post #691 of 830 Old 03-16-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooder View Post

This show is just terrible. The writers must have left with Steve Carrell. The whole Florida thing was silly and unfunny. The new gal Nellie is the worst character in the history of television. She has degraded the show to unwatchable.

Agreed. Nellie is just awful. She needs to go. I hope this is the final season of the Office.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 830 Old 03-16-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 118
She looked deranged, almost insane, if I was Robert I'll call the cops and take her to the asylum.. she has a nice body though.. LOL

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #693 of 830 Old 03-16-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
At the risk of sounding like a pseudo pro critic, I think the main problem is that the show doesn't have any clear direction. Perhaps that is a reflection of reality, but things have probably gotten too random for many viewers. The result is you tend to care much less about the characters you once liked.

The Michael Scott/David Wallace and Michael Scott/Jo Bennett dynamic in the past kept everything together and made the storylines more systematic.
post #694 of 830 Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This season has officially tanked the show...ugh! Not sure what the 'this season is great' fans have been watching but nothing was even remotely funny in last night's episode.
post #695 of 830 Old 03-16-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Time to stick a fork in it. Every show has a finite creative lifespan and 'The Office' has apparently reached the end of its. (Interesting - I don't think I've ever ended a sentence with "its" before. )
post #696 of 830 Old 03-16-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This was just way the hell over the top. A crazy woman walks in, claims to be the new boss, then spouts nonsense about her being Tinkerbell giving out raises while the CEO watches the chaos in smug enjoyment. I didn't buy this for a second, even with Jim correctly pointing out that she doesn't have the authority to give out raises and the whole thing was a farce. It looked like they wanted Katherine Tate to have a big part in an Office episode and just had her improvise.

I liked the balloon opening though.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #697 of 830 Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

At the risk of sounding like a pseudo pro critic, I think the main problem is that the show doesn't have any clear direction. Perhaps that is a reflection of reality, but things have probably gotten too random for many viewers. The result is you tend to care much less about the characters you once liked.

I blame the randomness on the stunt casting this season. Spader dominates every scene he's in because that's what Spader does. Add Tate to the stunt casting and now you have two stars that require lots of lines and camera time to justify their being on the show. The regular characters who were once funny on their own are now there just to set up the jokes for the guest stars and react to them afterwards. Stunt casting is essential for shows like 30 Rock to be funny but it doesn't work for a show that's supposed to be about a paper company in Scranton.

Give us our regular characters back!

post #698 of 830 Old 03-16-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Time to stick a fork in it. Every show has a finite creative lifespan and 'The Office' has apparently reached the end of its. (Interesting - I don't think I've ever ended a sentence with "its" before. )

I'm having a horrible day, cried at work a little bit.

This post made me smile. Enjoy the weekend, sir
post #699 of 830 Old 03-16-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm not quite sure what all the griping is about. I like this season. I like Katharine Tate, who is one of those not-conventionally-good-looking women who is nonetheless smokin' hot (YMMV). Plus, like Michael and everyone else who has assumed his role, SHE IS SUPPOSED TO BE ANNOYING. Robert California is insane and raging out of control and just doesn't give a poo-poo and in that context I can see him letting her do whatever she wants.

It's surrealism, like Community, only a little more grounded in reality. I welcome to opportunity to see Mindy Kaling's writing on the screen.

This at least tries to be different, unlike poor 30 Rock, which someone either needs to shoot or, failing that, at least hire some funnier writers. Lorne, you're a gazillionaire. Spend the money.

CW Hinkle
post #700 of 830 Old 03-16-2012, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Used to be a huge fan, last night's episode made the wife and I realize that this show is nearing the end at least for us. Nothing very funny about last night's episode, except for Erin confessing her love for Andy to the wrong car.
post #701 of 830 Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
The show isn't as good anymore but I still feel the need to watch it. I'll stick with it to the end.
post #702 of 830 Old 03-17-2012, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
The only LOL moment for me was Pam saying "I think you're a witch" when Katherine Tate was encouraging her to take a nap.

I think I'm done though.
post #703 of 830 Old 03-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Personally I enjoyed this week's episode due to Tate's craziness. She brought an craziness to the manager character on the show that's been missing since Steve left. Yeah the direction of the show right now could be much better and yes the show in general isn't as good as it used to be I will admit. But I'm still enjoying it yet at the same time I do feel this should have been its last season.

By the way here's how I *think* the show should end:

- Dwight after being burned out from working at Dunder Mifflin/Sabre especially from the recent Florida failure leaves the company so he can work full time on his B&B/beets farm... yeah I know that's what leads into the Dwight spinoff show but it makes logical sense to build that into the series ending.

- Andy and Erin decide to move to Florida to run a new branch down there.

- Michael and Holly return near the end for their wedding to happen in Scranton so we viewers finally get a true sense of closure on Michael's character coming full circle.

- Jim in the last shot of the series is seen in the manager's office as the new manager.

- Oh and Creed will do something amazingly epic in the final episode that we'll never forget.

Demolition Man
Fan of New England/Boston & Minnesota teams!
post #704 of 830 Old 03-17-2012, 05:18 PM

Liked: 10
How have the ratings been? I would bet every week the numbers have to be dropping. I am giving it one one show, and if it is as terrible as this past one I am going to watch the grass grow.
post #705 of 830 Old 03-17-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I was rather shocked by this episode. Shocked how bad the actress playing Tate is and shocked by how bad the episode was. My feeling after the show was, well that's it for me. My son called me today and said the same thing before I had even brought up the show.
My feeling in the season finale was the people behind the show think she is absolutely hilarious and wanted to pick her, but James spader was so resonant in the part that they had to go with him. Now that he's leaving the show they returned to their original choice, who is a low rent female version of the original Ricky gervais character without any of the talent...

Robert Clark
post #706 of 830 Old 03-18-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

I was rather shocked by this episode. Shocked how bad the actress playing Tate is and shocked by how bad the episode was. My feeling after the show was, well that's it for me. My son called me today and said the same thing before I had even brought up the show.
My feeling in the season finale was the people behind the show think she is absolutely hilarious and wanted to pick her, but James spader was so resonant in the part that they had to go with him. Now that he's leaving the show they returned to their original choice, who is a low rent female version of the original Ricky gervais character without any of the talent...

Spot on. I never thought losing Carrel would be so devastating. Did they lose a bunch of writiers as well? This past week was awful.
post #707 of 830 Old 03-18-2012, 07:11 PM

This Nellie character is simply God-awful. I can't watch her at all. Not one funny thing has came from her lips. Even my wife says she is done with this show and she is a HUGE fan of the show.
post #708 of 830 Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Wow... talk about jumping off a cliff. Relax folks. Wait and see where things go.

Demolition Man
Fan of New England/Boston & Minnesota teams!
post #709 of 830 Old 03-19-2012, 12:07 PM

Thank god for the dvr. Whenever I see the Nellie character I simply fast forward.

If the show continues down its current path I too will be deleting the show from my list.
post #710 of 830 Old 03-19-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianhdaddict View Post

if the show continues down its current path i too will be deleting the show from my list.

+1
post #711 of 830 Old 03-19-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hmm, so Nellie/Tate is from Basildon, Essex, England. I lived there for a few years. Horrible place!
post #712 of 830 Old 03-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I was about 60% to the point of deleting The Office from my series recording list. If the redheaded woman stays, I will be at 100%. And rather quickly.
post #713 of 830 Old 03-19-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Punter View Post

Spot on. I never thought losing Carrel would be so devastating. Did they lose a bunch of writiers as well? This past week was awful.

Tate's performance was the same kind of outrageous over the top humor that I was glad the Office stopped doing when Carrel left.

post #714 of 830 Old 03-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
While an ensemble cast, Carrell was more or less the center of the show. Since he's been gone, it's been on a steady decline with no sign of reversing course.
post #715 of 830 Old 03-19-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I believe Tate is playing Nellie as written. Those hating her should rage against the writers. She was wonderful playing the Doctor Who companion, Donna Noble .
post #716 of 830 Old 03-19-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

I believe Tate is playing Nellie as written. Those hating her should rage against the writers. She was wonderful playing the Doctor Who companion, Donna Noble .

Worst. Companion. Ever.
post #717 of 830 Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
so how does everyone here think a Dwight Schrute spin off series will really do (as the rumour that NBC will have one about Schrute farms) ?
post #718 of 830 Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

so how does everyone here think a Dwight Schrute spin off series will really do (as the rumour that NBC will have one about Schrute farms) ?

Poorly.
post #719 of 830 Old 03-24-2012, 08:40 PM

Here is the latest:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...=Entertainment

The future of NBC's "The Office" is in question.
With much of the main cast only under contract for the current season -- Season 8 -- speculation regarding another season (or possible lack thereof) has run rampant. Now, the latest bunch of news -- Ed Helms joining the cast of a Fox comedy pilot and showrunner Paul Lieberstein leaving the series to work on the Dwight Schrute spinoff -- has put the future of "The Office" in serious jeopardy.

But rumors have been on the tips of TV insiders' tongues for some time. First, the news of Mindy Kaling's new OB/GYN comedy pilot at Fox broke in January 2012. Kaling's overall deal with NBC is also expiring. Then, talk of a Dwight spinoff emerged and was quickly confirmed by series star Rainn Wilson. But it doesn't stop there. New cast addition James Spader didn't renew his contract for Season 9.
"James always wanted this to be a one year arc, and he now leaves us having created one of the most enigmatic and dynamic characters in television," Lieberstein said in a statement in February 2012. "He's been a great friend to me and the show, helping us successfully transition into the post-Michael Scott years, and I'm grateful for that. I'm already looking for ways to work with him again."
That brings us to the latest casting news: Helms will appear in Kaling's comedy project at Fox. According to EW, Helms will guest star in the pilot as a potential love interest for Kaling's character, his character goes on a blind date with her protagonist. However, guest starring roles on pilots do not always guarantee series regular status if the show is picked up. TV Guide reports Helms and John Krasinski are close to signing new deals for Season 9, and many on the show are treating a new season -- if there is one -- like it would be the last. It looks like Helms' guest role on Kaling's project could be left at that.
"It's likely to be written for some of the characters as a last year," a source told TV Guide. "But if a couple new characters are introduced or other story ideas emerge, you just never know."
"The Office" has been one of NBC's better performing shows for the last few seasons. Debuting to more than 11 million viewers in 2005, the show maintained a steady viewership through its first couple of seasons, but lately, ratings have been on a bit of a decline. Its most recent episode had 4.9 million viewers, but had a 2.4 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic.
Meanwhile, network brass and "The Office" showrunner Lieberstein, who also plays Toby on the series, are at work on the Dwight spinoff. Both The Hollywood Reporter and EW report NBC is "actively searching for a replacement" for the writer/producer. According to THR, the potential spinoff, "The Farm," would feature Wilson's character leaving "The Office" altogether. Lieberstein could still participate on the series in a reduced capacity. He's attached to "The Farm" as a co-creator and would serve as showrunner if the backdoor pilot -- an upcoming episode of "The Office" is expected to be used as a test run for the spinoff -- makes it so series.
post #720 of 830 Old 04-13-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 187
TV Notes
The Office' Update: Series Reboot Eyed As Talks With Cast Still In Holding Pattern
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Apr. 12, 2012

NBC's The Office went through a major transformation at the beginning of this season, following the departure of original star Steve Carell. But I hear the show, which has not been officially renewed, may undergo an even more dramatic change going into next fall.

Word is that The Office executive producer Greg Daniels, who originally developed the American version of the cult British comedy, is mulling a reboot of the series, now in its eighth season. Daniels is expected to meet with NBC brass to lay out his idea for The Office 2.0, which I hear would feature existing characters as well as new ones.

As for The Office key original cast members John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer and B.J. Novak, whose contracts are up at the end of this season, as well as that of Ed Helms, there hasn't been a lot of movement in the negotiations over the past few weeks, following an early overture by the network around the time The Office spinoff starring Rainn Wilson came together.

There are a number of major outstanding questions, including the number of episodes the stars would sign for. Helms has The Hangover threequel and Krasinski is eying a possible January movie shoot, so potential new deals for them will likely accommodate that the way House accommodated Olivia Wilde when her feature career took off. Also unclear is how long The Office would keep going. I hear the main cast may want next season to be last while NBC is leaning towards not closing the door to one additional season.

I hear no major decisions will be made until NBC brass review their crop of pilots for next season.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/the-...lding-pattern/
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page