post #91 of 347 Old 09-02-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

yup and i think letterman did something with regis poking his head out from behind the curtain so that only HD viewers could see him

kimmel did something funny on his first HD show but i can't remember what it was right now

Kimmel had John Stamos walks out as Jimmy in HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 347 Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

Kimmel had John Stamos walks out as Jimmy in HD.

oh yeah, thanks

on a side note. i don't even know why they keep carson daly's show on the air. 95% of the time he's in re-runs for like 2 years now

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #93 of 347 Old 09-02-2009, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Color temperature of the lights seems way too yellow to me -- compared to Dave's, the LLS show lighting seems much warmer. I know the sets are different and it's much darker, but beyond that, flesh tones seem too ruddy and the lights make Craig's hair look brown vs salt & pepper. They really should aim for a more natural light.

Meanwhile, it's great to see Craig back live, and it's nice to get him full screen. New intro is fun, too. And I guess this means he's not firing the puppets any time soon-- if they're starring in the intro he can't very well banish them!
post #94 of 347 Old 09-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

Yes. Most likely they don't have the equipment to show recorded content in HD.

I just talked to the engineering department at WFSB. That's exactly why, they don't have enough equipment to delay the broadcast and then show it in hd. He said they would be able to in a few months.

Chip
post #95 of 347 Old 09-04-2009, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
This is the first night I've been able to watch the "new" LLS w/CF.

The show itself does seem to be a bit "soft"--but I think the lighting is appropriate for a 12:35a.m. show.

Video-wise, the intro is really crisp and sharp. The content is spectacular. What a GREAT intro.! Worth staying up (or fiddling with the DVR) to see....

post #96 of 347 Old 09-04-2009, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Can't wait to see Chunky B on camera in HD.

Now, THAT'S a thought....
post #97 of 347 Old 09-05-2009, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelLines View Post

Video-wise, the intro is really crisp and sharp. The content is spectacular. What a GREAT intro.!

I thoroughly enjoy the LLS. But my wife is a fanatic. She actually applauded when she saw the new opening for the first time.
post #98 of 347 Old 09-12-2009, 10:07 AM

Awesome opening last night! For once a TV personality telling the people that are not friends of this country, what they can go do and on national tv to boot. The audience gave him a SO. Graig's the Man!
post #99 of 347 Old 09-12-2009, 10:16 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

Awesome opening last night! For once a TV personality telling the people that are not friends of this country, what they can go do and on national tv to boot. The audience gave him a SO. Graig's the Man!

that was great

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #100 of 347 Old 09-14-2009, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Promises to be a great season of the LLS....
post #101 of 347 Old 10-17-2009, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

OK. Letters with Paula Poundstone sucked tonight but the interview with Kristen Bell was funny. That was an example of how good his interviews can be when him and his guest are on. If you're on the west coast then you should check it out.

And Craig's Join or Die tattoo is fantastic.
post #102 of 347 Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Bumping the thread up:

Tonight (12/9/09) interview with Morgan Freeman was just superb. I was just rolling when those two got going. It so reminded me of classic Carson and one of his Hollywood buddies -- relaxed and 2 guys just sitting around shooting the breeze rather than an interview. Really just a couple minutes selling the movie and the rest just fun stories. I'm so glad they actually gave Freeman the whole show. One of the things that irritates me about CF is the guests only seem to get 5 minutes or so and then they leave.
post #103 of 347 Old 03-31-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect60 View Post

Bumping the thread up:

Bump for a worthy news update:

Craig just won a Peabody award for his show with Desmond Tutu . How cool is that?

"As this fascinating, often funny interview attests, the Scottish-born Ferguson has made late-night television safe again for ideas."
post #104 of 347 Old 12-04-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
This bit was never shown because of a mix-up over music rights. but looks like the "leaked" unaired dr. who cold open from the Late late Show with Craig has made its way to youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sK5d3oshp8
post #105 of 347 Old 12-04-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Cool! thanks for posting that link.
Craig is probably my favorite late night talk show host, great looking HD too, courtesy of CBS
post #106 of 347 Old 02-12-2011, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Just watched yesterdays 2.11.2010 show. Craig was fantastic with science writer Jennifer Ouellette. I have little interest in the subject matter. But who knew there will be an interesting; entertaining conversation about physics that was not dry and I did not get bored with? Craig even mentioned Bernoulli's Principle of flow! WTF!? He seems so much smarter that the rest of the Late night host but yet, does the stupidest infantile jokes and gags.
post #107 of 347 Old 02-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

He sucks you in and continues to surprise with his breadth of knowledge. His interview with Desmond Tutu obviously garnered quite a bit of respect. His recent show with Cornell West came off quite nicely and CF more than held his own on some rather touchy issues.

I love it when he goes off on one of his Philosophy rants and starts comparing rather obscure sublevels of Philosophy. It's quite obvious despite his addiction past there is quite a decent IQ lurking under there.

When he had Claire Danes on last year and found out that her father-in-law was published moral philosopher and Professor Jonathan Dancey (University of Texas) he couldn't book the guy fast enough -- how many late night hosts would have just melted under that sort of load or even considered doing a show with that sort of a guest. Again Craig not only held his own, but made the whole episode quite interesting.

OTOH, damn if I don't love his puppet shows -- Sid and Wavey are just a blast. Some people apparently hated his All Puppet 1000th show, but I though the whole idea was brilliant.
post #108 of 347 Old 02-13-2011, 12:14 AM

yep, I've seen all those episodes as well. I still have them archived. I think because of his addictive past he became well read specially about philosophy. I keep on thinking he's channeling Tom Snyder sometimes and so does CF. I also had no Idea he knew anything about science.

ran

setton sansui lo-d kensonic esprit nikko concept aurex a&d optonica otto
I love my dead av brands!
post #109 of 347 Old 02-13-2011, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Didn't know we had a thread for Craig! I started watching last summer and haven't missed a single one since... near the end of last year I got crazy busy, so I ditched a couple broadcast dramas to make sure I had time for each and every Late Late Show.
post #110 of 347 Old 02-13-2011, 01:46 AM

kronos king of the monkey people is my favroite puppet. but wavy and nadine was my fav combo.

ran

setton sansui lo-d kensonic esprit nikko concept aurex a&d optonica otto
I love my dead av brands!
post #111 of 347 Old 02-13-2011, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I started watching The Late Late Show back in 2009. I really enjoy his puppet shows. Puppet shows are almost a lost art these days. I'm glad Craig Ferguson is doing them. I also enjoy his cooking guests when they have the table of food spreadout. Good stuff.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
post #112 of 347 Old 02-16-2011, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I can't say enough about Geoff Peterson.

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #113 of 347 Old 02-16-2011, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamoreSeej View Post

I can't say enough about Geoff Peterson.

Geoff is cool.
post #114 of 347 Old 02-18-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Q&A
Craig Ferguson on Stand-Up, Theme Shows and Sitting Out the Late-Night Wars
By Joel Keller, AOL.com's 'TV Squad' - February 18th, 2011

Craig Ferguson has said it before, and he's sticking with his story: He is definitely not interested in starting or participating in another Late Night War.

"In order for there to be a war there would have to be something here that I was desirous of capturing. And there isn't," he told me yesterday.

On 'The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson' every weeknight, he gets to dance to a modified 'Doctor Who' theme, banter with a robotic sidekick and pull out naughty puppets whenever he wants. And his improvisational monologue and casual, off-the-cuff interview style has drawn raves. Of all the late-night hosts, Ferguson seems to be the most comfortable in his own hosting skin.

Calling in to promote his new stand-up special, 'Craig Ferguson: Does This Need to Be Said?', which premieres on the EPIX network Saturday at 8PM ET, we talked about the way he writes stand-up, his love of dancing to Britney Spears, and how he really sees himself. But first, there was a need to congratulate him on a big event in his life.

Joel Keller: Congratulations on the birth of your son, Liam.
Craig Ferguson: Oh, thanks very much indeed. Yeah, he's almost 3 weeks old now, so I'll sleep soon. I keep telling myself that anyway. It's a big old sleep-deprivation fun ride.

What's the difference between this kind of sleep deprivation and some of your previous sleep deprivation in life?
Well, this one's not chemically enhanced in any way, for a start. And also, I gotta work when I wake up in the morning. I didn't have to work when it was back in the day.

How has this shaken up your daily routine?
Well, you know, like any newborn, you know it just shakes up your life. I mean, my wife's dealing with most of it. I'm, you know, delighted and grateful per se. So I kind of, I come at work and pretend I'm working, and nap in my office. But I was doing that before he was born, so I don't know if that's a huge difference. [Laughs]

What I noticed about the show was that it starts off by you telling the audience "Hey, I want to tell a joke," and then you just kind of layer and sidetrack and then peel back the onion. How tough is that to keep track of in your mind as you're going through it?
Well, actually it's some sort of a trick. Because what I did, as I was preparing the material, was I always knew that joke. So the joke that I tell at the end of the piece, I say, "I want to tell you a joke." Then if you don't tell that joke, and you hit a spot where you can't remember material, you can go back and either tell the joke and get off, or say you're going to tell the joke, which gives you enough time to rack your brain to move on to the next piece of material.

It also allows me to build the material in bite-size chunks. So if I could go to a comedy club and say hey, I want to tell you a joke, then do 10 minutes of new material, and then tell the joke... So it was more of a technique really. And then once you've performed the show over and over and over again, that's when it starts to develop and become as multi-layered as it does. You know, it's really, you're making a cabinet. You sand it, you varnish it, you sand it, you varnish it, you sand it, you varnish it, and it gives a deeper and deeper feel.

At the end of the special, you do a dance to 'Oops I Did It Again.' Did you tour with the two guys who dance with you?
We finish that act up every night. Every night that dance number. We did it every night.

Is Britney Spears an inspiration?
[Laughs] You know what, I just thought the song was nice, and it was a fun way to end the show. And everybody seemed to respond well to it. I mean, had it not been done so well, I'd have probably it out by the tenth show, but people loved it, so it stayed in.

Your style of interviewing people on 'Late Late' is very off the cuff and improvisational, like your monologue. How did that develop?
It's about degrees of comfort. The more constraints that were put on me at the beginning, as "This is the format, this is the way these shows are done," the more uncomfortable I felt. Because I didn't feel that I had a position in late night television. I wasn't fascinated by the form. I didn't grow up wanting to be Johnny Carson, as legendary and as good as he is and was, it wasn't something that I aspired to. So I didn't feel the call of the format the way that many of my contemporaries do. And the more that I deconstructed it, for myself, not because I felt any kind of animosity towards the way it was done, but just for myself, the more I did that, the more comfortable I became.

Peter Lassaly, who's a producer of the show, and who is my mentor in all of these things, and in fact, was the producer of 'The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson' for 30 years, was very keen to encourage me to find ways to be comfortable. Because comfort on screen is actually what these things were developed for in the first place. So if that doesn't work for you, then find what does. So the deconstruction of the format really came from just levels of comfort. You're absolutely right, that's what it was about.

One of the big interview clips that have been floating around lately is you and William Shatner complaining about lack of being promoted by CBS.
[Laughs] But you know what? You talk to people on TV shows all the time, right? Everybody complains about that. We were just saying what anyone on any television show will say at any point, given half the chance. And any television executive is familiar with that.

You've said in the past that you don't consider yourself a late-night talk show host. How do you see yourself?
I suppose if I was pushed to put it into one particular thing, then I suppose it would be writing, just because that's where it all comes from. It all is born from the actual perspiration of sitting down and spinning something on ... however random and however rough a format is, it has to be written down first, before I can begin with it. And should I lose my facility of speech, or just having a TV show, then I would return to writing the stuff down. So I think probably I'm a writer. I'm either a writer or a stand-up. And they're kind of the same thing, I think.

There was a rumor going around that Keith Olbermann did the voice of Geoff the robot sidekick on an episode. Is that true?
Absolutely not. No, no. It's all done by the same guy, Josh Thompson, who does the voice of Geoff every night. And he comes in most days and records new stuff, all the stuff. He's a terrifically talented voice artist. No, Keith didn't do it.

And they just push a button for whatever random thing Geoff is going to say?
Yeah, I don't push the button, and I don't know what the random phrases are. There's one of the writers that is off-stage with a control pad, he uses an iPad. And he controls the robot that way, and he fires it off whenever he feels like firing it off. And I don't know what the phrase is, or what's going to come next.

You should have Watson come on, and he and Geoff can do a little quiz round or something like that.
[Laughs] Yeah! I mean, it's interesting. I think that's a little ahead of Geoff.

With the 'Doctor Who' episode, what went on behind the scenes when you realized that the song couldn't be shown on the air at the very last minute?
Oh man, I was pissed! I mean, we had worked on that little dance routine probably longer than we worked on anything else in the show. We'd spent almost an hour getting that done. So I was really pissed when I found out. It wasn't a great day for the producers of the show. But, you know, it leaked out on the internet. And it actually wasn't me that did it, I'm delighted to say. It was somebody else that leaked it out. And then, of course, the clearance came through anyway, so we just showed it.

Do you want to do more episodes like that in the future? What other themes can you think of that you would like to explore?
Well, it tends to come up as it comes up. I mean, most of these thematic episodes tend to be actually a little more serious in their tone than the 'Doctor Who' thing. I mean, I guess, we did the 'MythBusters' one, which was fun.

Stephen Fry too, right?
Yeah. And the conversation with Stephen was a little more, just by the nature of what it was, it was a little more intense. Or when it was Bishop Desmond Tutu, or when we did the beginning of Black History Month with Cornell West ... these things tend to have a little more kind of gravitas to them. But you know, I don't really know what's coming up next, because that isn't what's going to be the bug in my ass tomorrow. And it's all kind of based around that.

Any chance you and your buddy Jimmy Fallon will be on each other's shows at any point?
I think we would both love to do that. And I think that that's no secret. I think that there are clearly concerns other than Jimmy and I involved here. But I like and respect Jimmy Fallon. And we have a very cordial and friendly relationship. So I'd love to see it happen. I don't see any need for it not to. But we'll see how it plays out. There are lawyers and executives in this world too.

So no chance of a Late Night War part three?
I don't know. In order for there to be a war there would have to be something here that I was desirous of capturing. And there isn't. You know, I do what I want to do here. A war, by its very nature, the oxygen of a war, for me to participate in a late night war, is that I would actually have to be trying to achieve or get some kind of plunder for myself, whether it's another time slot or another show. And I don't have that ambition. I don't care. You know, and that maybe, if nothing else makes me not a late night host, then maybe it's that. I genuinely, actually I'm not lying to you, I don't f*cking care. You know, I'm amazed I'm still on the air now.

You couldn't even do what you do now at 11:30 because it just wouldn't work there, I would imagine.
Well, you know, who's to say? I don't know. When I started at 12:30 it wasn't going to work either. Everybody said, "Oh the accent, oh it's the wrong guy." And Rick Ludwin at NBC said "He's too old to start a 12:30 show." I was the f*cking same age as Conan at the same time he was their guy. But it was kind of like people just f*cking tell you you can't do it. And you know, that's of no real interest. You know, could I do it at 11:30? I don't know. No one's asked me.

Well, you know, Letterman keeps saying he's going to retire, so you never know, right?
Well, we'll see. I mean, the thing is, I think Dave does a great job, and I swear, I think he should do it as long as he wants to do it.

'Craig Ferguson: Does This Need to Be Said?'
premieres on EPIX Saturday, Feb. 19, at 8PM ET.

'The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson'
airs weeknights at 12:35AM ET on CBS.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2011/02/18/cr...son-interview/
post #115 of 347 Old 02-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for that.
post #116 of 347 Old 02-20-2011, 01:54 PM

Thank for putting that up. I've been on a Craigy kick lately. Anyone read his books? They're pretty damn good. I do hope that his new special gets put on dvd.

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #117 of 347 Old 02-20-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Off to CBS Television City in Hollywood to see C-F again this week for the xxth time.

Looking forward to it. The staff is truly fun and the show is, well, all Ferguson in person....
post #118 of 347 Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Craig on Charlie sheen "mental illness is not funny"
post #119 of 347 Old 04-16-2011, 02:53 PM

So Geoff got upgraded to having Josh Robert Thompson (who voices GP) be live with Craig (from backstage? the control room? Mars?) from now on. This has been done before when Geoff went to Comic-Con and a couple movie premieres. I, for one, love the prerecorded sound bites that Geoff has had since July. But now with the "upgrades" he's like Andy Richter now. And he sounds like he has a very bad head cold now. It's very sad to me.

Oh, just remembered this: the show is now being sponsored by alcohol and gambling. I know they have to take money where they get it but sponsoring a show (hosted by a recovering alcoholic, mind you) with beer and Vegas is just plain stupid.

post #120 of 347 Old 04-17-2011, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Geoff's voice just doesn't sound right now. I hope they can fix his voice and let him continue to me more talkative.

I still love Secretariot, Sid, and Wavy.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page