn't make a whole lot of sense at times. Calling the dragon when its to late instead of from the beginning which would of healed him. Not using more of his magic. Is all he can do is light fires and push things??? No teleport, no flying, now make your load lighter, no putting him into stasis or using your healing to slow the progress, etc. etc. etc. So many things he could of done, oh well, it will still be missed. LOVED the last shot of the show, cool, Merlin is alive nowadays and still waiting.

I enjoyed the series but I saw it as a minor thing especially due to problems mentioned and the fact that its main plot idea repeated constantly. The one time that things seemed like they were opening up was the beginning few shows of last season.But they seemed to reign themselves back in. There were so many place to go and yet they kept themselves in a little box. I don't know if it had to do with budget or lack of ideas. The finale was really disappointing. The why didn't he call the dragon days earlier deal. Why he doesn't use magic more to get things done there at the end. What the heck was going on with Percival and Gawain? What was the point of that? Ultimately, it appeared that the writers didn't want to leave the box they were in other than the final scene which was just a real head scratcher. Maybe setting up, Merlin: Fawlty Towers. Overall, I just felt this was a big let down.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #184 of 192 Old 06-03-2013, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 192
I think the fundamental thing all these shows struggle with is that with magic you can basically do anything but then there's no point to a lot of the contrived plots if you use it. So they constantly danced around the fact that Merlin could have done anything he wanted (short of saving Arthur) by keeping it mostly hidden - if Merlin had been revealed long ago the show might have been even more silly than it was.

It was a twist on the legend and kind of a 'prequel' to what Merlin and Arthur became in the lore, but this time there was no partnership in the end. And that's the sad part to me, we never got to see them kick ass together (as equals).
post #185 of 192 Old 06-03-2013, 06:31 AM

Liked: 11
Liked the show....but the ending was not good IMO. Seems that the writers lost the plot there. There was no big magic fight between Morgana & Merlin. As other have said...why not use Dragon to fly Arthur...rather then 2 days ride. Somehow something was badly missing in the final episode. Never the less...I will miss this show.
post #186 of 192 Old 06-03-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmarie View Post

Liked the show....but the ending was not good IMO. Seems that the writers lost the plot there. There was no big magic fight between Morgana & Merlin. As other have said...why not use Dragon to fly Arthur...rather then 2 days ride. Somehow something was badly missing in the final episode. Never the less...I will miss this show.

yeah, we will miss it too. goes to show you how good this show really was, even with the let down of the final episode we will still miss it.

post #187 of 192 Old 06-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Agreed, why not use the dragon to fly Arthur to the island and keep him alive? I would have, after 5 seasons of watching, I expected Merlin to out himself as he did to Arthur and even if the series was ending, but why not at least have Arthur alive and taking care of his kingdom with his queen and Merlin at his side for an ending?
I was depressed at the ending even though Merlin and Arthur got to talking about his magic and about the help Arthur got along throughout the series from Merlin.
Although it's just a TV series, the writers did me no justice in Arthur dying, I did not expect that from the writers at all. I wanted a "happily ever after" instead, maybe I am the only one, but watching Merlin as an old man walk down a road in the present century, it did nothing for me, unless there is another series coming up.
I have read that the Colin Morgan, who played Merlin wanted out to pursue other acting roles, what I don't know, but that shouldn't have stopped the series - or - have it end so miserably, IMO.
ltownsend likes this.
post #188 of 192 Old 06-03-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Remember that this is a British series, and as such the writers are more interested in respecting tradition than in appeasing the audience, at least compared to how the show would have been handled by American showrunners. Arthur dies at the end of the traditional legend (e.g. Le Morte d'Arthur), which in the context of this show leaves Merlin to wait for his return as The Once and Future King (since the series has referenced the T.H. White novel repeatedly).
post #189 of 192 Old 06-03-2013, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Well it was a planned 5 series run but they started making plans for a sixth season as ratings were good but got late word that it was to be cancelled. They had two episodes left to produce and did some last minute shuffling and story changes for the final two episodes. They had asked for a two hour movie for next season to wrap it up but were turned down so you got this hastely put together finale.

The production team is now working on a series that takes place in Atlantis (not the Stargate one)

Argee
post #190 of 192 Old 06-05-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Remember that this is a British series, and as such the writers are more interested in respecting tradition than in appeasing the audience, at least compared to how the show would have been handled by American showrunners. Arthur dies at the end of the traditional legend (e.g. Le Morte d'Arthur), which in the context of this show leaves Merlin to wait for his return as The Once and Future King (since the series has referenced the T.H. White novel repeatedly).

Huh??? They didn't come close to the tradition on MANY occassions. I.e. Lancelot, Gwen and the Lancelot and her background, Arthur's knights, Mordred, so, so many things.

post #191 of 192 Old 06-05-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 302
The writers took extensive liberties with the source material, but the fact that it's a British series explains why the writers would choose to do a rushed ending that fits the traditional story, rather than making something up in the last two episodes.
post #192 of 192 Old 06-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gparris View Post

Agreed, why not use the dragon to fly Arthur to the island and keep him alive? I would have, after 5 seasons of watching, I expected Merlin to out himself as he did to Arthur and even if the series was ending, but why not at least have Arthur alive and taking care of his kingdom with his queen and Merlin at his side for an ending?
I was depressed at the ending even though Merlin and Arthur got to talking about his magic and about the help Arthur got along throughout the series from Merlin.
Although it's just a TV series, the writers did me no justice in Arthur dying, I did not expect that from the writers at all. I wanted a "happily ever after" instead, maybe I am the only one, but watching Merlin as an old man walk down a road in the present century, it did nothing for me, unless there is another series coming up.
I have read that the Colin Morgan, who played Merlin wanted out to pursue other acting roles, what I don't know, but that shouldn't have stopped the series - or - have it end so miserably, IMO.

Me too! As a long time Arthur legend lover I did take some offense to the writers diverting from the story of Arthur and Merlin.

They took so many liberties with the show that I thought they would have at least given up the happy ending that we deserved. Way too sad the way they ended it.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page