Zelkovich: Olympic ratings through the roof
February 13, 2010 Chris Zelkovich
When the CTV-Rogers consortium won the rights to the Vancouver Olympics, the general consensus was that it had won the right to lose a ton of money.
Having overpaid by all reckoning, the consortium was looking at huge losses - even before the economy hit the skids and advertisers stopped advertising.
Its only hope, many felt, was a landslide of Canadian medals that would produce huge ratings and in turn send ad rates for unsold spots skyrocketing.
But even before the first medals were handed out, there was some promising news for the broadcasters.
Friday's opening ceremony, despite a ragged start and a confusing finish, shattered all Canadian television ratings records.
According to BBM Canada overnight ratings, an average of 13.3 million people watched the 3.5-hour extravaganza on the consortium's 11 channels. In all, more than 26 million tuned in at some point.
A stunning 84 per cent of all Canadians watching TV chose the opening ceremony, which makes one wonder what the other 16 per cent were looking at. Surviving Survivor?
Though ratings records have to be taken with a bucket of salt since a new measuring system was launched last summer, these are stunning numbers. And they certainly bode well for the CTV consortium.http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...d-for-nbc.html
Winter Olympics strike ratings gold for NBC
By Rick Porter
February 14, 2010 4:10 PM
The first two nights of the Winter Olympics have been cause for much celebration at NBC, as they've scored ratings well above the 2006 winter games.
Prime-time coverage Friday and Saturday (Feb. 12-13) averaged 30 million viewers, a third better than the first two nights from Turin, Italy, in 2006 (22.6 million). The opening ceremony on Friday drew 32.6 million viewers, the highest for any Winter Olympics outside the United States since 1994, when the Tonya Harding-Nancy Kerrigan saga fueled interest in the games and drew 33.8 million people to the opening ceremony. (The last U.S.-base games, in 2002 in Salt Lake City, scored better than 45 million viewers for the opening ceremony.)
NBC also notes that 97 million people have caught at least a few minutes of its coverage on the network or one of its cable partners, a 13-percent bump over 2006 (88 million) and just behind the 1994 games in Lillehammer, Norway (100 million).
The ratings surge over 2006 has occurred even without the presence of two of the Winter Olympics' marquee events, downhill skiing and figure skating. The alpine skiing schedule has been pushed back because of bad weather, and the figure skating competition gets going Sunday with the pairs short program.
Having the Olympics in nearby Vancouver, Canada, has allowed NBC to show some events live in primetime to the eastern half of the country, which has probably helped juice the ratings some. Even on tape delay, though, the games are performing well out West; markets like Seattle and Denver have posted some of the best metered-market ratings so far.
Saturday's prime-time coverage averaged 26.2 million viewers, better than any night of the 2006 games.