post #812 of 833 Old 12-20-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAHayes View Post

Tap has its place, and I've REALLY enjoyed watching really good tappers, such as Gregory Hines, do their thing -- I just didn't think any of them were all that good... To me, great tappers have more than just their feet... they dance with their whole bodies and don't look so awkward ABOVE the waist, which I thought those three -- especially the gal -- DID. And I just DON'T see a place for TAP in this sort of show -- at least NOT unless Nigel is TRYING to get it canceled!

The 3 of them are good tappers. They showed it during Vegas and the auditions. That was just a poorly choreographed number, IMHO.

I found it refreshing to see tappers this year. It's bad enough the show seems to hate ballet dancers. They don't need to get a reputation of being anti-tap as well. Ballroom, hip-hop and contemporary are wonderful forms of dance. However, they're not the only ones.
post #813 of 833 Old 12-20-2009, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 90
My biggest gripe with the tappers(and it's not their fault) was the awful mic job that was done this year. Every time I heard it, it was like fingernails on a chalk board. It sounded bad on my stereo and 5.1 setup, I sure hope they drop the mic next season or turn it way down.
post #814 of 833 Old 12-20-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

The 3 of them are good tappers. They showed it during Vegas and the auditions. That was just a poorly choreographed number, IMHO.

I found it refreshing to see tappers this year. It's bad enough the show seems to hate ballet dancers. They don't need to get a reputation of being anti-tap as well. Ballroom, hip-hop and contemporary are wonderful forms of dance. However, they're not the only ones.

The primary problem with tap and ballet is that they're such specialties that it's difficult for them to choreograph duets with random pairings. The contemporary dancers study a lot of ballet, so if you get two of the best of them together they can generally handle it. Mellisa & Ade last season did a Pas De Duex in season 5 and Katee & Will did one in seaon 6 (curious how pairs with the best chance of doing a ballet piece successfully randomly draw one from a hat when they have ballet guest choreographers ). They couldn't do a tap duet at all, unless two tappers were randomly paired.

I think that they chose 3 tappers this season because Nigel is a tap fan (I think that in his dance and choreography career it primarily did jazz, Broadway and some ballet); on the Season 4 finale, he performed a tap piece with a large group of very young Debbie Allen Dancy Academy students.

I don't think that they should be prejudiced against tappers, but unless they've studied other styles I think that they're less likely to make it into the top 10 than any other specialty.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #815 of 833 Old 12-20-2009, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

...One more thing... someone above said something about HOW BADLY that finale show could have done WITHOUT that tap routine... I'd second, third, fourth AND FIFTH that sentiment! As bad as I thought that was on the "Meet the Top 20" show, it seemed EVEN WORSE on the Finale! I think Nigel is getting early Alzheimer's, or something, lol.

Tap has its place, and I've REALLY enjoyed watching really good tappers, such as Gregory Hines, do their thing -- I just didn't think any of them were all that good... To me, great tappers have more than just their feet... they dance with their whole bodies and don't look so awkward ABOVE the waist, which I thought those three -- especially the gal -- DID. And I just DON'T see a place for TAP in this sort of show -- at least NOT unless Nigel is TRYING to get it canceled!
Jeff

The problem for me with multiple tappers thumping it out is that rather than distinctive tap sounds to transmit a rhythm you get a blurred result and mush of sound with barely any discernible rhythm. The rule should be...only one tapper doing his/her thing at a time.

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #816 of 833 Old 12-21-2009, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post

The problem for me with multiple tappers thumping it out is that rather than distinctive tap sounds to transmit a rhythm you get a blurred result and mush of sound with barely any discernible rhythm. The rule should be...only one tapper doing his/her thing at a time.

Yeah, unless you can have well-choreographed tappers. I think it's possible to have two or more tappers who ARE tapping in unison, but I didn't ever seen any two or more of THAT group do it.

Truthfully, tap is one of those dance styles that I appreciate mostly only when it's really soft-shoe, or just downright incredible, and none of those three came up to that standard. Not that they weren't great tappers. It's just that for me, I think, tappers have to be more than just "great" to really get me past all the awkwards aspects of the dance and the potentially annoying sound of the taps (and I found ALL of their taps annoying-sounding, although I've not always found them to sound annoying, but only when it's sort of "soft-shoe," generally).
Jeff

Life is the only constant...

post #817 of 833 Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure if we ever definitively answered the question of a Season 6 Tour on this thread, but last night, after finally getting to watch "Fame" (which had less of Kherrington in it than I'd imagined, even though she was still billed third -- and I couldn't find ANY other SYTYCD dancers in the film, or credits, even though we were led to believe differently)...

At any rate, after that, I did a bit of searching about past winners and some Top 10s and runners up at IMDB and in the process found the following link that seems to pretty well CONFIRM there IS NO Season 6 Tour: http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...-6-top-10.html

There are a number of other links about Season 6 at the bottom of that article, too, beginning with an interview with Russell about what happened to his foot on Finale night and also why he was still able to jump for joy at the end, lol -- "cutesy quote" from Mollee in the article above, lol.

At any rate, I didn't search on EVERYONE, just a few, selectively... I searched Season 3 winner Sabra Johnson, who was one of the lowest-credited dancers in the first "High School Musical" movie in 2006 -- credited about the same place as Mollee Gray -- She has NO IMDB credits since then aside from SYTYCD, meaning she hasn't worked in movies or TV since then (not meaning she hasn't worked on the stage). Mollee, on the other hand, moved up to a higher credit, as "Principal Dancer" in the following two movies. However, it's quite possible Sabra had to SKIP the second and third movies to DO SYTYCD, and NONE of those dancing roles were named roles.

Steven "Twitch" Boss made a 9-minute short dance movie BEFORE SYTYCD (yeah, he was a "nobody," lol). And he's in post-production on one or two more right now... about 7th billed

Joshua Allen is in Post-production on a dance movie right now... about 5th billed.

We all know what Chelsie's doing -- "Dancing with the Stars." That's her sole IMDB credit since the show... Russell has no other IMDB credits. I also checked Kayla, who doesn't either. Nor does Jeanine.

I didn't check anyone from the first two seasons, since I didn't see those seasons. It was also getting VERY late, lol.

The article above speculates on why there's no Season 6 tour and also whether or not the show will go back to Summers-only.

I think we all agree it should... and also back to a Top 4. This season SUCKED. If not for Kathryn, Jacob and a few other highlights, there'd be practically nothing to remember.
Jeff

post #818 of 833 Old 01-04-2010, 04:01 PM

Liked: 123
Quote:

...This season SUCKED...

Only in comparison to other seasons. Remember, even with this being the worst season to date of SYTYCD, it still (to use Mia Micheals' phrase) "is going to blow American I-Dull out of the water."
post #819 of 833 Old 01-04-2010, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

I think we all agree it should... and also back to a Top 4. This season SUCKED. If not for Kathryn, Jacob and a few other highlights, there'd be practically nothing to remember.

I don't know if I'd go so far as "sucked" Jeff but I have already almost forgotten Season 6. I have virtually no lingering memories of the season.
post #820 of 833 Old 01-04-2010, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, truthfully, this is probably the first time I actually said "sucked" too, and I don't really mean that, either, BUT, I was left with a HIGH after all the previous seasons (3, 4, 5)... I mean, literally, I was on a sort of emotional high from the show for a couple weeks after (even when I didn't like the outcome on Season 4 -- I thought Seasons 3 and 5 had relatively better outcomes -- I was particularly NOT fond of Courtney beating out Chelsie for the Final 4 in Season 4, though, and I think of the final group, perhaps Katee should have won).

At any rate, I also liked Russell (don't think he should have won, though), and Ellenore, and even Mollee and a few of the others, but this season really didn't seem to have the "spark" other seasons have had... And although I'm with the majority that I think the show lost something by not continuing to have a rotating judge from amongst its choreographers each week, I think Adam Shankman turned out to be probably the best possible choice of a permanent third judge, and brought a great deal of humor to the judging panel.

I think the fact that they ARE about to go into auditions for Season 7 is PROOF that they're not planning on a second Fall season... The primary reason they had back-to-back seasons like that was likely that it was the only way they could go to a Fall schedule (and a Winter/Spring schedule was a non-starter due to a direct conflict with AI). But I don't think ANYONE in his or her right mind would attempt to make this show a twice-a-year phenomenon (the ONLY show I know that does that, and is successful, is "Survivor," and it WAS the very first "reality" show and is still possibly the most popular)...

So if they're starting auditions later this month, that likely means we'll be seeing those air in May, as soon as AI finishes its run for the season, as in the past 5 years, with the season ending the last of July or early August, also as in the past 5 years.

Personally, I welcome the return of Summer's best competition and one of the summer's best shows PERIOD.
Jeff

Parting comment: YES -- ANY SEASON OF SYTYCD BEATS ANY SEASON OF American Eye-Dull!!! -- And the sad fact that it draws like 10 times the ratings and votes says things about our society I've long been saying but would prefer not to be true.

post #821 of 833 Old 01-04-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I don't know if I'd go so far as "sucked" Jeff but I have already almost forgotten Season 6. I have virtually no lingering memories of the season.

Me either. I don't remember much about Season 5 either, though I recall highlights of Seasons 3 and 4.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #822 of 833 Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Me either. I don't remember much about Season 5 either, though I recall highlights of Seasons 3 and 4.

Frankly I'm getting old and all the seasons are starting to blur together and I didn't even start watching the show before season four.

I can't remember what happened in which season of 24 either. They all smear together.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #823 of 833 Old 01-05-2010, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I can't remember what happened in which season of 24 either. They all smear together.

I can't believe I continue to WATCH "24." ONCE was something of a stretch -- that all of that stuff could happen in 24 hours, and that one man could do all that, survive it, and "save the day."

But with each season, it's gotten more far-fetched, and Jack Bauer should have been DUST several times over by now, yet each year, I continue to watch, and even while I'm sitting there thinking how totally ridiculous and preposterous the story is, etc., I'm simultaneously riveted to the edge of my seat almost every single moment, lol.

And I'm not all that old, yet except or perhaps the most recent season, and the first, they all sort of blend together, too, lol.
Jeff

post #824 of 833 Old 01-14-2010, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

So if they're starting auditions later this month, that likely means we'll be seeing those air in May, as soon as AI finishes its run for the season, as in the past 5 years, with the season ending the last of July or early August, also as in the past 5 years.

Caught a quick soundbite with Mike Darnell (head of "Alternative Programming" at FOX) reacting to the Cowell exit from AI at the end of this season and the upcoming launch of "X-Factor" in 2011.

He made some quick comments suggesting that it would be these three shows that would cover the entire year's programming needs... X-Factor in the Fall (presumably September/October start to give it 4+ months on the air), AI in the late Winter (typical mid-January start I assume), and Dance in the Summer (typical late-May start I assume, just as in the past).

Sounds like the Fall season experiment for SYTYCD will [thankfully] go the way of "Leno at 10PM". It just couldn't compete with the rest of Fall season shows, and everybody seemed just exhausted an un-enthused starting so soon after the end of the Summer season.

Personally, I'm happy with this outcome. I'm sure this means the upcoming SYTYCD7 will be starting this May, after AI ends... just like it's always done.
post #825 of 833 Old 01-14-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Over in the HOTP thread, the head honcho (Kevin Reilly?) mentioned at the TCA that SYTYCD is going back to its summer schedule for season 7 - running the show in the fall was a mistake.

Now fix that damn stage!!
post #826 of 833 Old 01-14-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

Over in the HOTP thread, the head honcho (Kevin Reilly?) mentioned at the TCA that SYTYCD is going back to its summer schedule for season 7 - running the show in the fall was a mistake.

Amen to both parts!

I feel bad for the S6 dancers, they seemed to get the shaft with the awful stage, one less week to dance, no all guys/girls number, and now no tour.
post #827 of 833 Old 01-14-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

I'll third that motion!
post #828 of 833 Old 01-14-2010, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hopefully they cram the auditions into three weeks again; the drawn out 7 week presentation was torture.

"
" -- hookbill
post #829 of 833 Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't personally mind all the extra weeks of audition. I sort of like "seeing the process" more. Plus, it gives us more weeks of the show (assuming they don't truncate the ACTUAL season the way they did with Season 6).

What does concern me, however, is that too many weeks of rehearsals might drive down the ratings by causing some of the less commited fans to lose interest before the actual competition begins.

However, I agree 7 weeks still seemed like quite a stretch... I'm thinking perhaps 5 would be a good compromise.
Jeff

post #830 of 833 Old 01-15-2010, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

They didn't show any more hours of the auditions than they did in the summer--they just spread airing them out over 7 weeks. In the summer they showed them on two nights a week (like during the competition), up to four hours in one week. In the fall they played one hour a week in all but one week.

The auditions are far less interesting, IMHO, than the competition itself, but they go down a lot easier if you can go through them as quickly as possible. Airing them in one hours doses over several weeks is just bad television. Had I never seen the show before, I'd have stopped watching after the first few hours.

I also think that they edited the auditions poorly this time, preparing little background vignettes for several auditioners who didn't make it to the final round, leaving us with very little background for most of the people who did get that far. They wasted weeks boring me with the auditions, then at the end they shortened the competition by a week, making the final six the finale . I also missed the guest judges--if they wanted a permanent panel of three, they should have added a fourth, like they do in SYTYCD Canada. In all, it was a stupid experiment in every way--if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

EDIT: Sorry--I got those numbers wrong. They actually spread the Season 6 auditions over nine weeks, whereas in the summer they took four weeks, ten hours of auditions in both the summer and fall.

"
" -- hookbill
post #831 of 833 Old 01-15-2010, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, well NOW I think I TOTALLY agree with your post, Mike.

I hadn't counted the total hours of auditions, and didn't realize we didn't actually get any MORE hours in the fall than we did in the summer -- and I definitely agree it was WAY TOO MANY WEEKS, and that the vignettes of people who weren't going to make it was, well, just stupid. Why not do vignettes on people who ARE going to make it? I just DON'T get that... They get you all sympathetic about folks, only to see those folks CUT.

Just stupid editing, I think.
Jeff

post #832 of 833 Old 01-15-2010, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I know that many don't like her but I think that the show lost something when Mia Michaels left. Like her or not, she is a presence and has choreographed some of the show's most memorable routines.
post #833 of 833 Old 03-07-2010, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Folks,

I've started a Season Seven thread HERE: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post18269035

If you think it's a bit early for that, well, you're right, but you'll understand why when you get there... I just didn't see any sense in making the postings I was going to make in the Season Six thread, rather than just going ahead and getting Season Seven started.
Jeff

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page