The Good Wife on CBS - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 525 Old 04-16-2012, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Agree that it may well be the best drama on tv,at least in the top 5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 525 Old 04-16-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 82
It's also one of my favorites. My DVR gets a lot of use on Sunday night. I almost always watch The Good Wife & Mad Men "live" but also always record them just in case the phone rings, the dog needs out, the president drops in, or I doze off for a minute or two.
post #213 of 525 Old 04-16-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I always look forward to this show, but I wasn't on board in the beginning. I didn't jump on board at first.

This is one of those shows that comes along that you really have to watch to "get"... if you try and explain it to someone to get them interested, it is a hard sell... but if they sit down and watch, it is easy to get absorbed into what is happening.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #214 of 525 Old 04-16-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Remains one of the best. It was fun to watch Ari lecture Alicia on how playing with the big boys meant having to take the hits and move on, only to have the tables turned on him later by the DNC Chair over his ex-wife's campaign. It's also pretty amazing how they always manage to have more than 1 compelling story line weaving in and out of the season long story arcs. Both are always interesting and I never find myself thinking "come on, get back to the main plot". Just great writing and the best example to point to when criticizing the lazy writing on other shows that face difficult themes.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #215 of 525 Old 04-16-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I agree, this is a great show. Too bad only 2 left for this season, sure hope it comes back next year
post #216 of 525 Old 04-16-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I agree, this is a great show. Too bad only 2 left for this season, sure hope it comes back next year

Renewed for S4 back in March.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #217 of 525 Old 04-30-2012, 12:43 PM

Liked: 10
Is it normal for lawyer to call a company about a check and not divulge who you represent?

"Hello, I am Alicia Florrick representing XXXXXX..... etc....."
post #218 of 525 Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydigi View Post

Is it normal for lawyer to call a company about a check and not divulge who you represent?

With Kalinda's history it should be. I got a kick out of the party scene... it almost looked like a curtain call after the season. Overall I enjoyed the episode however I guess the lawsuit of the week (against themselves) was a little lacking and seemed some what forced.

'I'm flexible'... I thought for a second the show was going to take another turn.
post #219 of 525 Old 04-30-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Remember... she didn't even give her name. The guy figured that out on his own later... She didn't identify herself or Kalinda at all, because she thought it might be something dodgy.

post #220 of 525 Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Remember... she didn't even give her name. The guy figured that out on his own later... She didn't identify herself or Kalinda at all, because she thought it might be something dodgy.

Yes that is my complaint. She didn't identify herself when she made the phone call. She just asked for a replacement check and wouldn't give any info that a lawyer in the real world would do. I'm assuming because the guy sounded "GRUFF".

I'm assuming if a legit law office contacted you today it would be "Hello i'm FIRST NAME LAST NAME calling on the behalf of FIRM NAME...."
post #221 of 525 Old 04-30-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:

Yes that is my complaint. She didn't identify herself when she made the phone call. She just asked for a replacement check and wouldn't give any info that a lawyer in the real world would do. I'm assuming because the guy sounded "GRUFF".

I'm assuming if a legit law office contacted you today it would be "Hello i'm FIRST NAME LAST NAME calling on the behalf of FIRM NAME...."

What about bill collectors? They don't always identify themselves, or who they're representing, and collecting a bill was basically what she was doing.
post #222 of 525 Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

The call was suspicious immediately because it wasn't answered like a business would answer. Alicia's alarm bells went off immediately, as did mine, because the scene was written that way.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #223 of 525 Old 05-01-2012, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

The call was suspicious immediately because it wasn't answered like a business would answer. Alicia's alarm bells went off immediately, as did mine, because the scene was written that way.

Exactly... so she did what any prudent person would do and didn't give out any personal/identifying information. Of course she forgot that her phone could be tracked back to her.

post #224 of 525 Old 05-01-2012, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It never entered my mind that Kalinda would have ever be married.She just doesnt seem to have time for much of any life other than the firm.
post #225 of 525 Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Am I the only viewer who thought that child's vehicle might be equipped with a listening device monitored by the father. The kid put on a lot of mileage during the discovery proceedings.
post #226 of 525 Old 05-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post

It never entered my mind that Kalinda would have ever be married.She just doesnt seem to have time for much of any life other than the firm.

I had read TV Guide spoilers where they said Kalinda's husbund would be introduced in the final episode. I never dreamed it would be the introduction that we got in this episode. I guess their relationship didn't end on a happy note.
post #227 of 525 Old 05-02-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:

Actually she was perfectly justified in not revealing her identity. It's common sense phone protocol when talking on the phone to people you don't know and hide their identity. When the phone was answered a legitimate company would have acknowledged themselves immediately upon answering the phone.The fact Kalinda's husband had to be pressured into acknowledgement was an obvious sign that something was amiss.

In any case I thought the check was for a contract hit that Kalinda did not carry out in a previous life and the guy on the phone was her liaison. That was even more reason not to be specific, although the caller ID would still reveal where Alicia worked.

A great episode overall with character twists almost rivaling the labyrinthine structure of Justified. The elevator group scene was particularly funny and well played.

post #228 of 525 Old 05-02-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't even realize this was the season finale. Not because it wasn't good enough to be one -- it so was -- but because nearly every recent episode has been this good.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #229 of 525 Old 05-02-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 325
This show really has been knocking a winner out practically every week, it's going to be a very long summer until it returns.
post #230 of 525 Old 05-03-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I was watching "Bend It Like Beckham" on HBO last night and saw what looked a youger Kalinda (with a London accent).
post #231 of 525 Old 05-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Yeah, Kalinda (Archie Panjabi) was in Bend it like Beckham, and yes she is British. If you pay attention, you'll notice that in The Good Wife, her British Accent slips out quite a bit.
post #232 of 525 Old 05-03-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

This show really has been knocking a winner out practically every week, it's going to be a very long summer until it returns.

And when it does, with any justice, it won't be on Sundays.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #233 of 525 Old 05-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

And when it does, with any justice, it won't be on Sundays.

It's very annoying having 5 things I like on at the same time on Sunday. I only have 4 I can record on my DVR, thankfully the HBO and SHO programs are on multiple times.
post #234 of 525 Old 05-03-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post

Yeah, Kalinda (Archie Panjabi) was in Bend it like Beckham, and yes she is British. If you pay attention, you'll notice that in The Good Wife, her British Accent slips out quite a bit.

That was actually a decent movie AND had a bunch of young actors in it that have gone on to bigger and better things... and more (like Archie) have come out of the woodwork recently too.

post #235 of 525 Old 05-03-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post

It's very annoying having 5 things I like on at the same time on Sunday. I only have 4 I can record on my DVR, thankfully the HBO and SHO programs are on multiple times.

Doesn't really make a difference to me, since most weeks I had to usually read about what happened in the show anyway after the episodes constantly overran.

post #236 of 525 Old 05-04-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Actually she was perfectly justified in not revealing her identity. It's common sense phone protocol when talking on the phone to people you don't know and hide their identity. When the phone was answered a legitimate company would have acknowledged themselves immediately upon answering the phone.The fact Kalinda's husband had to be pressured into acknowledgement was an obvious sign that something was amiss.

In any case I thought the check was for a contract hit that Kalinda did not carry out in a previous life and the guy on the phone was her liaison. That was even more reason not to be specific, although the caller ID would still reveal where Alicia worked.

A great episode overall with character twists almost rivaling the labyrinthine structure of Justified. The elevator group scene was particularly funny and well played.

I understand what you and few other posters are saying, but I still feel that the first words out of Alcia's mouth should have been "I am Alcia Florrick with "Lockheart minus Garndner" blah blah.

I guess it doesn't matter in the long run, I felt it was cheap way to introduce tension.
post #237 of 525 Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I understand what you and few other posters are saying, but I still feel that the first words out of Alcia's mouth should have been "I am Alcia Florrick with "Lockheart minus Garndner"

which it would have been if the phone had been answered properly. When answering a phone the first words out of the mouth of a legitimate company are always the name of the company. If you have to ask three times for acknowledgment then it isn't a company you should be explaining yourself to.

post #238 of 525 Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand what you and few other posters are saying, but I still feel that the first words out of Alcia's mouth should have been "I am Alcia Florrick with "Lockheart minus Garndner" blah blah.

I guess it doesn't matter in the long run, I felt it was cheap way to introduce tension.

It just doesn't work that way. You establish that you've reached the correct number before you identify yourself. If the answerer does that by answering the phone with the business name, *then* the first thing out of your mouth is "I'm Alicia Florick etc."

If you're calling what you expect to be a business line and get "hello" the assumption is that you've reached a wrong number. You then try to prove or disprove that by asking "Is this such and such company?"

If it might be a one-person business who uses the same phone for business and personal, and they answer "hello," you do the same. "Is this the so and so company?"

The show got it exactly right.

Ring. "Good Morning, this is GiantCorp, how may I direct your call?"
You've got the right number. It's a receptionist. You say "I'd like to speak with someone in Accounts Payable." The receptionist might ask "who may I say is calling?" and that's when you identify yourself.

Ring. "SmallCorp." You've got the right number, but no idea if this is the CEO or the custodian. "Hello, I'm calling from the law firm of Lockhart Gardner, and I need to speak with someone about an accounts-payable matter."

Ring. "Hello." Hm. Did I hit a wrong number? "Hi, is this the ABC Company?"

In no scenario is the first thing out of your mouth your own name. Unless your call is "Hi, this is Sally from Xfinity, and we'd like to talk to you about a great deal on our new HBO and Cinemax bundle!"

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #239 of 525 Old 05-04-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I can't wait for the new season to start. Is it me but are shows starting latter in the Fall and ending quicker in the Spring.
post #240 of 525 Old 05-04-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The question here is... why do you feel that way?

We are using pseudonyms on a public forum here... and even those using their real names don't completely identify themselves in a post. Only if we know who we are talking to on the other end would any of us (even in a PM) disclose real information about ourselves.

Phones calls work the same way.

Alicia was scripted perfectly given the way the other person answered the phone. She thought she was calling a construction company, and a construction company person wouldn't answer the phone that way. Even if it wasn't something shady, consider this...

Alicia represents Kalinda. Maybe the company she was calling had relocated and changed their phone number... so the number she called now connects to a different company, maybe a competitor... so by calling and giving private information about herself or her client (Kalinda) that could put her in hot water over client confidentiality... so when she calls and isn't sure she is talking to the proper company, it is prudent to not volunteer private information until she can confirm.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page