"Community" on NBC HD - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1958 Old 02-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Oh if we could only see Alison Brie in the Slave Leia outfit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1958 Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Jackson View Post

Oh if we could only see Alison Brie in the Slave Leia outfit...

I'd settle for seeing her in the brown sock that Britta wore in the Xmas episode.
post #1143 of 1958 Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 427
If you are hovering around a computer with little else to do on Saturday you might find the live stream of the Community panel at Paleyfest a fun time filler. There are panels for other shows you might like being streamed too.

Joel McHale, Gillian Jacobs, Yvette Nicole Brown, Danny Pudi, Ken Jeong, Alison Brie, Jim Rash, Dan Harmon and more.

http://new.livestream.com/paleycenter/community
10:00 PM EST / 7:00 PM PST

http://new.livestream.com/paleycenter

Also coming to Hulu if that's your player of choice.

post #1144 of 1958 Old 02-28-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Jim Rash won an Oscar Sunday.

CW Hinkle
post #1145 of 1958 Old 02-28-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

They need to pimp that in a humorous way in the advertising. Oscar Winner Jim Rash.
post #1146 of 1958 Old 02-28-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

what category?

neflixis our nemesis
post #1147 of 1958 Old 02-28-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

what category?

If I remember correctly, he wrote The Descendants.
post #1148 of 1958 Old 02-28-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Here's him winning...and being awesome: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ertainment_pop
post #1149 of 1958 Old 02-28-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

And in honor of Rash winning an Oscar.

Jeff Deaning the Dean Machine.

post #1150 of 1958 Old 02-28-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

All this talk of Jim got me to pay 2 bucks to iTunes to get the episode where he and Jeff do Karaoke. That bit and one line from the Christmas episode encapsulate everything he is to me: "Oh, Britta's in this?"
post #1151 of 1958 Old 03-04-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.hulu.com/watch/335931/com...eds-master-key

"We're feeling pretty confident," executive producer Russ Krasnoff said Saturday at the PaleyFest panel for Community about a possible fourth-season renewal for the NBC comedy. "Look, it's because of the people who love our show and the fact that they were so upset when it went away... [Also,] the people at NBC love the show."

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Communit...l-1044452.aspx

post #1152 of 1958 Old 03-04-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

They need to pimp that in a humorous way in the advertising. Oscar Winner Jim Rash.

Just saw an ad for the show and they did exactly what I thought they'd do - feature Jim and his Oscar win...and mock him for it.
post #1153 of 1958 Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

http://www.hulu.com/watch/335931/com...eds-master-key

"We're feeling pretty confident," executive producer Russ Krasnoff said Saturday at the PaleyFest panel for Community about a possible fourth-season renewal for the NBC comedy. "Look, it's because of the people who love our show and the fact that they were so upset when it went away... [Also,] the people at NBC love the show."

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Communit...l-1044452.aspx

Arguably the best news I've heard today, even if it is not a definitive answer. Now if only the FRINGE team can start making such proclamations....

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #1154 of 1958 Old 03-08-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

In a world where Community returns in 7 days, only one trailer remains ...

post #1155 of 1958 Old 03-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Awesome trailer. Thanks for sharing!
post #1156 of 1958 Old 03-09-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
post #1157 of 1958 Old 03-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

"We're feeling pretty confident... about a possible fourth-season renewal...the people at NBC love the show."

NBC brings this show back, but places it in the worst time slot of the entire prime time schedule. Against the competition of American Idol, Big Bang Theory, and now March Madness Basketball, this show will be lucky to pull a 1.4 rating. Then, all the cancel/renew debate will start up again.

Typical NBC, a bad network is going to make bad decisions.
post #1158 of 1958 Old 03-09-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Both so awesome

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #1159 of 1958 Old 03-09-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

NBC brings this show back, but places it in the worst time slot of the entire prime time schedule. Against the competition of American Idol, Big Bang Theory, and now March Madness Basketball, this show will be lucky to pull a 1.4 rating. Then, all the cancel/renew debate will start up again.

Yep, we'll be blessed if we get a season 4. Do we know if season 3 is still going to be a "full" season (22-24) episodes?
post #1160 of 1958 Old 03-09-2012, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Do we know if season 3 is still going to be a "full" season (22-24) episodes?

Yes, 22 episodes.

Max Vrany
All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified.
I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of any information given.
GO Pack GO! On Wisconsin! Go Brewers!
post #1161 of 1958 Old 03-09-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedrock View Post

Where would you put it, considering American Idol is on almost every night and all of the other NBC slots are equally suck?

At least people know Thursday is a comedy block on NBC. I don't even notice sitcoms on NBC on other days.

As long as Community stays consistent I think that's the best NBC are hoping for.

post #1162 of 1958 Old 03-09-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Considering Community is NBC's edgiest comedy, I'd put it at 9:30. It has a much better chance against Bones/Finder than it does Idol.
post #1163 of 1958 Old 03-10-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
It will be easier to syndicate with four seasons than with three. That's what I'm hoping for. Plus, you hear about "comedians' comedians"; this is a "sitcommer's sitcom" and hopefully has both powerful allies and brings the network a certain amount of prestige.

CW Hinkle
post #1164 of 1958 Old 03-10-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

In a world where Community returns in 7 days, only one trailer remains ...

You know, all they really had to show was the two second clip of Chang tasering his own crotch. The rest was just bonus.
post #1165 of 1958 Old 03-12-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 180
TV Notes
College's Winter Break Finally Ends
By Bill Carter, The New York Times - Mar. 13, 2012

The NBC comedy Community has finally come to the end of its gap semester.

The show, a collage of pop-culture references and elaborate, inventive parodies involving a group of likable misfit students at a theater-of-the-absurd community college, returns Thursday night, much to the relief of one of the most passionate fan bases in television.

The sitcom's acolytes mostly young, many in college and many among those now outside the reach of conventional audience measurement because they watch online reacted with disbelief when NBC shelved Community in December, midway through its third season. The network replaced it at 8 on Thursday nights with the multiple-Emmy-Award-winner 30 Rock.

But surely no one was as tormented as the show's creator, Dan Harmon, who admitted to being terrified because the episodes on which the show's future now rides the 12 remaining this season are the ones he wrote, he said, while I was so bummed out that we were off the air.

Now that people are throwing ticker-tape parades, giving us a hero's welcome, what if they lay a bomb? he added in a telephone interview from Los Angeles. My stomach is in knots.

Bummed as Mr. Harmon was, he said he welcomed the temporary displacement of Community. He described a purgatory in which no matter what the show tried, it continued to average only four million viewers, about a quarter as many as its CBS competitor, The Big Bang Theory.

The brass wasn't happy, he said. We weren't happy. The audience was confused. So something had to happen, some kind of cardiac event, for life to get renewed.

The event, he said, that brought the show back from near death was a deal in December with the Web site Hulu, making earlier episodes available to an audience that had not yet caught up to them. This experience dovetailed with what he called anecdotal evidence that Community is one of the first shows of the so-called post-television era.

Mr. Harmon said, The most coveted demographic, and most coveted of that demographic, these very smart, upwardly mobile, college-age kids just don't watch TV anymore.

Of course, even if Mr. Harmon is right, and a huge part of the Community audience is going unmeasured, it doesn't help either NBC or the show where it counts: advertising revenue. The sense that perhaps the network could do better was behind the decision to pull the comedy off the air.

The move did not provide evidence of improvement: 30 Rock has fared even worse at that time.

We all watched the ratings for 30 Rock' very carefully, said Joel McHale, a star of Community. He pointed to the competition at that hour, which also includes American Idol on Fox.

Those 30 Rock ratings, Mr. Harmon said, became an objective measure of what those waters are like.

With his cast and with executives at NBC Mr. Harmon enjoys a reputation as a comedy visionary. Dan has created characters who have never existed anywhere else on television, Mr. McHale said, citing both the television-and-film obsessive Abed (Danny Pudi) and the onetime Spanish professor Ben Chang (Ken Jeong), who is now in such deep psychosis he's in love with a charred mannequin leg.

Vernon Sanders, NBC's executive vice president for current programs, said of Mr. Harmon, When someone has that kind of vision, the best thing we can do is support it and try to enhance it.

Mr. Harmon appreciates the praise and said he had no quarrel with NBC's executives, adding that they were supportive beyond the call of duty, especially when they are under such pressure they're in a knife fight with Univision for ratings, for gosh sakes.

But he acknowledged that he had wrestled with himself over his impulse to steer the show into areas not exactly created for mass appeal, like the episode this season that featured seven different timelines, or the one last season based on an elaborate parody of My Dinner With André.

Given the ratings, does he ever think he should cool it a bit with the arcane reference points?

Yup, every day, Mr. Harmon said. I try. I could have a tailspin talking about this. I'm already driving my girlfriend nuts talking about this, talking about this, talking about this: the idea of what my job is supposed to be. Am I supposed to make a show that I would watch? And what does that mean?

TV is a populist medium. The whole point of it that I like is that you're pleasing other people. The customer comes first.

In his mind, Mr. Harmon said, he remains the guy who grew up watching Knight Rider' and Cheers.'* So he is not averse to seeking big ratings.

All I'm saying, he explained, is sometimes your creative instinct is just to make people happy. I'm not Jackson Pollock. I'm not Michelangelo.

He added, Yeah, I have a lot of weird, dark moments when I wonder what the hell I'm doing.

Still, Mr. Harmon and the show's cast sounded confident that the comedy would do enough to earn a senior year at their fictional Greendale Community College.

Because of Dan's vision for this four-year college, if there is a possibility to see it through to at least a fourth season, it would be really cool, said Jim Rash, who plays the bent Dean Pelton on the show.

(Mr. Rash made a minor splash on the Oscar telecast last month when in accepting his award for helping to write the script for The Descendants, he mocked Angelina Jolie's leg display by waving his own tuxedoed leg around. In its usual whimsical way, Community is playing up Mr. Rash's Oscar connection in its current promotions.)

Mr. Harmon said there were also pragmatic factors in favor of Community, led by NBC's desire to see a show it has a financial interest in finish enough episodes to be sold in syndication.

Mr. Sanders said, I wouldn't use the word bubble'* to describe the show's prospects of getting renewed for next season, referring to the industry term for shows with a 50-50 chance for survival.

It remains unlikely, though, that Community will suddenly wade into the mainstream in search of more traditional viewers. Coming episodes revolve around a collegewide pillow fight (substituting for the regular paintball-shootout episode) and a full-scale Law & Order parody.

The thing I'm comfortable with being said about the show as self-loathing as I am is about its ambition, Mr. Harmon said. It swings for the fences. You can always count on it to do that. So there are big whiffs for some people, and there are big, loud cracks sometimes.

And it's because we make the unmarketable decision to kind of approach each episode as though it's an opportunity to make TV history. There's something charming about that, I think.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/ar...ref=television
post #1166 of 1958 Old 03-12-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

It's both hilarious and sad that they just now realized this late in the game that putting their show on free-access sites will garner them more viewers. 30 Rock puts every season on Netflix-on-demand. Community should have done the same from the start. Clearly the 50 dollars-per-season for HD approach was a giant bomb. Sometimes the people running the shows need to be saved from themselves.
post #1167 of 1958 Old 03-14-2012, 03:27 PM

Liked: 11
Comedy Central Acquires Off-Net Rights to 'Community'

Written By Amanda Kondolojy

March 14th, 2012

via press release:

NEW YORK, March 14, 2012 - Greendale Community College's most famous study group will have a new member beginning in 2013 (and it's not Beetlejuice) as COMEDY CENTRAL has reached a multi-year deal with Sony Picture Television to license the critically-acclaimed comedy series "Community," it was announced today by David Bernath, Executive Vice President, Program Strategy & Multiplatform Programming/Dean of Students for COMEDY CENTRAL and [Sony Pictures Television]. The all-comedy channel will launch the series with three seasons beginning in the fall of 2013.

"Within the chaos of the current media landscape we are fortunate that we live in a timeline where 'Community' comes to COMEDY CENTRAL," said Bernath. "Our staff is celebrating with a game of paintball in the offices today."

"Community is a perfect fit for the COMEDY CENTRAL audience," added John Weiser, president, US distribution for Sony Pictures Television.
post #1168 of 1958 Old 03-14-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Do you like Community? Do you like watching people talk about Community for an hour?

Paleyfest panel is now available on Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/338441/com...s-of-community

post #1169 of 1958 Old 03-14-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Does that mean they've picked it up for syndication? Or did they buy the series for new production?
post #1170 of 1958 Old 03-14-2012, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbled View Post

Does that mean they've picked it up for syndication? Or did they buy the series for new production?

Syndication, but based on what might happen in the future you never know.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page