FOX HD live sports - Stutter or 24p effect - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 405 Old 08-23-2009, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Charter and am using a SA 8300HDC DVR box and am also having this problem with fox (a couple other hd channels, show the stuttering effect but not nearly as frequent as sports on fox). Yesterday while watching the sox/yankees I hooked up a SA 3250HD non dvr box and the problem went away, so it is definetly a issue with the 8300HDC.

Hopefully a there is a fix without having to call Charter, as the stuttering drives me nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 405 Old 08-23-2009, 11:36 AM

I only noticed it on fox broadcasts. baseball now football. The charger game last night on cbs afflilliate did not have this happen. It did however have the same blurring issue i always have with my samsung 4661f. The fox broadcasts don't blur when the action fast or there is flashing lights. My guess is the software some of their cameras have to skipframes so to reduce blurring.
It is a surreal effect ,its better in some ways and distraction in other ways.
post #93 of 405 Old 08-23-2009, 04:01 PM

Same stutter during Cowboys/Titans.
DFW Charter SA8300 DVR.

I hope this is fixed before the season starts. I switch to OTA feed from the local channel and there was no stutter.

My local cable is clueless and want to replace the box.
post #94 of 405 Old 08-24-2009, 08:28 AM

The problem occurred in Rochester during the Thursday and Friday football games on Fox. My SA8300HD was set to upconvert 720p to 1080i. It decreased or disappeared when the box was set to stay at 720p. The stuttering stopped completely when viewing in QAM or OTA.
post #95 of 405 Old 08-25-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Not seeing anything unusual on WJBK-DT FOX Detroit.

If you are seeing the problem, post the city and call letters of the FOX HD station you are watching, and your provider; OTA, Cable, DBS, Verizon, AT&T.

I have seen this effect only through my Time-Warner Cable SA 8240HDC box on WRAZ-HD, Raleigh, NC.

It only appears during live MLB and NFL broadcasts on Fox within the last month or so.

QAM and OTA appear to be stutter-free.

1080i and 720p resolutions both stutter on Fox when viewed through the cable box.
post #96 of 405 Old 08-25-2009, 08:30 AM

Liked: 32
I feel I MUST ask this question...For everyone that says there is no issues when using OTA...Why on earth don't you watch the OTA in the first place...
post #97 of 405 Old 08-25-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

No DVR for OTA. Most of those affected are using cable DVRs.
post #98 of 405 Old 08-27-2009, 10:51 AM

I'll check on the stuttering issue tonight during the Bucs/Dolphins, if still present and I'm sure it will be, I'll switch over to OTA. Brightouse Tampa is "sure" that Cisco is working to resolve the issue, there is no firmware update at this time. A tech supervisor I know trashed SA and talked up the Samsung boxes they are testing, to be released in the next couple months. Per him, the Samsungs are better at correcting errors and overall should have less "problems". We'll see.
post #99 of 405 Old 08-27-2009, 05:11 PM

I'm having the same issue tonight with Bucs-Dolphins. I've seen it on all recent FOX Sports telecasts. Northern NJ Cablevision with a SA 8300 HD

This had better be fixed soon, it's almost football season
post #100 of 405 Old 08-27-2009, 05:13 PM

It was happening in tonight's game as well. Switched to OTA, and their HD channel was showing it in SD . After switching it back to the cable bax, they showed it in highdef for about 3 minutes before switching to a standard definition feed. I wonder if they are getting complaints.
post #101 of 405 Old 08-27-2009, 05:46 PM

Liked: 32
Gorgeous HD picture and sound OTA...
post #102 of 405 Old 08-27-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13InchB&W View Post

Here in Tampa I've noticed the stuttering on Fox HD MLB games since the Allstar game. And of course it has carried over into the NFL preseason telecasts. No stuttering during commericials. Stuttering noticeable from various camera angles during the live game telecast. NFL telecasts had no such issues last season. ESPN HD MLB games and NFL preseason on NBC HD are fine. Fox SD feed is stutter free. The HD telecast is unwatchable and completely unacceptable. It's like watching a game on acid, or so I'd think. Not surprised that this seems to be a TWC/Brighthouse issue. I have a direct line to a Tech Supervisor at BH but am honestly tired of the repeated issues with this provider from tiling/microblocking to lack of HD content. May be time to make the switch to Fios.

Bright House Cable Tampa
WTVT
SA 4250 HDC

I feel your pain. I've also got a TWC/BH guy on speed-dial because I have so many issues with their service and am desperately waiting for FioS to roll out in my area.

Add another 8300HD to the list of stutterers...however, I've also seen a the broadcast stutter on a CBS HD sports event (can't remember which).

Avarice
post #103 of 405 Old 08-27-2009, 06:27 PM

Same here in Cleve, OH. TWC SA8300HD. OTA looks great.
post #104 of 405 Old 08-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Wow - sad and glad to hear I'm not the only one who sees and is greatly disturbed by the stuttering on Fox!

What the f&#E?????

Totally unacceptable.

Erik Tracy
TWC/ San Diego
SA8300
post #105 of 405 Old 08-27-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post

Wow - sad and glad to hear I'm not the only one who sees and is greatly disturbed by the stuttering on Fox!

Shouldn't that be stuttering on SA? The fact that these are apparently the only decoders with the problem would put it in their court. Maybe it's time to tell the cable providers that the sat providers don't have this issue and they're looking better every day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #106 of 405 Old 08-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

Shouldn't that be stuttering on SA? The fact that these are apparently the only decoders with the problem would put it in their court. Maybe it's time to tell the cable providers that the sat providers don't have this issue and they're looking better every day.

Hmmm...was not a problem last year....so it isn't the SA....could be the firmware???
post #107 of 405 Old 08-27-2009, 08:51 PM

Same problem during the FOX football game tonight on Cox Phoenix with a 8300HD but no problem on the other TV with a 3250

Donald

Audio Engineer
------------------------
The Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences
post #108 of 405 Old 08-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

I don't see stuttering during Fox commercial breaks on the same channel... I don't see stuttering during an HD baseball game on a different channel during the same time slot...I don't see stuttering on other channels with other programming...I only see stuttering during Fox HD football....hmmmmm.....pattern here????
post #109 of 405 Old 08-27-2009, 09:20 PM

I have seen this stuttering ONLY on Fox football with 8300HD.
It is also present on SD feed but nowhere else on the whole friggen channel
line-up. WTF is going on?
I will have to see if the issue exists OTA next game.
post #110 of 405 Old 08-28-2009, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

I don't see stuttering during Fox commercial breaks on the same channel... I don't see stuttering during an HD baseball game on a different channel during the same time slot...I don't see stuttering on other channels with other programming...I only see stuttering during Fox HD football....hmmmmm.....pattern here????

Hmmm, seems a most significant part of story was omitted - this only seems to occur on SA STBs. OTA and direct QAM does not have the problem. It also appears to be occurring for some on other feeds such as ESPN. Both of these are sports feeds in 720P, so there is no 2:3 pulldown. It would be interesting to see if any other 60P video on FOX also has this problem.

MPEG encoding is not a strict standard but more of a guideline. ATSC has also had some additions since it's inception such as AFD. FOX has switched from Tandberg to Motorola encoding, and the network encoded feed is passed without re-encode through the affiliates. FOX is now using AFD, and I think its use was added after last years NFL season.

Incompatibility between equipment is nothing new. However, since the issue is pretty much confined to the SA boxes and no other decoder appears to have an issue with theses streams and the problem is occurring on more than one channel, I'd say this points to the problem being the SA boxes.

The cable companies are ultimately responsible for providing properly functioning equipment. They may try to blame the networks for the problem, but when is not occurring on any other means of receiving the same signal it becomes a weak argument. If it was an Apple product, the faithful would just accept it as gospel. I doubt that cable companies have that sort of fanatical following.

Having said this, I think it would be in FOX's best interest to try to identify if there is something in their stream that is causing the incompatibility. It may not be their fault, but viewers will see this issue as being connected with FOX. It would probably be a good idea for viewers to complain to the cable companies and remind them that their competition does not have this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Tx View Post

It is also present on SD feed but nowhere else on the whole friggen channel line-up.

The FOX SD feed is encoded by the cable company as a down conversion from the station's HD feed.

post #111 of 405 Old 08-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

I've sent an inquiry to San Diego TWC.......and now we shall see what response I get.....
post #112 of 405 Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 AM

Switched over to OTA after the usual stutter present both on 1080i and 720p. OTA was stutter free. Like I said before, Brighthouse Tampa has said that Cisco doesn't have a firmware update at this time. Will they have it by the start of the reg season? Who knows. I've also emailed Fox and with no detailed resonse back other than that they will look into the problem. It comes down to the cable providers not really caring that a handfull of their customers may switch over to satellite/Fios/Uverse. I just don't see the effort put out on their end to satisfy their existing customers. Just look at the HD content, err lack there of, and the excruciating lapses in adding channels. Fios will be available to me soon and despite the extra cost and the procedure of having to write my HOA to opt out of cable, it looks more and more appealing to make the switch.
post #113 of 405 Old 08-28-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I've seen stuttering on via OTA on KTBC (Fox7 Austin, TX) and KWKT (Fox44 Waco, TX) on all live events on Fox for the past 3 weeks (football, baseball). Also the lip synch is always off, too.

Surely it can't be both stations and must be something that Fox is transmitting.

Tried on 2 tuners (1 TV tuner, 1 HD DVR tuner) with the same results.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

post #114 of 405 Old 08-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

I got a suprisingly quick reply from San Diego TWC about my inquiry about the stuttering, that it has been noted nation wide(provided the link to this thread), and seems to be predominantly limited to SA8300 series STB:

Quote:

Dear Mr. Tracy,

Thank you for contacting Time Warner Cable. I will be more than glad to assist you with your request regarding an outage on your area.

According to our system we already have been working on it and the issue will be resolved as soon as possible, I am unable to let you know how long it will take, but I promise you that it will be very soon.

Thank you for your email and help.

Not sure about why they think this is an 'outage' but I'll keep everyone posted if I hear anything more.

Erik
post #115 of 405 Old 08-28-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I got a suprisingly quick reply from San Diego TWC about my inquiry about the stuttering, that it has been noted nation wide(provided the link to this thread), and seems to be predominantly limited to SA8300 series STB:

Not sure about why they think this is an 'outage' but I'll keep everyone posted if I hear anything more.

Erik

Sounds like a form reply to me...
post #116 of 405 Old 08-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSaysYo View Post

Sounds like a form reply to me...

Yup.

I sent a followup just to clarify that I was not reporting an outage but a potential 'product delivery problem' -either at TWC or with the Broadcast providers.

I got another email:

Quote:

Dear Mr. Tracy,

Thank you for contacting Time Warner Cable Email Support. I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. I certainly can assist you with this cable service issue.

After double checking on the system, I have noticed that our technicians are aware of this issue and they are currently working to fix it as soon as possible. We appreciate your ongoing patience and support.

We value you as a customer!

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to

E-mail us again or contact our Live Chat at the following link:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/Custo...chat/chat.ashx

Our Live Chat support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.

Sincerely,
Time Warner Cable Online Customer Service

Looks like a copy and paste reply.....
post #117 of 405 Old 08-29-2009, 01:45 PM

I see the stutter on Fox MLB games all the time here on WJBK in Detroit through WOW HD cable. I don't have this problem on any other programming of any kind.
post #118 of 405 Old 08-29-2009, 02:14 PM

We have it hear in Palm Beach County, Florida.

Comcast
Fox Channel 434
SA8300HD

Please fix this before football really starts.
post #119 of 405 Old 08-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Still happening here watching the Mets vs. Cubs.

WNYW-DT NY via Cablevision.
SA4250HD
post #120 of 405 Old 08-29-2009, 03:36 PM

in Chicago watching the Cubs Mets game
WFLD-DT OTA
WFLD-DT RCN Chicago Moto DCT6412 III
all no stutter

I wish I had a SA box to test