'Saturday Night Live' 2009-2010 on NBC HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 311 Old 09-04-2009, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Well, this is certainly surprising news just a few weeks before the start of the new Fall season.

First, the other day there was word that two new female cast members had been hired.

Today there is word that both Casey Wilson and Michaela Watkins have been let go! Apparently the two new hires were actually to replace the two fired females.

Quite frankly, I never got it with Casey Wilson. Either she really wasn't very funny, or she was given awful stuff to say, but she never was amusing as far as I was concerned.

However I thought Michaela Watkins was terrific! Her impersonations were excellent, and I felt she was the new Maya Rudolph.

Also, today's item said that Darrell Hammond is negotiating for some occasional appearances, rather than completely vanishing as seemed to be the story at last May's finale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 311 Old 09-04-2009, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I admit, not a fan of Wilson on the show, but after watching that link to her Funny or Die bit, I think it has more to do with the material she was given, because that Funny or Die thing was great. The only memorable bit of hers from SNL that I can remember was her spot on impression of Jennifer Aniston. She's definitely a beautiful woman, and that will be missed.

Michaela didn't have much time to establish herself, but I did enjoy in an odd way her "bitch please" annoying character, and her impression of Arianna Huffington was amazingly good.

I don't know much about the new girls, except for the one that starred in Jimmy Fallon's reality show this summer. You can check her out on his website. Look for the show called 7th Floor West, which was great. She didn't stand out as being all that funny in it, though.
post #3 of 311 Old 09-04-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Jimmy Fallon's reality show?

He's hitting the skids already?
post #4 of 311 Old 09-04-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

I admit, not a fan of Wilson on the show, but after watching that link to her Funny or Die bit, I think it has more to do with the material she was given, because that Funny or Die thing was great. The only memorable bit of hers from SNL that I can remember was her spot on impression of Jennifer Aniston. She's definitely a beautiful woman, and that will be missed.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought Casey Wilson was cute!! I'll miss her too and I don't think she was given any good material. Everyone should check out the Funny or Die video, if for nothing else to see that she isn't as fat as people think.

Speaking of SNL in general, over the summer I watched a few MAD TV repeats and they all seemed funnier than SNL eps this season (except when Timberlake hosts, but Timberlake can't host every week).
post #5 of 311 Old 09-04-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Jimmy Fallon's reality show?

He's hitting the skids already?

It was a summertime reality show within the show. Aired every Monday.
post #6 of 311 Old 10-04-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I thought last night's show was one of the very best in many seasons. Every sketch was a winner.

Ryan Reynolds turns out to be a terrific comedian.

I love Fred Armisen's "porcelain fountains" sales parody, and Scarlett's reprise of her previous role in that skit was just as hilarious this time as it was last time. Ryan's crazy son-in-law who does the installations was a riot.

Seth Myers may be the best Weekend Update writer/deliverer they've had. That stuff is just flat-out laugh-out-loud funny.

The "Celebrity Family Feud" hit on the John and Mackenzie Phillips story was terrific. I think rubber-faced Bill Heder may be the best impressionist they've ever had (I love his Keith Morrison and Al Pacino and the Italian TV interviewer and the list goes on and on). Jason Sudekis as Richard Dawson was also excellent. Abby Elliott (as Marie Osmond) was surprisingly disappointing.

"So you committed a crime... and you think you can dance" was inspired. The crazy inmates each demonstrating their own unique psychotic behaviors were hysterical, especially Will Forte who kept running after his partner because he wanted to touch her, and Fred Armisen who kept dancing toward the exit door to try and escape. Ryan Reynolds as the Australian dancing coach in filmed rehearsal segments was hilarious.

It goes on and on... I thought each sketch was a winner. This was a superb night.

And remarkably, I actually watched both of the musical numbers... something I NEVER do. Usually it's an instant FF, to get to Weekend Update.

In fact, I think the SECOND musical solo number by Lady GaGa might be the most shockingly and surprisingly great musical performance I've seen on the show! She was FANTASTIC... out of character, playing the piano like a real pro, singing with a real voice (that was excellent), looking into the camera and relating to the audience... I mean this was just superb! Absolutely a total surprise. Completely unexpected. Obviously the Lady GaGa character is an act.

And then we had the surprise cameo of Madonna... singing a comedy duet with Lady GaGa (both dressed skimpily and both looking terrific... with GaGa's g-string totally visible under her rather sheer stretch-shorts) followed by a cat fight on the couch.

Even the SNL Digital Short with Andy Samberg singing rap while they cut to various characters acting out the words he was singing in scenes was very amusing.

Darrell Hammond continues to appear (this time as an excellent Ahnold), despite the fact that I thought he'd retired. Again, very funny stuff.

All in all, EVERYTHING WAS A HIT! Not one loser, and not one FF. I wanted to see and hear everything, and I even rewound on some of the super-funny stuff just to hear it again.

Funniest bit of the night for me was the Weekend Update interview with smiling-faced silent Mahmoud Ahmadiniejad (Fred Armisen) who speaks no English and his very hip and wise-acre street-smart English-speaking Iranian wife (Nasim Pedrad) who mocks her husband. She was fantastic, describing how she can say anything to him in English because he understand nothing. Seth couldn't believe she could get away with it. This is the first actual bit they've starred her in and she REALLY SHINED. When she called out the NY cab driver who cut off their limousine, screaming at him that "your a** has a hole in it!" I lost it.

So, if you missed it, make a mental note to catch it when they repeat it in just a few weeks (if their past seasons' first two months show schedules hold true). This one was a keeper.
post #7 of 311 Old 10-04-2009, 12:52 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think you liked it.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #8 of 311 Old 10-04-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just finished watching it and agreed it was a good episode (but isn't there another SNL thread around here?)

The Digital short was pretty good too. Throw it on the ground! LOL.

I also liked the Dog Food commercial.."Garbage brand dog food...Because it's just a dog...not a person." Of course, I am not a dog person, so I found it funny.
post #9 of 311 Old 10-04-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAF View Post

I think you liked it.

Sounds more like he's selling it.
post #10 of 311 Old 10-04-2009, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Just finished watching it and agreed it was a good episode (but isn't there another SNL thread around here?)

That deals with Jenny Slate's dropping an f-bomb last week in her debut skit appearance.

This thread is the "normal" one I started before the current season began, for this 2009-2010 season. Seemed like the right one to use for ongoing comments about this season.
post #11 of 311 Old 10-04-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

If you didn't care for it, comment as such.

I enjoyed it muchly, and that's why I opined as I did.
post #12 of 311 Old 10-04-2009, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The Charles Barkley impersonation was painful to watch. Very unfunny. I thought the only decent sketch was the so you think you can dance bit. Lady GaGa was interesting, although I think she is a bit overrated.

post #13 of 311 Old 10-04-2009, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Haha, kind of. It almost sounds like a post from Lorne Michaels. To each his own.

post #14 of 311 Old 10-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Just as the show came on my local NBC affiliate turned into a pixellated mess with audio dropouts as well; completely unwatchable through the cable box. I tried watching it on my DVR and the show was just fine . Caught Reynolds' opening monologue and the Garbage dog food commercial, then I fell asleep (should have just recorded it ). Woke up during Deep House Dish and didn't expect Madonna to be there and looking better than has been seen in a long time. Enjoyed the cat fight. I caught a part of Lady Gaga's first performance, didn't like the song but the second performance was great. Good piano playing and vocals and enjoyed an alternate interpretation of Poker Face. Can't believe I missed Scarlett... There is hulu though...

post #15 of 311 Old 10-04-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The opening Obama skit was shockingly bold for SNL.

I also enjoyed the Lady Gaga performances. She's just so "out there" as a performer, it's just interesting to watch. It's amazing how far out on a ledge she goes, yet she sells it like a pro like it is nothing that unusual.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #16 of 311 Old 10-04-2009, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post

The Charles Barkley impersonation was painful to watch. Very unfunny.

Ok, something's got to contribute to the "under" for the average of the night. This one was definitely not the highlight.

Quote:
I thought the only decent sketch was the so you think you can dance bit.

Come on... you didn't laugh at the Mrs. Ahmadiniejad character and her bizarre take on English slang and idiom?

Quote:
Lady GaGa was interesting, although I think she is a bit overrated.

Except for her "coming out" on last year's Miss Universe contest with a fantastically choreographed "Just Dance", and a reprise of the same song and dance on the finale of "So You Think You Can Dance", I would agree with you. This is all just a bit to out there for my tastes.

Which is why I was totally prepared to FF during both of her two musical numbers as I just about always do. I watched the first one, mostly for the costumes and dancing... surprised that I held off the FF button until 2/3 through it.

But that second number was a total surprise. I actually LIKED it! A very original performance, and it was very amusing to see her try and deal live with the sort of costume malfunction with that multi-ring gyroscope she was wearing, when she tried to get over to the piano to sit down and play. That was very entertaining, and human.

I was unprepared for her piano skills, and when she took her sunglasses off and looked at the camera and sang totally solo what honestly could almost have been considered for her near-a-capella in its overall effect (i.e. without any backup instruments or vocals), well I found myself watching and listening to the entire number.

Unexpected... which is why it was so good (IMHO).
post #17 of 311 Old 10-04-2009, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

The opening Obama skit was shockingly bold for SNL.

Indeed... but well deserved, I'm afraid.

Unfortunately, it was meant to be a comedy sketch and they kind of cut it short. But I could have given them a few more biggies to put on the list if it was "Hardball".

Still, it was an amusing bit.
post #18 of 311 Old 10-04-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

That deals with Jenny Slate's dropping an f-bomb last week in her debut skit appearance.

Speaking of which I'm pretty sure Lady Gaga got a "sh-t" past the censors in her second performance. Is SNL not on delay anymore? I can understand them missing the one last week because of the context, but usually they're on top of things with lyrics.

But I agree with the praise on her performance. The thing I enjoy about her is that every time she performs live on tv she changes it up a little. I must've seen her perform "Poker Face" a dozen times and each time it's a little different. I also like that she can poke fun at herself. The skit with Andy Samberg in the bubble outfit was hilarious.
post #19 of 311 Old 10-04-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anifan View Post

Speaking of which I'm pretty sure Lady Gaga got a "sh-t" past the censors in her second performance. Is SNL not on delay anymore? I can understand them missing the one last week because of the context, but usually they're on top of things with lyrics.

But I agree with the praise on her performance. The thing I enjoy about her is that every time she performs live on tv she changes it up a little. I must've seen her perform "Poker Face" a dozen times and each time it's a little different. I also like that she can poke fun at herself. The skit with Andy Samberg in the bubble outfit was hilarious.

Yeah I heard the S-bomb dropped here as well. You'd have thought after last week's fiasco the censors would have regrouped to be on their toes for the rest of the season, and then something like this happens. Oh well.

I agree with most others who've commented about Lady GaGa's performance. I really don't care for her at all and having to hear that poker face song all summer made me want to inflict harm upon her. But her performance was outstanding. The singing, dancing, guitar, costumes, I couldn't believe that I was as interested/impressed with her performance as I was.

As for the rest of the show itself, I didn't find much of it too funny. I like Reynolds but didn't find him funny at all, and none of the sketches really amused me either. Weekend Update was funny, minus the Ahmadinejad skit.

I have to say I'm surprised so many people found the episode as funny as they did, as I usually find myself defending SNL to most of my peers as still be one of the funnier shows on TV. Still have high expectations for this cast and think the rest of the season will churn out better material.
post #20 of 311 Old 10-04-2009, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I heard the s*** bomb too, but couldn't care less. The show's on at 11:30, who gives a ****.

As for the episode, I enjoyed it a lot. Notably when Richard Dawson caught on to what was going on and said "Oh I get it now. Yeah, this show's over." Scarlet reprising her 'and this one, or that one, and this one' bit was hilarious. I don't like Lady Gaga, but she was entertaining and it was nice that she let herself be used throughout the show. For me the weakest part of the night was the part of the show that is usually the strongest - Weekend Update. I loved the Iran bit, but the WU jokes weren't so hot. And Charles Barkley was terrible. I get that it was just supposed to be an absurdist bit of comedy, but it didn't make me laugh.
post #21 of 311 Old 10-05-2009, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I love Fred Armisen's "porcelain fountains" sales parody, and Scarlett's reprise of her previous role in that skit was just as hilarious this time as it was last time.

Just to set the record straight...

This sketch, with Armisen's heavy NY accented character doing a TV ad to sell some ridiculous product (harkens back to days of Cal Worthington in LA selling cars via ubiquitous TV ads, and Johnny Carson's long-running spoof on same with Carol Wayne as the sidekick girl) looked very familiar, and I thought it was just another rendition. And I thought Scarlett had played the same role in at least one previous occurrence.

Well a little research corrects my memory. Scarlett had previously joined Fred in skits shilling for marble columns and chandeliers when she hosted the program. So "porcelain fountains" is a new incarnation, of what I consider a very funny bit. And her performance in it is just outstanding.

One more factoid that I missed (since I FF'd through the opening credits) is that long-time cast member Darrell Hammond’s name no longer appeared in the show’s opening credits.

I was sure he was said to be leaving the show, especially after last season's finale, but he's been in the first two episodes of this season and has also been on the Thursday night WU shows. But apparently there's been no "official" announcement about Hammond leaving the program, although being dropped from the credits is about official as it gets.
post #22 of 311 Old 10-05-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

For me the weakest part of the night was the part of the show that is usually the strongest - Weekend Update. I loved the Iran bit, but the WU jokes weren't so hot. And Charles Barkley was terrible. I get that it was just supposed to be an absurdist bit of comedy, but it didn't make me laugh.

Having a Thursday prime time edition of Weekend Update probably means that the Saturday installment won't be as good.

I liked the Barkley skit; I think this is one of Kenan's best characters. To each his own.
post #23 of 311 Old 10-08-2009, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I think Gaga stole the show, IMO, she always goes over the top on each performance, and always different, she plays a mean piano and does some good vocals. I'm also one of those that skips musical bits on SNL, season premier I skipped U2, I was going to skip Gaga also but I wanted to see what crazy thing she will do, and stood late to watch her second performance, I was hooked. Big surprise that Madonna showed up! I thought at first she was one of the show's actresses but no!

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #24 of 311 Old 10-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

I liked the digital short "On the Ground." Andy S. with all his costumes and facial expressions and the absurdity of his angry rap and not being part of "the system" just made me laugh.

Also got a chuckle out of the Norwegian actors skit. Reminded me a little of the old Wild and Crazy Guys with the inappropriate use of English and accents.
post #25 of 311 Old 10-08-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo21 View Post

Also got a chuckle out of the Norwegian actors skit. Reminded me a little of the old Wild and Crazy Guys with the inappropriate use of English and accents.

To me, nothing similar matches up to the more comically refined "Two Loser Guys" sketch with Tom Hanks and Jon Lovitz, where they used to stand on the sidewalk and ineptly hit on every woman that walked by (no matter how old she was, once they reached the point of desperation).

That was less about the goofy characters clowning it up (a la the "Crazy Guys"), and more about the actual wit of the writing.
post #26 of 311 Old 10-08-2009, 09:24 PM

"my dad is not a phone!!!!!!!"
post #27 of 311 Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattzane83 View Post

"my dad is not a phone!!!!!!!"

Duhhhhhhhhh!

Happy birthday to the ground!
post #28 of 311 Old 10-09-2009, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I thought last night's show was one of the very best in many seasons. Every sketch was a winner.

Ryan Reynolds turns out to be a terrific comedian.

I love Fred Armisen's "porcelain fountains" sales parody, and Scarlett's reprise of her previous role in that skit was just as hilarious this time as it was last time. Ryan's crazy son-in-law who does the installations was a riot.

Seth Myers may be the best Weekend Update writer/deliverer they've had. That stuff is just flat-out laugh-out-loud funny.

The "Celebrity Family Feud" hit on the John and Mackenzie Phillips story was terrific. I think rubber-faced Bill Heder may be the best impressionist they've ever had (I love his Keith Morrison and Al Pacino and the Italian TV interviewer and the list goes on and on). Jason Sudekis as Richard Dawson was also excellent. Abby Elliott (as Marie Osmond) was surprisingly disappointing.

"So you committed a crime... and you think you can dance" was inspired. The crazy inmates each demonstrating their own unique psychotic behaviors were hysterical, especially Will Forte who kept running after his partner because he wanted to touch her, and Fred Armisen who kept dancing toward the exit door to try and escape. Ryan Reynolds as the Australian dancing coach in filmed rehearsal segments was hilarious.

It goes on and on... I thought each sketch was a winner. This was a superb night.

And remarkably, I actually watched both of the musical numbers... something I NEVER do. Usually it's an instant FF, to get to Weekend Update.

In fact, I think the SECOND musical solo number by Lady GaGa might be the most shockingly and surprisingly great musical performance I've seen on the show! She was FANTASTIC... out of character, playing the piano like a real pro, singing with a real voice (that was excellent), looking into the camera and relating to the audience... I mean this was just superb! Absolutely a total surprise. Completely unexpected. Obviously the Lady GaGa character is an act.

And then we had the surprise cameo of Madonna... singing a comedy duet with Lady GaGa (both dressed skimpily and both looking terrific... with GaGa's g-string totally visible under her rather sheer stretch-shorts) followed by a cat fight on the couch.

Even the SNL Digital Short with Andy Samberg singing rap while they cut to various characters acting out the words he was singing in scenes was very amusing.

Darrell Hammond continues to appear (this time as an excellent Ahnold), despite the fact that I thought he'd retired. Again, very funny stuff.

All in all, EVERYTHING WAS A HIT! Not one loser, and not one FF. I wanted to see and hear everything, and I even rewound on some of the super-funny stuff just to hear it again.

Funniest bit of the night for me was the Weekend Update interview with smiling-faced silent Mahmoud Ahmadiniejad (Fred Armisen) who speaks no English and his very hip and wise-acre street-smart English-speaking Iranian wife (Nasim Pedrad) who mocks her husband. She was fantastic, describing how she can say anything to him in English because he understand nothing. Seth couldn't believe she could get away with it. This is the first actual bit they've starred her in and she REALLY SHINED. When she called out the NY cab driver who cut off their limousine, screaming at him that "your a** has a hole in it!" I lost it.

So, if you missed it, make a mental note to catch it when they repeat it in just a few weeks (if their past seasons' first two months show schedules hold true). This one was a keeper.

Wow...this review was just as over the top as Lady Gaga's performance....really, this show was ok, at best. I was hoping it was as good as this review, but it sure fell flat, just as many other SNL shows lately.

Doug
Where there's a beer, there's a way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #29 of 311 Old 10-09-2009, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Yeah I heard the S-bomb dropped here as well. You'd have thought after last week's fiasco the censors would have regrouped to be on their toes for the rest of the season, and then something like this happens. Oh well.

I wonder if this sort of thing is happening on SNL to push the envelope and make it permissable for talk to get a bit more blue on network TV. In order for it to happen it has to start happening. Likewise was the collapse of the motion picture production code in the late sixties. A little nudity here and there, then the deluge.

CW Hinkle
post #30 of 311 Old 10-09-2009, 06:53 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

[I wonder if this sort of thing is happening on SNL to push the envelope and make it permissable for talk to get a bit more blue on network TV. In order for it to happen it has to start happening. Likewise was the collapse of the motion picture production code in the late sixties. A little nudity here and there, then the deluge.

I'm still waiting for the nudity deluge. We've still seen far more male buttocks that female boobies on prime-time TV. If that's a deluge, then please give me drought.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page