'Stargate Universe' on Syfy HD - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 1967 Old 10-13-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gmichael2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth, today.
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

I think Elyse Levesque is fairly hot....

A hot babe is only eye candy if you get to see the good parts. But maybe there is some potential there.
Gmichael2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 1967 Old 10-13-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bobby94928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 4,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

A hot babe is only eye candy if you get to see the good parts. But maybe there is some potential there.

Here ya go for just a tad more......
LL

Bobby 

bobby94928 is offline  
post #183 of 1967 Old 10-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Senior Member
 
drummerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ming-Na has always been hot, and Elyse is definitely cute. Alaina Huffman was fairly hot in Smallville as Black Canary (though not as smokin' as Black Canary should have been), but they need to get her out of that uniform.

I'm liking this show overall; they seem to be straying from the lighter Stargate formula, which is fine with me. I enjoyed RDA's cameo last week; he was all business, very military -- none of the cutesy stuff he's known for, which got old quite a while ago, especially after he became a general.
drummerguy is offline  
post #184 of 1967 Old 10-13-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gmichael2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth, today.
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Definitely some potential, but it's been starting off a little slow. I understand that character development is needed, but if they don't have enough action or appeal, they won't have the ratings needed to keep them on the air. Look what happened to the Terminator series. Just as it was picking up, it got canceled. They've got to pull the viewers in at the start to have a hope of building a following. A show like this doesn't usually pick up viewers as it goes. It needs to rope them in now. Show a little skin. Blow up a few things. Average Joe loves those things. They can have a dark side like BSG if they want, but even BSG had plenty of action and babes from day one.

What good is a good show (if that's what it ends up being) if it just ends up canceled for low ratings?
Gmichael2 is offline  
post #185 of 1967 Old 10-13-2009, 01:10 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member
 
AAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

They've got to pull the viewers in at the start to have a hope of building a following.

What makes you think it's off to a slow start? A few negative opinions in this thread?

Quote:


Stargate Universe grows, beats Dollhouse again

The second week of Stargate Universe did substantially better than the series premiere, according to Syfy, bucking the usual TV trend of shows dropping off after their debut episode. Universe showed a modest 4 percent growth in total viewers with just shy of 2.5 million people watching. But it made a huge gain of 22 percent among viewers ages 18-49 and 13 percent in the 25-54 age range.

The data include viewers who watched the show either live or on DVR the same day it aired. Those numbers will probably increase again when the "Live +7" data becomes available, which will show how many people watched it during the first week it aired.

Syfy said Universe once gain beat Fox's struggling series Dollhouse head to head in total viewers as well as in the 18-49 and 25-54 age groups. Dollhouse finished the night with 2,235,000 million total viewers.

These were the best ratings for the Stargate franchise since the Aug. 5, 2005, episode of Stargate: Atlantis, which aired before DVR measurement was included in ratings.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/10/stargat...se-grows-b.php


When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
AAF is offline  
post #186 of 1967 Old 10-13-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gmichael2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth, today.
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAF View Post

What makes you think it's off to a slow start?

Just my personal opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAF View Post

A few negative opinions in this thread?

Others' opinions are their own and do not change mine.



I hope the author of the article you posted is correct. Although it seems slow to me so far, I'd like to see it catch on. I believe that it has potential.
Gmichael2 is offline  
post #187 of 1967 Old 10-13-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,978
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

Just my personal opinion.


Others' opinions are their own and do not change mine.



I hope the author of the article you posted is correct. Although it seems slow to me so far, I'd like to see it catch on. I believe that it has potential.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-64012692.html

Quote:


MGM's 'Stargate Universe' Ratings Blast Off

New Installment of Fan Franchise Favorite Scores Impressive Ratings in U.S., UK, Australia and Canada, While Attracting a Whole New Generation of Young Fans

Best Franchise Premiere Performance in Four Years - U.S.

Biggest 'Stargate' Audience in Almost Five Years - UK

Highest Rated Single Episode Ever - Canada

One of the Highest Rated Shows for the Week on Pay Television - Australia

Download image LOS ANGELES, Oct. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Edgier in tone and sporting a versatile and high profile cast, MGM's hour-long, sci-fi series Stargate Universe (SGU) is on the fast track to becoming the most successful installment in Stargate franchise history. Reporting impressive debuts in the U.S., the UK, Canada and Australia, SGU is attracting a large number of younger viewers and proving that a new generation of fans is embracing the next era of Stargate.

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20011119/MGMLOGO)

"With this success, SGU continues to be a very important franchise in the MGM family along with James Bond, Pink Panther, The Hobbit and Rocky," said Gary Marenzi, Co-President, MGM Worldwide Television. "We anticipate global success for the series as SGU continues its roll out around the world and we are thrilled that younger audiences worldwide are discovering and embracing our very addictive series."

"Many of our characters are younger, inexperienced and should not be on this mission," added Brad Wright, co-creator of SGU. "This opens the door to relationships and storylines that younger audiences want to see."

SGU debuted in the U.S. on Syfy to the best franchise premiere performance in four years, drawing more than 2.3 million viewers. The series grabbed 2.35 million total viewers with 1.32 million Adults 25-54, and 1.12 million Adults 18-49 during its two-hour debut.

In Canada, SGU premiered on SPACE with a record breaking audience of 565,000 making it SPACE's highest rated single episode ever. SGU was the #1 non-sports specialty program of the day for Adults 25-54 and A18-49. SPACE is the Canadian English language cable television specialty channel owned and operated by CTVglobemedia.

Launching on Sky1 in the UK, SGU delivered 1,042,000 viewers for episode one and 961,000 for episode two, earning the series the biggest "Stargate" audience in almost five years.

In Australia, SGU was the best performing show on the Sci-Fi pay television platform, posting a 6.4% share. This performance represented an increase of 411% in the time slot (Fridays 8:30 to 10:30 p.m.) versus the previous programming of the last four weeks. SGU is well on its way of being one of the highest rated shows for the week on pay television in Australia.

SGU represents the next frontier for the legions of Stargate fans. The series is decidedly smarter, edgier and more youthful in tone and takes the franchise into a dynamic new direction. The dramatic series is fueled with complex plot twists, suspenseful cliffhangers and an all-star cast that includes Robert Carlyle (The Full Monty, Trainspotting, 28 Weeks Later), Lou Diamond Phillips (Che, La Bamba) and Ming-Na (ER, Vanished).

Based on the 1994 feature film "Stargate," MGM's sci-fi franchise was born in 1997 when "Stargate SG-1" (SG-1) made its television premiere on Showtime. After five seasons, the series moved to the Sci-Fi Channel where the award-winning drama ran until 2007. With 10 seasons and 214 episodes, SG-1 surpassed "The X-Files" in 2007 as the longest-running North American science fiction series on television. The next chapter in the Stargate franchise, "Stargate Atlantis," premiered on the Sci-Fi Channel and The Movie Network in 2004. With five seasons and 100 episodes under its belt; the series ended its successful run in January 2009.

About Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., through its operating subsidiaries, is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, interactive media, music and licensed merchandise. The company owns the world's largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles. Operating units include Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Domestic Networks LLC, MGM Distribution Co, MGM International Television Distribution Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC, MGM ON STAGE, MGM Music, MGM Worldwide Digital Media, MGM Consumer Products and MGM Interactive. In addition, MGM has ownership interests in international TV channels reaching nearly 120 countries. MGM ownership is as follows: Providence Equity Partners (29%), TPG (21%), Sony Corporation of America (20%), Comcast (20%), DLJ Merchant Banking Partners (7%) and Quadrangle Group (3%). For more information, visit http://www.mgm.com/


40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #188 of 1967 Old 10-13-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gmichael2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth, today.
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Wow! I didn't think it was THAT good. Enjoyed it, but not overly impressed. Just have high hopes.

Thanks for the link.
Gmichael2 is offline  
post #189 of 1967 Old 10-13-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post


"Many of our characters are younger, inexperienced and should not be on this mission," added Brad Wright, co-creator of SGU. "This opens the door to relationships and storylines that younger audiences want to see."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-64012692.html

So why were they picked?

With the exception of the senator's entourage, Eli and Ming Na, who were just visiting Icarus, everyone else had been given a long-term off-world assignment to uncover the secret of the other gate.

So did the selection process get a lot more relaxed for highly classified top secret interstellar missions since Atlantis went off air? If they were not qualified for an SG mission they shouldn't have been there to begin with. Age shouldn't be a factor.

Again an example of the creators not thinking in terms of premise just in terms of superficial style.


VisionOn is offline  
post #190 of 1967 Old 10-13-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Just to be clear, that is an MGM press release above so it's obviously going to lean toward the great and spectacular.
Keenan is offline  
post #191 of 1967 Old 10-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Member
 
Arative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

So why were they picked?

With the exception of the senator's entourage, Eli and Ming Na, who were just visiting Icarus, everyone else had been given a long-term off-world assignment to uncover the secret of the other gate.

So did the selection process get a lot more relaxed for highly classified top secret interstellar missions since Atlantis went off air? If they were not qualified for an SG mission they shouldn't have been there to begin with. Age shouldn't be a factor.

Again an example of the creators not thinking in terms of premise just in terms of superficial style.

I believe that he was saying that these people aboard the Destiny are inexperienced, young and shouldn't be there. Not that they shouldn't have been on the Icarus mission.
Arative is offline  
post #192 of 1967 Old 10-13-2009, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just watched the second episode. I'm not sure I like it or not. There's a lot to like, but a lot not to like as well. I don't really like any of the characters, except for Rush. The military people are a joke, and Eli (the comic relief) pales in comparison to McKay, Mitchell, or RDA. Maybe he'll get better.

However, it has held my attention and I'll continue to watch (for now). Was hoping they'd explain the sand thing, as well as what happened to the two people who went through the gate to the other planet. I also wish they explained the 12 hour thing. What is the big rush that the ship must continue on at all costs? Guess it was to keep the ship from getting hung up or something? I just think the whole countdown thing will get old after awhile (especially if every episode comes down to the last minute for them to get back).

Also, why aren't they using the stones to get Carter there? Or Daniel? Or McKay (if available)? Surely they could help out with some things.

Anyways, I understand the complaints, but I'm not going to nitpick right now. I'll give it time to establish characters and storylines. Plus, the probe/ship launching at the end was cool and unexpected.
mproper is offline  
post #193 of 1967 Old 10-13-2009, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Matt L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Flushing, MI
Posts: 4,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 83
For such a supposedly popular show, there is an awful lot of negativity in this thread. I suspect the uptick in the ratings was an aberration, and may not continue. I'm giving it one more outing to prove itself. I've got better stuff to watch than a bunch of trite characters on a rusty bucket of bolts struggle against some arbitrary constraints that the writers thought up.


There is nothing wonderful, exciting or new about this show so far...
Matt L is online now  
post #194 of 1967 Old 10-13-2009, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
moob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,593
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arative View Post

I believe that he was saying that these people aboard the Destiny are inexperienced, young and shouldn't be there. Not that they shouldn't have been on the Icarus mission.

That's exactly Vision's point. They were on a top-secret mission on another planet guarding/working on a one-of-a-kind gate (or was it the planet that was one of a kind? Whatever...). You'd think the government would get the absolute best people from this planet to work on that project and you'd think that if they were indeed the absolute best and brightest this planet had to offer, they'd be capable of handling the situation on the Destiny.

But apparently, according to the writers, they picked the D-squad to work on that very special mission for whatever stupid reason, so now we're stuck with the D-squad on the Destiny.
moob is offline  
post #195 of 1967 Old 10-14-2009, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Argee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Ravenna, ohio, USA
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

For such a supposedly popular show, there is an awful lot of negativity in this thread. I suspect the uptick in the ratings was an aberration, and may not continue. I'm giving it one more outing to prove itself. I've got better stuff to watch than a bunch of trite characters on a rusty bucket of bolts struggle against some arbitrary constraints that the writers thought up.


There is nothing wonderful, exciting or new about this show so far...

You might as well throw in the towel right now then as expection of something to change three episodes in is absurb. Now by the end of season one or in season two is more realistic.

Argee
Argee is offline  
post #196 of 1967 Old 10-14-2009, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Argee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Ravenna, ohio, USA
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

That's exactly Vision's point. They were on a top-secret mission on another planet guarding/working on a one-of-a-kind gate (or was it the planet that was one of a kind? Whatever...). You'd think the government would get the absolute best people from this planet to work on that project and you'd think that if they were indeed the absolute best and brightest this planet had to offer, they'd be capable of handling the situation on the Destiny.

But apparently, according to the writers, they picked the D-squad to work on that very special mission for whatever stupid reason, so now we're stuck with the D-squad on the Destiny.


Not all the people that went thru the gate were part of the away team that was to explore the other side so to speak. A lot of them were support people working on getting the gate to work in the first place.
Lou Diamond Phillips was supposed to be the commander of the away mission and he and others got left behind whilst some people who were base support ala cooks and the like had to jump during the attack. Plus they did not bring a lot of the equipment that they probally planned WHEN the offical gate jump would have happened.

Argee
Argee is offline  
post #197 of 1967 Old 10-14-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Not all the people that went thru the gate were part of the away team that was to explore the other side so to speak. A lot of them were support people working on getting the gate to work in the first place.
Lou Diamond Phillips was supposed to be the commander of the away mission and he and others got left behind whilst some people who were base support ala cooks and the like had to jump during the attack. Plus they did not bring a lot of the equipment that they probally planned WHEN the offical gate jump would have happened.

My thoughts as well. Just because you're a scientist who is qualified to conduct top-secret research off-world doesn't necessarily make you qualified in the situation they now find themselves in.

I don't think it's really that hard of a concept to grasp. There are plenty of people in our armed forces (in research, medical, support roles) who would be way out of their element if they were taken out of the military base or wherever they are at and put into a combat or survival situation.

Again, not a hard concept to grasp for most of us, I think.
mproper is offline  
post #198 of 1967 Old 10-14-2009, 06:32 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,978
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

That's exactly Vision's point. They were on a top-secret mission on another planet guarding/working on a one-of-a-kind gate (or was it the planet that was one of a kind? Whatever...). You'd think the government would get the absolute best people from this planet to work on that project and you'd think that if they were indeed the absolute best and brightest this planet had to offer, they'd be capable of handling the situation on the Destiny.

But apparently, according to the writers, they picked the D-squad to work on that very special mission for whatever stupid reason, so now we're stuck with the D-squad on the Destiny.

DId you watch the same show I did? The gate dialing was unexpected. They were not planning on going to that ship and they were also under attack when it happened. The show did a pretty good job of showing the chaos that ensued while people were going through the gate while the base was under attack. It was obvious that those people were not the ones intended to be going on the mission.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #199 of 1967 Old 10-14-2009, 06:52 AM
Senior Member
 
drummerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Also, why aren't they using the stones to get Carter there? Or Daniel? Or McKay (if available)? Surely they could help out with some things.

What a great question. If they could get Carter and McKay on the ship via the stones, they could have easily solved most of the problems, and maybe even gotten the crew back, by the end of the first episode. But then, they wouldn't have a series.

Did they ever state a time limit on communication with the stones? I'm thinking the writers didn't put a whole lot of forethought into the stones -- seems like an afterthought. Their use of the stones in the last episode (switching Lou Diamond Phillips and the lead military guy, and switching Chloe with some no-name bureaucrat) didn't seem like the smartest use of the stones in such a desperate situation.

I think they need to get rid of the stones and have the crew be truly on their own.
drummerguy is offline  
post #200 of 1967 Old 10-14-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

It was obvious that those people were not the ones intended to be going on the mission.

Their primary mission was to survive on an alien world that could have many dangers they have never seen before. Which is the same threat that every team has going through a SG.

Why should it make a difference that they are now on an alien spaceship? Did they only assign people who are capable of surviving on one particular planet and not in a spacecraft?

That would have made a very short SG-1 series if that had been in effect.

Daniel: "Jack I'm afraid we are going to die. I'm only qualified to work on Ancient devices that are fairly new and from Earth. This stuff here is way too old and creepy."

Teal'c: "Indeed. I can only fight on planets with lush forests and redwood trees. This desert world is too strange for me. I am unable to adapt."

Sam: "I don't like this place Jack. Its too far away. I miss my father."


VisionOn is offline  
post #201 of 1967 Old 10-14-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wytchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LaPlace, La.
Posts: 4,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

DId you watch the same show I did? The gate dialing was unexpected. They were not planning on going to that ship and they were also under attack when it happened. The show did a pretty good job of showing the chaos that ensued while people were going through the gate while the base was under attack. It was obvious that those people were not the ones intended to be going on the mission.

This. They were for the most part the support staff. Heck one of the sergents was in prison awaiting something. Senator and his daughter, A gamer who is well a gamer. Eli is going to be fun to watch. Comic relief, sure but he also stepped up in the last episode. Notice when gate was about to close they had to tell him more then once to leave. He risked being stuck so don't count him out.

What I want to know is why have they not yet covered that Dr Rush was "put" in charge. Makes no sense since by accounts the Military should be in the lead unless the Senator was there. Should be nice to find out what O'Neil really said.
Wytchone is offline  
post #202 of 1967 Old 10-14-2009, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Their primary mission was to survive on an alien world that could have many dangers they have never seen before. Which is the same threat that every team has going through a SG.

Why should it make a difference that they are now on an alien spaceship? Did they only assign people who are capable of surviving on one particular planet and not in a spacecraft?

That would have made a very short SG-1 series if that had been in effect.

Daniel: "Jack I'm afraid we are going to die. I'm only qualified to work on Ancient devices that are fairly new and from Earth. This stuff here is way too old and creepy."

Teal'c: "Indeed. I can only fight on planets with lush forests and redwood trees. This desert world is too strange for me. I am unable to adapt."

Sam: "I don't like this place Jack. Its too far away. I miss my father."

No offense, but you are either just arguing for the sake of arguing or I just don't think you understand how things work (be it a military base or an office building). Granted, I'm not in the military and never have been, but I imagine it would go something like this:
  1. Send Scouts in
  2. Secure area
  3. build the base (using contractors, most likely)
  4. Send in staff, which would include everything like guards/soldiers, scientists, cooks, delivery/warehouse people, janitors, cleaning staff, maintenance people, medical personnel, IT personnel, etc.

I assume most people assigned in the military will have at least basic weapons training, but to assume your average janitor, cook, or maid is going to be qualified to do everything (like combat and repairing malfunctioning equipment) is just crazy. To assume the soldiers are going to be able to debug computers and networks is insane. Likewise to assume your IT guy is going to be able to function as a soldier is just as crazy.

Your argument that everyone on a mission should be fully qualified for every eventuality that may arise is...uhm...ignorant (for lack of a better word)

Apply that to SGU, and it's mostly the same. Their mission was not "to survive on an alien world that could have many dangers they have never seen before. Which is the same threat that every team has going through a SG." That part was probably done 5-10 years ago. It's not like the people there just all arrived on the planet yesterday and built everything from scratch. No, it was probably all built/constructed years ago, and then these people (the staff) arrived much later, trained to do their job. You know, just like my job. Yeah, I work in an office building and I'm good at what I do, but don't ask me to fix the air conditioner, as I'd have no idea where to beign.
mproper is offline  
post #203 of 1967 Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

Lou Diamond Phillips was supposed to be the commander of the away mission and he and others got left behind whilst some people who were base support ala cooks and the like had to jump during the attack. Plus they did not bring a lot of the equipment that they probally planned WHEN the offical gate jump would have happened.

And the exact same thing happened on Atlantis. Sheppard took over on mission when Robert Patrick was killed in the pilot, the group got stranded in a (more) hostile situation with little supplies and equipment on a deteriorating vessel and nearly everyone was new - there were even civilians in charge.

Did they all start crying? No, because they might not have been experienced in interstellar travel but they were smart enough and professional enough that they could adapt and figure out the task at hand. Which is exactly the reason they were picked. You wouldn't send an entire team of people who were fresh out of boot camp or medical school across the universe, if they didn't demonstrate a high level of expertise and/or adaptability to begin with.

So the reason the creators gave is just utter bull. It's a superficial excuse to lower the age group of the main characters to appeal to kids.

Like I said before serious SF is done on an exponential curve. The more they want to treat the show as if it's a serious "adult drama" then the more accurately they need to treat the premise and plot logic.


VisionOn is offline  
post #204 of 1967 Old 10-14-2009, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Apply that to SGU, and it's mostly the same. Their mission was not "to survive on an alien world that could have many dangers they have never seen before. Which is the same threat that every team has going through a SG." That part was probably done 5-10 years ago. It's not like the people there just all arrived on the planet yesterday and built everything from scratch. No, it was probably all built/constructed years ago, and then these people (the staff) arrived much later.

They built a base on an alien planet. They could be there 10 years and still not even come close to figuring out that it was completely safe and free of any alien hostiles. As shown in the pilot when they got randomly attacked by external forces.

There are million and one things that they couldn't see or expect and to think you would send just anyone is as stupid as the puzzle in the video game.

If you are stepping through the greatest secret mankind has then there's a good reason you were picked and I'm not talking about weapons proficiency. I'm talking about personality traits and attitude and the willingess to accept the unknown, which goes back to what I said in the pilot. If the civilian scientists didn't relish the thought of exploring an alien vessel then they don't love their jobs enough to have volunteered to go in the first place.


VisionOn is offline  
post #205 of 1967 Old 10-14-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

And the exact same thing happened on Atlantis. Sheppard took over on mission when Robert Patrick was killed in the pilot, the group got stranded in a (more) hostile situation with little supplies and equipment on a deteriorating vessel and nearly everyone was new - there were even civilians in charge.

Correct me if I'm wrong (the pilot of SG:A was a long time ago), but on Atlantis, the premise was that it was pretty much a one-way trip to a place they'd never been before, right? And having civilians in charge was all pre-planned and established before they ever left, right? So it would make sense to have highly qualified, well-rounded people going.

That would be an entirely different situation than SGU, where the base/facility had been established for years (most likely), was probably considered secure (if not the entire planet, then at least the facility where the staff would most likely be secluded to) and it certainly was never considered a one-way trip for these people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

They built a base on an alien planet. They could be there 10 years and still not even come close to figuring out that it was completely safe and free of any alien hostiles. As shown in the pilot when they got randomly attacked by external forces.

There are million and one things that they couldn't see or expect and to think you would send just anyone is as stupid as the puzzle in the video game.

If you are stepping through the greatest secret mankind has then there's a good reason you were picked.

LOL. Ok, I'm done. If you can't understand why you'd have staff on a (in theory) secure base that might not be qualified to deal with every situation imaginable, then I don't know what else to say. I don't find it inplausible, but you do. I've said enough. It's just a TV show and I'm not going to take it that seriously or endlessly argue a stupid point.

Sorry, one final question: Can I assume you think that every single person on US bases in Iraq and Afghanistan (most likely considered much more hostile than this fictional base on another planet) are fully qualified to deal with every situation that might come up?
mproper is offline  
post #206 of 1967 Old 10-14-2009, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wytchone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LaPlace, La.
Posts: 4,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong (the pilot of SG:A was a long time ago), but on Atlantis, the premise was that it was pretty much a one-way trip to a place they'd never been before, right? And having civilians in charge was all pre-planned and established before they ever left, right? So it would make sense to have highly qualified, well-rounded people going.

Correct. Reason a civilian was put in charge at the time had more to do with the real world then SG:A if I remember right. SG-1 was wildly popular around the world. People (read none US mostly) wanted a UN feel with less of the US military in charge.

As for the military all US personal get some form of basic training. But that just it, basic. Cooks, janitors, etc dont need seal or ranger training but they are have basic skills. Still I think they even covered "I missed that class" on something or another. I watch way to much Sci-fi at times to remember what that class was
Wytchone is offline  
post #207 of 1967 Old 10-14-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gmichael2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth, today.
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

My thoughts as well. Just because you're a scientist who is qualified to conduct top-secret research off-world doesn't necessarily make you qualified in the situation they now find themselves in.

I don't think it's really that hard of a concept to grasp. There are plenty of people in our armed forces (in research, medical, support roles) who would be way out of their element if they were taken out of the military base or wherever they are at and put into a combat or survival situation.

Again, not a hard concept to grasp for most of us, I think.

Here's a concept for you. Would our armed forces be using children?
Gmichael2 is offline  
post #208 of 1967 Old 10-14-2009, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

Here's a concept for you. Would our armed forces be using children?

Are there children on SGU? I don't remember seeing any but maybe just missed them.

But yes, the US has bases where families of enlisted members stay on the base.

Of course, that would be more unrealistic in the SGU scenario, but plausable: ex: a specialist in his/her field will only sign up for the 5-10 year (or indefinite) stint on the off-world facility if their family can come with. Otherwise he/she just won't go. If he/she is a specialist and is needed, concessions could be made. Again, it is my belief that this off-world facility is considered secure and they wouldn't be volunteering to take their family into a hostile environment. It is also assumed these people are "volunteers" and "specialists in their fields" in the private/public sector and not actually enlisted in the military where they could be forced to go under threat of courtmartial, etc.

Again, more unrealistic, but entirely plausable.
mproper is offline  
post #209 of 1967 Old 10-14-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gmichael2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth, today.
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Are there children on SGU? I don't remember seeing any but maybe just missed them.

But yes, the US has bases where families of enlisted members stay on the base.

Of course, that would be more unrealistic in the SGU scenario, but plausable: ex: a specialist in his/her field will only sign up for the 5-10 year (or indefinite) stint on the off-world facility if their family can come with. Otherwise he/she just won't go. If he/she is a specialist and is needed, concessions could be made. Again, it is my belief that this off-world facility is considered secure and they wouldn't be volunteering to take their family into a hostile environment. It is also assumed these people are "volunteers" and "specialists in their fields" in the private/public sector and not actually enlisted in the military where they could be forced to go under threat of courtmartial, etc.

Again, more unrealistic, but entirely plausable.

The point is that the people at the planet base, would have at least had some training or idea that they were going off world. They shouldn't be acting like a bunch of babies. I know it was done for dramatic effect. It's ok by me that they have done it this way, but it's also a fair question for anyone to ask.
Gmichael2 is offline  
post #210 of 1967 Old 10-14-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

The point is that the people at the planet base, would have at least had some training or idea that they were going off world. They shouldn't be acting like a bunch of babies. I know it was done for dramatic effect. It's ok by me that they have done it this way, but it's also a fair question for anyone to ask.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I find it perfectly plausible that a civilian (or scientist/cleaning crew/janitor) signs up for a gig with all intentions of going back home, then ending up having the facility blow up around their heads and ending up stranded with no way home, no food, no water, running out of air would be a little panicky.

That's like saying if a cruise ship is sinking, nobody should be "acting like a bunch of babies" becuase they had some swim lessons as a kid, as well as the 5 minute lifeboat training they give you at the start of the cruise, and they all knew they were going out onto the ocean. No reason to be a bit panicky at all.

But whatever. Guess I find it plausable and you guys don't. Or maybe you are just assuming everyone on SGU is a highly traiing special ops person who has had very intense survival training and should be fully prepared for every eventuality, whereas I am assuming most people are just like you and me...normal people with minimal training who aren't prepared for the situation they now find themselves in.
mproper is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off