post #31 of 337 Old 07-11-2009, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokorola View Post

I'm just curious what you mean by that as there is really no connection between the digital transition and HD TV...

Right, not a direct correlation, but the discussion is about advancement in television technology, with HD being the ultimate in digital transmission. That's all I meant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 337 Old 07-13-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

The last SD one is "Last Call with Carson Daly". I wonder if there will be any calls in these forums for it to go HD.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=carson

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=carson

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #33 of 337 Old 07-13-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My guess is, like Access Hollywood, Last Call will continue to air in SD so long as they are produced from Burbank until new facilities at Universal City are complete. The only reason Ellen, a former resident of the Burbank facility, went HD was because Warner moved it out of NBC Studios to a Warner facility.

Universal City is mostly still a work in progress. I'm fairly certain I've read before that Conan was the only tenant scheduled to move in 2009. Access Hollywood and everyone else wouldn't make the move until 2010 or later. That means Last Call (and Access Hollywood) still have a long ways to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 337 Old 07-15-2009, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question mark was removed from the thread title... does this mean its a yes ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Enter Team # 55280 when u download
post #35 of 337 Old 07-15-2009, 07:13 PM

Yes, I'm curious as well that the question mark has been removed. Does that mean it's officially confirmed Ferguson is going high-def?
post #36 of 337 Old 07-16-2009, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyne View Post

Yes, I'm curious as well that the question mark has been removed. Does that mean it's officially confirmed Ferguson is going high-def?

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised in mid-to-late August or early September.
post #37 of 337 Old 07-16-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If Ferguson's in HD, then literally everything on TV has gone HD. All remaining SD programs are officially shamed.
post #38 of 337 Old 07-16-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelLines View Post

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised in mid-to-late August or early September.

Hooray! It's about time, because I personally think it's LONG overdue. Late Show with David Letterman (the show that precedes Ferguson, in case someone doesn't know) has been high-def since 2005 (which coincidentally was Ferguson's first full year of hosting The Late Late Show). I'm finally happy CBS is paying some attention to Ferguson, which he deserves.
post #39 of 337 Old 07-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

It's a great day for America, everybody.
post #40 of 337 Old 07-16-2009, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HiMarks View Post

Truly.

It's a great day for America, everybody!

post #41 of 337 Old 07-16-2009, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HiMarks View Post

"I know!"

Tony!

/

/
post #42 of 337 Old 07-21-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Last night's show (actually, this morning, 7/21) was a tour de force.

Superb treatment of the anniversary of the lunar landing.

Highlights once again that HD has been too long coming to the "Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson".
post #43 of 337 Old 08-02-2009, 04:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 50
Reportedly now, the date will be August 31.

That will be announced tomorrow at the Television Critics Association Summer Tour in Pasadena CA.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/08/fergu...ot-filled.html

post #44 of 337 Old 08-02-2009, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Craig Ferguson's "Late Late Show" is getting a high-def upgrade. The show will be broadcast in HD for the first time starting Aug. 31.

I'm delighted, it's the only show I make it a point to watch. He's intelligent, funny, and a great interviewer. Now we'll be able to see him, too! Imagine... The studio lighting is so murky sometimes he literally fades into the floor.
post #45 of 337 Old 08-02-2009, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
His studio set looks like crap in SD. Will it look worse in HD?

Tony!

/

/
post #46 of 337 Old 08-03-2009, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
THIS JUST IN... from CBS Entertainment... CBS's "THE LATE LATE SHOW with CRAIG FERGUSON," TO BROADCAST IN HD STARTING MONDAY, AUG. 31

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 3 - Starting on Monday, Aug. 31, CBS will begin broadcasting THE LATE LATE SHOW with CRAIG FERGUSON in high definition. That evening will also mark the debut of a new show opener, featuring Craig Ferguson in several iconic Los Angeles locations, scored to an updated version of the current show theme song. THE LATE LATE SHOW with CRAIG FERGUSON airs weeknights (12:37-1:37 AM, ET/PT) following broadcasts of the "Late Show with David Letterman" on CBS. THE LATE LATE SHOW is executive produced by Peter Lassally.

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/div.p...lease?id=22377

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #47 of 337 Old 08-03-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

THIS JUST IN... from CBS Entertainment... CBS's "THE LATE LATE SHOW with CRAIG FERGUSON," TO BROADCAST IN HD STARTING MONDAY, AUG. 31

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 3 - Starting on Monday, Aug. 31, CBS will begin broadcasting THE LATE LATE SHOW with CRAIG FERGUSON in high definition. That evening will also mark the debut of a new show opener, featuring Craig Ferguson in several iconic Los Angeles locations, scored to an updated version of the current show theme song. THE LATE LATE SHOW with CRAIG FERGUSON airs weeknights (12:37-1:37 AM, ET/PT) following broadcasts of the "Late Show with David Letterman" on CBS. THE LATE LATE SHOW is executive produced by Peter Lassally.

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/div.p...lease?id=22377

They better not change the theme song too much. It's one of the most important parts of the show. Plus its one of my favorite TV themes.
post #48 of 337 Old 08-03-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

They better not change the theme song too much. It's one of the most important parts of the show. Plus its one of my favorite TV themes.

Since Craig wrote and performed the theme tune I think whatever they changed it to will have his approval.

He probably had to update it himself because CBS wouldn't pay for it.

post #49 of 337 Old 08-03-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

So is he finally going to get a house band? The Aug. 31 broadcast should make it fairly clear whether CBS is seriously considering Ferguson to take over the Late Show in 2012.

post #50 of 337 Old 08-03-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 499
About time. He's my favorite late night host. Plus, Aquaman in HD!

Growing Older But Not Up
post #51 of 337 Old 08-03-2009, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

So is he finally going to get a house band? The Aug. 31 broadcast should make it fairly clear whether CBS is seriously considering Ferguson to take over the Late Show in 2012.

Haven't heard anything about a "house" band. I doubt that would happen.
If it did, C-F would need a new studio; there's simnply not enough room on the present set....
post #52 of 337 Old 08-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Good news, I'm guessing they received emails about it in the past because Craig has said a couple times in the past how the show would never go HD because CBS is too cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

Part of the reason I like Ferguson is because his show has this low-budget feel to it. It does feel as if he does whatever the hell he wants to, and the puppets are awesome (lol@them blurring the puppet mouth when it was cussing the other night). But that's only part of it. Even with a new set, he'd still have the best monologue around and his interviews would still have that off-the-cuff feeling to them.

Puppets + Grand Master Flash? What's not to like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYyy1VUFav0

Whenever I hear the I'm Yours song I think of this now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-synov6gKU
post #53 of 337 Old 08-14-2009, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Ferguson announced on the show tonight that they are going HD on August 31. In his own brand of humor, of course.
post #54 of 337 Old 08-23-2009, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

So, getting ready for this..... here's my question: When trying to record to DVD-recorder, d'ya think it would it be better to record via OTA antenna to converter box (Zenith) to DVD recorder, or through digital comcast cable box (since this is a local CBS feed,it's 'kind of' HD?) to DVD recorder? The DVD would only be SD at best, but it has an HDMI upconverter that may look nice on the TV when played back. Or, skip the DVD-recorder altogether and use OTA antenna to mac using EyeTV ? Any suggestions? I know I can't record HD to the DVD recorder.... just trying to get the best possible recorded results given these limitations.
post #55 of 337 Old 08-23-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Well, I would think you'd actually have to try each first, and then use whatever looks best to you.
post #56 of 337 Old 08-23-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

So, getting ready for this..... here's my question: When trying to record to DVD-recorder, d'ya think it would it be better to record via OTA antenna to converter box (Zenith) to DVD recorder, or through digital comcast cable box (since this is a local CBS feed,it's 'kind of' HD?) to DVD recorder? The DVD would only be SD at best, but it has an HDMI upconverter that may look nice on the TV when played back. Or, skip the DVD-recorder altogether and use OTA antenna to mac using EyeTV ? Any suggestions? I know I can't record HD to the DVD recorder.... just trying to get the best possible recorded results given these limitations.

I'm guessing your zenith box has composite at best (no s-video), so it goes to the bottom of the list PQ-wise. Assuming comcast doesn't compress the crap out of their HD (they often do), then s-video from it would be better. If you have a moto cable box, you may get a postage stamp sized picture over s-video, sending that method to the bottom of the list. HD direct to your mac would be great. Then burn an avchd DVD for playback of full HD on a bluray player. Is the idea to playback from your DVD player or recorder? In that case, it's pointless doing HD recording on the mac, since DVD players can't play back avchd DVD's.

For convenience, I think most of us go s-video from cable/sat box to DVD recorder and get excellent results. Some do fine with pc/mac recording, but I personally hate it because, despite getting the best PQ, it takes a lot of time and effort compared to the DVD recorder method.

Good luck.

post #57 of 337 Old 08-23-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Actually, if he's got a Panasonic recorder, the composite inputs will improve the signal some. They have "clean-up" circuitry, which was meant for recording from VCR's.

My DTV Pal CECB looks like crap connected directly to my TV's, but when I run it through my Panny recorders first, it actually looks quite acceptable (at least on the 32" analog. Still looks really bad on the 50" HD display, naturally - although my CM-7000 looks decent on that through s-video).
post #58 of 337 Old 08-23-2009, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Will Craig still be using the same studio? His show is structured towards a small audience room (like a basement comedy club). Conan was also better in the smaller N.Y. studio. Neither Craig's nor Conan's humor is polished enough for a large chrome plated studio.

Kevin
post #59 of 337 Old 08-23-2009, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post

Will Craig still be using the same studio? His show is structured towards a small audience room (like a basement comedy club). Conan was also better in the smaller N.Y. studio. Neither Craig's nor Conan's humor is polished enough for a large chrome plated studio.

My take is that C-F will use the same studio at CBS Television City in Hollywood ("Beverly at Fairfax"). Of course, it is being revamped for HD use.

We'll see what it looks like on 31 August....
post #60 of 337 Old 08-24-2009, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

OTA with the EyeTV would be FAR FAR better quality then using an analog hookup to DVD. The OTA is usually either the same or higher quality then the cable QAM feed, let alone the SD analog cable feed.

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page