Dick Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve on ABC HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Who's brilliant idea was it to use a live shot of a video board in Times Square as the sole countdown clock in the final minute? What were they thinking? I've never seen such idiocy on a live national broadcast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

...and superimpose that live shot in the bottom right corner of the screen. The screen showing the very same video board under the ball.
post #3 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
And who thought it was a good idea to have Dick Clark count down from 20? What a painful sight/sound that was. Wow.
post #4 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I hate to say it, but it's time to pull Dick Clark from the show. I know the man is full of energy and did a great job coming back from that stroke but it made me uncomfortable watching him last night.
post #5 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Quiring View Post

I hate to say it, but it's time to pull Dick Clark from the show. I know the man is full of energy and did a great job coming back from that stroke but it made me uncomfortable watching him last night.

Yeah, yank Dick Clark because of his stroke-impaired speech and see what kind of public relations nightmare THAT buys you. Plus, it's a "Dick Clark Productions" show. So, ABC would have to yank the whole show. Not likely.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #6 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Trust me, you were not alone.

I'm not sure what was more disconcerting - Dick Clark, or J-Lo's umm, hmm, how to phrase this. Well, let's just say that stretchy body skin she wore seemed a bit too revealing in her nether world shall we?
post #7 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Yeah, yank Dick Clark because of his stroke-impaired speech and see what kind of public relations nightmare THAT buys you. Plus, it's a "Dick Clark Productions" show. So, ABC would have to yank the whole show. Not likely.

PR nightmare from whom Doc? The senior circuit that's sound asleep by midnight anyway? You don't really think the Seacrest crowd - which is all advertisers care about these days anyway - even knows who Dick Clark is do you? They wouldn't bat an eye. I'm not trying to be mean, just pointing out the realities. They could have a fond look back at Dick's good years during his sendoff.
post #8 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Even if they can't pull him since it's his production they could easily reduce the amount time he gets in front of the camera. And for the countdown he has to go.
post #9 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 06:15 AM

Agreed on the painful countdown from 20. He unsynced around 9.

I think DC is trying make it to 40 years which would be 3 more to go.

Perhaps it wouldn't be so jarring each year if it wasn't his ONLY public appearance of the year.

Supposedly he wants to be an inspiration to people who have had strokes. No doubt that he is. But he could do more publicly than 30 minutes of live tv a year.
post #10 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
HD??? It sure wasn't HD in my market, not even that great looking upconvert
Fox's Billboard was HD (for the first 1/2 hr) until a local commercial after which it was 4x3 SD
It's '10 and many stations still can't get it right
J-Lo's spandex outfit at least it was late night...
post #11 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
It can still stay Dick Clark's Rocking New Year's Eve and him not be on it, right? Maybe not, but it is definitely time to pass the torch. Every one I was with and all of Twitter were talking about how sad it is to see him with his sprayed on tan and hear his stroke-stressed speaking. Nothing happy or rocking about it.

The other half of the buzz was definitely JLo's camel toe body suit. Was it really THAT important to her to show off her body after having twins? Disgraceful as mother and disgusting as an entertainer...pitiful all the way around.

P.S. Ha, I noticed the PIP countdown too. They had the timer in both shots and the smaller one ended up getting blocked by people's bodies. Good live broadcasting.
post #12 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I too was a little bit put off by Dick Clark....but more power to him I guess.

My bigger complaint was the "Live from NY" in the upper left, the spinning cube in the lower left, the countdown clock in the lower right, and the same countdown clock in the middle of the screen.

Just horrible use of onscreen clutter (not that any on screen clutter is good, but this was overboard).
post #13 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 121
OK, I didn't watch and I didn't see J-Lo. But, because pictures speak louder than words. I'm speechless!
LL

Bobby 

post #14 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Amen. Been saying this for a few years now. PR nightmare and all, end it already. His time is up. It is utterly uncomfortable to watch, listen at this point. He couldn't even count down correctly. It's getting embarrassing, I'm sorry.

Whatever, I'll just watch NBC next year if he's on I guess. They had a decent show as well.
post #15 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

OK, I didn't watch and I didn't see J-Lo. But, because pictures speak loude than words. I'm speechless!

I still say that gravity defying dress she wore at the Grammys was way hotter.
post #16 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

I did not notice anything that unusual about J-Lo's outfit or performance. I was more surprised that she, and all the other performers, were able to dance/sing/play music live in the cold rain and snow. Kind of dangerous between slipping, falling, and electrical issues.
post #17 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I don't know why Dick Clark just doesn't pull HIMSELF off the show. If he wants to show an older person with a stroke can be active and productive, there's a million other ways for him to do it without disconcerting people on new year's eve. This is just sheer egotism, not perseverence or bravery.
post #18 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

This is just sheer egotism, not perseverence or bravery.

Maybe it is simply his way to keep himself going. He has been on TV for nearly 53 years, and it's probably all that is keeping him alive....

Bobby 

post #19 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 11:07 AM

He botched the countdown a few years ago, if I recall. I think it's time to pass the torch. He had a great run.
post #20 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Dick Clarck would win a big lawsuit if they pulled him.

I remember watching Dick Clarck for DECADES. He is New Years.

I don't care if his speech is different because of a stroke. There are too many memories of him doing New Years that he is like a part of the family. It is empowering to see someone who battled illness and did not give up. I'd rather watch Clarck than some 20 or 30 year old.

Clarck leaving would be like Ebert leaving At The Movies. We all know what happened when Buena Vista decided they wanted younger hosts and to get rid of the theater balcony and redo the whole show.
post #21 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post

Dick Clarck would win a big lawsuit if they pulled him.

?

Although Dick Clark no longer owns Dick Clark Productions, dcp owns the program. ABC/Disney would have to pay off what ever contract they have with Dick Clark Productions, and come up with an entirely different program.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #22 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Maybe it is simply his way to keep himself going. He has been on TV for nearly 53 years, and it's probably all that is keeping him alive....

Dick Clark is indeed a legend and, like many, I found his return to the New Years Eve telecast for the first time after his stroke inspirational. Even though it was painful to watch, it was the right thing to do and showed tremendous courage. He has no doubt been a role model to many.

However, last night was simply very difficult to watch. Dick should continue to be part of the telecast as long as he wants and is able, but an even more limited speaking role would be best and, please, no more of his doing the countdown.
post #23 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

?

Although Dick Clark no longer owns Dick Clark Productions, dcp owns the program. ABC/Disney would have to pay off what ever contract they have with Dick Clark Productions, and come up with an entirely different program.

I think Dick Clark could win an Americans With Disabilities Act lawsuit. I hate to see him get pushed out. He is a tradition on New Years. Dick Clark is to New Years what Johnny Carson was to the Tonight Show. Who can replace Dick Clark?
post #24 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think Dick Clark could win an Americans With Disabilities Act lawsuit. I hate to see him get pushed out. He is a tradition on New Years. Dick Clark is to New Years what Johnny Carson was to the Tonight Show. Who can replace Dick Clark?

What? Lawsuit? Are you kidding me? Not surprised, since that is the answer to everything in our country these days, but no way in hell would he - A) sue and B) win a suit. That's utter foolishness. He can't do the job anymore. End of story. Besides, you think he'd want to subject himself to the embarrassment of a lawsuit where they run out his greatest hits since the stroke? It wouldn't be pretty.
post #25 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

What? Lawsuit? Are you kidding me? Not surprised, since that is the answer to everything in our country these days, but no way in hell would he - A) sue and B) win a suit. That's utter foolishness. He can't do the job anymore. End of story. Besides, you think he'd want to subject himself to the embarrassment of a lawsuit where they run out his greatest hits since the stroke? It wouldn't be pretty.

I think Dick Clark would win. They have to accommodate his disability. He showed up and he did the job. So what if his voice is different since his stroke? He came to do the job and he got it done. It is not like Dick Clark is a singer. His job is to get guests on the show, and he did that. He is there to usher in the New Year and he has 30+ years experience.
post #26 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I think Dick Clark would win. They have to accommodate his disability. He showed up and he did the job. So what if his voice is different since his stroke? He came to do the job and he got it done. It is not like Dick Clark is a singer. His job is to get guests on the show, and he did that. He is there to usher in the New Year and he has 30+ years experience.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #27 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Enough about DC, let's see more dress pics....

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #28 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Ken, you are wrong. People are saying they want him kicked out only because of his stroke. Not only is there the ADA but there is the EEOC.
post #29 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Fuzz View Post

However, last night was simply very difficult to watch. Dick should continue to be part of the telecast as long as he wants and is able, but an even more limited speaking role would be best and, please, no more of his doing the countdown.

That's really what I should have said in my first post. Dick Clark is the show, he deserves to be on it as long as possible but in a limited role. Give him a 30 second slice every year, let's see him wish everyone a happy new year and kiss his wife and call it a day.
post #30 of 46 Old 01-01-2010, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Ken, you are wrong. People are saying they want him kicked out only because of his stroke. Not only is there the ADA but there is the EEOC.

I think "Kicked out" is the wrong words. I don't know how the conversation went from "he should pass the torch" to "they can't make him leave", but I think everyone who was uncomfortable watching and listening to him simply think he should let someone else handle it. As in he should voluntarily give it up; not force him out. All great icons have to pass the torch. (One that comes to mind is Bob Barker.)
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page