'The Vampire Diaries' on The CW HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 207 Old 09-10-2009, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 47
This may become a new guilty-pleasure for me, as has Twilight (the movie) it seems to be stealing thunder from. Then again, mostly everything on The CW is a guilty pleasure.

Debuts tonight, 8/7c (will be encored tomorrow Fri.). Click the link for more show info and webisodes...

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/the-vampire-diaries

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 207 Old 09-10-2009, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We'll catch the first two eps, but then it sits in third position (with only two tuners) behind Bones and Flash Forward.
post #3 of 207 Old 09-10-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
According to USA TODAY, this show is geared only for teen age girls.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #4 of 207 Old 09-10-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

We'll catch the first two eps, but then it sits in third position (with only two tuners) behind Bones and Flash Forward.

It definitely loses priority to FlashForward....

Quote:

So was Twilight, but that didn't stop it from growin' on me. And I'm not a teenager and definitely not a girl!

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #5 of 207 Old 09-10-2009, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Umm, it's on the CW, you need the USA Today to tell you it was geared to teenage girls. Seriously though, I'm a 36 year old man, and I'm looking forward to it. My wife is seriously addicted to Twilight and True Blood, and read the first Vampire Diaries book this summer, so for her, this will fill in the gap between the end of True Blood season 2 and New Moon in November.

Rocky
post #6 of 207 Old 09-10-2009, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Anybody watch? I'm watching now, about 2/3 of the way through, not sure if it's gonna be my cup of tea. I'll give it a few episodes. I'm starved for SciFi and supernatural programming as it is, so I'll give it a long leash.
post #7 of 207 Old 09-10-2009, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I watched it, lots of teen angst - if you can have teen angst when you're 150 years old- but anyway...

Production values were good, it looked great. Good use of music too. Plot not so much, good brother, bad brother, both blood suckers. Had an Angel flash back when the dark brother asked how long the good brother could get by on squirrel blood, Angel was using rats for a decade or so...

Not interested in Flash Forward, odds are it will last 6 episodes and be gone like most of ABC's stuff. Bones gets one of my many tuners....
post #8 of 207 Old 09-11-2009, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I saw the pilot at Comic Con 2009, but rewatched it tonight. It's essentially Vampires meet Dawson's Creek, which is no surprise, since the creator of Dawson's, Kevin Williamson (also creator of the Scream Franchise), put this together.

As a Degrassi fan I love seeing Nina Dobrev (Elena) on "regular" television. She is hot and I'm glad the world gets to see her hotness.
post #9 of 207 Old 09-11-2009, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 144
Well, all I can say is that the title of the show is a bit of an unfortunate choice in the texting age. ..... wait for it ....
post #10 of 207 Old 09-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Watched it and not impressed. Too much of a rip off of Twilight for me. Can't there be anything original anymore? I loved the old CW Thursday night lineup with Smallville.
post #11 of 207 Old 09-11-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I pretty much enjoyed it, sure it had the usual CW teen angst, but I thought the vampire elements were done well enough. It was certainly derivative: from "Twilight" for the forbidden teen love angle, "Buffy/Angel" for the aforementioned animal blood angle as well as the ring that protects from sunlight, and even "Dracula" with the is she or isn't she the reincarnation of the vamp's old love. I'm kind of with rebkell, I'll pretty much give most any scifi or supernatural type show at least a look, heck I'll probably even sample "Eastwick."

Rocky
post #12 of 207 Old 09-11-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHolleman View Post

Too much of a rip off of Twilight for me. Can't there be anything original anymore?

First, there hasn't been much of anything that was truly "original" for as long as any of us have been alive. Practically everything is in some way a derivative of something else or a combination of other things. Despite surface appearances, this television series is as original, solely as compared to the books that the series is based on, as anything is original, overall. That's the nature of the true lack of actual originality.

I read concerns about originality simply as a matter of the complainer tiring of certain genres or themes. That is something internal to the complainer, not any reflection of an exhaustion of the utility of pursuing such themes overall.

Besides: Vampire Diaries, the television series, derives more from One Tree Hill, 90210 and perhaps even the early seasons of Smallville, than from Twilight, books or movies.

Quote:

I loved the old CW Thursday night lineup with Smallville.

I dunno... I don't consider two hours a "lineup".
post #13 of 207 Old 09-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

First, there hasn't been much of anything that was truly "original" for as long as any of us have been alive. Practically everything is in some way a derivative of something else or a combination of other things. Despite surface appearances, this television series is as original, solely as compared to the books that the series is based on, as anything is original, overall. That's the nature of the true lack of actual originality.

I read concerns about originality simply as a matter of the complainer tiring of certain genres or themes. That is something internal to the complainer, not any reflection of an exhaustion of the utility of pursuing such themes overall.

Besides: Vampire Diaries, the television series, derives more from One Tree Hill, 90210 and perhaps even the early seasons of Smallville, than from Twilight, books or movies.

I dunno... I don't consider two hours a "lineup".

I view VD as just another attempt to jump on what's hot at the moment, or at least what was hot last spring. The writers could have easily named it "Twilight: The Series", it's that blatant of a rip off. I don't see it having enough to carry it beyond 1 or 2 seasons.

What exactly constitutes a line up to you? Prime time TV is between 8-11. Tyler Perry's House of Painfulness follows Supernatural as it has for the last few years, which doesn't exactly "fit" with SN and SV. So barring that last hour of nothingness, I see fit to call the best two shows the CW has on Thursdays their "lineup". YMMV
post #14 of 207 Old 09-11-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:

The writers could have easily named it "Twilight: The Series", it's that blatant of a rip off.

Except that it is based on books that predated the books on which Twilight is based by a decade. Twilight was the "rip off".

Quote:

I don't see it having enough to carry it beyond 1 or 2 seasons.

This is The CW. I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion.

Quote:

What exactly constitutes a line up to you? Prime time TV is between 8-11. Tyler Perry's House of Painfulness follows Supernatural

Not here. That's a local offering in your area, not a network offering. CW programming is two hours per night. I consider a "line up" to be three hours. But that's just me. Like you said.
post #15 of 207 Old 09-11-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What exactly constitutes a line up to you? Prime time TV is between 8-11. Tyler Perry's House of Painfulness follows Supernatural as it has for the last few years, which doesn't exactly "fit" with SN and SV. So barring that last hour of nothingness, I see fit to call the best two shows the CW has on Thursdays their "lineup". YMMV

Not to go too far OT, but House of Payne is syndicated, so while it follows Supernatural for you, it's not part of the CW lineup. In my market it airs in the 6pm (central) slot, just before primetime, on the MyTV affiliate.

Rocky
post #16 of 207 Old 09-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Except that it is based on books that predated the books on which Twilight is based by a decade. Twilight was the "rip off".

Fair enough. I didn't know that. I typically don't follow teen angst ridden novels about mythical beings that drink blood that make exceptions to their true nature while falling in love with underage girls Just me.

Quote:

This is The CW. I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion.

Point taken. See Smallville.

Quote:

Not here. That's a local offering in your area, not a network offering. CW programming is two hours per night. I consider a "line up" to be three hours. But that's just me. Like you said.

I didn't realize that as well. Oh well. It's just such a ridiculous bookend to SV/SN that I completely disregard it.
post #17 of 207 Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:

I typically don't follow teen angst ridden novels about mythical beings that drink blood that make exceptions to their true nature while falling in love with underage girls Just me.

My wife turned me onto the genre.
post #18 of 207 Old 09-11-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 144

Quote:

I view VD

.... and there it is. A most unfortunate choice of titles.
post #19 of 207 Old 09-11-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Or Dawson's Creek, as I pointed out that VD was created by Kevin Williamson, creator of Dawson's Creek (and Scream). And I don't just say that because of the same creator: VD had a Dawson's feel with its introspection into the thoughts of its main characters. That's classic Dawson's Creek.
post #20 of 207 Old 09-11-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Primetime Ratings: ‘Vampire Diaries' Sets Debut Record For CW

Delivers second-place 2.1/6 finish at 8 p.m.

By David Tanklefsky -- Broadcasting & Cable, 9/11/2009 1:07:10 PM EDT

Vampire Diaries turned out to be the fall premiere the CW can sink its teeth into. The show set a series debut record among women 18-34 (3.0/10) and women 18-49 (2.8/8). Its 2.1/6 number in the 18-49 demo and 4.8 million viewer total were the highest for the network since October 2007. The CW finished third overall on the night with a 1.7/5.

NBC was way out in front of the competition overall with their coverage of the first NFL regular season game, between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Tennessee Titans. The game averaged a 5.9/18 rating and 15.9 million viewers in the 8 p.m. hour. CBS was next at 2.6/8 for Big Brother, followed by the CW's impressive debut for Vampire Diaries. Fox was fourth with a 1.2/4 for a rerun of Bones. A Grey's Anatomy rerun on ABC delivered a 1.1/3.

NBC hit the night's top marks at 9 p.m. with a 7.8/21 and 20 million viewers tuning into the football game. The CW and CBS tied for second at 1.4/4. The CW aired the fifth season premiere of the Supernatural. CBS countered with a rerun of CSI. Another Grey's rerun pulled a 1.3/4 for ABC. Fox was fifth at 1.1/3 for a rerun of Fringe.

At 10 NBC stayed way ahead with a 7.3/20 and 17.3 million viewers. CBS' Mentalist rerun was next at 1.9/5. ABC was third at 1.0/3 for a rerun of Private Practice.

NBC dominated the night with a 7.0/20 average and 17.8 million tuning in. CBS was second at 1.9/5, followed by the CW's strongest Thursday night showing in viewers since September 2008 at 1.7/5. Fox came in at 1.2/3. ABC was fifth with a 1.1/3.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...ord_For_CW.php

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #21 of 207 Old 09-12-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I watched the pilot back in May (work for a CW affiliate). When I watched it, it was obviously a rip-off of Twilight, but learned a few weeks later the books for VD came out well before the Twilight books. So, I'll wait and see on how the series goes...

What I don't like is that the producers aren't pushing the boundaries for the network. Supernatural (language/gore) really pushes what can be shown on network television (as did Veronica Mars, re: language). This show is about vampires dammit, push the boundaries a little. I'm not saying go all "True Blood" and all, but c'mon, give us a little more than Twilight....

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #22 of 207 Old 09-12-2009, 04:30 PM

What do you mean -- specifically?
post #23 of 207 Old 09-12-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It was tepid at best. However, I don't judge a show by its pilot. At that point, shows are often not at their "gel" point. So, for the time being, the series link is still staying.
post #24 of 207 Old 09-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

I saw the pilot...it was too teeny bop for me...
post #25 of 207 Old 09-12-2009, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 245
The 5 actresses from Vampire Diaries were arrested for flashing motorist on the expressway. They commented that they were filming for the show.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/20859053/detail.html#

post #26 of 207 Old 09-12-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

It was tepid at best. However, I don't judge a show by its pilot. At that point, shows are often not at their "gel" point. So, for the time being, the series link is still staying.

True Blood is currently my favorite show and Buffy VS was my all time favorite series. And I also don't judge a show too much by its pilot.

But I really didn't think TVD had any snap at all to the dialogue. If it doesn't improve I'll probably just label it a vampire formula show and stop watching even though I'm a sucker for most any sci fi or fantasy series and the genre alone will probably keep me for a couple more episodes.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #27 of 207 Old 09-13-2009, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarry View Post

True Blood is currently my favorite show and Buffy VS was my all time favorite series. And I also don't judge a show too much by its pilot.

But I really didn't think TVD had any snap at all to the dialogue. If it doesn't improve I'll probably just label it a vampire formula show and stop watching even though I'm a sucker for most any sci fi or fantasy series and the genre alone will probably keep me for a couple more episodes.

- Tom

Reminds me how much I miss Moonlight.
post #28 of 207 Old 09-13-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

The 5 actresses from Vampire Diaries were arrested for flashing motorist on the expressway. They commented that they were filming for the show.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/20859053/detail.html#

That's one way to secure ratings.
post #29 of 207 Old 09-13-2009, 08:59 AM
DDD

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

Reminds me how much I miss Moonlight.

And "Blood Ties". Both exceedingly better than this one so far. It would be enjoyable if Supernatural's creator Eric Kripke had a hand in it.
post #30 of 207 Old 09-13-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's one way to secure ratings.

If they would come over to my house and do that I would probably be willing to retract my somewhat critical comments above.

I believe in encouraging that sort of behavior.

"Hey, You! Get off my lawn. If you are not gone by next week I'm calling the police."

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page