Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 311 Old 02-03-2010, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

more like Wayne... (since this is an SNL thread...)

Ah yes, good call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 311 Old 02-03-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

I assume you're talking about the "making me sing" skit. And I agree, she's basically just doing the same character now over and over and over.

I think this is a problem with the SNL writers: if they want their stuff to get on the air, they have to write for the players. If a player is good at something, they concentrate on writing more stuff for that player instead of trying to come up with something original that will probably not get on the air because they don't know how to cast it.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #93 of 311 Old 02-03-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

Hamm now firmly belongs in the pantheon of great SNL host who make the show worth watching (along with Timberlake, Baldwin, and Walken).

It was one of the best episode in last few year. Sergio video was AWESOME! Hamm and Buble was great too. Buble did great in that skit.

Only bad skit was Kristen Whig doing an annying woman bit, YET AGAIN (how many different skits with the EXACT SAME character do they need to have???).

The "Mad Man" of late night was pretty funny.
post #94 of 311 Old 02-05-2010, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Finally got around to finishing this ep and thought the Hamm and Buble skit was one of the funniest of the season. My wife didnt know much about Buble and is now enthralled with him, and she knew Hamm and loved him, but now thinks of him as creepy for what he was doing to poor little Buble. Women are great.
post #95 of 311 Old 02-05-2010, 09:12 AM

I know a lot of people like dissing SNL by saying "it USED to be great back ", but I'm gonna say that SNL has improved quite a bit in the past couple of years. For a few years after Will Ferrell left, they seemed to be circling the drain, but now each show continues to keep me watching. That wasn't the case 4-5 years ago. They were re-using pre-taped skits pretty often then. I must have seen "oops i pooped my pants" at least 5 times in separate "live" shows, and "Bathroom Monkey" at least 2 or 3 times. Sure, the current cast still have some lame recurring skits (fred armisen reading newspaper headlines, kristin wiig's annoying/over-the-top friend), but for the most part they keep it fresh.
post #96 of 311 Old 02-07-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Amid what was generally a lackluster effort by Ashton Kutcher, was this BRILLIANT bit of Rahm Emanuel by Samberg. This must become a regular recurring segment. Genius!

http://www.hulu.com/collections/381/126490
post #97 of 311 Old 02-07-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuthermonkey View Post

They were re-using pre-taped skits pretty often then. I must have seen "oops i pooped my pants" at least 5 times in separate "live" shows, and "Bathroom Monkey" at least 2 or 3 times.

They're still doing that a little bit. The commercials are the most often regurgitated skits.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #98 of 311 Old 02-07-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Amid what was generally a lackluster effort by Ashton Kutcher, was this BRILLIANT bit of Rahm Emanuel by Samberg.

Yeah, that was gold. I love the quick Mel Gibson comment thrown in at the end for good measure.
post #99 of 311 Old 02-07-2010, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:

Amid what was generally a lackluster effort by Ashton Kutcher, was this BRILLIANT bit of Rahm Emanuel by Samberg. This must become a regular recurring segment. Genius!

http://www.hulu.com/collections/381/126490

Ashton Kutcher was awful. Frickin awful beyond words. But you're right, the Rahm Emanual character has to come back. Can't get enough of that. His tirade against the Dems and Palin were both spot on and hilarious.
post #100 of 311 Old 02-08-2010, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if it's because my expectations are really low or if I'm just really reaching for something to laugh at, but the "What is Burn Notice" game show was incredibly hilarious! I was cracking up. Maybe that had something to do with the fact that I've never seen Burn Notice even though I do know it's highly rated...

post #101 of 311 Old 02-08-2010, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I enjoyed this past week's episode.
post #102 of 311 Old 02-08-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I don't know if it's because my expectations are really low or if I'm just really reaching for something to laugh at, but the "What is Burn Notice" game show was incredibly hilarious! I was cracking up. Maybe that had something to do with the fact that I've never seen Burn Notice even though I do know it's highly rated...

exact same response. everyone watching the game at our house
could not provide any information about burn notice.
post #103 of 311 Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
From Wikipedia:

Quote:

The title refers to the burn notices issued by intelligence agencies to discredit or announce the dismissal of agents or sources who are considered to have become unreliable. When a spy is burned, they are wiped off the grid, without access to cash or influence. According to the narration during the opening credits, the burned spy has no prior work history, no money; in essence, no identity. The television series is a first-person narrative (including frequent voice-overs providing nuggets of exposition) from the viewpoint of covert-operations agent Michael Westen, played by Jeffrey Donovan.

After fleeing a Nigerian operation blown apart by the sudden and unexplained non-cooperation of his U.S. contact, Westen finds himself in his hometown of Miami, Florida, attended to by his ex-girlfriend, Fiona Glenanne, but abandoned by all his normal intelligence contacts, under continuous surveillance with his personal assets frozen. Extraordinary efforts to reach his U.S. government handler eventually yield only a grudging admission that someone powerful wants him "on ice" in Miami; if he leaves the city he will be hunted down and taken into custody, whereas by staying there he can remain relatively free. Consumed by the desire to find out why he has been burned, and by whom, Westen goes to work as an unlicensed private investigator/spy/soldier of fortune for anyone in town who can pay him any money in order to fund his personal investigation into his own situation as a blacklisted agent. Throughout the series Westen battles and outwits an array of mobsters, con artists, contract killers, professional thieves, drug traffickers, sex traffickers, deadbeat dads, arms dealers, kidnappers and war criminals. The series makes frequent use of jury rigging, with the characters improvising devices to do the job of more expensive, harder-to-obtain items.

(...The Less You Care)

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #104 of 311 Old 02-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Funniest bit for me was the one with Kutcher as the pool boy at the reading of the old lady's will. That had me in stitches!
post #105 of 311 Old 03-06-2010, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Enjoying Zach Galifianakis as tonight's host.
A lil drunk, though
post #106 of 311 Old 03-06-2010, 09:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Pity they didn't have him write everything because Zach is funnier, smarter and far more creative than SNL usually is.

post #107 of 311 Old 03-06-2010, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Right.
post #108 of 311 Old 03-08-2010, 01:00 AM

wow, this guy is too funny!

no wonder hangover was so legendary, his performance
had to be a big part of it.

haven't seen a guest host add so much to an snl show in a long,
long time. it also appeared he wrote or co-wrote some of the scripts

wonder if he would be as good if they brought him back again.?
post #109 of 311 Old 03-08-2010, 02:07 AM

On funnyordie.com Zach's "Between Two Ferns" are the funniest things I've seen in a while.
post #110 of 311 Old 03-08-2010, 05:59 AM

Too funny... he shaved his beard for the last sketch and then puts on a fake beard to say thank you and goodnight!
post #111 of 311 Old 03-08-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Funniest monologue in years (though Charles Barkley's was pretty funny for someone who is not a comedian per se); though the stupid kissy-family skit that aired so early probably drove thousands to bed. Somehow they delayed the funniest skit- the beauty pageant talk show- until 12:54. That was so demented it even got Kristen to break character, something she never ever does. And Vampire Weekend was good too.

CW Hinkle
post #112 of 311 Old 03-08-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I liked that they carried over a gag from a digital short to a skit again (similar to how they did Closet Organizer and then the bar scene a few weeks ago). The Zach at different TV shows bit was hilarious, and then he shows up at the Today Show skit. I cracked up when he had "The Situation Room" written in French on his Tshirt.

post #113 of 311 Old 03-08-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think they're selecting the safest sketches to go first. The kissy family had been done before in one form or another so they figured that was a safe bet.

Same thing happened last week. The "Smashmouth is in my closet!" sketch was great and that was past 12:30AM. I guess some of the writing staff thought it was too off the wall and it just barely made the cut.

post #114 of 311 Old 03-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

It always surprises me how subjective humor is. Both my wife and I thought this one of the worst SNL episodes in years.
post #115 of 311 Old 03-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ressom View Post

Too funny... he shaved his beard for the last sketch and then puts on a fake beard to say thank you and goodnight!

Thank you! I wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy when I saw that.

Kudos to Zach for making the sacrifice for his SNL debut. I was surprised how few people in the audience noticed: I thought it would've received a bigger reaction.
post #116 of 311 Old 03-08-2010, 01:13 PM

I wondering how his beard was back at the end, that was a pretty good fake beard.
post #117 of 311 Old 03-08-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I think they're selecting the safest sketches to go first. The kissy family had been done before in one form or another so they figured that was a safe bet.

I get what you're saying, but the kissy family is still a stupid sketch and as a previous poster pointed out it could be offensive/gross to some. I know I didn't get a laugh out of it. As you mention, Smash Mouth in my Closet was laugh out loud hilarious!

Normally, I'd agree with you that safe, funny sketches belong at the beginning and riskier stuff at the end, but that only applies when the safe sketch is actually funny.

post #118 of 311 Old 03-08-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the monologue was excellent for a change but the rest of the show was fairly dead. I do still get a kick out of "What up with dat?" but it's it's almost done. Sudakis kept getting getting a lot of noise from the audience whenever he appeared as the 80s break dancer guy in that.

XBL: mmjp08 PSN: mikeny1
post #119 of 311 Old 03-08-2010, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDK006 View Post

It always surprises me how subjective humor is. Both my wife and I thought this one of the worst SNL episodes in years.

Aside from the monologue, the digital short and the today sketch, my girlfriend and I would agree with you. A very unfunny episode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #120 of 311 Old 03-08-2010, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Normally, I'd agree with you that safe, funny sketches belong at the beginning and riskier stuff at the end, but that only applies when the safe sketch is actually funny.

I agree with you, but from what I've read the SNL production process has gotten so bureaucratic and conservative that they put the simplest (i.e. safest) sketches on before midnight and it's a coin toss what will get on the air after Weekend Update. If any sketch was a hit last week, they'll put another version of the sketch on at the beginning of the show next week.

It's been like this for long long time. The first Wayne's World sketch was the very last sketch of the show and stayed past midnight for months and was occasionally cut. So many people hated it it's a miracle it didn't get dropped permanently. It wasn't and was later turned into two successful films!

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page