3Likes

post #361 of 572 Old 10-14-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211

My take on "A Precious Commodity”...

• With so much action within the law firm it wouldn't hurt to not have a case of the week (once in a while). Mix it up a little...
  • Even though I love the show's grayness once in a while a little black & white couldn't hurt. Such as the surrogate suggesting 100k might do after fighting the good fight.
  • It's a good thing there are so many (interesting) story arcs colliding but Alicia appears to be a ping pong ball at times.
  • Peter's ethics scandal appeared to heat up rather fast. Both sides advancing or reacting rather quickly.
  • Will and Diane look rather reserved about their spat especially considering the previews and how Will reacts to...

Overall a great episode and they are three for three this season and it appears the tension will only increase. A lot of cast members got to step up last night and they all scored.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 572 Old 10-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I think my favorite scene was kalinda finding out alicia was leaving.
post #363 of 572 Old 10-15-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90
According to a Zap2it link I read it sounds like the Good Wife is listed as Cancellation Predicted confused.gif I thought it had solid ratings, hope they didn't know what they were talking about. I consider the GW to be one of the best programs on TV and look forward to it every week smile.gif
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/10/13/bubble-watch-wonderland-beauty-the-beast-nashville-head-for-cancellation-tomorrow-people-towards-renewal/208615/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29&utm_content=FaceBook
post #364 of 572 Old 10-15-2013, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I wish they would just Shedule 60 minutes, The Good Wife and the Mentalist in the 8, 9 and 10PM slots during football season. That way viewers would have at least a reasonable expectation of the show starting as scheduled. They could add the Amazing race in January and let in run through May.
post #365 of 572 Old 10-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

According to a Zap2it link I read it sounds like the Good Wife is listed as Cancellation Predicted confused.gif I thought it had solid ratings, hope they didn't know what they were talking about. I consider the GW to be one of the best programs on TV and look forward to it every week smile.gif

The Good Wife, IMHO, is as good or better than ever. Of course, my lady and I are in the "Geezer" catagory, and Sunday and Friday nights are traditionally where shows go to die.
That being said, there is an audience for GW and if it does come down to GW or the Mentalist getting the axe, I know where my vote (FWIW) goes.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #366 of 572 Old 10-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post

I wish they would just Shedule 60 minutes, The Good Wife and the Mentalist in the 8, 9 and 10PM slots during football season. That way viewers would have at least a reasonable expectation of the show starting as scheduled. They could add the Amazing race in January and let in run through May.

Works for us folks on PST, but for EST people, that would entail joining 60 Minutes in progress if the game goes long. CBS is not going to truncate 60 minutes anywhere.
According to sources quoted elsewhere, The Good Wife and/or the Mentalist are on the chopping block. If one or both go, some flexibility could result.
Personally, I don't care whee The Amazing Race ends up, as long as it doesn't interfere with shows I actually like. wink.gif

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #367 of 572 Old 10-15-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My take is its ratings have never been strong and at this point they have enough invested in the series what's another year or two. :) They recently signed several syndication deals so hopefully they make continuing worthwhile. I believe CBS owns the show so that helps. And I can't believe it's one of more expensive dramas to produce salary wise. Julianna a couple of years back was well under 200k an episode.

Time slot is becoming (almost) irrelevant with DVRs adding huge numbers of viewers... ones the network are even getting paid for. Now getting delayed on a regular basis I think is a big deal. You pretty much have to work to view the show and I can't imagine how many viewers have been lost along the way. Although CBS knowing anything will struggle with its current time slot might be a good reason to leave it on. Nothing will do much better and it does come with some prestige.

post #368 of 572 Old 10-15-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
TGW is one of the best done programs on TV ever IMO. I set my DVR every week for this and add 90 minutes on the end, so that even if the football runs over, I don't miss it. Plus, people can watch this on ON DEMAND now, I'm guessing. It may be more expensive to produce just because clearly their production values are sky high on this.
post #369 of 572 Old 10-15-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 122
It is a shame if a show this consistent is on the chopping block. It's a well done show with a strong cast and still has potential to go in a lot of different directions.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #370 of 572 Old 10-16-2013, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
I think Alicia wants to move the departure up so the new firm can "scoop" up Diane into the firm before she joins the Supreme Court. Having a sitting SC judge as a member of a new firm would really help land new customers and I think it would piss off Will off even more.
post #371 of 572 Old 10-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post

I think Alicia wants to move the departure up so the new firm can "scoop" up Diane into the firm before she joins the Supreme Court. Having a sitting SC judge as a member of a new firm would really help land new customers and I think it would piss off Will off even more.

maybe, but my take was that she saw how Will was treating Diane and didn't want to find herself in that spot in the future.
post #372 of 572 Old 10-16-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

Having a sitting SC judge as a member of a new firm would really help land new customers

Is that even legal? Can a supreme court judge hold a position in a law firm? I wouldn't think so.
post #373 of 572 Old 10-16-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Is that even legal? Can a supreme court judge hold a position in a law firm? I wouldn't think so.
Even if it were legal I don't think it would be wise, I doubt anyone from the new firm would be able to take a case to the SC as it would be a conflict of interest.
post #374 of 572 Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

Judges can't have commercial interests. Even their past commercial interests often rise up to haunt them. Diane would have been quitting anyway.

Alicia is in a hurry because now she's under pressure from Will to agree to replace Diane as Managing Partner, and she can't explain saying "no" without further lying, which she's increasingly uncomfortable with.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #375 of 572 Old 10-20-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Next week should be the real blow-up but this week should still be entertaining...

So far this season, no series has been more entertaining than this CBS courtroom drama as it barrels its way toward the law firm's looming breakup. Among its many pleasures, notice how subtly it makes some of its points: For example, the way we were allowed to infer that Will's demeaning treatment of Diane was the final straw for Alicia, without Alicia having to spell it out for us. This is a show that trusts its audience, and that trust is almost always rewarded.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2013/10/20/critics-corner-oct-20/2995063/

post #376 of 572 Old 10-20-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Great show tonight! Always love it when Carie Preston shows up. At the end I was wondering exactly which way Diane would turn -- walk straight into Will's office or turn and walk away. It could easily have played out the other way. Either choice had and has a great many story implications.
post #377 of 572 Old 10-21-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"Outside the Bubble"

The already frenzied pace gained steam spinning all the way to the season's dramatic announcement. All the arcs intertwined into a hurricane about to strike Alicia.

Great episode. Miscellaneous thoughts...

• Loved Will and Alicia's remembrance. Alicia's face certainly expressed her desire. It will only heighten the coming spat.
  • The case of the week along with everything else evolved squarely around Lockhart/Gardner. Bringing the firm front and center as it comes under attack.
  • When push comes to shove Diane can't help but defend her firm. Taking our clients...
  • Each week Eli gets smoother and Alan Cumming breathes the role.
  • Tons of great one-liners including Alicia's "My mistake." downloading Diane's files.
  • Is Florrick/Agos already corrupt beyond Lockhard/Gardner? The idealism didn't last long.
  • Diane's closing scene was a great payoff. Anyone who has built a business will experience the identical emotions.

The whistle had blown. Let the game begin...
post #378 of 572 Old 10-22-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

They sure know how to keep up a frantic pace with interesting plots all around.  The return of Carrie Preston is always welcome and the coming divisive situations are going to be fun to watch.  The one 'weak' spot for me has been the quickly dissolving group of 4th years and their new firm.  For some folks so deeply committed to their principles and goals, they are already justifying basic theft and arguing over $$$ and how to split it up.  Surely Alicia will not really align with them in the end and the real drama will be how she, Cary, Will and Diane resolve their collective situation.  The recurring snarky role of David Lee is terrific as the divorce lawyer with absolutely no conscience and proud of it.  Great stuff and I hope renewal is in the works, but as this show is constantly on the bubble and, given the frantic race to a new setup, I fear they are writing with a fervor of a group that knows this is likely their last season.  All shows should be so good.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #379 of 572 Old 10-22-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

The one 'weak' spot for me has been the quickly dissolving group of 4th years and their new firm.  For some folks so deeply committed to their principles and goals, they are already justifying basic theft and arguing over $$$ and how to split it up.  Surely Alicia will not really align with them in the end and the real drama will be how she, Cary, Will and Diane resolve their collective situation. 

These are still greedy lawyers. They care about principles when the principles seem to benefit them. But for most of these 4th-year associates, the new firm is not about principle, it's about getting ahead faster in a new, fast-rising firm with the Florrick name on the logo than they can in an old established firm with dozens of partners clogging the top level.

IMO, Alicia's motivations may be more complex and colored by her need to get out of Will's proximity, but she has demonstrated plenty of times that she is not driven by some higher set of principles. She believes in the law, and she believes in justice, but she won't sacrifice a client, even one she knows is guilty. Her current dilemma is how to get what she wants without lying outright (which is "over the line" for her), but she's already done so anyway.

I agree that the seeds they've planted in these first episodes are very promising. When Diane is appointed to the Supreme Court, her confirmation hearings in the Illinois Legislature should be a hoot, with her history and her association with the 2nd Amendment hardcore. Alicia's deception and the other associates' duplicity should set up a battle royale between LG and the new firm, which can only play out in court. I just hope they don't wander too far into soapy territory with the Governor and the ethics woman.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #380 of 572 Old 10-22-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

For some folks so deeply committed to their principles and goals, they are already justifying basic theft and arguing over $$$ and how to split it up.

If nothing else the show is about grayness. Perfect example was Will only having sex in his office once. They analyzed it to the point they could live with (justify) the desired outcome. If they needed to be get more creative they would have...

I find their breakdown to be very believable. It's the first opportunity they have had to express their actual wants and desires... being in a place of power that allows such. I find the internal struggles interesting and largely reflect my experience from working with firms (some legal) over the years. Virtually every character on the show is given enough depth to show their true personality which makes it enjoyable. I think this is why it was selected as the 50th Best-Written TV Series of All Time. :) 

post #381 of 572 Old 10-22-2013, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hurry up next week.
post #382 of 572 Old 10-24-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post

Hurry up next week.

A little preview... some may consider a spoiler or two...

post #383 of 572 Old 10-28-2013, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Wow, last night's episode was absolutely amazing!!! So, whose side is Kalinda really on?? confused.gif
post #384 of 572 Old 10-28-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Good Wife Watch: This Means War

A civil war breaks out in the office, and "Hitting the Fan" proves, if there was any doubt, why The Good Wife is currently the best thing on TV outside cable

With Breaking Bad no longer on TV, The Good Wife is now the reigning champ for consistently best opening scenes on television. (Breaking Bad was known for its short “cold opens”; The Good Wife opens hot, with the opener dragging out until you’ve forgotten the credits haven’t come yet, building and crescendoing into the opening titles.)

Read more: http://entertainment.time.com/2013/10/28/the-good-wife-watch-this-means-war/#ixzz2j1STevoc

post #385 of 572 Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Wow, last night's episode was absolutely amazing!!! So, whose side is Kalinda really on?? confused.gif

I think she is going to be the mole at Lockett-Gardner.
post #386 of 572 Old 10-28-2013, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Kalinda will do what ever helps Kalina. Great show last night!
post #387 of 572 Old 10-28-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Terrific episode and lots of surprises.  Probably the best written/acted series on the nets and right up there with some of the better cable shows.  (Recall when that trend used to be reversed?)

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #388 of 572 Old 10-28-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think they have done a very good job of putting you in the eye of the storm. Will's speechlessness sealed the past and fueled the fight to survive a massive tornado. As much as he feels it's personal it's entirely business. Heck Diane can undermine him and the firm and he can come to terms with it but not a full frontal attack by someone not deserving or worthwhile.

Alicia's gut reaction to embrace and represent criminal clients the moment her new firm is threatened shows she has grown equal to the big boys. It took four years but she looks plenty prepared to fight. Obviously the show is Alicia centric but she could use some real help from Cary and the others. I guess the Governor will have to pitch in and help tilt the scales of justice.

In some ways I miss the old school slow moving drama although right now I don't have time to think of anything outside of surviving the next few rounds. :) 

post #389 of 572 Old 10-28-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39
AWESOME episode. I hope it earns someone an Emmy. With this and POI, CBS has a lock on things!

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #390 of 572 Old 10-29-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone think Florrick & Agos will merge with Lockhart & Gardner? My guess if the show runs a few more seasons it's not a bad bet. How about Peter he is already jumping in head first... I wonder how the additional exposure as Governor will play out... hopefully it comes into play.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page