Why does DirecTv keep removing channels from my package?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-25-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Total Choice package and why does DirecTv keep eliminating channels from my package. They have gotten rid of Fox Soccer Channel, Versus, Fox Ohio, and apparently they have just removed G4 (edit: but now G4 is appearing in the channel guide again???). I do not understand why I am getting less and less channels but I keep paying the same amount.

I do not even see my package on their website and I pay $57/month and I am getting fewer channels than the Choice Xtra package.

This is so incredibly frustrating!

Why are they allowed to do this? It seems to me they should not be allowed to remove a channel that was available when I signed up. It is like a bait-and-switch.

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2009, 05:52 PM

Liked: 11
Always, always, always read the terms and conditions of whatever agreements you enter into, whether it is subscription television, airline tickets -- whatever.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsl View Post

I have the Total Choice package and why does DirecTv keep eliminating channels from my package. They have gotten rid of Fox Soccer Channel, Versus, Fox Ohio, and apparently they have just removed G4 (edit: but now G4 is appearing in the channel guide again???). I do not understand why I am getting less and less channels but I keep paying the same amount.

I do not even see my package on their website and I pay $57/month and I am getting fewer channels than the Choice Xtra package.

This is so incredibly frustrating!

Why are they allowed to do this? It seems to me they should not be allowed to remove a channel that was available when I signed up. It is like a bait-and-switch.

Shawn

Have you asked DirecTV?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 12-26-2009, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Because the cable and satellite companies are a greedy bunch of people.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
Old 12-26-2009, 05:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 42
No D* sub has Versus. D* isn't offering it now due to a carriage dispute with Comcast.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Have you asked DirecTV?

Exactly. Why ask us when you can go directly to the source, and if you don't like their answer you just threaten to leave and then give you a bunch of free channels.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:47 AM

Truly, the Versus/DirecTV situation needs to happen, and perhaps even more often. It serves consumers-in-general two ways. First, the more Versus achieves in these disputes, the more profit motive for production companies to produce great sports and others entertainment programming, and that could help improve (or, if you prefer, slow the overall decline in) quality programming available. Second, the more DirecTV achieves in these disputes, the more their costs are contained, and therefore the less upward pressure on rates charged to consumers.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

I have the Total Choice package and why does DirecTv keep eliminating channels from my package.

Because of this from your agreement....

(d) Our Programming Changes:
These include, among others, programming and other costs, consumer demand, market and shareholder expectations, and changing business conditions. Accordingly, we must reserve the unrestricted right to change, rearrange, add or delete our programming packages, the selections in those packages, our prices, and any other Service we offer, at any time.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

Because the cable and satellite companies are a greedy bunch of people.

I just knew someone would come up with the correct answer. Come to think of it, I think this explains why one of my favorite products has disappeared from the shelves of the supermarket I frequent. I'll have to have a discussion with those greedy people at Ralphs.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

Because of this from your agreement....

(d) Our Programming Changes:
These include, among others, programming and other costs, consumer demand, market and shareholder expectations, and changing business conditions. Accordingly, we must reserve the unrestricted right to change, rearrange, add or delete our programming packages, the selections in those packages, our prices, and any other Service we offer, at any time.

This answers the OPs question, so now I think this thread should be closed or merged with the Directv thread.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

why does DirecTv keep eliminating channels from my package

You answered your question before you even asked it:
Quote:

I have the Total Choice package

Total Choice is an obsolete package.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
And another price hike is in the pipe for Feb 2010. Thanks a whole bleeping lot. Less channels, higher price, HD lagging