"Community" on NBC HD - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 1955 Old 02-07-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
akbled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post
I just watched a clip of BBT and turned it off at the first sign of a laugh track. I just can't do it.
x2
akbled is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 1955 Old 02-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Senior Member
 
gruven42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chi-burbs
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

I just watched a clip of BBT and turned it off at the first sign of a laugh track. I just can't do it.

Same here. It's not the 90s anymore.

What, do these people have a studio audience in their living room?
gruven42 is offline  
post #543 of 1955 Old 02-07-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

I just watched a clip of BBT and turned it off at the first sign of a laugh track. I just can't do it.

It's filmed in front of a live studio audience. Yes, I realize its not the 90's anymore, but the laughing doesn't even bother me; I don't even notice it. Not sure why this complaint keeps popping up about BBT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

NBC should just move Community to 8pm on Wednesday. There's no need for every NBC comedy to be on one night. Cancel Perfect couples and move Minute to win it or other reality garbage to 8pm Thursday. Let that lose to BBT.

I agree, I think it should be moved to Wednesday or at least out of the way of BBT. That was a bold programming move by CBS, and its paying off. Not sure why you say cancel Perfect Couples, its only been on the air for 3 episodes and I kind of enjoy it. It's similar to Rules of Engagement on CBS, but with less David Spade and more Olivia Munn. Give it a chance to finish a 13 episode run?

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

tighr is online now  
post #544 of 1955 Old 02-07-2011, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pappy97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I agree, I think it should be moved to Wednesday or at least out of the way of BBT. That was a bold programming move by CBS, and its paying off. Not sure why you say cancel Perfect Couples, its only been on the air for 3 episodes and I kind of enjoy it. It's similar to Rules of Engagement on CBS, but with less David Spade and more Olivia Munn. Give it a chance to finish a 13 episode run?

I think Perfect Couples is awful, but hey, I'm willing to give it a chance for the full 13 eps. I wish I could say the same about other people and their attitudes towards "Outsourced."

But fine, move Perfect Couples to 8:30 on Wednesday if you must. Point is, NBC should not stack all of its comedies on one night. They think it means people will tune in at 8pm and stay until 11pm, but that's not realistic, and the numbers are showing that.

NBC's strength is its comedies, and that Thurs night lineup: Office, 30 Rock, P&R, Community, and what I think isn't half bad Outsourced, and what some like in "Perfect Couples."

Really to get viewership up across the board on NBC a pair of those shows goes to Tuesday, a pair to Wednesday, and a pair stays on Thursday (9-10pm NBC's mainstay comedy block).

But for now, Community should go to Wed at 8pm and I suppose Perfect Couples or Outsourced at 8:30pm Wed. Don't even think about going head to head with Modern Family, even if we all know Community is a better show and funnier than Modern Family (ok, I'll condition that with an IMHO). And for the love of God NBC, take comedies off the 10pm-11pm block. Such a waste to put comedies on that late.
pappy97 is offline  
post #545 of 1955 Old 02-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Newbie
 
wembleyana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

It's filmed in front of a live studio audience. Yes, I realize its not the 90's anymore, but the laughing doesn't even bother me; I don't even notice it. Not sure why this complaint keeps popping up about BBT.

I think as the comment about "do they have an audience in their living room?" shows, there's a tendency today to want shows to look and feel realistic. Obviously a show shot with an audience in the studio is not supposed to look realistic; it expects us to accept that there's an audience, and that the sets don't look real, and that it's generally like a stage play.

Most viewers can still accept it, but most TV shows look more realistic than they used to (not to mention reality shows), so the studio-audience sitcom uses conventions that are a bit different from all the other shows on the air. Which is one of the coolest things about it. Too much realism can be dull.

(Of course there's a difference between Community, which looks fairly realistic but contrasts that with the wacky goings-on, and the original "The Office," which actually was supposed to be semi-realistic at times. But both shows try for a fairly realistic feel, which is very different from a show like BBT or Seinfeld, which looks like a filmed play.)
wembleyana is offline  
post #546 of 1955 Old 02-07-2011, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVChallenged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 8,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

I just watched a clip of BBT and turned it off at the first sign of a laugh track. I just can't do it.

Oh dear ... would you like a little cheese to go with that wine-taster/snobish 'tude? Good Heavens!
HDTVChallenged is offline  
post #547 of 1955 Old 02-08-2011, 02:08 AM
 
goneten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It's funny, a few days ago I had never heard of this show but a colleague at work recommended that I watch it and I'm glad I did because it's been hands down the best comedy show on TV, in my opinion. Really good stuff.
goneten is offline  
post #548 of 1955 Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
skyehill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Oh dear ... would you like a little cheese to go with that wine-taster/snobish 'tude? Good Heavens!

Not whining at all. I just know what I like and what I don't. Time is precious, so I don't waste it on shows with laugh tracks. I'm not disparaging the quality of the show.
skyehill is offline  
post #549 of 1955 Old 02-08-2011, 05:57 AM
 
goneten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Time is precious, so I don't waste it on shows with laugh tracks.

I'm sick and tired of 'AVS Special Members'.
goneten is offline  
post #550 of 1955 Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 AM
Senior Member
 
jakestir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Watauga, Tx
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post

The Annie sex scene was quite possibly one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life.

+1! Pure greatness.

I also think they made Pierce a little too "dickish". It kind of killed the momentum of the funny.


IMHO, laugh track/studio audience kills a show for me. Kind of like auto-tune in music...I just can't take it.
But shows like BBT and "2 and a half men" do pretty well in the ratings so what the heck do I know?
jakestir is offline  
post #551 of 1955 Old 02-08-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
skyehill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

I'm sick and tired of 'AVS Special Members'.

Awww that's cute.
skyehill is offline  
post #552 of 1955 Old 02-08-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestir View Post

+1! Pure greatness.

I also think they made Pierce a little too "dickish". It kind of killed the momentum of the funny.


IMHO, laugh track/studio audience kills a show for me. Kind of like auto-tune in music...I just can't take it.
But shows like BBT and "2 and a half men" do pretty well in the ratings so what the heck do I know?

Some viewers prefer to be told when to laugh.

HIMYM has got to to be the only current TV comedy we watch in my home any more that has a laugh track. And while it's a cute show & NPH is always entertaining, it's also the least funny of those we watch.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #553 of 1955 Old 02-08-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vfxproducer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

It's similar to Rules of Engagement on CBS, but with less David Spade and more Olivia Munn.

In other words, less funny.
vfxproducer is offline  
post #554 of 1955 Old 02-08-2011, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVChallenged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 8,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Time is precious, so I don't waste it on shows with laugh tracks. .

So do you apply the same logic to say .... a live standup comedy routine? How about Leno, Letterman, Conan, DailyShow ... Cobert????

I just don't see the distinction between "live" audience reaction and recorded "live" audience reaction ...

You're telling me that you would never, never, ever go see a live comedy show, because people next to you might laugh?????? Really????
HDTVChallenged is offline  
post #555 of 1955 Old 02-09-2011, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
skyehill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The last live comedy I've been to was Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. I don't recall a ton of annoying laughter. And I'm not about to say that a live comedy show is remotely similar to my favorite television comedies. As for laughter during late night TV, whenever I do see Furgeson or Leno it perplexes me that people are laughing at all.

I think you and others might be interpreting my dislike of laugh tracks as an opinion that any show with them must suck. That's not true. I choose not to watch sitcoms that use them. Much like if given the choice to sit next to someone with a crying baby on a plane, bus, or automobile, I will choose not to.
skyehill is offline  
post #556 of 1955 Old 02-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Senior Member
 
gruven42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chi-burbs
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

So do you apply the same logic to say .... a live standup comedy routine? How about Leno, Letterman, Conan, DailyShow ... Cobert????

No. Stand-up and variety shows are a completely different context than a sitcom, which are like (very) short films. Wouldn't you mind if they had a laugh track during The Hangover?
gruven42 is offline  
post #557 of 1955 Old 02-09-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hhaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anyone have any details for tomorrow's episode?
hhaller is offline  
post #558 of 1955 Old 02-09-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
skyehill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post
Anyone have any details for tomorrow's episode?
Troy and Abed become romantic rivals when they both pursue the college librarian. Elsewhere, Britta befriends a student who she presumes is a lesbian; and Professor Duncan invites himself over to Jeff's place.
skyehill is offline  
post #559 of 1955 Old 02-09-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
skyehill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Having now watched 15 of the first 25 episodes in season 1, I can definitely see why people said Pierce's behavior in the D&D episode was uncharacteristically mean. Redeemed at the end though. I'm loving the relationship of Abed and Troy. Reminds me a lot of JD and Turk on Scrubs. Does anyone remember if White Abed was played by Danny Pudi? Seeing Annie grow into more and more of a sexual creature is hilarious. Loved her reaction to seeing Jeff playing pool naked.
skyehill is offline  
post #560 of 1955 Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
gruven42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chi-burbs
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post
Does anyone remember if White Abed was played by Danny Pudi?
Yep!
gruven42 is offline  
post #561 of 1955 Old 02-09-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVChallenged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 8,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruven42 View Post
No. Stand-up and variety shows are a completely different context than a sitcom, which are like (very) short films.
Well that's certainly an opinion.

Quote:
Wouldn't you mind if they had a laugh track during The Hangover?
Don't know ... never seen it. Did you watch it in a theater? If so, was the audience completely silent through the whole movie? If not, did the guy/gal next to you ever laugh at something that you thought wasn't funny?
HDTVChallenged is offline  
post #562 of 1955 Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
You're telling me that you would never, never, ever go see a live comedy show, because people next to you might laugh?
The last live comedy I've been to was Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. I don't recall a ton of annoying laughter.
I'm beginning to see the problem here. You were asked if you'd seen a live comedy, and your reply was a Shakespeare play, which while technically a "comedy" isn't what the other poster was asking. Shakespeare "Comedy" plays were simply plays that didn't end with all the characters dying at the end. They weren't necessarily funny. That word didn't eventually come to be synonymous with "funny" until centuries later.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

tighr is online now  
post #563 of 1955 Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVChallenged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 8,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post
I think you and others might be interpreting my dislike of laugh tracks as an opinion that any show with them must suck.
Well that's pretty much the only interpretation one can make from your position.

Quote:
I choose not to watch sitcoms that use them. Much like if given the choice to sit next to someone with a crying baby on a plane, bus, or automobile, I will choose not to.
Well it's just white noise to me.

The last show I can remember that had an actual "laugh track" (a machine generated entity as opposed to live audience reaction) was M*A*S*H ... and that's been off the air for decades.
HDTVChallenged is offline  
post #564 of 1955 Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Senior Member
 
gruven42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chi-burbs
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
Well that's certainly an opinion.
No, it's a fact that Community and The Daily Show are two completely different styles of television shows, not an opinion. I guess your user name is justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
Don't know ... never seen it. Did you watch it in a theater? If so, was the audience completely silent through the whole movie?
I didn't, but thanks for missing the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
If not, did the guy/gal next to you ever laugh at something that you thought wasn't funny?
Not sure what this has to do with anything.
gruven42 is offline  
post #565 of 1955 Old 02-09-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Shaded Dogfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Terminus and the Lake of Light
Posts: 4,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Shakespeare "Comedy" plays were simply plays that didn't end with all the characters dying at the end. They weren't necessarily funny.

Twelfth Night is a funny Shakespeare play. I think it's one of his best comedies, though I agree, his comedies are not all that laugh-out-loud funny any more.

Producers regularly "sweeten" studio audience reactions with more laughter, which frequently make the show seem like one from the bad old days. I'm not sure why it is deemed necessary to continue to do shows with a narrative in the three-camera, live studio audience fashion, other than maybe some stars demand it.

CW Hinkle
Shaded Dogfood is online now  
post #566 of 1955 Old 02-09-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jwebb1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 8,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post
Shakespeare "Comedy" plays were simply plays that didn't end with all the characters dying at the end. They weren't necessarily funny.

Twelfth Night is a funny Shakespeare play. I think it's one of his best comedies, though I agree, his comedies are not all that laugh-out-loud funny any more.

Producers regularly "sweeten" studio audience reactions with more laughter, which frequently make the show seem like one from the bad old days. I'm not sure why it is deemed necessary to continue to do shows with a narrative in the three-camera, live studio audience fashion, other than maybe some stars demand it.
Or the show runners and/or network think the audience demands it.

I could be wrong, but are any current sitcoms w/ a laugh track running on any network other than CBS? Not a slam against CBS, but it's programming/audience supposedly skews "older" IIRC. Could be a case of the network asking show runners to give them "traditional" 30-minute sitcoms.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

jwebb1970 is offline  
post #567 of 1955 Old 02-09-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
skyehill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
Well that's pretty much the only interpretation one can make from your position.
Or you can trust my words when I said I dislike laugh tracks, and choose to not watch sitcoms that use them. I can't judge the quality of the show since after hearing the laugh track, I turned it off. It's just a personal preference. You shouldnt let my preferences bother you.
skyehill is offline  
post #568 of 1955 Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
vespaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Or you can trust my words when I said I dislike laugh tracks, and choose to not watch sitcoms that use them. I can't judge the quality of the show since after hearing the laugh track, I turned it off. It's just a personal preference. You shouldnt let my preferences bother you.

I doubt your personal preferences bother anyone here. Nobody seems to be faulting you for your choice to not watch laugh-track sitcoms.

However, you said you don't "waste time" watching laugh-track shows, you shoehorned Twelfth Night into an answer about a "comedy show", and you say you are "perplexed" by the laughter received by Leno and Furgeson. It's comments like that - intentionally or not - make you sound like a pretentious git.

Can we get back on track now?! How about that Community!!!
vespaguy is offline  
post #569 of 1955 Old 02-09-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
skyehill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespaguy View Post

I doubt your personal preferences bother anyone here. Nobody seems to be faulting you for your choice to not watch laugh-track sitcoms.

However, you said you don't "waste time" watching laugh-track shows, you shoehorned Twelfth Night into an answer about a "comedy show", and you say you are "perplexed" by the laughter received by Leno and Furgeson. It's comments like that - intentionally or not - make you sound like a pretentious git.

Can we get back on track now?! How about that Community!!!

Nah, a pretentious git would be someone that judges someone else for what they do and don't find funny. Kinda like what you just did.
skyehill is offline  
post #570 of 1955 Old 02-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
vespaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Nah, a pretentious git would be someone that judges someone else for what they do and don't find funny. Kinda like what you just did.

Not at all. Nobody is judging what you "do and don't find funny", myself included, only on the tone of your responses. I was simply pointing out that your wording was construed as condescending/pretentious/snobby by a number of members.

Can we be done with this now?
vespaguy is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off