post #511 of 525 Old 05-07-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Speaking of which... Everybody knows that Fox has Parkinson's Disease. He's given well-done performances on this show and Rescue Me since announcing that he has Parkinson's. So why do the Good Wife writers have this running joke of Fox trying to get sympathy in court for having "a disease called tardive dyskinesia"? Tardive dyskinesia is a permanent neurological injury caused by taking certain antipsychotic medications, and neither Fox nor the character he plays on the show are psychotic. So why doesn't the character simply invoke Parkinson's Disease to get sympathy?

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000685.htm

I don't consider it a joke, nor do I believe it is intended to be one. Why should every character Fox plays have to have Parkinson's? There is no back-story that precludes the character having had a reason to take such medications, and the symptoms Fox portrays (intentionally or not) are consistent with what's scripted.

If an actor has a visible disability it probably can's be realistically ignored, but there's no reason the character's story has to be the same as the actor's.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 525 Old 05-07-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

I don't consider it a joke, nor do I believe it is intended to be one. Why should every character Fox plays have to have Parkinson's? There is no back-story that precludes the character having had a reason to take such medications, and the symptoms Fox portrays (intentionally or not) are consistent with what's scripted.

If an actor has a visible disability it probably can's be realistically ignored, but there's no reason the character's story has to be the same as the actor's.

Oh, I think it's clearly intended to be a joke--note that Alicia and Diane always roll their eyes when he tries this in court. It's also played for laughs when a judge cuts him off in the middle of this tactic. And it is clearly a sympathy-gathering tactic by Fox's character. The joke is that the character exploits his disability as a cheap legal tactic, not that he has a disability.

As far as "backstory" goes, to say that there is no backstory that precludes a history of schizophrenia is true, but it's also true that there is no backstory that precludes the character being an alien or a reincarnated goat. In fact, giving the character tardive dyskinesia inevitably gives him a backstory of a history of taking medication (probably longterm) for psychosis, since prolonged use of certain antipsychotic medications is AFAIK the only way to get tardive dyskinesia. And if that is what the writers intended, then the joke is cruel and at the expense of individuals with severe mental illness--which I doubt is what's going on here.

No, I think there must be an error that someone made in giving the character tardive dyskinesia. I mean, this show, like many TV dramas, has errors now and then, such as one of the attorneys in the last episode exercising a "pre-emptory" challenge to bounce a juror (should have been "peremptory").

P.S. I have been a mental health professional for 30+ years.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #513 of 525 Old 05-07-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh, I think it's clearly intended to be a joke--note that Alicia and Diane always roll their eyes when he tries this in court. It's also played for laughs when a judge cuts him off in the middle of this tactic. And it is clearly a sympathy-gathering tactic by Fox's character. The joke is that the character exploits his disability as a cheap legal tactic, not that he has a disability.

As far as "backstory" goes, to say that there is no backstory that precludes a history of schizophrenia is true, but it's also true that there is no backstory that precludes the character being an alien or a reincarnated goat. In fact, giving the character tardive dyskinesia inevitably gives him a backstory of a history of taking medication (probably longterm) for psychosis, since prolonged use of certain antipsychotic medications is AFAIK the only way to get tardive dyskinesia. And if that is what the writers intended, then the joke is cruel and at the expense of individuals with severe mental illness--which I doubt is what's going on here.

No, I think there must be an error that someone made in giving the character tardive dyskinesia. I mean, this show, like many TV dramas, has errors now and then, such as one of the attorneys in the last episode exercising a "pre-emptory" challenge to bounce a juror (should have been "peremptory").

P.S. I have been a mental health professional for 30+ years.

A sympathy-garnering tactic, for sure. One that many of the characters have heard too many times before, sure; thus the eye-rolling. Maybe you mean something different when you use the phrase "running joke."

I have no basis to dispute your professional expertise; my objection was not to any possiblemedical inaccuracy, but rather to your suggestion that Fox can now only play characters with Parkinson's.

(As an aside, I learned long ago to avoid shows -- or even news reports -- that deal in subjects about which I have in-depth professional knowledge. More recently, I have learned not to let TV writers' inevitable mistakes get in the way of my enjoyment of a good story.)

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #514 of 525 Old 05-08-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Given the nature of the Good Wife... I wouldn't be surprised IF they keep Fox around a lot that they eventually do go into some backstory for him. So I don't know if you can just discount it as a "mistake"... they may have always had a plan... but Fox sometimes is unable to work either because of his Parkinson's OR because he has other work (like his NBC show there for a bit).

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #515 of 525 Old 05-15-2014, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Enough of Fox already. mad.gif Are these the same writers as in the previous seasons?
I Just haven't liked the last few broadcasts and the direction that has been taken. It all seems so discombobulated.
To many shallow sub-stories... umm that leave me somewhat careless. rolleyes.gif
Can anyone see Diane going with Florick, Agos and Associates with Kalinda if the ouster is successful?wink.gif
post #516 of 525 Old 05-15-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I dont see Diane leaving the firm ,maybe Kalinda. I think Peter will not fool around with the red-headed assistant. But it would be very interesting to see Alicias' reaction.
post #517 of 525 Old 05-16-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post

I think Peter will not fool around with the red-headed assistant. But it would be very interesting to see Alicias' reaction.

She gave him the green light and unless it blew-up she would be fine. Of which Eli already told him it would at some point... The upheaval is expected as the passing of Will plays out and obviously Louis has a big part. 

post #518 of 525 Old 05-19-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, now.

Diane and Alicia have always been reasonably sympatico, despite occasional conflicts. Whereas Cary has (despite his partnership with Alicia) always been in conflict with both women. The finale sets up a real conundrum for Agos, who needs to work with them both in order to save his firm just at a moment when he'd like to see Alicia in his rear-view mirror, and would be happy to never see Diane again at all.

Or... is it Lockhart/Agos, with Alicia the new State's Attorney? Seems unlikely. How is Alicia even electable to the office formerly held by her husband (and from which he went to prison)? And why on earth would she want it? Well, she's tired. Of everything, or just the in-fighting of a law firm? Doesn't seem like entering politics is a way to find simplicity and peace. But the show spent a lot of time fleshing out the milieu of the State's Attorney's office, so I expect them to spend some time with this next season.

The mothers: priceless. People seemed to like the lasagna. Good to see the back of Zack, a character the show didn't have much use for. Meanwhile, Grace is starting to look like a young Alicia, isn't she? Wonder what the writers are planning.

This show needs more Nathan Lane and less Michael J. Fox.

I expect Season 6 to be a lot about Cary. Events have placed him at the center of everything.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #519 of 525 Old 05-19-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Last night was an excellent finale to an excellent season.
post #520 of 525 Old 05-19-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17

With Diane moving, I hope they spend less time with L&G story lines.  Although if Finn was supposed to replace Will, the triangle may continue. . 

Cary is more suited to run for State's Attorney.  Former Deputy State's Attorney, and a lobbyist dad.  Cary never stays on the same side as Alicia for long, and if he's State's Attorney, it sets up more conflict in the Alicia / Finn / Peter relationship. And more opportunity for Kalinda the spy.

post #521 of 525 Old 05-19-2014, 10:29 AM

Liked: 21
As Gomer would say,'' Surprise.Surprise''. Eli has the greatest looks,you could almost read his mind about Alicia.
post #522 of 525 Old 05-19-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

My take on the season finale...

• As a season finale it inherently builds tension that will disappear as quickly as the new season begins
  • Loved the teleconference dilemma as it instantly brought out the true personality of those involved
  • You can easily see the season has worn on Alicia
  • The drinking moms worked nicely although it felt like it was crammed into the episode

The possible mergers, switching partners and whatnot don't hold a lot of interest for me. As the players are going to remain virtually the same regardless of where they play. I do have some interest in how it comes about...

One great season and with a renewal in place I'm sure we are heading for yet another.

post #523 of 525 Old 05-19-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Has anyone mentioned what a totally excellent performance Zach Grenier gives every week as a lizard in a lawyer suit? I half-expect him to open his jaw really wide and eat a hamster or two à la V.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #524 of 525 Old 05-19-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Has anyone mentioned what a totally excellent performance Zach Grenier gives every week as a lizard in a lawyer suit?

It's a compliment no one has... he plays the part so well you don't think he is acting. I find Graham Phillips to be very believable... always comes across as grounded, smart and leaving no doubt who his parents are... best watch out for him in a few years as he could be a force.

post #525 of 525 Old 05-21-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
I was also impressed with Matt Czuchry's performance as Cary Agos. He is a baby shark starting to flex his muscles. In his picture in IMDB he's even wearing a sharkskin suit. biggrin.gif

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page