"Community" on NBC HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2009, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 500
I thought it was fine and mildly amusing, but would probably have worked better as a movie. Especially since it reminded me slightly of the movie "Accepted." It also brought back memories of the long canceled Apatow show "Undeclared" which was superior to this.

I can't see this lasting very long and will probably follow the same fate as other laugh-track free single-camera shows like Knights of Prosperity, Andy Richter Controls the Universe, etc.

Is there any market for those shows now, when they are not fronted by a major comedy star? Seems like the swing is heading back to typical studio based multi-camera sitcoms.

And it's good to see (a very old-looking) Chevy Chase apparently resurrecting his career with this and his previous guest slot on Chuck, but how much have the public really been missing him?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It was okay. It started slow but got better during the tutoring session. The lead actor is good. The hot girl who looks like Elizabeth Shue is good. But the best part of the show was Abed. He has some of the best lines in the show.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Is there any market for those shows now, when they are not fronted by a major comedy star?

Scrubs has made it 9 seasons (and counting)

As for the show itself - it was ok - has potential.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I liked it. Definitely enough there to build on.

CW Hinkle
Old 09-17-2009, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

Scrubs has made it 9 seasons (and counting)

I mean new shows. Apart from Parks and Rec (which was basically a charity renewal) how many new single camera shows make it these days?

The only other I can think of is Better Off Ted (which I like) and I can't think of any logical reason ABC renewed that with the exception of the network really, really needed some sitcom content. The same reason Scrubs jumped ship to them.

The single-camera sitcom graveyard is packed with corpses from the last few years.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

I thought it was fine and mildly amusing, but would probably have worked better as a movie.

I liked it, pilot was definitely funny. But where does this show go from here? In 13 episodes, they should pass their Spanish class, and then what? Unless the show ends up like Saved By The Bell, it would have been better from the perspective of the professors rather than the students (Ala, Scrubs is about the doctors, not the patients).

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Old 09-18-2009, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Not bad, but disappointed the pilot did not feature Ken Jeong. I love that guy. I'm attaching a picture because, as with Aziz Ansari, people here don't seem to recognize ethnic comic actors:

Old 09-18-2009, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

But where does this show go from here?

He needs a bachelor's degree. That's at least four years worth of material.

I liked it. I hope it succeeds, but I doubt it will survive for a second season.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 596
I liked it, as a first episode it was kind of awkward but that was expected a little. I liked this A LOT more then Parks and Recreation, so I will be sticking with it for at least a little while. Ken Jeong.comes in next week I beleive (read it in a USA TOday article) so with him added this show might get better.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
for all the Park & Rec haters, what don't you like about it? it's very The Office'ish (not surprising since it's from the same people) and there is A LOT of potential there.

i thought Community was OK...i will give it another week (and re-watch the pilot since i dozed off during it). positives--Chevy Chase seemed funny after years of forgetting how to make people laugh and i really like Joel McHale. negatives--this is one show that might be served better WITH a laugh track, as much as i hate to say it...also, the premise seems to be over thought IMO...why not just have him attending community college? why does he have to be a lawyer who needs a degree from a U.S. college?

personally, i think shows work when there is are simple concepts...Parks & Rec=workers at a gov't office, The Office=workers at a simple office, Scrubs=doctors at a hospital...it's not like JD on Scrubs was at Sacred Heart because his prior residency was bogus and he needed to re-do it. i mean they started it out as "here are some students fresh outta med school and watch as their lives unfold".

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Not bad, but disappointed the pilot did not feature Ken Jeong. I love that guy. I'm attaching a picture because, as with Aziz Ansari, people here don't seem to recognize ethic comic actors...

i completely agree...Ken and Aziz are HYSTERICAL! i first saw Aziz as Ed The Intern on Scrubs...my favorite line from him was :

Intern: You gonna go to the hemoglobin lecture?
Ed: No can do other Indian guy, I'm about to go get some pizza!

also, Aziz was on Jimmy Kimmel Live over the Summer talking about how his (not famous, just a regular Joe) cousin had an ongoing beef with Kanye West via Kayne's blog...hysterical.

"Why is The Flash in a hot tub?"
Old 09-18-2009, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
P&R is too much like The Office. It's Amy Poehler trying to do Steve Carrell doing Michael Scott. Comes off as a cheap knockoff.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

P&R is too much like The Office. It's Amy Poehler trying to do Steve Carrell doing Michael Scott. Comes off as a cheap knockoff.

Poehler's character seems be more self-aware than Carrell's...Leslie Nope comes off as "dorky and she knows it" while Michael Scott comes off as "dorky, but thinks he's cool"...i will agree that they both have the same "i'm doing God's work" approach to their jobs though.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:21 AM

In all fairness, I never made it past about midway through the 2nd episode so it may be different now.

Still haven't seen the "Community" premiere - but I'm a big "Soup" fan, so I'm hoping for the best.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmie View Post

for all the Park & Rec haters, what don't you like about it?

It's tough to stomach. Watched a little bit of it last year, and it just didn't seem like an interesting premise to me. I really wanted to like it, too, because Rashida Jones is hot. Started to watch yesterday's, too, but turned it off after that Amy Pohler rap.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

I liked it. I hope it succeeds, but I doubt it will survive for a second season.

He needs a bachlor's degree from a community college? Community Colleges give out associate's degrees.

Afro GT
Old 09-18-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

It's tough to stomach. Watched a little bit of it last year, and it just didn't seem like an interesting premise to me. I really wanted to like it, too, because Rashida Jones is hot. Started to watch yesterday's, too, but turned it off after that Amy Pohler rap.

I'd watch Rashida Jones writing a sitcom.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

He needs a bachlor's degree from a community college? Community Colleges give out associate's degrees.

i know...that's what i'm saying...they over thought (or in this case, DIDN'T think enough) about the premise. realistically, Joel McHale could have been just an average Joe looking to go back to college...IMO, they don't need an elaborate (and not really that funny) back story.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

i know...that's what i'm saying...they over thought (or in this case, DIDN'T think enough) about the premise. realistically, Joel McHale could have been just an average Joe looking to go back to college...IMO, they don't need an elaborate (and not really that funny) back story.

I think what they are trying to do here is present him as a charismatic lawyer used to manipulating people who can apply his skills to this new environment. At the same time finding that it only takes him so far and that other people can now use the same tactics against him. As shown with the test scores and his Lexus.

There's probably a cheesy life lesson to be learned at some point.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think what they are trying to do here is present him as a charismatic lawyer used to manipulating people who can apply his skills to this new environment. At the same time finding that it only takes him so far and that other people can now use the same tactics against him. As shown with the test scores and his Lexus.

I agree with this. I actually like the premise of him being a lawyer that needs to go to school, that's an interesting back story. And, as they reveal in this episode, each character has an interesting backstory (The old guy, the dropout, the football jock, the mother, etc...) Nothing wrong with establishing backstories. Even Scrubs characters had backstories (JD child of divorced parents, Elliot spoiled brat, Carla independent woman).

What I hope this show is able to do though is come up with a reason for having an episode each week. Right now, all that connects these folks is Spanish class. Hopefully, they become friends, maybe we can see some of their home life, that way we care about them when Spanish class is over.

Reminds me of Carpoolers, which I thought was a funny show and was disappointed when it got canceled.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

for all the Park & Rec haters, what don't you like about it? it's very The Office'ish (not surprising since it's from the same people) and there is A LOT of potential there.

I love The Office, I love the original BBC Office and own the DVDs. I love Better off Ted. I love Amy Poehler. I like Rashida Jones. I watched the first 4 episodes of Parks and Rec and It just was not that funny to me. Plus I just don't see how pushing a rope in a local government is funny enough to go on for long. Too mind numbing, at least the way P&R took it on. My wife and I were like, "we are the target audience for this show, we should like it, why don;t we?" SO we quit watching.

We are holding out hope for Community.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
Old 09-18-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Many Community Colleges have begun offering bachelor's degrees.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

I watched the last part of it by accident because I switched over to watch Leno a few minutes too soon.

Actually, it looked good. Since the episodes are available for free on NBC's web site, I'll probably watch the part I missed.

Presumably the web version will not have the very annoying Leno bug on the screen, so it might even be better even though it's not HD.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm confused. What community colleges offer 4yr programs? I thought they were 2yr associate degrees? (Or is that part of the joke too?)

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Wow! I just watched the web version. Great pilot episode. Even "Seinfeld" didn't have a pilot that good. I'm willing to trade HD to get the lousy bugs off the screen, and the web commercials were short and not at all annoying.

I don't get all of the cultural references. What is "Breakfast Club" and who is Elizabeth Shoe?

I need Cliff Notes. But that is true for "South Park" also and I really like "South Park."
Old 09-18-2009, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The Breakfast Club is a John Hughes film starrning the 80's "brat pack" actors; a film that thinks it is much more profound than it really is, though it has a big following by gen-Xers who were young then. It's set in a school library.

Elizabeth Shue is a reasonably appealing actress who starred in Adventures in Babysitting and Leaving Las Vegas, among other films, and yes, she does resemble the actress in Community.

CW Hinkle
Old 09-18-2009, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It had good ratings for NBC last night, about the only one that exceeded expectations on there. So, it has at least a few more eps left.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

for all the Park & Rec haters, what don't you like about it?

It's not funny. That does it for me. I like the cast. I like the premise. But the writing is just not good.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

In "3rd Rock from the Sun" Dick had the same students in his physics class for six years.

There are no time limits in sitcoms.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

The girl who looks like Elizabeth Shue is very pleasing to the eyes, but everything else is a FAIL in this show.

The daily show UK reporter guy acting like a teacher was good too.

The main actor is a douche and not very funny.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 415
I enjoyed the show, but I did not laugh as much as I thought I would.