post #31 of 1955 Old 09-19-2009, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

P&R is too much like The Office. It's Amy Poehler trying to do Steve Carrell doing Michael Scott. Comes off as a cheap knockoff.

I felt P&R was the Office in the public sector.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1955 Old 09-19-2009, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't like the Office at all - just can't relate ... I've tried to watch the show and just don't find the humor - maybe because I never worked in an office? Parks and Recreation was the same for me - tried it and didn't like it at all. But I thought Community was very funny and I liked the characters. Hope it sticks around for a while.
post #33 of 1955 Old 09-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

He needs a bachelor's degree. That's at least four years worth of material.

I liked it. I hope it succeeds, but I doubt it will survive for a second season.

A Community College is only two years, but I thought the show is worth watching again. It seems some of the posts are veering off the subject of the show - Community.
post #34 of 1955 Old 09-20-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

P&R is too much like The Office. It's Amy Poehler trying to do Steve Carrell doing Michael Scott. Comes off as a cheap knockoff.

TOTALLY agree. Just saying that 'its The Office in the public sector' doesn't make it funny or original. It would probably be a better show if it wasn't created by the same people who did the office. Then it might have had a more interesting, fresher take on the idea, instead of feeling like such a retread.
post #35 of 1955 Old 09-20-2009, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

The main actor is a douche and not very funny.

The main actor being a douche is what makes him funny.

I thought the pilot was just mildly amusing, with a few glimmers of brilliance here and there. However, it clearly set up all the characters and the potential for more funny situations. I'll keep watching for a few more episodes to see how it goes. I HOPE they give Chevy more to do.
post #36 of 1955 Old 09-20-2009, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor View Post

I don't like the Office at all - just can't relate ... I've tried to watch the show and just don't find the humor - maybe because I never worked in an office?

I've heard people say this, but I don't think you have to have worked in an Office to get it. I know many people who have never worked in an Office who love the show. Maybe it's the lack of a laugh track that gets you?
post #37 of 1955 Old 09-20-2009, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

I've heard people say this, but I don't think you have to have worked in an Office to get it. I know many people who have never worked in an Office who love the show. Maybe it's the lack of a laugh track that gets you?

No - I like shows without laugh tracks too ... I just do not find The Office funny at all - I don't/just can't find the humor in the show and I've tried. Don't know why - I've tried to watch it a few times and never get 10 mins in and have to turn it off - thought maybe you had to have worked in an office to get it.... I LOVE comedy shows - watch a LOT of them - 30 Rock, Big Bang Theory, 2.5 Men - hilarious shows - even watched some Monty Python on Netflix last nite ... Office - not so much for me ... at all - sorry.
post #38 of 1955 Old 09-20-2009, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Watched the pilot on Hulu yesterday. Thoughts it won enough laughs to deserve further Saturday evening viewings. Not strong enough to pull my away from watching Fringe (virus monsters shooting out of people's mouths, c'mon!), but certain;y strong enough to pick up some viewing when everything else flames out.

I'd also add that a lot of sitcoms take a while to feel out their best material. People who judged a show like The Big Bang Theory on the first half of its first season have been missing out ever since.

Community has some good material. Abdel is very funny. The blond works. Chevy Chase works better than expected.

The only thing I'd really fault Community for is being so down on its subject. I could see "they're all losers cause they go to community college" wearing thin.
post #39 of 1955 Old 09-20-2009, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The only other I can think of is Better Off Ted (which I like) and I can't think of any logical reason ABC renewed that with the exception of the network really, really needed some sitcom content.

Better Off Ted isn't a bad show. It's just a very narrowly targeted type of humor. You either get that show and sit there wheezing from laughing so hard with your face covered in tears and snot bubbles, or else you don't get the show and change the channels within five minutes.

I'd also offer that ABC may be farming Better Off Ted as a source of new patents. After all, hurricane-proof dogs would be pretty badass. And when they're invented, ABC can claim infringement thansk to Better Off Ted.
post #40 of 1955 Old 09-21-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I liked the first episode.

I did notice that in the guide data, the next episode is titled "Pilot". I wonder if they showed them out of order or if they just titled them that way to be funny?

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
post #41 of 1955 Old 09-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

The next episode is titled "Spanish 101".
post #42 of 1955 Old 09-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor View Post

...2.5 Men - hilarious shows...Office - not so much for me...

i think i found your problem...you used Two And A Half Men and hilarious in the same sentence .

"Why is The Flash in a hot tub?"
post #43 of 1955 Old 09-21-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmie View Post

for all the Park & Rec haters, what don't you like about it?

I love the Office and have watched it religiously for its entire run so far. P&R is just not funny IMO. I watched 4 or 5 episodes last season and wasn't laughing at all so, I stopped watching. I find all the characters annoying and I just can't stand Amy Poehler (have never liked her or found her funny at all). I was surprised to see that P&R was renewed.

As far as Community goes, I liked the pilot and will definitely watch it in the weeks to come. It was nice to see Chase in a decent role again. Love Chevy Chase.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #44 of 1955 Old 09-24-2009, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not bad, but disappointed the pilot did not feature Ken Jeong. I love that guy. I'm attaching a picture because, as with Aziz Ansari, people here don't seem to recognize ethnic comic actors:

Like I said, this guy shows up, and the show is much better. That's why it doesn't make sense that he wasn't in the pilot. His name is in the opening credits. Now many have tuned out without seeing the best part.
post #45 of 1955 Old 09-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
What's a ethic actor?
post #46 of 1955 Old 09-25-2009, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 355
Quote:

Like I said, this guy shows up, and the show is much better. That's why it doesn't make sense that he wasn't in the pilot. His name is in the opening credits. Now many have tuned out without seeing the best part.

And in the second episode he was the best part. The rest of it I didn't find that interesting this week.

Well, except the Michel-Gondry-inspired Spanish conversation between Chase and McHale. That was pretty good.

post #47 of 1955 Old 09-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There was no Elaine in the "Seinfeld" pilot. Niles didn't meet Daphne in the "Frasier" pilot. How many tuned out because of that?
post #48 of 1955 Old 09-25-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos2 View Post

There was no Elaine in the "Seinfeld" pilot. Niles didn't meet Daphne in the "Frasier" pilot. How many tuned out because of that?

And James T. Kirk wasn't in the Star Trek pilot.
post #49 of 1955 Old 09-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Killed this season pass after the second episode. Both the wife and were pretty bored and found ourselves not laughing much. We thought it had promise after the first show, but not so much after last night.

Steve
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
My DVDs
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

post #50 of 1955 Old 09-25-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos2 View Post

Even the 90's was a different era. These days the networks seem to be more ratings conscious and if the pilot doesn't do well, especially for a sitcom, the show usually ends with a short life. The networks have plenty of other shows to turn to.

And although you put a smiley face, your question makes me think you do not understand how these things work these days vs. 90's. Back then we didn't have massive hype coming from all directions for every new show. And we didn't have a recognizable comedic face from movies such as Ken Jeong shown in all the hype, and in the opening credits, but notably absent from the pilot. All the hype and ads showed Chevy Chase. If he wasn't in the pilot people would say something. Ken Jeong doesn't appear and nobody seems to care, even though he's the funniest thing in the show, as shown in his debut.

There was very little fanfare for new non-spin off shows in the pre-internet late 80's/90's, such as Seinfeld. Hardly anyone even knew who Jerry Seinfeld was, let alone Julia Louis-Dreyfus when the pilot aired July 5, 1989. Totally unfair comparison IMHO.
post #51 of 1955 Old 09-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

I confess to not knowing how things work. NBC stayed with "3rd Rock from the Sun" even though the ratings sunk lower every year until they finally canceled it after six years when it was ranked #89. I'm grateful to NBC for keeping it that long because it was one of my all-time favorite shows. Then I started watching a show called "Hidden Hills" that I thought was pretty good and the critics liked it, and NBC canceled it without giving them a chance to finish the season.

I forgot to watch "Community" last night, but I watched it twice on the NBC web site today. It was another great episode.
post #52 of 1955 Old 09-26-2009, 12:01 PM

Hilarious show. So much possibility. Much better than Parks.
post #53 of 1955 Old 09-27-2009, 06:54 AM

This episode was a downer from the first week. Not funny at all. Thought P & R was much better. Will give it a few more looks.
post #54 of 1955 Old 09-27-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Asian guys always get stuck with the non descript role, so it's good to see one guy making a career out of playing basically the same wacko character.
post #55 of 1955 Old 09-28-2009, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

So, this is going to be the entire plot of the show, huh? Every episode is going to be some variant of "these people are losers because they go to community college".

It has its moments. But, I have to say it is pretty much the last show I watch on Hulu each week before I decide to do chores I've been putting off. Watchable enough when your alternative is a 31-0 college football game on a rainy Saturday afternoon. Not so sure it will ever contend for my primetime viewing.

A good template for Community, at least in my mind, would be The Big Bang Theory. TBBT got much better as it embraced the strengths of its characters, instead of mocking them. By the current season (third), TBBT barely ever condescends to its characters. As the show went from "we are nerds, blah, blah" to "we are nerds, f--k yeah!" it founds its zone.

I think Community would be a much better show if it could just be about college.

The funniest moments from ep 2 were achieved playing off the protest culture. Community does score double points for the Guatemala joke. Anyone who ever had some college professor assign the diary of Rigoberta Menchu should have gotten some mileage out that one.

The weakest moments were when they were making Chevy Chase look as crazy and dumb as possible. I thought the joke about the presentation being homophobic and anti-Israel was much funnier said than shown. I don't even get the characterization -- if he were a real political conservative returning adult student, his main mental block would be the Clintons, anyhow.

The show is onto something. But, they really need to embrace their subject instead of talking down to it. Right now it doesn't look like that's where the show is going.
post #56 of 1955 Old 09-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

Watchable enough when your alternative is a 31-0 college football game on a rainy Saturday afternoon. Not so sure it will ever contend for my prime time viewing.

As a University of Illinois football fan you have described why I will continue to watch this program after being defeated by Ohio State last weekend by that score.
post #57 of 1955 Old 09-29-2009, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
2nd episode was a bit of a letdown. I hope they don't reboot every episode and have McHale be a jerk for 20 minutes only to become a sweet softy for the final two minutes. That formula is getting old already.

He needs to forget about blondie because the jerk is much more funny.
post #58 of 1955 Old 09-29-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

if he were a real political conservative returning adult student, his main mental block would be the Clintons, anyhow.

Wow, good thing you're not over-analyzing. It's unfortunate, because as we all know, the more analysis, the funnier it gets.
post #59 of 1955 Old 09-29-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruven42 View Post

Wow, good thing you're not over-analyzing. It's unfortunate, because as we all know, the more analysis, the funnier it gets.

Any show that openly flaunts a character with Asperger's Syndrome in its pilot can be over-analyzed into oblivion.
post #60 of 1955 Old 10-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

This is the first week I remembered to watch "Community" (still in progress as I write this) so I won't need to watch the Web version, and next week the show moves to a new time.

That's how to kill a new show. Move it to a new time.

Third episode is very funny so far.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page