Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 833 Old 08-07-2009, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Official thread opener...

Only one month to wait. It starts with a one hour show on Wednesday Sept. 9 at 8PM, followed by "Glee" at 9PM (I won't be watching this one)!

“Glee” follows the adventures and misadventures of the Glee club members of McKinley High School in Lima, OH and its optimistic mentor, Will Schuester, played by Matthew Morrison.

The show also stars an ensemble cast with Broadway actress Lea Michelle as Rachel Berry and Corey Monteith as hunky athlete Finn Hudson leading the Glee club.

From what I heard Cat say last night, sounds like the SYTYCD6 premiere will have repeats of favorite performances from past seasons. I hope they show tapes of those routines, rather than having the original dancers reprise them live... what will now be years later (and years older). But who knows?

The promos and excerpts from the upcoming season looks terrific (but then, you wouldn't expect them to package a promo with dogs, now would you?). But can Sex really be coming back AGAIN????

So, let the countdown start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 833 Old 08-07-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Official thread opener...

Only one month to wait. It starts with a one hour show on Wednesday Sept. 9 at 8PM, followed by "Glee" at 9PM (I won't be watching this one)!

Glee follows the adventures and misadventures of the Glee club members of McKinley High School in Lima, OH and its optimistic mentor, Will Schuester, played by Matthew Morrison.

The show also stars an ensemble cast with Broadway actress Lea Michelle as Rachel Berry and Corey Monteith as hunky athlete Finn Hudson leading the Glee club.

From what I heard Cat say last night, sounds like the SYTYCD6 premiere will have repeats of favorite performances from past seasons. I hope they show tapes of those routines, rather than having the original dancers reprise them live... what will now be years later (and years older). But who knows?

The promos and excerpts from the upcoming season looks terrific (but then, you wouldn't expect them to package a promo with dogs, now would you?). But can Sex really be coming back AGAIN????

Calm down D. We need to wean ourselves off this season I do wonder about the wisdom of ramming another season in this quickly especially since the show will now be competing with the other networks' Fall schedules.

The sneak preview of Glee was very good. The show has real promise and a very talented cast. Lea Michelle is terrific and starred on Broadway in Spring Awakenings. The deal closer for me is Jane Lynch who is a great comedic actress. Her lines are hilarious.
post #3 of 833 Old 08-07-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sex thinks he can dance, of course he will be there. If this show makes it to season 60 I'm sure he will show up.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #4 of 833 Old 08-07-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Sex thinks he can dance, of course he will be there. If this show makes it to season 60 I'm sure he will show up.

Only if he uses a little blue pill......

Bobby 

post #5 of 833 Old 08-07-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Only if he uses a little blue pill......

That his mom will probably give him

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #6 of 833 Old 08-07-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I do wonder about the wisdom of ramming another season in this quickly especially since the show will now be competing with the other networks' Fall schedules.

So I guess there will be four consecutive nights of dancing between FOX and ABC. Will America get burned out on so much dancing, or will that just further increase interest.

Will we see Paula on either or both shows? She already made an appearance once on DWTS, much to FOX's dismay. They welcomed her before but now her presence brings further attention to AI, so they may not be so enthusiastic.

Will this show finally be in HD? It looks OK in widescreen SD, but it really paled in PQ when flipping between it and AGT.
post #7 of 833 Old 08-07-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I too think Sex will be back. One of the dancers in Season 5 who had a contract is going to Vegas in Season 6 due to his contract.
post #8 of 833 Old 08-07-2009, 12:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

So I guess there will be four consecutive nights of dancing between FOX and ABC. Will America get burned out on so much dancing, or will that just further increase interest.

I wonder how many people will watch both? I finally gave up on DWTS simply because of the time issue. That show burns up 3,4, sometimes 5 hours in a given week! Less would have been more; there's only so many sequins you can take. Even blowing through commercials and "fluff" with the DVR, it was just too much of a commitment.

SYTYCD consistently runs 3 hours every week. The performance show on Wednesdays never did drop under 2 hours the whole season, even as the contestants got whittled away. Between the two of them, that's the equivalent of watching up to half a dozen other shows, and there are too many quality dramas on the air these days. You might as well devote your entire TV watchin' week to dancing this fall if you plan to follow both.
post #9 of 833 Old 08-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

One of the promos featured Ryan Kasprzak (brother Evan was a top 4 finalist in season 5; Ryan made it to Vegas with him, but got cut) getting a ticket to Vegas after his audition. It would be interesting to see if Ryan will turn out to be as successful as Evan was; both look like they are pretty good showmen.

IIRC, it was mentioned on the show that last season would be the last time Sex would be able to compete (he should now be over the age limit by now, if not dangerously close), so I don't know if he will be back this fall.

Scott

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...
Hot Off the Press / Philips and Magnavox DVD Recorders

post #10 of 833 Old 08-07-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if we will get Dance Your Ass Off in HD? Now that is some high quality dancing.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #11 of 833 Old 08-07-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SowegaBowler View Post

One of the promos featured Ryan Kasprzak (brother Evan was a top 4 finalist in season 5; Ryan made it to Vegas with him, but got cut) getting a ticket to Vegas after his audition. It would be interesting to see if Ryan will turn out to be as successful as Evan was; both look like they are pretty good showmen.

IIRC, it was mentioned on the show that last season would be the last time Sex would be able to compete (he should now be over the age limit by now, if not dangerously close), so I don't know if he will be back this fall.

The guy Sex is long over the show's self imposed age limit (30) so that they couldn't use him even if he made it through. Yeah, like that's going to happen. I think he auditions just to annoy the heck out of Nigel.
post #12 of 833 Old 08-07-2009, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

One of the dancers in Season 5 who had a contract is going to Vegas in Season 6 due to his contract.

Is that Alex Wong, the ballet dancer who was under contract to the company in Florida? He looked like he could be a real force on the show before he had to bail.
post #13 of 833 Old 08-07-2009, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well now I'm really confused regarding the upcoming schedule for SYTYCD6.

According to the TV Guide page, FOX moved "up" the start date for SYTYCD and Glee to Sept.9. Other sources show it as Sept.2, but I think that's wrong.

But what's very strange is this additional scheduling tidbit:

Tuesday, Sept. 29
8/7 CT Hell's Kitchen (new episode, continuing from summer airing)
9/8 CT So You Think You Can Dance (time period premiere; two-hour performance shows start Oct. 27)

So does that mean SYTYCD is not on from the WEDNESDAY Sept.9 debut until it reappears on TUESDAY Sept.29 with the 6-city audition shows and Vegas week, which then run about a month until the 2-hour performance shows (top 20, I guess) finally begin on TUESDAY Oct.27?

So nothing after Sept.9 until Sept.29???
post #14 of 833 Old 08-08-2009, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Still not sure about start date, but Sept.9 is probably the correct one.

I'm speculating the show is being permanently moved to Fall (ending in mid-November) from Summer (ending in early August), rather than being worked into a two-seasons-a-year show like "Survivor". They'd have to do just what they did this year, with just one month separating the two seasons... and that's got to be extremely tiring on everybody. They can't start any season of SYTYCD as long as AI is on the air, from January to May.

Now I know Nigel left AI to "focus" on SYTYCD, but does that mean two seasons per year, or does it mean franchising the show out to 20 countries?

So my guess is no SYTYCD over the summer next year. Just once-a-year again, but as a permanent fall series.
und 3rd week in May.

However I know nothing for real. Pure speculation.
post #15 of 833 Old 08-08-2009, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 67
It might fail as a fall show. At that point would FOX return it to the summer?
post #16 of 833 Old 08-20-2009, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Still not sure about start date, but Sept.9 is probably the correct one.

DVR's set.

New season semi-begins on Wednesday Sept 2, with a one-hour "Top 15" highlight show featuring best performances from the first five seasons (according to Guide INFO).

I'm guessing these will be actual tapes of the actual performances, so set your recorders and/or computers if you want to capture these in pseudo-HD for posterity.

Actual Season 6 kicks off the following Wednesday Sept 9.
post #17 of 833 Old 08-21-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

TVGuide.com has the schedule listed as this:

Monday 8 -10 DWTS performance

Tuesday 8-10 SYTYCD performance

9-10 DWTS results

Wednesday 9-10 SYTYCD results

Normally there's only a one hour overlap but we all know that in the early weeks of DWTS and during the auditions of SYTYCD, the shows tend to go four hours per week so there may be more overlaps before they settle into their regular schedules. To lift a famous qoute "you'll have to pry my DVR out of my cold, dead hands"
post #18 of 833 Old 08-21-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought I read Dance and Stars are in the same studio. Is that correct? Or is one of them moving?

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #19 of 833 Old 08-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Tuesday, Sept. 29
9/8 CT So You Think You Can Dance (time period premiere; two-hour performance shows start Oct. 27)

So does that mean SYTYCD is not on from the WEDNESDAY Sept.9 debut until it reappears on TUESDAY Sept.29 with the 6-city audition shows and Vegas week, which then run about a month until the 2-hour performance shows (top 20, I guess) finally begin on TUESDAY Oct.27?

So nothing after Sept.9 until Sept.29???

1-hour audition shows from Sept 9 until Sept 29, most likely.
post #20 of 833 Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I thought I read Dance and Stars are in the same studio. Is that correct? Or is one of them moving?

So You Think You Can Dance will move to the adjacent studio which is also used for American Idol and is currently being used for America's Got Talent. Dancing With The Stars will be in the same studio that they have been using.
post #21 of 833 Old 08-23-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Jeez, what will be worth watching next summer besides the few episodes of The Closer that sneek through?

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
post #22 of 833 Old 08-23-2009, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacArrest View Post

1-hour audition shows from Sept 9 until Sept 29, most likely.

I'm still confused.

TV Guide schedule page (posted at the end of July) which talks about FOX moving up the premiere dates of SYTYCD6 and Glee still shows:

Tuesday, Sept. 29

Now according to the Complete Fall Season Programming Grid SYTYCD6 is scheduled for Tuesdays 8-10, and Wednesday's 8-9.

Thus the Sept 29 schedule of Hell's Kitchen at 8 and SYTYCD6 at 9 (obviously only 1 hour) plus the specific note that the 2-hour performance shows do not start until Oct. 27 (these must be Top 20 and forward) suggests that somehow only 1-hour SYTYCD6 shows (whatever they are, and whenever they're on) must run until Oct 27.

So, if the show has its official premiere on Wed. Sept 9 (after the Wed. Sept 2 "top 15 of all time" highlight show), and that's 1-hour, is it off the air following that Wed. Sept 9 airing until it re-appears on Tues. Sept 29 when it then runs one month with 1-hour audition shows (and is that 1-hour on Tuesday only or 1-hour on both Tuesday and Wednesday, for a month?) until Tues. Oct. 27 when it finally enters its normal two-night schedule of 8-10 on Tuesday and 8-9 on Wednesday?

Or, does it start on Wed. Sept 9 and somehow have something other than auditions until twice-weekly 1-hour audition shows formally start on Tues. Sept 29???

Still can't seem get clarification on any posted schedule of this mystery. I've found nothing showing the true complete schedule from Sept 2 through the end of the SYTYCD6 season.

Surely the full story will become known before too long. It's almost here.

RSF_LA... do you have the inside poop on these odd scheduling details?
post #23 of 833 Old 08-23-2009, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

In passing, during my "schedule research" I ran into this video of Jeanine talking about how she felt at the moment of victory to a TV Guide interviewer.

She looks GOOD!
post #24 of 833 Old 08-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DSperber: thanks for posting the Jeanine video link.

Now, there's someone who actually looks GORGEOUS in stiletto heels.

Scott

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...
Hot Off the Press / Philips and Magnavox DVD Recorders

post #25 of 833 Old 08-30-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I REALLY think you're obsessing a little too much about when and how the new season of SYTYCD starts and runs, DSperber. My sole concern is that Fox isn't foolish enough to create ANY scheduling conflicts with "Dancing With the Stars," which I'm almost CERTAIN, based on ratings I've read in Entertainment Weekly any weeks that show was running would soundly TRAMPLE SYTYCD in the ratings, possibly even stealing a large chunk of its audience mid-show (although it would be GREAT if SYTYCD started an hour earlier and the audience stuck with IT). Best of all, however, is if Fox actually shows SOME BRAINS FOR A CHANGE -- A VERY RARE CHANGE, I'd have to say, and makes sure to NEVER schedule SYTYCD against DWTS.

Of course with the dual DVRs I'll be able to record one and watch the other, either way, but I REALLY don't want to see moving to the fall DOOM this show. I want it to make it the true success it should be.

Oh, and thanks for starting this thread, DSperber -- even if you maybe DID start a bit soon -- and even more thanks for posting ABOUT it on the Season 5 thread, finally, so we would KNOW about it, lol.
Jeff

Life is the only constant...

post #26 of 833 Old 08-31-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
^^^ I've never understood why the networks insist on these head-to-head matchups. None of them have enough good material to fill a complete schedule, so why not avoid having to fight for the audience and schedule against weaker shows.

For instance, if I was Fox, I'd run SYTYCD on a different days from DWTS and I'd run some extremely male oriented syndicated repeats (e.g. American Chopper) against DWTS.
post #27 of 833 Old 08-31-2009, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Ran across these pro photos of Cat. The first looks fairly recent and the second appears to be from a time far far ago.

As we look forward to the upcoming season, let's be reminded one more time why she purportedly gets $10+ million to "front" SYTYCD.

Best looking presenter on TV, but her straight-on look into the camera in the second shot really shows her off-kilter nose perfectly. Doesn't bother me one bit!

post #28 of 833 Old 09-01-2009, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, DS, those pictures of Cat -- ESPECIALLY the second REALLY got ME purring -- and ready to lick some fur!

post #29 of 833 Old 09-02-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent highlights show tonight, but probably like a lot of you, I was a bit let down by what Nigel picked as his all-time favorite routine. I know we all talked the subject TO DEATH in the Season Five forum, already, so I won't belabor the point except to say that while the dance was very nice, if you take away the breast cancer connection, it was nowhere near the best routine even of Season Five, much less of the entire series.

By the way, after seeing Benji and Heidi's Black Mambo routine, I REALLY SEE what some of you have been talking about with those two... That was INCREDIBLE, and I really see why Benji won, and she came close to winning Season 2. His moves in that dance were so precise and so fast you almost needed slow-motion to keep up with them!

I can't wait to see who and what they come up with for Season Six!
Jeff

post #30 of 833 Old 09-03-2009, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Last night's episode was a waste. No Ramalama!!!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page