AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Programming (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/)
-   -   Shark Week on Discovery Channel (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/1167837-shark-week-discovery-channel.html)

boswd 08-02-2009 08:17 PM

One of the Best Summer Traditions continues starting tonight.

Blood in the Water looks beutiful, here's to most being in HD and not alot of upconverted SD.

Young C 08-03-2009 07:53 AM

Nice, I'll be checking this out.
Space Week 2009 was pretty cool.

derek 08-03-2009 09:03 AM

My wife and I enjoyed 'Blood in the Water.' Got a bit repetitive toward the end but the re-enactments and SFX were very well done. Liked how they threw shark facts/tidbits in with the storyline. I was really shocked to learn the first documented US attack was in 1916 (either coast.) I assume other earlier attacks just were misinterpreted or went unreported. And people just didn't frequent the oceans as much back then.

boswd 08-03-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post

My wife and I enjoyed 'Blood in the Water.' Got a bit repetitive toward the end but the re-enactments and SFX were very well done. Liked how they threw shark facts/tidbits in with the storyline. I was really shocked to learn the first documented US attack was in 1916 (either coast.) I assume other earlier attacks just were misinterpreted or went unreported. And people just didn't frequent the oceans as much back then.

yeah they kicked it off well, it was a very informative show and I like the style. The productin was just gorgous. colors were very very rich amazing detail and clarity.
Lot's a great facts especially how it was the inspiration for the book JAWS.

jikei 08-03-2009 11:05 AM

No new Mythbusters Shark Myths

davdev 08-03-2009 11:47 AM

I found it hard to watch Blood in the Water after they blamed the killings on a Great White. No shark expert thinks the 1916 attacks were done by a white, it was a Bull Shark, Whites can't survive in rivers, but Bulls sure can. I know they mentioned the water possibly being saltier than normal, but there is no proof of that at all. To make it even worse, the show prior to it was about the 10 deadliest sharks and in the segment on the Bulls they mentioned this attack and explained why it had to have been a bull.
Not even to mention that a white shark is not a grasp and hold on killer. They tend to take one massive bite and swim away and let the prey bleed to death. A Bull will hold on though.
Just another example of bad science from a network that should know better.

taz291819 08-03-2009 03:45 PM

Damn, missed it last night, forgot to set the DVR, hopefully it'll repeat.

And wow, they really blamed the 1916 attacks on a Great White? I thought everyone knew it was a bull shark.

sayanythingrock 08-03-2009 06:18 PM

we'll see how this is tonight. im not a huge fan of survivorman but we'll see

boswd 08-03-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev View Post

I found it hard to watch Blood in the Water after they blamed the killings on a Great White. No shark expert thinks the 1916 attacks were done by a white, it was a Bull Shark, Whites can't survive in rivers, but Bulls sure can. I know they mentioned the water possibly being saltier than normal, but there is no proof of that at all. To make it even worse, the show prior to it was about the 10 deadliest sharks and in the segment on the Bulls they mentioned this attack and explained why it had to have been a bull.
Not even to mention that a white shark is not a grasp and hold on killer. They tend to take one massive bite and swim away and let the prey bleed to death. A Bull will hold on though.
Just another example of bad science from a network that should know better.

You've got to remember they did this show through the premis of what was believed back during the time all this was going on in NJ. They thought it was a Great White back then.

At the end they did say that most shark experts believe it was a bull shark and not a Great White.
But the show was done as a documentary that would have taken place at the time of incident. That's what made the show very interesting to watch. They were using the science that was available to them at the time.

I thought it was a very well done show all around.

boswd 08-03-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayanythingrock View Post

we'll see how this is tonight. im not a huge fan of survivorman but we'll see

it wasn't bad, but I can only take so much of surviorman, he's a bit of a tool. but I never get tired of the South African breaching Great Whites, that is just the craziest thing to watch.

Cosmos2 08-03-2009 09:12 PM

How are they going to make "The Colony" fit the shark week theme?

davdev 08-03-2009 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

but I never get tired of the South African breaching Great Whites, that is just the craziest thing to watch.

I have told my wife that is one thing I am going to see in person before I croke. The power is simply awesome. Hopefully I can see it before people kill them all off for soup

Sign the petition to ban fining here:
http://www.oceanconservancy.org/site...ticle&id=12982

boswd 08-03-2009 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdev View Post

I have told my wife that is one thing I am going to see in person before I croke. The power is simply awesome. Hopefully I can see it before people kill them all off for soup

Sign the petition to ban fining here:
http://www.oceanconservancy.org/site...ticle&id=12982

Great idea posting the petition. I signed with pleasure. I'm no tree hugger or a PETA nut etc but what man is doing to the sharks is disgusting. Also I hate the Shark fishing contests. It's just sickening.

I'm with you on going on one of those South African shark exp. I have to see that as well, It really is just nuts.

Young C 08-04-2013 09:08 AM

Shark Week 2013 starts tonight at 7:00 PM CST with Air Jaws on Discovery Channel and Ragged Tooth Sharks on NatGeo Wild at 7:00 PM CST

oink 08-04-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Shark Week 2013 starts tonight at 7:00 PM CST with Air Jaws on Discovery Channel and Ragged Tooth Sharks on NatGeo Wild at 7:00 PM CST
WOOT!
Thanx for that.smile.gif

Young C 08-06-2013 07:10 PM

Holy sh*t, Paul's shark bite was hardcore! It was shown on the program "I escaped Jaws" tonight at 8:00.

wow! Another guy with half his leg bit off, dude's name was Eric.

eek.gif

oink 08-06-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Holy sh*t, Paul's shark bite was hardcore! It was shown on the program "I escaped Jaws" tonight at 8:00.

wow! Another guy with half his leg bit off, dude's name was Eric.

eek.gif
Precisely why I never swim in the ocean.
Oddly, I have never been bit by a shark....

Young C 08-07-2013 05:29 AM

haha that's funny biggrin.gif

mhufnagel 08-07-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Precisely why I never swim in the ocean.
Oddly, I have never been bit by a shark....

You're quite lucky. If you've watched a lot of Shark Week in the past, you would know that Bull Sharks can be found in fresh water! wink.gif

Young C 08-07-2013 10:37 AM

Found out a pretty lady at the office is into Shark Week. We were discussing this weeks programming, pretty cool biggrin.gif

oink 08-07-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

You're quite lucky. If you've watched a lot of Shark Week in the past, you would know that Bull Sharks can be found in fresh water! wink.gif
In Oregon, we have no dang Bull Sharks!biggrin.gif

Quote:

Found out a pretty lady at the office is into Shark Week. We were discussing this weeks programming, pretty cool biggrin.gif
OK....so are you saying YOU'RE the shark?tongue.gif

Tack 08-07-2013 11:06 AM

Pretty awesome promotion for Shark Week this year.

Young C 08-08-2013 06:38 AM

Learned about a new species of shark last night. Cookiecutter Shark (Isistius brasiliensis)

Weird jawline and I think no other shark has a bite-shape like it.

oink 08-08-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Learned about a new species of shark last night. Cookiecutter Shark (Isistius brasiliensis)

Weird jawline and I think no other shark has a bite-shape like it.
I once knew a girl with a mouth like that.....it didn't last.wink.gif

Young C 08-09-2013 07:00 AM

That's pretty good biggrin.gif

Watched the program last night "Alien Jaws" or something of that nature. Pretty cool.

Young C 07-17-2014 11:28 AM

Shark Week 2014 is around the corner! Starts Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM CST

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/shark-week/#!/

Young C 08-11-2014 09:42 AM

Missed the premier last night! Should be cool to watch it through-out the week though :D