post #271 of 525 Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

last episode was pretty entertaining. i just wish they would lose a case once in a while.

My wife and I decided that the character Elsbeth Tascioni needs her own show. We love the way she is written as appearing absolutely moon bat crazy, but always turns out to be the smartest person in the room. Very entertaining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 525 Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27

I agree on Elsbeth being a great character.  It appears she may be back for a few episodes, given the end scene last week.  I'd love to see her made a full time character. 

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #273 of 525 Old 01-20-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 188
And what a fine actress Carrie Preston is. Just this year we've seen her as this wacky lawyer, as Finch's lost love on "Person of Interest," and of course as Arlene on "True Blood." Three characters so different from one another that I have to force myself to remember it's the same actress.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #274 of 525 Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

And what a fine actress Carrie Preston is. Just this year we've seen her as this wacky lawyer, as Finch's lost love on "Person of Interest," and of course as Arlene on "True Blood." Three characters so different from one another that I have to force myself to remember it's the same actress.

OMG - I just realized that she is both Elsbeth and Arlene!  I have never been so surprised by my own lack of recognition.  Usually I notice this sort of thing, but completely missed this.  Outstanding.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #275 of 525 Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

OMG - I just realized that she is both Elsbeth and Arlene!  I have never been so surprised by my own lack of recognition.  Usually I notice this sort of thing, but completely missed this.  Outstanding.

It would be interesting to see Finch's lost love and Elsbeth"s number come up at the same time on POI. Now that would be something!
post #276 of 525 Old 02-19-2013, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Alicia and Will still have the hots for each other.She also seems to be out to get what she feels entitled too.I hope we will get to see what happens next year It is not a good sign that CBS is showing a rerun next week because its still sweeps month.Cancellation may come to Wife,Mentalist,or Csi. We shall see.
post #277 of 525 Old 02-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post

Alicia and Will still have the hots for each other.She also seems to be out to get what she feels entitled too.I hope we will get to see what happens next year It is not a good sign that CBS is showing a rerun next week because its still sweeps month.Cancellation may come to Wife,Mentalist,or Csi. We shall see.

the oscars are on at the same time
post #278 of 525 Old 02-19-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

She's also Michael Emerson's wife in real life.
post #279 of 525 Old 02-19-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I have ZERO desire to see Alicia and Will together in any form. The ending I'd like to see is Peter and Alicia together as a power couple, warts and all. He in the Governor's office she as a partner in the law firm wheeling and dealing.
yankeeman likes this.
post #280 of 525 Old 02-19-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post

Alicia and Will still have the hots for each other.She also seems to be out to get what she feels entitled too.

I thought it was a stellar episode. Most are pretty good but with this one all of the various threads (sub-plots) were strong. Even bringing back one of the characters felt in place (Eli's lawyer). The gray used in the show is wonderful. Alicia bonding with the other fourth years until she was granted access (alone)... I can fight for you guys... yeah thanks. The why did I allow myself... after Will... just so nice to see characters that aren't caricatures.

post #281 of 525 Old 02-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
i thought it was a really good episode too..........until alicia and will kissed....i'm with Matt L there. don't want to see that. and i thought it was odd that alicia and cary didn't see right through the partners divide and conquer strategy.
post #282 of 525 Old 02-19-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

I have ZERO desire to see Alicia and Will together in any form. The ending I'd like to see is Peter and Alicia together as a power couple, warts and all. He in the Governor's office she as a partner in the law firm wheeling and dealing.

I tend to see that as Alicia never growing into herself.. at least following the path she has the last couple of years. To my thinking Peter equals the kids and her relationship with him is largely based on what's best for them. As the kids get older and she becomes stronger I see her as having little left to give Peter. If you remember the elevator scene (one with Peter)... I think that said it all.

Peter knows it’s over. “Okay, Alicia, have at it. You’re the injured one,” he says, the elevator doors closing on him as Alicia screams, “Say something! Say something that will make me fall in love with you again.”

She wasn't asking she was damming him... if she ever went back to him she would be leaving herself... to a degree.

post #283 of 525 Old 02-19-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

and i thought it was odd that alicia and cary didn't see right through the partners divide and conquer strategy.

Of course they did. Alicia's weak rationalization, and Cary's grudging assent, made it clear.

This is not a show about heroic, altruistic lawyers fighting for the disenfranchised and downtrodden. There may be room for heroics and personal ethics, but only within the narrow confines of a profit-making law firm with a clear priority to win at any cost that doesn't threaten their continued existence as a company. Alicia and Cary have both bought into this ethos, and that last scene between them beautifully encapsulated their full understanding that getting ahead is everyone's first priority.

The idea of the fourth-years banding together was not some sort of class struggle for justice. It was a way for them to maximize the effect of what power they had. At that point they thought they could all become equity partners. They weren't fighting for each other; they were fighting for themselves, together. "All or none" was never on the table.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #284 of 525 Old 02-19-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I thought it was a stellar episode. Most are pretty good but with this one all of the various threads (sub-plots) were strong. Even bringing back one of the characters felt in place (Eli's lawyer). The gray used in the show is wonderful. Alicia bonding with the other fourth years until she was granted access (alone)... I can fight for you guys... yeah thanks. The why did I allow myself... after Will... just so nice to see characters that aren't caricatures.
I agree, a great episode on one of the best shows on broadcast TV!
While I really like the show I find the advertisements CBS runs for the GW very misleading. They always like to sex up Alicia(who looks quite good sexed up) but she really never wears the clothes in the program they like to show her in the preview.........they also like to show her with a come hither look which again she rarely if ever shows on the actual program. I guess they are trying the old "sex sells" route but I wonder if it really works for the target audience of this program which I assume is mostly women? Not saying I'm against the content of the ads but I just wonder if they actually help.....
post #285 of 525 Old 03-24-2013, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Tonight episode was stellar. Too many good things to cover... perhaps the best yet. And apparently those wishing for the marriage to last got their wish.

post #286 of 525 Old 03-24-2013, 11:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 371
It was very good indeed, Julianna Margulies is a rather spectacular actress, she was pretty much the whole show tonight, others were there of course, but only as very peripheral characters, well done!
post #287 of 525 Old 03-25-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

It was very good indeed, Julianna Margulies is a rather spectacular actress, she was pretty much the whole show tonight, others were there of course, but only as very peripheral characters, well done!

She has won several awards for the show but I have never really given her much thought. However, last night she was outstanding. The writers were really brilliant as they took multiple plot lines and stirred them into a tale that resolved a few, started a few, flowed frantically and calmly all at once.

post #288 of 525 Old 03-25-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

A treat to see John Noble, even if his role was too limited. The writing was stellar.

Always a pleasure to see Matthew Perry as the sociopathic sleazeball gubernatorial candidate. And Stockard Channing as Hippie Grandma. And Amanda Peet, always. Alicia's flashbacks were, umm, revealing... and the subtext delineating the destructive potential of sexual obsession was drawn with delicous, tragic subtlety.

And that knockout scene in the men's room, along with the glee with which everyone embraced its "deniability!"

I love this show.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #289 of 525 Old 03-25-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I loved it when Alicia told the police detective to "go f*^k himself."
post #290 of 525 Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I enjoyed the show too, but I seriously wanted to punch out those stupid singing cops....
post #291 of 525 Old 03-25-2013, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I enjoyed the show too, but I seriously wanted to punch out those stupid singing cops....

For me it had a Eyes Wide Shut vibe and the singing cop fit right in. Sort of embraced St. Patrick's day as the glue holding all of the events together.

post #292 of 525 Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I know it was done for effect, but it took me out of the story just a bit. There was so much going on it was distracting.
post #293 of 525 Old 03-26-2013, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

For me it had a Eyes Wide Shut vibe and the singing cop fit right in. Sort of embraced St. Patrick's day as the glue holding all of the events together.
It did bother me just a bit that the St. Patrick's day show was exactly one week late. Why didn't CBS show it on the correct date?
post #294 of 525 Old 03-26-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

It did bother me just a bit that the St. Patrick's day show was exactly one week late. Why didn't CBS show it on the correct date?

Come on. I presume you don't watch any period pieces? :)

Quote:

I know it was done for effect, but it took me out of the story just a bit. There was so much going on it was distracting.

The distractions (for me) was a big part of the episode. To a degree it helped you get closer to Alicia's state of mind. 

post #295 of 525 Old 03-26-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

That's what bothered you? Not that Catholic formal charity events are never held on Sundays (which St. Patrick's Day was this year), and even if they were, no sane event planner would pick St. Patrick's Day in Chicago as the date to have one?

This is an alternate universe. In the real world, the Illinois gubernatorial election is in 2014. In "The Good Wife" universe, this past Sunday *was* St. Patrick's day, and the Archdiocese of Chicago has a whole different set of standards and practices.

Or maybe it wasn't Sunday there.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #296 of 525 Old 03-26-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is an alternate universe.

I can never find the quote but Roger Ebert once stated in a review something to the affect... as long as the story doesn't break its own rules it's believable... such as its universe shouldn't be questioned (or compared to ours).

post #297 of 525 Old 03-26-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's what bothered you? Not that Catholic formal charity events are never held on Sundays (which St. Patrick's Day was this year), and even if they were, no sane event planner would pick St. Patrick's Day in Chicago as the date to have one?

This is an alternate universe. In the real world, the Illinois gubernatorial election is in 2014. In "The Good Wife" universe, this past Sunday *was* St. Patrick's day, and the Archdiocese of Chicago has a whole different set of standards and practices.

Or maybe it wasn't Sunday there.
No, not being Catholic that would have never occurred to me (before anybody jumps in, I didn't say I'm not religious, just not Catholic). All I'm saying is that the St. Patrick's Day episode should have been shown on or before the actual "holiday." In Indianapolis, the St. Patrick's Day Parade was on Friday, March 15. In New York and Chicago (I believe), the Parade was on Saturday, March 16. Wouldn't it have made more sense for CBS to show the episode on St. Patrick's Day or even the week before?

But, what frustrates me even more than that is how somebody makes what is meant to be an innocent or well meaning comment and then has other folks on here come and jump their butt for no good reason. That's what REALLY bothers me. mad.gif
post #298 of 525 Old 03-26-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Now that I think of it, this was the same evening as the previous episode, which clearly took place during the week. So in TGW universe, St. Patrick's Day was on a Friday, which makes this either two years ago or five years from now.

PS: BoilerJim, welcome to the Internet. tongue.gif

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #299 of 525 Old 03-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

PS: BoilerJim, welcome to the Internet. tongue.gif
With over 5000 posts, I think he's been here a while. Not sure why he's so shocked at the behavior.
post #300 of 525 Old 03-26-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

With over 5000 posts, I think he's been here a while. Not sure why he's so shocked at the behavior.
Exactly where did I say I was shocked? confused.gif That kinda reminds me of an exercise we used to do at work where we would be in a meeting and I'd whisper a very short story to the guy next to me, he'd whisper it to the person next to him, etc., etc. By the time the story got to the last person, he'd have to tell it out loud. Invariably, the story would be completely different by the time it got to the last person.

P.S. After 5,000+ posts, nothing on here shocks me any more. wink.gif
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page