post #61 of 329 Old 08-27-2009, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvrieze View Post

OTA with the EyeTV would be FAR FAR better quality then using an analog hookup to DVD. The OTA is usually either the same or higher quality then the cable QAM feed, let alone the SD analog cable feed.

Thanks everyone. The OTA is ideal, but I haven't figured out the best way to do it while I'm asleep! So, will try it, just to see how much hard drive space it eats up in HD.

I rearranged things and now have Svideo and audio out from the Moto comcast box (Is that the best "out" you can get from comcast -- I was eyeing the HDMI, component, etc ports but as far as I can tell, the DVD recorder IN options seem limited to RCA and/or Svideo. So... I connected DVD recorder directly to TV via HDMI (to retain Viera functions), and connected comcast directly to the TV via HDMI as well. Comcast to DVD-recorder via Svideo. The upconversion is actually pretty good. Comcast compresses the signal, but the local CBS seems good so I will probably use that for convenient time-shifted watching.

For stuff I want to record and keep, like the puppet musical performances that compresss nicely for ipod, I will use the mac + eyetv. I'm pretty sure the eyetv 250 (external box that takes care of the processing rather than using the computer to crunch) can be set up to record remotely (I haven't played with that much, since the idea of keeping the computer on all night isn't too great with a laptop, but I will experiment with it. Maybe it'll work with the lid closed if using an external monitor... I have a turbo USB gizmo that theoretically reduces the re-processing time for ipod 'food'.

Let's hope Craig's crew is doing some experimenting too -- we are all very psyched that he'll be back on the air live and in HD soon! Ideally, with improved lighting in that studio - I've heard they already have HD cameras, they're just going to be sending out a better signal now. (finally!) . Dont think he needs a big place - I suspect Craig's appeal is based largely on the fact that he speaks TO /THROUGH the camera to the viewers, and the studio audience is there for moral support and to provide the "laughtrack" .

I read that Shadoe Stevens is taping a program on Saturday (without Craig)-- maybe a test run for the equipment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 329 Old 08-29-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

This Saturday, August 29th, The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson is taping their first HD episode and we need your help!!

The good news is that this is our first weekend taping ever and it will include a stand-up comedy segment and a music segment with Spencer Day. The bad news is that Craig Ferguson WILL NOT be at the taping. However, in return for helping us out and attending the taping this Saturday we will give you and your party a priority ticket to any taping of The Late Late Show in the month of September. To redeem this offer, simply use the link below and request a ticket for this Saturday. When you arrive you will turn your ticket in to our coordinator and we will then email you with a priority ticket for the date of your choice in September!

The arrival time this Saturday is 3:30 and the taping will last until approximately 6:30. For more information and to print a free ticket, please use the following link:

http://www.ocatv.com/latelate/index/show/1/event/6335
post #63 of 329 Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

Or, skip the DVD-recorder altogether and use OTA antenna to mac using EyeTV ?

Go with EyeTV! If you have Toast Titanium with the Blu-Ray plugin, the whole show including commercials will fit easily onto a double-layer DVD+R. No Blu-Ray burner required. When you play that disc in a Blu-Ray player, it will look exactly like the original broadcast.

If you edit out the commercials, you may be able to fit the show onto a single-layer DVD-R or DVD+R, but it will depend on the bitrate your CBS station provides.

Quote:
the idea of keeping the computer on all night isn't too great with a laptop

I've left my MacBook on all night for a scheduled recording without any problem. Just make sure you have the power cable connected, because the battery runs down faster when the tuner is connected and running. I schedule the recording(s), leave the EyeTV software open, and put the display to sleep. I did it just last night to record "Smart Travels" on my PBS station at 3:30 AM.
post #64 of 329 Old 08-30-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

Go with EyeTV! If you have Toast Titanium with the Blu-Ray plugin, the whole show including commercials will fit easily onto a double-layer DVD+R. No Blu-Ray burner required. When you play that disc in a Blu-Ray player, it will look exactly like the original broadcast.

If you edit out the commercials, you may be able to fit the show onto a single-layer DVD-R or DVD+R, but it will depend on the bitrate your CBS station provides.

I've left my MacBook on all night for a scheduled recording without any problem. Just make sure you have the power cable connected, because the battery runs down faster when the tuner is connected and running. I schedule the recording(s), leave the EyeTV software open, and put the display to sleep. I did it just last night to record "Smart Travels" on my PBS station at 3:30 AM.

I do have Toast so it should work for doublesided disc. Do I need about 10 gig per hour? Did you update Eyetv software? I'm still using v 3.0.4 on macbookpro (Tiger) because it links to (free)Titan TV and I wasn't too happy when they switched to a pay model for scheduling. For the most part I onlly record when I'm there to keep an eye on things. But, I'm inspired to try it....for Craig Thanks
post #65 of 329 Old 08-31-2009, 08:24 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
i was just going through the listings and noticed an "HD" for craig tonight

awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*edit, just found this*

http://www.canada.com/entertainment/...449/story.html

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #66 of 329 Old 08-31-2009, 08:55 PM

I'll give it a peek to see how it looks, besides I can't take much more of Fallon.
post #67 of 329 Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And it's up in HD.....

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #68 of 329 Old 08-31-2009, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This man cracks me up.

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
post #69 of 329 Old 08-31-2009, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

2 NEW LIGHTS!
What's that sound? Jimmy Fallon crying?
This just in...Conan resigns...the 2 new lights were too much.

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
post #70 of 329 Old 08-31-2009, 09:44 PM

Looks a tad soft PQ wise.

WCBS-DT via OTA.

Sweet! They brought back the full theme song!
post #71 of 329 Old 08-31-2009, 09:48 PM

Liked: 11
I hate that our local CBS KMOV has to have Inside Edition right after Letterman instead of going to Craig. Last week I was watching when he had Eric Idle on and half way the interview they go right to commercial. They come back half way through the "What did we learn on show tonight Craig" segment.
post #72 of 329 Old 08-31-2009, 09:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This guy can't stop talking about HD.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #73 of 329 Old 08-31-2009, 09:56 PM

Conan did the same when he went HD - he even outlined the extra sides you would see in HD.
post #74 of 329 Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linxs View Post

I hate that our local CBS KMOV has to have Inside Edition right after Letterman instead of going to Craig. Last week I was watching when he had Eric Idle on and half way the interview they go right to commercial. They come back half way through the "What did we learn on show tonight Craig" segment.

Part of the problem was that was the show that preempted by Kennedy's death. I was watching and about the time that Idle picked his guitar the NewsBreak came up. I'm assuming your station just cut the Newsbreak out and put a commercial there.
post #75 of 329 Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Now if they can figure out the HD graphics, we could see the Diner Hall Of Fame.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #76 of 329 Old 08-31-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect60 View Post

Part of the problem was that was the show that preempted by Kennedy's death. I was watching and about the time that Idle picked his guitar the NewsBreak came up. I'm assuming your station just cut the Newsbreak out and put a commercial there.

So did they break in twice about Kenndy's death? They did break in for that eariler in the show.
post #77 of 329 Old 08-31-2009, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

So one of those new lights already broke.

And apparently Emily doesn't know what HD really means. Or maybe the repeats finally went HD on TNT?
post #78 of 329 Old 08-31-2009, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

So one of those new lights already broke.

And apparently Emily doesn't know what HD really means. Or maybe the repeats finally went HD on TNT?

You know I was wondering about that comment too and came here to mention it.

I wonder if she meant they switched from film to HD cameras?

post #79 of 329 Old 08-31-2009, 10:45 PM

I'm sort of watching Craig right now, even though I'm really angry right now. My local CBS station (WFSB, Connecticut) is still showing it in SD, so no HD for me.

They do show an Entertainment Tonight rerurn in between Letterman and Ferguson here, I wonder if that's part of the reason why no HD for Ferguson. But Letterman and the ET rerun they show in HD. Hmm...
post #80 of 329 Old 09-01-2009, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevOne View Post

Looks a tad soft PQ wise.

WCBS-DT via OTA.

Thank you ... I thought something was wrong with my TV. Of course my local CBS isn't helping matters with their 720p down-conversion.
post #81 of 329 Old 09-01-2009, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I wonder if she meant they switched from film to HD cameras?

I'm sure that's what it is. I've seen the same kind of confusing reference to "HD" (for various shows) even in industry publications. Kind of ironic that some of the shows are "going HD" will likely look WORSE.

As for Craig, maybe a little soft, but not bad at all.
post #82 of 329 Old 09-01-2009, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 67
This show looked softer than Letterman, but that show uses a good helping of higher frequency detail enhancement. It had about the same sharpness as Fallon to me. Maybe it looks a little softer at times because the show is darker, especially with the lighting problems they had tonight. Kimmel looks very outliney to me with some rather thick mid-frequency detail halos.

One thing I noticed tonight when comparing the three shows is how greenish Fallon's camera looked.
post #83 of 329 Old 09-01-2009, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

The color on Fallon's show has always been way off. At first, it was orange. Now it's more green. Flipping between Craig and Fallon tonight, I just never realized how off it was.
post #84 of 329 Old 09-01-2009, 07:55 AM

Besides the problem with the lighting, I thought it looked pretty good. The show itself was hilarious. I love in the beginning when he said this is how I really look now that we are in HD and put his puppet in front of the camera. LOL!
post #85 of 329 Old 09-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyne View Post

I'm sort of watching Craig right now, even though I'm really angry right now. My local CBS station (WFSB, Connecticut) is still showing it in SD, so no HD for me.

They do show an Entertainment Tonight rerurn in between Letterman and Ferguson here, I wonder if that's part of the reason why no HD for Ferguson. But Letterman and the ET rerun they show in HD. Hmm...

Yes. Most likely they don't have the equipment to show recorded content in HD.
post #86 of 329 Old 09-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linxs View Post

So did they break in twice about Kenndy's death? They did break in for that eariler in the show.

I don't think they broke in twice since I changed channels when the newsbreak started. It was definitely when Idle was about to play (so must have been about 40minutes into the show -- 1:15 EDT) and then the whole screen cut to the 'Countdown' screen at around 7-8 and eventually to the news desk. When the countdown screen showed up my first thought was that it was a scripted bit since usually CBS just goes straight to the Breaking News screen.

If your station runs it 30 minutes later, you could have gotten the same news earlier in the show and then the station just snipped the show and added a commercial so the running time would have been identical.
post #87 of 329 Old 09-01-2009, 01:02 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suki84 View Post

Conan did the same when he went HD - he even outlined the extra sides you would see in HD.

yup and i think letterman did something with regis poking his head out from behind the curtain so that only HD viewers could see him

kimmel did something funny on his first HD show but i can't remember what it was right now

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #88 of 329 Old 09-01-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

Yes. Most likely they don't have the equipment to show recorded content in HD.

That's sort of weird, as the station is more than capable of showing other shows that are mostly likely recorded (syndicated is my guess) in HD. My thinking is this, if they can record that night's episode of ET (in HD, which first airs at 7:30pm), and replay it after Letterman still in HD, why can't they do that for Ferguson? I find it kind of strange.
post #89 of 329 Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks a bit soft to me but it's great to see the show finally upgraded to HD. I like the new intro too. Anyone know what the first building in the intro is? I know I've seen it in a couple movies and TV shows.
post #90 of 329 Old 09-01-2009, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post

Looks a bit soft to me but it's great to see the show finally upgraded to HD. I like the new intro too. Anyone know what the first building in the intro is? I know I've seen it in a couple movies and TV shows.

It's the Griffith Park Observatory.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page