Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 207 Old 07-19-2009, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

So you think they're bringing the series back out of the goodness of their own hearts?

Nothing could be further from the truth (or further from anything that I wrote). You evidently misunderstood what you read.

Quote:

Yeahhhhhhhh I think I'll side with the actors who made the show what it was rather than the giant conglomerate that is out to do nothing but make a buck.

The actors sure have you snowed. The producers/giant conglomerate had far more to do with making the show what it was than the actors who were just looking for gig (and now greedily looking to get big network salaries for a cable network series).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 207 Old 07-19-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSaysYo View Post

It's an assumption that the followers of Futurama initially watched the show because of the premise. In my experience, many folks check out a show because of the actors involved. I'll watch my favorite actors in roles that I otherwise don't find appealing.

In my experience, that's simply not the case with animation. People either check out an animation show because they recognize the creator ("It's a Mike Judge series" or "It's from the people who made The Simpsons"), or they check out all animation shows not intended for children, or, as I suggested before, they check out the show because its premise attracted them.

Quote:

Part of the reason Futurama has a cult following (the same as any other show with a cult following) is because the fans have emotional ties to the characters.

The characters aren't going away.

Quote:

It would be foolish for Fox to ignore the intrinsic value of these characters' voices just because of a bottom line.

So they're going to be keeping the characters. Yup I agree.

Quote:

If Fox's numbers for this show really are low enough that they cannot afford to pay an amicable price for the original voice talent, they may want to rethink their plans to revive it, as it seems the very people they plan to make money from in this endeavor have been very offended.

I think people who want to get offended will get offended. I think some people live to be pissed off when they don't get their way. I don't think you can really control that.

Given that the shows fans were so insignificant that the show died, basing the resurrection of the show on those fans is stupid. They need to get new fans. Many of the complainers are going to watch the show anyway. They're just complaining to complain, because they like complaining. What the show needs is new fans.

Quote:

It would not seem to be a prudent financial move to revive a beloved brand only to offend its followers.

And if the folks who made the excellent Battlestar Galactica remake thought that, we'd not have enjoyed that superior programming for the last five years.

Quote:

They may as well start from scratch with a new series if they are not interested in being as faithful to the original as its fans would like.

This is better, because they'll get all the same new fans they'd get for a new series, plus all the people who were fans of the old series but who aren't self-spiting themselves from being able to appreciate and enjoy the remake.
post #33 of 207 Old 07-19-2009, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkunces View Post

It's sad that Billy West has now gone through this sort of scenario with many of his shows. He had that cartoon series Doug that had been revived by ABC. However, he did not return and the show wasn't the same.
The voice acting is very important for the audience to hear a familiar voice but you can't but help that these actors add more influence in the writing and production of the show because they can use their voice acting skills to create scenes that other actors may not be able to replicate using the same character.

I remember a similar situation 15 years ago with Robin Williams and the direct-to-video release of Aladdin 2, where he didn't reprise the role of Genie (the role went to Dan Castellaneta of Homer Simpson fame). From what I remember, Williams had some kind of tiff with Disney and backed out of the production. Even though Castellaneta is a great voice actor, the Genie wasn't the same. I guess things were all hunky-dory later when he came back for Aladdin 3, though.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #34 of 207 Old 07-19-2009, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I remember a similar situation 15 years ago with Robin Williams and the direct-to-video release of Aladdin 2, where he didn't reprise the role of Genie (the role went to Dan Castellaneta of Homer Simpson fame). From what I remember, Williams had some kind of tiff with Disney and backed out of the production. Even though Castellaneta is a great voice actor, the Genie wasn't the same. I guess things were all hunky-dory later when he came back for Aladdin 3, though.

True... but Disney also has a half-hour Aladdin cartoon I've seen... and no Robin Williams there.

I still think this is hoopla about nothing, and they are intentionally trying to see what kind of uproar they can stir up to see just how many people are looking forward to this show coming back.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #35 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Not original voices.... not watching it.. sorry...

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #36 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
They only really need to pay up for Billy West and maybe Benders voicer, the rest dont really matter.

Fernando
post #37 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I would tend to be forgiving with replacements, but without John Di Maggio's Bender they really would no longer have a show.

CW Hinkle
post #38 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 10:57 AM

I agree that an average TV show, of average quality, can afford to replace the actors without losing much.

However, every now and again a TV show captures lightning in a bottle, and everything clicks, and the show becomes transcendant. For me, Futurama was one of those shows.

If you change anything about those types of shows it will likely never be the same quality as the original. It still may be OK, maybe even good, but it will cease to be great.

See the Futurama DVDs for an example of what changing even just a few writers can do to the quality.

I fully expect the "re-purposed" Futurama to be little more than a shadow of its former self.

It's toe-tappingly tragic!
post #39 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I still think theyll eventually settle....i mean its Peggy Bundy we are talkin about here.

post #40 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Still thinking this is a hoax designed to increase attention and get fans to react....

but, IF there's any reality here... FOX does kinda need some of these voice-actors or the known characters will not be the same... BUT what else are those actors doing? They probably need this work too, especially in this economy. Not like I'm seeing those voice-actors all over TV and movies in other roles.

post #41 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Still thinking this is a hoax designed to increase attention and get fans to react....

but, IF there's any reality here... FOX does kinda need some of these voice-actors or the known characters will not be the same... BUT what else are those actors doing? They probably need this work too, especially in this economy. Not like I'm seeing those voice-actors all over TV and movies in other roles.

Bender is the star of the Gears of War series. Not sure what if anything the others are doing.
post #42 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
It's relatively easy to find a voice that can closely imitate what someone else has already done. If the writing is good, the program will probably be as good, or better, than before.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #43 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

It's relatively easy to find a voice that can closely imitate what someone else has already done. If the writing is good, the program will probably be as good, or better, than before.

Close isn't the same. They tried it with Alladin. They did it with Eddie Murphys voice in some Shrek TV specials and it failed. If they want Futurama to succeed, they'll do what it takes to get the voices back.
post #44 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Aladdin (after the original movie) was a cheaply made kids TV show and direct-to-video sequels.

It's probably not a fair comparison.
post #45 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

Aladdin (after the original movie) was a cheaply made kids TV show and direct-to-video sequels.

It's probably not a fair comparison.

No, not at all.

Not to sound too ignorant, but can someone list the main actors?

post #46 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149460/

CW Hinkle
post #47 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149460/

Thanks. Other than Katey Sagal I'm not sure most viewers would recognise the other voices.

post #48 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

No, not at all.

Billy West
Katey Segal
John DiMaggio

Tress MacNeille
Maurice LaMarche
and a few others do the "various characters"
post #49 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Thanks. Other than Katey Sagal I'm not sure most viewers would recognise the other voices.

Billy West does like 3/4 of the voices on the show. He's pretty much irreplaceable. He's more or less a modern day Mel Blanc

In fact, he has played Bugs Bunny (most notably in Space Jam) and Elmer Fudd before.

That's one thing that's screwy about it. He's so talented that they would have to hire like 4 or 5 people to take his place to have the range they had before.

Billy West's other 'famous' roles was Doug in Doug and well as Stimpy and sometimes Ren in Ren and Stimpy
post #50 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I value voice talent as much as anyone... but I thought your question was a good one. I wonder how many Futurama fans could list all the voice actors without consulting IMDB or something on the Web.

I honestly can only come up with Billy West, Katey Sagal, and sometimes "the guy who does Bender" whose name I usually butcher when I try to spell it.

Something tells me that the average fan might notice something was up, but might not recognize the actor's name anyway.

post #51 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

Billy West
Katey Segal
John DiMaggio

Tress MacNeille
Maurice LaMarche
and a few others do the "various characters"

Phil Lamarr!

My love is bigger than your love. Sing it!
post #52 of 207 Old 07-20-2009, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They might not know them by name by they'd sure as hell know them by sound if they were fans.
post #53 of 207 Old 07-21-2009, 02:16 AM

And I'm sure that folks were able to tell Dick York from Dick Sergeant. That didn't seem to hurt Bewitched much.
post #54 of 207 Old 07-21-2009, 03:44 AM

Incredible! I love Futurama... the professor is hilarious

hello...my name is joe and i am a farm town addict
post #55 of 207 Old 07-21-2009, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

And I'm sure that folks were able to tell Dick York from Dick Sergeant. That didn't seem to hurt Bewitched much.

But honestly, he wasn't the star of the show, and no one tuned in to look at him every week, so Darren could have been played by a leaky faucet for all the audience cared.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #56 of 207 Old 07-21-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Close isn't the same. They tried it with Alladin. They did it with Eddie Murphys voice in some Shrek TV specials and it failed. If they want Futurama to succeed, they'll do what it takes to get the voices back.

They tried to replace Murphy in the Mulan read-along tape-book.....did_not_work. I think he was also missing from the sequel. Having said that, I wasn't the biggest fan of Futurama; I only watched occasionally.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #57 of 207 Old 07-21-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

But honestly, he wasn't the star of the show

But you saw him, and heard him. Given that a picture is worth a thousand words ...
post #58 of 207 Old 07-21-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

As for the show, It's been noted on a few other forum that FOX might not have as much involvement with the show this year as previously reported, but ultimately whoever's fault it might be, ultimately, without the 3 original cast/voice members it will fail.

post #59 of 207 Old 07-21-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I'd like to know why people think doing a voice is any less acting than appearing in a live action program. In many ways, it takes more talent as you don't get to create the visuals that goes along with the performance and instead have to find a way to bring your character to life with 1/2 of the control.

This is why it's incredibly annoying to see all these big stars doing voices in animated movies. 9 times out of 10 they aren't creating a new character, they are playing a caricature of themselves.

Billy West himself pretty much summed it up.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/billy-west,13937/

Quote:

O: But that's the complete antithesis to how animation is now. Celebrities are the characters. They're expected to put themselves in the role. Even before CGI movies, you had Robin Williams in Aladdin.

BW: Robin Williams understands sonic performances. He understands what it's like to change your voice up. He understands what it's like to have theatre of the mind—and with your little strip of vocal cords, you're going to create heavens and hells and universes and populations of people, which is the whole idea that a voice person has in their head. It's like, "Whatever it is, I'll be it." But the voice people can physically escape the sound of their own voice. We do multiple voices. We used to save producers' asses, because they'd hire you and say, "Well, we were going to get six people, but we can't afford it. Can you do this, this, and this?" And you'd do them, and they'd be perfectly happy, and they'd save a bundle of dough. Now, it's the exact opposite. The minute they mention a CGI film, they're already looking to see what Renée Zellweger is doing. They're already looking to see what Billy Crystal is doing. This doesn't make sense, to do what they do—spend zillions on visuals, and then have this totally *ucking flat-lining voice track. You know, "Hey, I'm Will Smith, I'm a clam! I'm Will Smith, I'm a kangaroo!" All you bring to the performance is your own ego. They're just being themselves. Let's put it this way: Cameron Diaz is the highest paid voice actress in history: $20 million for Shrek. Why? Because she has a 9-foot mouth? That works somewhere else, but not on tape! [Laughs.] It's like what the hell is that all about?

O: So are you totally out of the loop on big-budget films?

BW: Well, we still audition for them if they call us, but we know it's a joke. What's really insidious is, they love to have the A-team come in and read for them and create characters for them and read their copy, and then you never hear from them again. Then you see the person who has the job saying things that came direct from your own ideology, like if I'm ad-libbing, and I use a word from the Midwest because I grew up in Detroit. You know, it's like "What the *uck? What am I, a copywriter now? How come I don't get residual checks?" They take your riffs, they take your little noises that you do, and they go tell this schlub celebrity, "This is what we want; this is what we're looking for. Hear what he's doing?" And then that guy's gotta sweat bullets trying to sparkle some life into his bland-o voice... I hope I'm not coming off cocky or bitter about the swing in the business. I'll hang in, but I'm going to change my hat. I have to be a producer now.

O: But they obviously think they'll make way more money because the celebrities will draw people.

BW: It's "Oh well, we can use those stars on their bankable star power to promote the cartoon and do Access Hollywood interviews." You know, it's like they treat us like we're not actors. I went to the première of Space Jam at [Grauman's] Chinese Theatre—big première, red carpet, everything. Me and the voice people got invited to the little theatre; there's two of them there, the big Chinese theatre, and then there was a smaller one next to it. We weren't invited to the big place, and so my friend Bob Bergen, who does Porky Pig an awful lot, called them up and said, "Hey, what gives? We're featured in this movie." She said, "Oh you mean the party at the big Chinese theatre? Oh, that's for the actors." I'd like to find out what little cement-head said that.

post #60 of 207 Old 07-21-2009, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

I'd like to know why people think doing a voice is any less acting than appearing in a live action program.

Nah, it's very few people (just a very vocal minority).

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page