Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #541 of 597 Old 09-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Anyone think the recording was obtained from when the NSA was capturing their calls?

Lenny Venito (formerly of The Neighbors) was Cary's favorite guard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 597 Old 09-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post
Lenny Venito (formerly of The Neighbors) was Cary's favorite guard.
Yeah, as soon as I saw him I thought "Hey, Marty Weaver moved from Jersey to Chicago and turned into an AHole!
post #543 of 597 Old 09-23-2014, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Hell, Bishop is the only person on the show who Alicia legitimately defers to at this point, and for good reason: He's dangerous.

I appreciate the writers letting Bishop have this much power and it feels rather scary. Heck I got scared once or two...
Mike Colter who play Bishop is just fantastic. His shifting from smooth and professional to smooth and menacing is terrific. His "splainig" to Kalinda about her not pursuing her investigation left no doubt about what the consequences would be if she did.
post #544 of 597 Old 09-28-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Another fantastic opening. Just like last week I played back the 9 minutes or so before watching the rest. Alicia pondering as it began framed perfectly with Diane seeing the future as the episode ended. The in between showed the grey of reality.
post #545 of 597 Old 09-28-2014, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 83
My feeling is that with the rapid influx of new partners and senior staff Floreck Agos will not be what Alicia had in mind when she left and formed it. In the end she will run for state's attorney and possibly win walking away.
post #546 of 597 Old 09-29-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
My feeling is that with the rapid influx of new partners and senior staff Floreck Agos will not be what Alicia had in mind when she left and formed it.
My take is Alicia is fine with the firm growing rapidly - she even favors it as shown by her actions to a large degree going around Cary. Rather Cary is the one who would much rather feel in charge and make his way in life... Alicia being older and has more important matters to resolve and whatever is best for the firm works. Didn't she even tell Cary such when he was in lockup... we have to look out for the firm. Where Cary is more from the point of view controlling the firm.

As far as running. My guess is no way. She would never want to be a politician. Heck her husband is a shining example of why she would never want to be in that position. And frankly I don't see her as having an overriding desire to right the world's wrongs. Just look at Bishop... she could have left him behind when they started the new firm.
post #547 of 597 Old 09-29-2014, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Great episode,but I wish the ratings were a little higher.
post #548 of 597 Old 09-29-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post
Great episode,but I wish the ratings were a little higher.
You mean adding 2 million viewers over last season isn't good enough? The premiere was 21st with kids and 9th with everyone (including us old folks). Last night was up 2 million over the previous year as well... looks like "Madam Secretary" is helping quite a bit as its up 47% over the same time period last year.
post #549 of 597 Old 09-29-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Hard to tell with this show... and they have surprised us before with characters being killed off... but I have a feeling like Cary is on his way out of the show one way or the other.
WLGeter likes this.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #550 of 597 Old 09-29-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
My take is Alicia is fine with the firm growing rapidly - she even favors it as shown by her actions to a large degree going around Cary. Rather Cary is the one who would much rather feel in charge and make his way in life... Alicia being older and has more important matters to resolve and whatever is best for the firm works. Didn't she even tell Cary such when he was in lockup... we have to look out for the firm. Where Cary is more from the point of view controlling the firm.

As far as running. My guess is no way. She would never want to be a politician. Heck her husband is a shining example of why she would never want to be in that position. And frankly I don't see her as having an overriding desire to right the world's wrongs. Just look at Bishop... she could have left him behind when they started the new firm.
I enjoy this show a lot, but I think it's funny when we start talking about the characters as if they were real people with desires and choices of their own. They are of course puppets of the writers, and the writers choose how these characters act. When the writers make choices that are arbitrary or completely surprising, then most of us step back from the fiction and only then try to figure out what the writers had in mind. We saw plenty of this happen when Josh Charles's character was killed off. I suppose you can analyze it in terms of the characters' motives, but the reason (as far as we've been told, anyway) was because the actor wanted to do something else with his career.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #551 of 597 Old 09-29-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
I enjoy this show a lot, but I think it's funny when we start talking about the characters as if they were real people with desires and choices of their own. They are of course puppets of the writers, and the writers choose how these characters act. When the writers make choices that are arbitrary or completely surprising, then most of us step back from the fiction and only then try to figure out what the writers had in mind.
"The Good Wife" was honored as the 50th Best Written TV Series by the Writers Guild of America.

http://www.wga.org/content/default.aspx?id=4925

So I guess it's safe to say it's fairly well written and to me that means the characters stay true to themselves by and large. And after five years one certainly gets to know them to a large degree. I don't think they are any harder to understand than a real person you would spend 22 weeks a year with for five years. That is if the writing is good...

Of course the writers determine where the story arcs go but at the same time they shouldn't alter the characters in order to get there. If you take Will's death it had nothing to do with the character's motives rather it was simply life stepping in much like an auto accident or other life altering event. His death didn't break character.

The real people are the writers who express the desires and choices of the characters and if by now one couldn't make judgments about them after watching all these years I think they would be doing a very lousy job. In this case I think they aren't and I know Alicia quite well.

Last edited by Charles R; 09-29-2014 at 06:46 PM.
post #552 of 597 Old 09-30-2014, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The latest subplot where the drug kingpin of all Chicago is snuffing out members of his street crew with the full knowledge and cooperation of his lawyers is totally over the line. His lawyers have certain knowledge of future murders and have done nothing to prevent these crimes. They themselves are now criminals. Alicia and all her in-crowd deserve nothing less than prison time - after they put away Bishop with their testimony.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #553 of 597 Old 09-30-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post
The latest subplot where the drug kingpin of all Chicago is snuffing out members of his street crew with the full knowledge and cooperation of his lawyers is totally over the line. His lawyers have certain knowledge of future murders and have done nothing to prevent these crimes. They themselves are now criminals. Alicia and all her in-crowd deserve nothing less than prison time - after they put away Bishop with their testimony.
I wouldn't keep watching if they went to prison. I already watched all of the seasons of Prison Break.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #554 of 597 Old 10-05-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well just when I think there's no chance she will run they bring Will into it... about as low as he can go. Will she run? Make a deal to drop Cary charges for not running?..

Last edited by Charles R; 10-06-2014 at 12:06 PM.
post #555 of 597 Old 10-06-2014, 12:04 PM

Ihope she does not run. I rather see most stories focus on the law firm and its growing pains.
post #556 of 597 Old 10-06-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post
Ihope she does not run. I rather see most stories focus on the law firm and its growing pains.
As I guessed/posted a while back I don't think she wants to and she will never take the seat. They are just doing a great job of making it impossible for her not to without making it unbelievable (at least for me). Towards the end of the episode there was another "I don't know what I want" as in her life itself. That's why having the law firm grow quickly is fine by her... one less worry. Where Cary wants something to control.

The opening wasn't as killer as the first two (pretty hard to keep that up) but there were plenty of great moments. I was ready to run for the office so I could kick his butt...
post #557 of 597 Old 10-06-2014, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I too liked this last episode; especially the part where she goes to her daughter for help on the bible. It was interesting that the lawyers wanted to win while the two clients actually came together and found a win/win leaving the lawyers perplexed.
post #558 of 597 Old 10-06-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post
It was interesting that the lawyers wanted to win while the two clients actually came together and found a win/win leaving the lawyers perplexed
The scene with the lawyers arguing in the background while they resolved their issue was telling. I guess more on a society basis than religion. Although they have had various religious arcs in the past. Such as Peter seeking spiritual advice. Haven't read anything about religion on the show by the Kings so it would be interesting to find out more about their intentions.
post #559 of 597 Old 10-07-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I think the fact that so many noteworthy actors want to be on this show -- which, I've heard, pays relatively average rates for guest stars -- says volumes about the writing. Good actors want to be where the good material is.
post #560 of 597 Old 10-07-2014, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I watched "The Good Wife: Julianna Margulies & Cast Live at the Paley Center" from 2012 on Amazon Prime. They said one of the great things about filming in New York was that they had access to all of the NYC theater talent and that those actors loved supporting the show because it was filmed locally.
post #561 of 597 Old 10-13-2014, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

What a fun episode! So much going on, so many twists, so much background info that was revealed. They certainly packed a lot into 42 minutes.
post #562 of 597 Old 10-13-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
They certainly packed a lot into 42 minutes.
Certainly did. It felt like an entire season although at the same time it didn't feel rushed at all. I need to digest it some more but at the moment I think it was one of the best episodes on TV. I read one review this morning stating a possible spoiler...

Spoiler!

I haven't read where that has been decided...
post #563 of 597 Old 10-13-2014, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

You know I'm fine with the spoiler for a number of reasons.
post #564 of 597 Old 10-14-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You know I'm fine with the spoiler for a number of reasons.
I don't really consider it a spoiler. More like a rumor I didn't want to spread if untrue. Doing some Googling I can't find anything to back it up and tvbythenumbers has it iffy for renewal.

Last edited by Charles R; 10-14-2014 at 08:19 AM.
post #565 of 597 Old 10-14-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
What a fun episode! So much going on, so many twists, so much background info that was revealed. They certainly packed a lot into 42 minutes.
I loved the twists and turns as well. I laughed out loud several times after several of the skeletons were revealed.
post #566 of 597 Old 10-14-2014, 11:36 AM

The son had me fooled,I too thought he was a good boy.
tomhunter8 likes this.
post #567 of 597 Old 10-14-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mss136 View Post
I loved the twists and turns as well. I laughed out loud several times after several of the skeletons were revealed.
Not to mention Alicia's bitingly sarcastic reactions to some of them which were also very funny.
post #568 of 597 Old 10-14-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The fake True Detective show (and the the after-show a la Talking Dead) totally cracked me up.
tomhunter8 likes this.
post #569 of 597 Old 10-15-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Looking around to see if the "rumor" is true I noticed season six of "The Good Wife" has a 100% Tomatometer rating by critics at rottentomatoes.com. Among the reviews...

• The Good Wife is the best show on television. It always keeps you guessing: not with cheap stunts like in other shows, but by behavior so well mapped out that it feels inevitable even as it surprises you.
  • Fans of sophisticated drama may feel there's a dearth of smart new shows on the broadcast networks but The Good Wife continues to be broadcast's best answer to the scripted dramas on cable.
  • The Good Wife, a delectable, invigorating series of unprecedented depth and cynicism, is the best drama on TV.
  • Cable - who needs it? The best show on TV is on broadcast, and it's back at last.
  • To those who insist cable has an unfair advantage the CBS drama continues to provide evidence that quality isn't necessarily defined by blood, guts or exposed flesh. All it really takes is brains - and in this case, you don't even have to eat them.

Posting such in this thread is preaching to the choir although if you read the majority of threads about shows there are endless rants about how bad they are based on any number of reasons. Somehow they keep watching or at least complaining. I feel sorry for them as watching such certainly has to take its toll. Heck I just deleted several series recordings for new series yesterday. I decided watching this week's episode a second time is much more valuable. It has roughly ten times the content so I'll still be far more entertained.
post #570 of 597 Old 10-15-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A true spoiler...

Spoiler!

Last edited by Charles R; 10-15-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page