Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1967 Old 10-05-2009, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

Moving the time slot every week, and even going weeks between eps, is no way to prrogram a show. Viewers have to be able to at least know when it's on. (By the way, past successes on Network such as CHEERS, SEINFELD, etc., began with miserable ratings. But those ealy cultists must have served a purpose.)

Thank you. Although Fox gets one pass for the X-Files. Which they threw away with the treatment of the aforementioned shows...

On topic, I kinda liked Stargate:Galactica and will give it a few more weeks. The premise is different enough for now, we'll see where it goes. I'm still convinced we'll have a good first season, and then quickly into the crapper (this is SciFi, no matter how you spell it).

I'll stop ripping my BDs when I can put them in and watch the movie without trailers, warnings, cutesy menus...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1967 Old 10-05-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgroff View Post

I have issues with the ship itself.

Considering that an advanced race like the ancients had the ability to create a ship to explore the universe, following a path created by a previous Stargate seed ship. They would build such ships to last the eternity it would take to perform this task. Therefore there would have to be automated systems (bots) to repair both inside and outside the ship. As with Atlantis the ship would be beautiful not some bucket of bolts with low ceilings and dark gloomy hallways. The Atlantian's just did not build ships like Destiny!

And where is the ancient gene! Not once has anyone mentioned that?

I can deal with bad plot lines, but screw with my ancient technology and that's an issue

my .02 cents

I've got to agree - not only the problems with Destiny and the Ancient technology - there are a lot of holes in the story line. I love science fiction, but the plot has to have some substance to hold my attention. They stated the ship was launched unmanned, so they better explain why a ship with no inhabitants suddenly has a C02 concentration problem. As for fixing the C02 scrubbers, what about the small units in the shuttles, presumably the ones in the shuttles would be dormant and the chemicals would be compatible with the host ship.

Ryan
post #93 of 1967 Old 10-05-2009, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Well, do we really know if the ship is uninhabited?
post #94 of 1967 Old 10-05-2009, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgroff View Post

I have issues with the ship itself.

Considering that an advanced race like the ancients had the ability to create a ship to explore the universe, following a path created by a previous Stargate seed ship. They would build such ships to last the eternity it would take to perform this task. Therefore there would have to be automated systems (bots) to repair both inside and outside the ship. As with Atlantis the ship would be beautiful not some bucket of bolts with low ceilings and dark gloomy hallways. The Atlantian's just did not build ships like Destiny!

And where is the ancient gene! Not once has anyone mentioned that?

I can deal with bad plot lines, but screw with my ancient technology and that's an issue

I think the assumption is that the ship was built (well) before Atlantis level technology or Wraiths were encountered.

Of course, "Destiny" also looks a lot more the "Hammond" than "Atlantis" which would certainly raise the possibility that it came from the (Human's) future, or even the ever popular "Alt-U." .... stay tuned
post #95 of 1967 Old 10-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Did those stones work? I was confused whether or not the scene of Rush making that other guy jump was a flashback or current scene. I just figured he was lying about communicating with Earth and being in charge, though I suppose that unless LDP shows up as a hologram or AI, he must be their conduit at home.

I have few issues with the ship or the premise, I'm sure the ship came from a period well before the Ancients as we know them had peaked, so for things to now work so well, especially after so long, isn't a huge jump in believability. I'm sure the galaxies they visit will be littered with Ancient technology seeded before them and appropriated by whatever messed up forehead aliens live out there. They have entire seasons worth of plot lines about having to recover X data board or power cell from Y planet in the hands of S race in Z amount of time.

I'm curious about the decision to knock out the Colonel in the beginning. As it stands, SGU has no strong leader or even a real focused core group (if it wasn't for the promo shots, even knowing who was "important" would be tough), odd they would not let the COL shine in what could have been a moment of triumph.
post #96 of 1967 Old 10-06-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason10mm View Post

Did those stones work? I was confused whether or not the scene of Rush making that other guy jump was a flashback or current scene. I just figured he was lying about communicating with Earth and being in charge, though I suppose that unless LDP shows up as a hologram or AI, he must be their conduit at home.

Oh they worked but I do think he was lying about being put in charge. Honestly Atlantis was the first to be lead by civilians and this is a stand alone ship. If any one other then the military was going to be put in charge i'm guessing it would have been the Senator but that's gone.

I hope that unfolds as a story on it's own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Well, do we really know if the ship is uninhabited?

Camera angles maybe? It felt like something was watching them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #97 of 1967 Old 10-06-2009, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Based on the previews, does anyone else get the impression that the plot of the show is going to consistently be the ship stops on it's own at certain planets and starts a countdown, giving them x amount of hours/days to explore before the ship (on it's own) just jumps back into warp speed travel--with or without them? Hopefully they get control of the ship and do some interesting things, as opposed to a weekly crisis heightened by a countdown to abandonment. I don't know.. I'm still excited to be watching a weekly space opera though!
post #98 of 1967 Old 10-07-2009, 02:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalierlwt View Post

Based on the previews, does anyone else get the impression that the plot of the show is going to consistently be the ship stops on it's own at certain planets and starts a countdown, giving them x amount of hours/days to explore before the ship (on it's own) just jumps back into warp speed travel--with or without them? Hopefully they get control of the ship and do some interesting things, as opposed to a weekly crisis heightened by a countdown to abandonment. I don't know.. I'm still excited to be watching a weekly space opera though!

I don't think it's going to be that exciting. I'm expecting weeks and weeks of bickering and backstabbing as they all complain about why they are not in charge.

post #99 of 1967 Old 10-07-2009, 03:49 AM

I for one am glad at least there is some new sci fi out there. Show was ok. It has geeks in space working on intereasting tech and they will likely encounter some interesting dilemas. Yes there will be stuff that is familiar from other shows. But there is just so much new to come up with. Hope folks give it a chance and it sticks around, if not what are we going to watch?
post #100 of 1967 Old 10-07-2009, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by hthillbilly View Post

But there is just so much new to come up with.

There's original & new ideas - it's the suits that keep killing them off before they get going & get a following. Babylon 5 didn't really have get its legs and build an audience until end of season 1 & season 2. If the suits would have killed it, we would have been deprived of one of the best SF shows ever done.

Other examples of shows with original-new ideas that were killed -

Virtuality
Firefly
Surface
Threshold
Odyssey 5

Its not that they aren't done. They just don't make it. So we're stuck with rehashed ideas & formulaic spin-offs, like the Stargates & even all the Star Treks. In this ratings centric environment, it's a wonder BSG did so well

As far as new ideas goes, there are hundreds of really good, thought provoking novels that could be adapted for quality SF movies/series. Hollywood largely thinks successful SF shows have to be largely based on action, explosions, laser shots. And can anyone blame them? We are the ones that support the drek & mediocrity with our dollars & viewing habits.

Case in point, the incredibly silly Warehouse 13 will continue but Firefly didn't
Sanctuary isn't great but at least it's more or less original

How about using Ender's Game and its sequels? Or Eon or Ringworld as a series. The list of ideas is endless; only the will & boldness to try some of them is lacking.

ss9001

Steve
post #101 of 1967 Old 10-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure I would consider Threshold (which I loved) or Surface (not so much) as original. They are both just iterations of the "aliens invade" theme, but focusing a little more on investigation than battlefield antics.

Virtuality had no time to go anywhere, and Firefly (loved that one as well), while well written, was hardly original.

I think sci-fi is difficult to do in the visual medium because it either requires a huge budget for space battles or truely alien/futuristic designs, or a long term continuity to properly world build. Anthology shows like "The Outer Limits" works pretty well because it can take a single idea and run with it for an hour, but developing a series around that concept becomes schizophrenic (hence all of the "planet/monster/alien of the week" type shows) unless it is the CHARACTERS we care about, not the episodic event.

And of course to launch characters on a TV show they almost always have to be stereotypes of some sort. I'm intersted in SGU because aside from geek boy the rest of the characters have yet to clearly display their stereotype (other than angry minority, I suppose). Once can hope for fully fleshed, 3-D characters like we saw in BSG, but that requires such a deft touch, it is usually better if they just run with the typical suspects (wise cracking hero, technobabble nerd, emotionless logic, etc).
post #102 of 1967 Old 10-07-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason10mm View Post

the typical suspects (wise cracking hero, technobabble nerd, emotionless logic, etc).

I agree with your comments as well as people characterizations
While I don't care for LDP as an actor, the only character in the show I didn't really like is the geek. Too stereotypical...the others - I agree there's a lot of room for them to reveal to us, especially Rush.

I have nothing against SG-U and do intend on watching it for awhile & see where it goes.

TV SF is hard to do well & that's probably why really good ones are kind of few & far between. As far as the other shows, while Threshold was another alien invasion show, I thought it was "original" in that it wasn't the typical alien - the show's premise made it more unique.

And Surface - I can't say I loved it when it was broadcast, but it grew on me watching the DVD collection. As far as its storyline, while also not truly "original", it was different enough to be unique. If you're familiar with some of John Wyndham's novels, the show seemed to borrow some ideas from his The Kraken Awakes. Wyndham also wrote Day of the Triffids, Midwich Cuckoos (Village of the Damned), all stories about what happens to civilization when some catastrphic event occurs. IIRC, Kraken Awakes had an undersea alien invasion where they warmed the oceans to the point where widespread coastal flooding, tsunamis, etc happened, almost wiping out civilization.

My point to the poster was that there are original ideas floating around from short stories & novels that could be adapted or borrowed for TV SF & that it's not lack of ideas that's the problem for good TV SF to survive.

In fact, Stargate "sort of" borrows some ideas from the novel Eon

ss9001

Steve
post #103 of 1967 Old 10-07-2009, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Case in point, the incredibly silly Warehouse 13 will continue but Firefly didn't

If by incredibly silly, you mean incredibly awesome.
post #104 of 1967 Old 10-07-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

If by incredibly silly, you mean incredibly awesome.

Sorry, Doctor, I didn't
But if you liked it, that's OK by me

ss9001

Steve
post #105 of 1967 Old 10-07-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 381
All this talk about originality (or lack of) reminded me that the premise of SG:U was already done on Atlantis.

They had a short arc in which Atlantis flew into space, got lost and spent many panicked days trying to figure out where they were and find a new planet to land on.

While they were flying around in an unknown star system they had to make sure the power and shield held up around damaged areas of the city and find new gates and planets to land on for supplies and tech.

Pity they ended that arc because it had potential to shake up the show and could easily have extended SG:A with all the same content SG:U is probably going to deliver.

post #106 of 1967 Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

That IS the premise of the show. They said this from the beginning. You shouldn't be surprised this is what they are going to be doing. They have built this up for a long time.

post #107 of 1967 Old 10-07-2009, 07:29 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

If you haven't read or seen anything on the show, and a lot of people probably haven't, it was a reasonable question.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #108 of 1967 Old 10-07-2009, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm giving it two more outings. I've got too much stuff to watch as it is and if this is just going to be a rehash or a rehash I'm outta here. As I said early on this did not grab me and make me want to watch, but pilots often are poor examples of what the show will be. But from the pilot I see no characters that are compelling, I basically hate the set, and if any of the posts about the plot are true, it's all been done better before.
post #109 of 1967 Old 10-08-2009, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

That IS the premise of the show. They said this from the beginning. You shouldn't be surprised this is what they are going to be doing. They have built this up for a long time.

Who is 'they' and when was 'the beginning'? The show just came on last week. All I heard was they were going to be cutoff, stranded.
post #110 of 1967 Old 10-08-2009, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Who is 'they' and when was 'the beginning'? The show just came on last week. All I heard was they were going to be cutoff, stranded.

They are Brad Wright and the other producers and the beginning was early last year when they announced the third installement of the Stargate franchise.

Argee
post #111 of 1967 Old 10-08-2009, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I just didn't follow the pre-show hype. I figured I would just watch it when it came on, based on my enjoyment of the past two SG shows.
post #112 of 1967 Old 10-08-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

They are Brad Wright and the other producers and the beginning was early last year when they announced the third installement of the Stargate franchise.

Thanks.

Yeah guys, I read the press releases a year ago. The producers have been talking for a LONG time on what the show was going to be about.

post #113 of 1967 Old 10-09-2009, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I hope the 2nd episode starting in 3 minutes is better than the pilot.....

XBL Krimzen Rage
post #114 of 1967 Old 10-09-2009, 07:25 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

No complaints for episode 2. It solidifies the can't hang around because the ship is leaving thing for the viewers. Plus the twist at the closing seconds was very interesting.

Only one complaint. The painted on sun burn also painted on the "why did I wear black?" guy's sideburn had me chuckling.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #115 of 1967 Old 10-09-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Did they ever address what happened to the two that went to the other gate address? I saw the female soldier that came thru the gate later bring a second camera ball and I thought they were going to send it to see what was up witht he duo the went to the other planet

At the very end I was a bit confused. Either they ejected the shuttle to bury, in space, the senator that saved the day or someone is off doing something sinister.

Argee
post #116 of 1967 Old 10-09-2009, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

At the very end I was a bit confused. Either they ejected the shuttle to bury, in space, the senator that saved the day or someone is off doing something sinister.

Or maybe they weren't alone, who wants to bet in the time that destiny has been on it's way there have been curious alien visitors on the ship....

XBL Krimzen Rage
post #117 of 1967 Old 10-10-2009, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Two down one to go for me. This did nothing to make me want to watch the show. I've actually begun to dislike the characters.

So the ship stops where it "thinks" it needs to, OK fine. If that is the case then why does the ship not send out something to get the stuff it needs? It has floating cameras why would it not have a recon shuttle of some kind to retrieve the needed items?
post #118 of 1967 Old 10-10-2009, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Doesn't the ship have shuttles like on Atlantis? Only being able to walk around on planets near the stargate would really limit where they could reach on each planet.
post #119 of 1967 Old 10-10-2009, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I am not sure I like the crutch of the communication stones or whatever they are for them to contact Earth. From what I gather they have unlimited use. Now if you have a problem on the ship just bring Rodney McKay or Sam Carter in via the stones and have them fix it.

I will give it the first season to get its legs as I do not need instant gratification to keep me watching.

Argee
post #120 of 1967 Old 10-10-2009, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

Doesn't the ship have shuttles like on Atlantis? Only being able to walk around on planets near the stargate would really limit where they could reach on each planet.

That has been a problem with SG1 as well. It seems they only explore around a gate and leave the points thousands of miles out on a planet unexplored although I do remember one episode where they mentioned that they brought an aerial or orbital probe thru for wider exploration.

The biggest thing that the Stargate series never has addressed is that English is the universal language. The never even tried to use some technobabble to explain that.

Argee
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page