"The Daily Show" on Comedy Central HD - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 122 Old 08-13-2009, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So...I attended this evening's (08/13) taping of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and asked one of the ushers when the show will be going HD. Now, I have no idea whether this person is truly in the know, but to my astonishment she responded by saying, "...in a few weeks." I asked again and she repeated the same answer with some certainty. Take it with a grain of salt, if you will, but I thought I'd pass it along.
I can tell you, however, that the studio and set are pretty rudimentary, so it's either going to take a lot of work, or they'll have to move. The show is going on hiatus after next week until after Labor Day, so we'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 Old 08-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Another hiatus? They just got back from 4th of July break.
post #3 of 122 Old 08-14-2009, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

When Comedy Central HD launched, I'm pretty sure the press release mentioned that both The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report would transition to HD for the Fall 2009 season.
post #4 of 122 Old 08-14-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
2010 was the original plan. Don't know if that's changed.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...l_Going_HD.php

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #5 of 122 Old 08-14-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

2010 was the original plan. Don't know if that's changed.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...l_Going_HD.php

I was just going to post that. Though, it should be noted that this is a 3rd person quote and not a direct one. Really all that's been said is that it's going to happen "in the future" and 2010 was trotted out there as a safe date.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll happen in September. I imagine both Jon and Colbert are going to pull some amusing stunts to highlight going to HD.
post #6 of 122 Old 08-14-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 116
My mother would just love The Daily Show with Jon Stewart broadcasted in HD.
post #7 of 122 Old 08-19-2009, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Stewart mentioned tonight that the hiatus starting next week will last for three weeks. He did not mention HD though.
post #8 of 122 Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Who knows? As per my original post, this report came from a studio usher, so take it with a grain of salt. However, below is an e-mail address of an executive at Comedy Central a bit closer to the action. Let us know if she responds.

michele.ganeless@comedycentral.com
post #9 of 122 Old 08-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

I wouldn't expect Stewart to announce it in advance. The last time they made a major change in the set it came as a surprise after a hiatus. So what the usher said is plausible.

I doubt you will get anything official from Comedy Central until a few days before it happens. If they wanted us to know, they would have put out a press release.
post #10 of 122 Old 11-18-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

During the interview segment on The Colbert Report last night, Stephen made a quip about "upgrading to HD" when discussing changing his set with architecture critic Paul Goldberger.
post #11 of 122 Old 11-20-2009, 11:57 AM

NEP Broadcasting chooses Cobalt Digital for Daily Show,' Colbert Report' HD transition

http://broadcastengineering.com/prod...ansition-1117/

NEP Broadcasting has selected the Cobalt Digital line of terminal gear for the HD transition of the Colbert Report and Daily Show studios.

We are frame-synching, color-correcting, embedding and de-embedding dozens of signals, said George Hoover, CTO of NEP Broadcasting. The Cobalt openGear products, used with the DashBoard control and monitoring software and Cobalt OGCP-9000 remote-control panels, will enable NEP Broadcasting to control all video- and audio-processing under a common scheme, he added.

When the Cobalt equipment was installed, the studio was still shooting in SD. The downconverters were serving as distribution amplifiers, and the Cobalt 9033 A-to-D cards in the videotape room were taking SD component output from DVD players and tape decks and feeding the switcher in SD.

As the cameras switch over to HD, Cobalt 9821 downconverters will allow the studios to monitor their HD camera returns on SD monitors. For the main program out, the Cobalt 9822 downconverters provide the highest possible downconversion quality.
post #12 of 122 Old 11-20-2009, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsharp View Post

NEP Broadcasting chooses Cobalt Digital for Daily Show,' Colbert Report' HD transition

http://broadcastengineering.com/prod...ansition-1117/

NEP Broadcasting has selected the Cobalt Digital line of terminal gear for the HD transition of the Colbert Report and Daily Show studios.

We are frame-synching, color-correcting, embedding and de-embedding dozens of signals, said George Hoover, CTO of NEP Broadcasting. The Cobalt openGear products, used with the DashBoard control and monitoring software and Cobalt OGCP-9000 remote-control panels, will enable NEP Broadcasting to control all video- and audio-processing under a common scheme, he added.

When the Cobalt equipment was installed, the studio was still shooting in SD. The downconverters were serving as distribution amplifiers, and the Cobalt 9033 A-to-D cards in the videotape room were taking SD component output from DVD players and tape decks and feeding the switcher in SD.

As the cameras switch over to HD, Cobalt 9821 downconverters will allow the studios to monitor their HD camera returns on SD monitors. For the main program out, the Cobalt 9822 downconverters provide the highest possible downconversion quality.

Cool. The first real indication that this is happening. The only thing they left out is the expected launch date.
post #13 of 122 Old 12-01-2009, 09:59 PM

There was another tip-off about the HD transition in tonight's show. When they were showing clips about Dubai, they used a 16:9 recorded clip from CNBC HD and they did the same for some clips from NBC News and Fox News. I assume they're building up their vault of news coverage in HD.
post #14 of 122 Old 12-01-2009, 10:52 PM

I also noticed this week that when they show video packages there are very thin stylized borders on the left and right. Those aren't present in studio shots. This looks exactly like network HD news shows if you've ever seen the center-cut version. A couple vertical lines of the pillarbars for 4:3 video always ends up being visible in the center-cut. That makes me wonder if they're already producing 16:9 internally.
post #15 of 122 Old 12-02-2009, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Noise View Post

There was another tip-off about the HD transition in tonight's show. When they were showing clips about Dubai, they used a 16:9 recorded clip from CNBC HD and they did the same for some clips from NBC News and Fox News. I assume they're building up their vault of news coverage in HD.

Access Hollywood has been doing this for close to a year now, if not longer. I wouldn't hold my breath.
post #16 of 122 Old 12-08-2009, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

They must be getting closer. Footage from Fox News is center cut instead of letterbox.

Maybe it really will be HD when they come back in the beginning of January.
post #17 of 122 Old 12-08-2009, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm betting they are filming and producing the episodes in HD now to work the kinks out of the system, but won't switch to HD until they do the necessary set changes to accommodate widescreen and extra detail.
post #18 of 122 Old 12-08-2009, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I just decided to A/B the Comedy Central SD and Comedy Central HD on the daily show reshowing.

The aspect ratios of the two are VERY visibly different and it's affecting the framing. Jon looks fatter on the SD channel and (at least to me) he looks correct on the HD channel. There is more picture information on the HD channel. I tested this both using 1080i output for both SD and HD and also with 480i output for SD, the results were the same no matter the resolution I set my box to.

I never did the comparison before, so I don't know if this is more of the same, or something recent.
post #19 of 122 Old 12-09-2009, 07:14 AM

Click for larger

Not HD, 16:9 is from letterboxed web video in 4:3 frame, 4:3 is from a native res cap re-encoded.
Colbert mentioned in passing that his set is changing with an upcoming HD transition and they have historically done set changes during the holiday break.

I would love to know how they are doing this change considering their former workflow (according to an interview one of their people did, look it up) involved a bunch of SD TiVo units running all the time and then just putting what they find interesting to tape for playback during the show. Obviously that has changed.

Edit: Widescreen / 4:3 (USA only, WS is uncensored)
post #20 of 122 Old 12-09-2009, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Colbert has had the same set since the show started, and he's been on over four years now. He's due.

I think Jon's set changes will be exceedingly minor. In fact, I'm pretty sure they've already refreshed the graphics for HD. They look almost identical, but you can tell they're different. I'm sure the set changes will be equally subtle.
post #21 of 122 Old 12-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

I hope it happens soon, the sd version is ugly!
post #22 of 122 Old 12-10-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

Colbert has had the same set since the show started, and he's been on over four years now. He's due.

From Colbert himself: New set in January
post #23 of 122 Old 12-10-2009, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I noticed when watching Wed nights episode that the news clips that they used look like they came from the hd channel and were clearly cropped. I believe that the clips were used in the hole cash for caulk bit. one came from fox news and part of the logo on the side was cropped off

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #24 of 122 Old 12-14-2009, 10:39 PM

Some of the graphics were redone on Thursday's episode and there were a couple of new set elements. HD is coming, I tells ya.
post #25 of 122 Old 12-14-2009, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Noise View Post

Some of the graphics were redone on Thursday's episode and there were a couple of new set elements. HD is coming, I tells ya.

Yeah, I would say it's pretty much set in stone that this Wednesday will be the last new SD episode of The Daily Show (Thursday is a repeat.)
post #26 of 122 Old 12-17-2009, 12:16 AM

Yes..so excited!

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/...tarting-jan-4/

'Daily Show', 'Colbert Report' to be broadcast in HD starting Jan. 4
by Dan Snierson
Categories: News, Television

Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert: Coming crisper to a TV screen near you. EW.com has learned that Comedy Central will broadcast The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report in high definition starting Monday, Jan. 4 at 11:00 p.m. and 11:30 p.m., respectively.
post #27 of 122 Old 12-17-2009, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdoll View Post

Yes..so excited!

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/...tarting-jan-4/

'Daily Show', 'Colbert Report' to be broadcast in HD starting Jan. 4
by Dan Snierson
Categories: News, Television

Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert: Coming crisper to a TV screen near you. EW.com has learned that Comedy Central will broadcast The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report in high definition starting Monday, Jan. 4 at 11:00 p.m. and 11:30 p.m., respectively.

Good to here looks like the person who guessed on the other thread that the two shows would go HD in Jan 2010 was right.

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #28 of 122 Old 12-17-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Daily Show' and Colbert Report' Going HD In Jan. 2010

Signature shows join roster of other Comedy Central shows in hi-def

By Alex Weprin -- Broadcasting & Cable, 12/17/2009 4:09:37 PM

Two of Comedy Central's signature shows are finally making the jump to high definition. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report will flip the HD switch Monday, Jan. 4 2010.

Since announcing the channel would be going HD last January, Comedy had said it would be up-converting The Daily Show and Colbert Report until they could go fully native.

The holdup was the long process updating the control rooms, while continuing to put on a four times a week program.

Shows such as South Park and The Sarah Silverman Program went HD at the network's high-def launch, with most new Comedy Central shows debuting HD capable.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...n_Jan_2010.php

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #29 of 122 Old 12-18-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Perfect! TWC San Diego just added Comedy Central HD to its lineup today!
post #30 of 122 Old 12-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Are the HD shows on Comedy Central shown in higher definition ONLINE? No, I'm not expecting full HD online from anybody, but something higher resolution for the DS and CR online will be nice, since the shows will be in HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page