post #181 of 525 Old 10-28-2011, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

Love the exchange between the female attorney and white inmate.

I kind of feel, if you are deliberately going for a 'Silence of the Lambs' kind of moment, don't bang us over the head by deliberately mentioning Clarice Starling at the begining of the scene. The audience isn't stupid. We don't need to be hit over the head wtih it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 525 Old 10-30-2011, 10:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
CBS have killed this show for me. Too many recordings with half episodes missing and I'm not going to pad an hour because my DVR is already filling up with episodes of shows that actually start on time. Especially on Sunday when I have three tuners recording.

My interest level is broken now and CBS doesn't seem to care.

post #183 of 525 Old 10-31-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Moving such a good, well written show to Sunday nights is certainly perplexing. But, it is still good enough for me to make allowances for it, though it's inconvenient. They must have felt it was so strong that the switch wouldn't harm it - or - they are not as committed to it as I would like and are fine with its demise if it comes to that. Having won an Emmy, you would think they would support it more, not less.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #184 of 525 Old 10-31-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I've removed it from my DVR schedule and instead watch it on TWC's Primetime HD On-Demand... last night's episode was available immediately after midnight, so I was able to watch it same night, in 44 minutes, without having to FF commercials (just a few 15 & 30 second CBS promos that aren't worth the bother to FF). Not too bad a deal.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #185 of 525 Old 10-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
just watched the last episode tonite. i was hoping after the episode with the wife killer making a deal to get out of jail they might have got their groove back. but this last episode was nothing special. just plain ordinary. tick tock. you're on the clock good wife.
post #186 of 525 Old 11-07-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 169
TV Notes
Wife' Taking Late Hits by N.F.L.
By Bill Carter, The New York Times - November 7th, 2011

The Good Wife on CBS is an Emmy-winning show (for its star Julianna Margulies) with a committed, devoted audience.

But its relocation this season to Sunday nights has resulted in the loss of about 2 million viewers and outright frustration for a number of its fans, especially those who make a point to record the episodes on DVRs.

The problem is one that shows on CBS have lived with for a generation: late-afternoon National Football League games that run past their scheduled broadcast time. This season, for example, The Good Wife has started as late as 9:29 p.m. Eastern time as it did on Oct. 30 not at 9 p.m. as scheduled.

Not only is that a rather odd time to begin watching a television show, but it is also far later than anyone's DVR anticipated the show to start. For some avid followers that means a truncated episode.

Bobbi-Lee Smart, a fan of the show who participates in a weekly online commentary about The Good Wife, said in a Twitter message, Any time events run over their time and cut into the shows I'm recording I get annoyed.

This Sunday The Good Wife played in its usual 9 p.m. slot in much of the country, but in many big cities CBS was broadcasting N.F.L. games that again moved the starting time to 9:30. Those cities included television markets like Washington, Dallas, Tampa, Denver and Atlanta.

On Oct. 30 viewers in every CBS market were affected. If they recorded The Good Wife at its usual time, and sat down to watch it later, they would have seen 29 minutes of The Amazing Race, the reality competition that precedes The Good Wife on Sundays and only half the episode of the hourlong drama they wanted to see.

I can certainly understand the frustration some people have with the N.F.L. run-overs, said Kelly Kahl, the CBS executive in charge of scheduling.

CBS said it was trying everything it could think of to alert fans of The Good Wife when the show would not be starting on time. That included sending a fusillade of messages on the network's Twitter feed; posting the information on CBS.com and CBS's Facebook page; messages scrolled every five to six minutes at the bottom of the television screen after the end of the games; and even something called an Eye-Lert, which use e-mails and text messages to warn subscribers to this CBS service that a show may be delayed.

The network also has begun posting information on its Web site directed at fans of The Good Wife to instruct them on exactly how to program their DVRs to ensure that they will not miss the show. The message reads, in part: Make sure you get the entire program by setting your DVR to record a two-hour block rather than just one hour. That way, if The Good Wife' is delayed 20 or 30 minutes, you will still get the whole show.

The expanding use of DVRs 43 percent of homes with television are now equipped with the device is one reason the football over-runs are drawing more attention. But another is tied specifically to The Good Wife, which has a somewhat serialized story line, a rarity on CBS. The network mainly broadcasts dramas with self-contained stories.

The Good Wife does have those, but it also has a continuing plotline, which is one element that makes the show so compelling and more frustrating for its fans to miss (or to miss the last half of an episode). Some fans expressed concern about the fate of The Good Wife when CBS moved the drama from Tuesday night to Sunday night. CBS executives, led by Nina Tassler, the president of its entertainment division, promised that moving the show did not mean it was being downgraded.

CBS had sound reasons to make the move to Sundays, said Brad Adgate, who heads research for the advertising-buying firm Horizon Media. They could put Good Wife' against Desperate Housewives' and try to take away some women viewers, Mr. Adgate said.

Even with Desperate Housewives down an average of more than 3 million viewers, though, The Good Wife is not faring as well on Sunday as it had on Tuesdays. It has lost an average of almost 2 million viewers in its first six episodes this season, averaging about 10.5 million viewers an episode. The show's rating in the advertiser-preferred audience group of viewers between the ages of 18 and 49 has slipped from a 2.3 to a 2.1.

The initial ratings for The Good Wife on Sunday were about the same as the previous week, but they are unsettled until the differences in all the markets where games ran late can be factored in. But it is probable that more viewers in those cities found themselves missing half the latest episode if they did not program their DVRs to record the later program as well.

The show's Sunday slot, while advantageous because the night is the most watched in television, is not totally suitable in one respect: CBS has a huge audience early in the evening with football, but that audience, which is 65 percent male, does not exactly line up with the Good Wife audience, which is 65 percent female.

Mr. Kahl expressed satisfaction over all with the show's performance on Sundays and noted that the concern about how the delayed recordings were affecting it tells me that The Good Wife' has a very loyal audience.

He said that CBS was trying to go overboard in letting people know when the show would be delayed. He added, Other than call people individually, which I would be happy to do if I could, I think we are doing about everything we can.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/08/ar...ref=television
post #187 of 525 Old 11-07-2011, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Interesting article dad, thanks!
Never really heard such a fuss when Cold Case was in this awful(IMO) time slot, Good Wife must either have a more vocal audience or higher ratings than CC.
Personally I just do as I did with CC, pad the event by +1hrs. on the tail end. This works for me because I only record 1 other event from the 9-10pm CT slot. Others who already record 2 events(on different channels) may not have that luxury
If they only scheduled football for 1/2 hr. longer they'd probably catch 90% of the Good Wife programs, of course starting a 1hr. program on the 1/2 hr. never seems to be done and I suppose on the other end they wouldn't want to start football on the 1/2 hr. earlier
Crummy time slot, it's all I can say. How long has this been going on? I know for sure it effected CC but it must have been going on longer than that...
post #188 of 525 Old 11-07-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 177
I thought last night's episode was stellar. Including...
  • Peter and Will going at it (I thought Will stood his ground).
  • The political message was perhaps over the top but it sure turned up the heat.
  • Hey Mom pick up the phone! Was played out wonderfully including the sexual harassment video. Going to get good...
  • Alicia hiring her own attorney. Smart!
Pretty hard to pack more entertainment in 43 minutes.
post #189 of 525 Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 105
My memory is fuzzy... but when I first started watching Cold Case, it wasn't on Sunday nights... I think it was moved in its last season(s) when they probably didn't care about the ratings.

CBS really should think about moving one of their shows off of Sunday night so they can move 60 minutes to the 8pm time slot and not have nearly as many delays.

FOX finally wised up a few years back. It's why Futurama was canceled by FOX actually... it was airing in the 7 or 7:30pm timeslot on Sundays and was often pre-empted due to late football... and at one point they were nearly a year ahead of schedule in terms of produced episodes vs aired ones!

So they canceled it not because it wasn't popular, but because they almost never aired it!

FOX finally wised up and gave up the 7-8pm timeslot to absorb most of those delays.

I wish CBS would do the same.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #190 of 525 Old 11-08-2011, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The audio deletion drove me a little nuts. Some of it (court scenes) was obviously intentional; other (conversations) just seemed like glitches in the production. But great ep, as usual.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #191 of 525 Old 11-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I thought that was one of the best hours of network drama I've seen in a long time. It was FULL of great scenes: Alicia and the Government guy, Peter and Will, the Courtroom, all just great. And the way they seamlessly combine the serialized and procedural elements is masterful. And it all begins with the universe of characters they've created; smart, fully realized people that you want to spend time with. Just great.
post #192 of 525 Old 11-09-2011, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Very fun episode to watch.Wills past has come back to haunt him.
post #193 of 525 Old 11-09-2011, 12:14 PM

Liked: 10
Alicia's lawyer was nuts. Any chance that Alicia's adversary returns this season? She was the other ditzy attorney who seemed to be faking being an airhead.
post #194 of 525 Old 01-30-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Last night was another great episode. I presume Peter read the transcript so he knows what did and didn't happen... unless he thinks she lied. I think their (short) showdown was the highlight.
post #195 of 525 Old 01-30-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I agree, last nites episode was very well done. I liked how they setup Kalinda as the leak only to learn she was doing a double cross.
post #196 of 525 Old 01-30-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I liked how they setup Kalinda as the leak only to learn she was doing a double cross.

For me that was a little overboard. I did like how Wendy Scott-Carr came across (to some degree) inept. Especially, when the grand jury was determining whether to indict or not... they ate her alive. I'm sure it wouldn't happen that way but it was fun watching her get killed by them and later by Peter. I think it's rare to see secondary characters portrayed so realistic. Such as they have definable strengths and weaknesses.
post #197 of 525 Old 01-31-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydigi View Post

Alicia's lawyer was nuts. Any chance that Alicia's adversary returns this season? She was the other ditzy attorney who seemed to be faking being an airhead.

Meryl Streep's daughter, Mamie Gummer?
post #198 of 525 Old 01-31-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

For me that was a little overboard. I did like how Wendy Scott-Carr came across (to some degree) inept. Especially, when the grand jury was determining whether to indict or not... they ate her alive. I'm sure it wouldn't happen that way but it was fun watching her get killed by them and later by Peter. I think it's rare to see secondary characters portrayed so realistic. Such as they have definable strengths and weaknesses.

Her biggest weakness being her pettiness and attitude that she's smarter than everyone else. After losing the case and not getting another chance from Peter, she resorts to trying to get Will disbarred. Very petty and self absorbed. Very consistent for her. She is definitely a character that you love to hate.
post #199 of 525 Old 01-31-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alicia's lawyer was nuts.

She's my favorite character on this show. If they featured her too much, the show would tread too far in to comedic Alley McBeal territory. But in small amounts, she's fantastic.
post #200 of 525 Old 01-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

She's my favorite character on this show. If they featured her too much, the show would tread too far in to comedic Alley McBeal territory. But in small amounts, she's fantastic.

Yes, the thing that this show has managed to do much better than any David E. Kelly legal drama is have comedic characters that aren't completely over-the-top farcical caricatures. Hopefully the writers on The Good Wife can keep walking this fine line with these periphery characters.
post #201 of 525 Old 01-31-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I (think I) read Michael J. Fox will be back for a few episodes. I had my doubts how they would work him in but it worked out wonderfully.
post #202 of 525 Old 02-21-2012, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So is Will going to stay and fight or take the 6 month suspended time? I could not tell from the ending.
post #203 of 525 Old 02-21-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post

So is Will going to stay and fight or take the 6 month suspended time? I could not tell from the ending.

He was very specific that he was going to take the suspension. When he met with Alicia he made up his mind then and there. It was obvious, to me, that would be the outcome, given the way they ended it with him on the elevator and the door closed to black.

Bobby 

post #204 of 525 Old 02-21-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

He was very specific that he was going to take the suspension. When he met with Alicia he made up his mind then and there. It was obvious, to me, that would be the outcome, given the way they ended it with him on the elevator and the door closed to black.

That's crazy that they took Will's name off the wall. Do you smell a time skip coming soon?
post #205 of 525 Old 02-21-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post

You must not have watched the whole thing. It was obvious that he is taking the suspension.
post #206 of 525 Old 02-21-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's crazy that they took Will's name off the wall.

He had to divest his interest in the firm. If one watched the previews it was made very clear along with someone ready to step in and replace him. It will be interesting to see how they handle the dynamics.
post #207 of 525 Old 02-21-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I too found it puzzling why his name has to be removed. I recall in the hearing they stated he could not practice law in any way for 6 months, but I recall someone saying he could conduct business affairs for his firm. I think there is some big dramatic license taking place here.
post #208 of 525 Old 02-22-2012, 09:35 AM

I'm amazed week after week how smart the writing is on this show. Last night's episode had 2 or 3 story lines weaving through it, and don't doze off for a second because you might be left behind. And this is not the first episode that seems taken straight from today's headlines. Almost scary how prescient the writers are.
post #209 of 525 Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMilner View Post

I'm amazed week after week how smart the writing is on this show. Last night's episode had 2 or 3 story lines weaving through it, and don't doze off for a second because you might be left behind. And this is not the first episode that seems taken straight from today's headlines. Almost scary how prescient the writers are.

Even though that was written nearly two months ago, that could have been written about last night's episode. This may be the best drama on broadcast TV.
post #210 of 525 Old 04-16-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought last's night episode was stronger than most and that's saying a lot. It was hitting on all cylinders regarding major plot lines. It's entertaining to see Alicia actually playing with the big boys (still has a ways to go however) versus being a pawn or sitting on the sidelines. The cast is so strong that guest stars (such as Matthew Perry's current arc) are quickly absorbed into the storyline and don't stand-out like a sore thumb.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page