post #121 of 361 Old 02-27-2010, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJay24 View Post

So is Dish the only provider of FSC HD?

So far. This will likely change when DirecTV's new satellite is operational which is very soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 361 Old 02-27-2010, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansri88 View Post

I'm from New Jersey. Born and raised there for 17 years until I came to the city for college.

I guess my kind of opinion is something you don't see that often. But my other posts earlier still stand, they need some good quality players (I know we had Tim Howard at one point on the metrostars but we need more than just a few). Either that or some of the up and coming stars need to make more of an impact.

There have definitely been some players worth watching on that team. Juan Pablo Angel is the best striker in the league. Tony Tchani and Mac Kandji are very promising young players. Both Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley launched their European careers out in the swamps.

No team in MLS is ever going to be full of stars due to the salary cap structure. However the MetroBulls are easily the worst team in the history of MLS. They have zero trophies ever and were absolutely terrible last year. The front office has been awful. Fans have been rightfully disgusted with the direction of the entire organization.

One of the things that MLS has going for it though is that redemption is always right around the corner. Teams don't get relegated or end up way over their heads in debt. The level of parity allows for most teams to have hope for success every season.

The nice people at Red Bull have blessed Harrison NJ with the best soccer stadium in the league. The atmosphere and sight lines should be incredible for the cost of 2 beers at Yankee or Citi. That first game when Philly shows up will have all the passion of a European derby. If I were a soccer fan in the NYC area I wouldn't miss it for anything.

My love is bigger than your love. Sing it!
post #123 of 361 Old 02-27-2010, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posty-McPost View Post

The nice people at Red Bull have blessed Harrison NJ with the best soccer stadium in the league. The atmosphere and sight lines should be incredible for the cost of 2 beers at Yankee or Citi. That first game when Philly shows up will have all the passion of a European derby. If I were a soccer fan in the NYC area I wouldn't miss it for anything.

And I won't miss it...I'll be there to check out the new stadium at some point after it opens. After all, I do see it every time I take the train to/from NYC.
post #124 of 361 Old 02-27-2010, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

There have definitely been some players worth watching on that team. Juan Pablo Angel is the best striker in the league. Tony Tchani and Mac Kandji are very promising young players. Both Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley launched their European careers out in the swamps.

No team in MLS is ever going to be full of stars due to the salary cap structure. However the MetroBulls are easily the worst team in the history of MLS. They have zero trophies ever and were absolutely terrible last year. The front office has been awful. Fans have been rightfully disgusted with the direction of the entire organization.

One of the things that MLS has going for it though is that redemption is always right around the corner. Teams don't get relegated or end up way over their heads in debt. The level of parity allows for most teams to have hope for success every season.

Great post, thanks.

MLS is not the Euro leagues but the stadiums are intimate and the soccer can be quite entertaining, even if sometimes most of the entertainment is provided by the opposition

But damn, the prices are good and I park less then 50 yards from the gate.

I suggest watching the world stars on TV, but go out to the stadium and support your local team. That will be the only way the world stars have any chance of ever playing regularly at your local stadium.
post #125 of 361 Old 02-28-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

I just hope these channels look better than the Chelsea/Man City match looked today on ESPN2. Yuch!

so it wasn't just me..

Was watching on D*, and it was almost like a stop motion game at times.
post #126 of 361 Old 02-28-2010, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthalton View Post

so it wasn't just me..

I thought it was my LCD too. That looked "stop motion " stuff and it was unwatchable the entire game.I called Fios over that and it looked the same at their end as well. ESPN, are you watching?.....
post #127 of 361 Old 02-28-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthalton View Post

so it wasn't just me..

Seems to me that sometimes the games that ESPN2 picks up aren't produced in HD at the source and they just present it upconverted. In contrast to the actual HD games its very obvious.

That said, the upconvert on ESPN2 still blows away Fox soccer channel or Setanta as far as picture quality goes. imho.
post #128 of 361 Old 03-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Have you been to the stadium already to say that Harrison has been blessed with the best football stadium in the league? From the outside, seeing it every day on my commute, it looks really beautiful. Furthermore, the fact that I don't need my car to go there is a big, big plus!
If not for taking care of a little Travelfan nowadays, I'd be there for sure for the inaugural Red Bulls x Santos from Brazil match on March 20th- I mean, Robinho nowadays plays for Santos. That said, being a new dad on a budget, at this time, makes it tough for me to be a season ticket holder for anything - even though MLS tickets are cheap - but I'll probably go for a match during the summertime, after little Travelfan becomes older than 6 months
And I agree with the overall comments made about MLS and its cost structure - for those of you that are from the younger generations, just a reminder: Cosmos used to drawm 75K+ supporters to Giants stadium - but the cost structure of the old league was broken from the get-go. IMHO, MLS was very smart with its growth strategy in cities such as Columbus, OH, Salt Lake City, etc, i.e., cities where there isnt' a MLB team to compete with the football team during MLS season.
And I hope that Posty is right and Red Bulls x Philly becomes a rivalry compared to, say, Giants x Eagles.

Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list: BBC America HD, BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD and ESPN Deportes HD
I miss my Fox Deportes on Sports Pak!
post #129 of 361 Old 03-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post

Seems to me that sometimes the games that ESPN2 picks up aren't produced in HD at the source and they just present it upconverted. In contrast to the actual HD games its very obvious.

That said, the upconvert on ESPN2 still blows away Fox soccer channel or Setanta as far as picture quality goes. imho.

That's not true. You just don't know what you talking about. Other EPL games looked awesome on ESPN2 in the past and so as the MLS games. It just something went wrong with the feed.
post #130 of 361 Old 03-02-2010, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post

That's not true. You just don't know what you talking about. Other EPL games looked awesome on ESPN2 in the past and so as the MLS games. It just something went wrong with the feed.

No, he is right. Not all EPL games on ESPN2 are in HD.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #131 of 361 Old 03-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post

You obviously haven't seen FSC HD. They have the same issue as ESPN2, in that some game are not produced in HD, but the EPL games that are HD have looked very good on FSC HD and the upconverts are as good or better.

PSN = ChitownJackalope

Blackhawk Down(stairs) Theater
post #132 of 361 Old 03-02-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblee View Post

You obviously haven't seen FSC HD.

No I haven't... thanks to Directv !
post #133 of 361 Old 03-02-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

No, he is right. Not all EPL games on ESPN2 are in HD.

Somebody's wrong here

I'm pretty sure that there isn't always a Saturday match produced in HD at the source (i.e. in England) for ESPN to take and present on ESPN 2 HD. In that case, they just upconvert a more standard definition feed.

That's all I meant by that statement.

The difference is obvious when it's an HD broadcast. It's unbelievably stunning. The HD EPL matches to me look far better then the HD MLS matches for some reason that I only assume have to do with the way it's produced at the source.
post #134 of 361 Old 03-02-2010, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Saturday am at 6:30 and Monday afternoon games are in HD. The 9:30 Saturday am games are not in HD.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #135 of 361 Old 03-03-2010, 02:40 PM

Anybody know what's going on with the Setanta / FSC transition? I was a Setanta customer (for a few weeks anyway) and my FSC + channels are not on. Did my subscription not carry over? Any help is appreciated...
post #136 of 361 Old 03-04-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblee View Post

You obviously haven't seen FSC HD. They have the same issue as ESPN2, in that some game are not produced in HD, but the EPL games that are HD have looked very good on FSC HD and the upconverts are as good or better.

Just rub it in kblee! Some of us are stuck with Comcast (ouch!)

"MYTH: Three Americans every year die from rabies.
FACT: Four Americans every year die from rabies."
post #137 of 361 Old 03-05-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From MarketWatch.com

Quote:

Fox Soccer ready for World Cup, HDTV

Broadcast giant Fox is ramping up coverage for the upcoming World Cup and is finally making the plunge into high definition.

For soccer and “football” fans in the U.S. and abroad, it’s about time. The world’s most beautiful game rarely looks like it in old-fashioned standard definition. Faces are blurry and the grass looks dull green.

Only problem is, Dish Network is the sole cable or satellite operator in the U.S. to start showing Fox’s soccer programs in HD. Negotiations are still ongoing with carriers such as DirecTV, Time Warner Cable and Verizon FioS. The hope is that they will add Fox’s high-def soccer channels to their lineups very soon.

In addition to five-year-old Fox Soccer Channel, the broadcaster has launched a premium channel called Fox Soccer Plus, available in both standard and high definition.

“We’re in discussions with everyone who carries Fox Soccer Channel today,” said David Nathanson, an executive vice president and general manager at the station. “Ultimately we believe distributors and operators will choose to carry [HD] in the near future.”

Although the World Cup will be broadcast by ESPN in June, Fox plans mucho coverage. Exhibitions involving World Cup nations will be shown from time to time and Fox is airing two new shows, Passport to South Africa and Ticket to South Africa.

Passport is a series of nine 30-minute episodes that examines the teams from the 32 countries that qualified for the World Cup.

Once the games begin, respected commentator Andy Gray will lead a group of experts to offer live analysis of each day’s games after they end. Ticket to South Africa will air every night during the World Cup.

Aside from World Cup coverage, Fox is increasing broadcasts of the English Premier League and other leagues around the world like the Italian Serie A. Plus it will continue to carry major tournaments such as UEFA Champions League and FA Cup, while adding new exclusives.

Many of those games will air on the new Fox Soccer Plus, which will carry 130 EPL contests. Another 130 will be broadcast as usual on older sibling Fox Soccer Channel. Between those two channels, Fox will carry more than 75% of all Premier League games.

The best news: virtually all of the Fox soccer programming will be in native high-definition signals with full-screen view. Rarely will viewers see sidebars or downconverted video feeds of lesser quality.

“The bulk of the content you find in the network will be in HD,” Nathanson said. “It’s truly the best way to experience soccer.”

- Jeffry Bartash

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #138 of 361 Old 03-06-2010, 01:14 AM

What are the offs FIOS is going to add FOX Soccer Channel and FSC Plus in HD anytime soon? Given their recent complacency in wanting to add new channels, I'd say slim to none.
post #139 of 361 Old 03-06-2010, 05:39 AM

From TW's online channel changes page for NYC:

"On or about April 5, 2010 we will launch Fox Soccer Plus on ch. 460 and Fox Soccer Plus HD on ch. 470. Both services will be part of our sports tier."
post #140 of 361 Old 03-06-2010, 01:32 PM

Was there some reason there was no game broadcast this morning on ESPN2? The DVR recorded two hours of fishing. Nothing in the local listings (TWC San Diego) indicates that there was a game, the DVR notwithstanding.
post #141 of 361 Old 03-06-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpemulis View Post

Was there some reason there was no game broadcast this morning on ESPN2? The DVR recorded two hours of fishing. Nothing in the local listings (TWC San Diego) indicates that there was a game, the DVR notwithstanding.

FA Cup was the early game this weekend. And I guess ESPN didn't choose to show Arsenal v Burnley at 10am ET.

Favorite NBA Player: Snaq O'Meal
post #142 of 361 Old 03-06-2010, 04:47 PM

Anybody know when either RCN or Comcast in Chicago get FSC HD then?
post #143 of 361 Old 03-08-2010, 05:08 PM

any news for FIOS?
post #144 of 361 Old 03-09-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goke313 View Post

any news for FIOS?

The reply to my tweet @FiosTV a couple of days ago was..no news.
post #145 of 361 Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Just curious, how many other people are holding off on ordering Fox Soccer Plus until it goes HD? I'm on DirecTV, and $14.99 for an SD channel seems ludicrous - but once it goes HD I'm sure I'll opt in.

Strangely, their $10/month "HD" fee bugs me, but for some reason their fee for the extra soccer channel seems worth it...
post #146 of 361 Old 03-11-2010, 04:17 PM
DB2
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

Just curious, how many other people are holding off on ordering Fox Soccer Plus until it goes HD? I'm on DirecTV, and $14.99 for an SD channel seems ludicrous - but once it goes HD I'm sure I'll opt in.

Strangely, their $10/month "HD" fee bugs me, but for some reason their fee for the extra soccer channel seems worth it...

ME!!

To be honest I was one button push away from subscribing last night and then I thought about how silly it would be to pay $15/month for a standard def channel.

I'm going to wait.

"I usually sit closer to 2 X screen width, or I look like a cat watching a ping pong tournament." -Free
post #147 of 361 Old 03-11-2010, 04:22 PM

Time Warner will be adding FSPlus to the sports tier. Any idea what that costs? I'm sure it varies by market, but from what I understand it will be a lot less than the $14.99 D* charges for 1 channel.
post #148 of 361 Old 03-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan2112 View Post

Time Warner will be adding FSPlus to the sports tier. Any idea what that costs? I'm sure it varies by market, but from what I understand it will be a lot less than the $14.99 D* charges for 1 channel.

where did u get this info from? TW does not even have FSC HD yet, which is very disappointing.
post #149 of 361 Old 03-11-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

I spent $15 for Setanta for the EPL and Champions League in SD so I see no difference here other than getting more episodes of Sky Sports News and less Pat Dolan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post

where did u get this info from? TW does not even have FSC HD yet, which is very disappointing.

It's a rumor making the rounds - someone said they saw it on an announcement page - but it's behind a login. Think it's applicable for NYC only.

Favorite NBA Player: Snaq O'Meal
post #150 of 361 Old 03-11-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post

It showed up on the nyc TW channel changes page with a post date of March 5th. They say FS+ and FS+ HD are coming "on or about April 5th" You can see it here:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/nynj/...elchanges.html

The digital sports tier they are talking about cost an additional $3.95 and gives you GolTv, and some other things i cant remember off the top of my head.

I hope this stays true cause TW in nyc has been known to alter or push back these channels before they go live on their system. I also hope it helps other providers offer it at less than $15/month which is too much in my opinion.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page