Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Nielsen Overnights (18-49)
Sweet good-bye for NBC's 'Parenthood'
Second-year drama averages a 2.5 rating in 18-49s
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - April 20th, 2011

In its season finale, NBC's "Parenthood" showed a ratings bump that should secure a third-season order.

The drama won its timeslot against new ABC drama "Body of Proof" for the first time and drew its best rating since September.

"Parenthood" averaged a 2.5 adults 18-49 rating at 10 p.m., according to Nielsen overnights, up 19 percent from a 2.1 last week.

It was the best rating for show, which is on the bubble for renewal, since Sept. 21, and it helped NBC to second place on the night behind Fox, on a night where the NBA playoffs provided significant competition on cable and most other shows were down from last week.

Fox was first for the night among 18-49s with a 2.8 average overnight rating and an 8 share. NBC was second at 2.4/6, CBS third at 2.2/6, ABC fourth at 2.1/6, Univision fifth at 1.4/4, Telemundo sixth at 0.8/2 and CW seventh at 0.6/2.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback. Seven-day DVR data won't be available for several weeks. Forty percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

Fox started the night in the lead with a 3.7 at 8 p.m. for "Glee," followed by CBS with a 2.2 for a repeat of "NCIS." NBC was third with a 2.1 for "The Biggest Loser," Univision fourth with a 1.3 for "Teresa," ABC fifth with a 1.1 for "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution," CW sixth with a 0.7 for "One Tree Hill" and Telemundo seventh with a 0.5 for "Aurora."

ABC took the lead at 9 p.m. with a 2.9 for "Dancing with the Stars Results," while NBC moved to second with a 2.5 for more "Loser." CBS was third with a 2.4 for a repeat of "NCIS: Los Angeles," Fox fourth with a 1.8 for "Raising Hope" (2.2) and "Traffic Light" (1.4), Univision fifth with a 1.5 for more "Teresa" and CW and Telemundo tied for sixth at 0.5, CW for "Hellcats" and Telemundo for "Los Herederos del Monte."

At 10 p.m. NBC was first with a 2.5 for "Parenthood," with ABC second with a 2.4 for "Proof." CBS was third with a 2.0 for another "NCIS: LA" rerun, and Univision and Telemundo tied for fourth at 1.5, Univision for "Triunfo del Amor" and Telemundo for "La Reina del Sur."

CBS led the night among households with a 7.1 average overnight rating and an 11 share. ABC was second at 7.0/11, NBC third at 4.2/7, Fox fourth at 4.2/6, Univision fifth at 1.9/3 and CW and Telemundo tied for sixth at 0.9/1.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...arenthood-.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 132 Old 04-20-2011, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Our family is so hoping for more. Sure, the Bravermans are faced with lots of adversity. It becomes really frustrating at times. But we've gotten to know them and are certainly pulling for them. What a great bunch of actors (and writers).
post #93 of 132 Old 04-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 120
That was a great season ending episode. I'm looking forward to next season.
post #94 of 132 Old 04-20-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Yeah it was, especially the ending. I can now delete this series.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #95 of 132 Old 04-22-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Agree that we've really gotten pretty attached to the Bravermans too. Hoping for a renewal.

Anybody remember what happened to the Zeke money troubles sub-plot?
post #96 of 132 Old 04-22-2011, 03:29 PM

Liked: 12
I enjoyed the episode like most episodes of this show. I actually had no clue that was the season finale until I read it here .
post #97 of 132 Old 05-12-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 169
TV Notes
NBC Renews 'Parenthood' & 'Harry's Law'
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - May 12th, 2011

NBC just renewed the one bubble show that wasn't really on the bubble: dramedy Parenthood. With solid ratings in the Tuesday 10 PM slot, stellar DVR numbers and upscale audience, it was a shoe-in to come back. Still to come - the official pickup of Chuck, which may not come until tomorrow, and probably a renewal of Harry's Law.

UPDATE: NBC just renewed the Kathy Bates-starring Harry's Law, another solid performer that had been expected to make the cut for a second season. That will keep David E. Kelley's presence on NBC despite the expected pass on his Wonder Woman pilot. Word is Chuck's renewal may come tomorrow.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/nbc-renews-parenthood/
post #98 of 132 Old 09-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

So, no posts on this show this year. I am not surprised I think. I can't remember why I used to watch this now. I watched the season premiere, and it was as silly and as OVERWROUGHT as I remember. Maybe I watched hoping for Minka Kelly? :-) Anyway I will watch for a bit more but it's getting harder not to laugh at (what are supposed to be) serious scenes.
post #99 of 132 Old 09-15-2011, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I watched the premere, then deleted the recuring recording... If I want to watch recycled drama (oxymoron?) I'd go back to Life Goes On (good god i just dated myself).

Amber absolutely kills me... First the douche glasses now the butch/goth/dike haircut?

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #100 of 132 Old 09-15-2011, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I watched the premiere over and over. It stirred my soul.

Seriously, though, if you dislike the show, why would you subject yourself to it?
post #101 of 132 Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

We watched it and loved it, as usual. Good actors, good writing, and multiple plot-lines. Nice to have it back.
post #102 of 132 Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post

I watched the premiere over and over. It stirred my soul.

Seriously, though, if you dislike the show, why would you subject yourself to it?

You're right. Now that other shows will begin, I will probably drop this. I like the actors very much. I liked Minka as well . There were a few episodes last year that I quite enjoyed. I suppose I was hoping they would tone down some of the dramatics and let the dialogue actually work at some point. But I can understand why it hits home with lots of folks.
post #103 of 132 Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 AM

Liked: 10
anyone watching this show this season? My wife and I are still loving it.
post #104 of 132 Old 10-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
We are still watching! Somehow this show has become one of my favorites right now. It just seems to have a good mix of fun and silliness, a bit of serious bits, over-the-top emotional bits, and for the most part, very well acted.
post #105 of 132 Old 10-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Wife and I try to imagine a dinner party with the Walkers (Brothers & Sisters) and the Bravermans (Parenthood). A dysfunctional feast!
post #106 of 132 Old 10-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post

Wife and I try to imagine a dinner party with the Walkers (Brothers & Sisters) and the Bravermans (Parenthood). A dysfunctional feast!

I have often thought about that. I would definitely choose the Bravermans over the Walkers. I have been enjoying this season, so far.
post #107 of 132 Old 10-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

My wife and I both love this show. There are a lot of story lines going on at one time, but it really keeps it interesting. There are a lot of feel good moments, but the writers do a good job of throwing interesting curves too.
post #108 of 132 Old 02-29-2012, 02:24 PM

With last night's "Season Finale" episode, it looks as if this series will not be renewed. They wrapped up everything in nice bows. Too bad. We really enjoyed this program and thought the ensemble was absolutely terrific - right to the end.

Who cares? We are not in the supposed "golden" demographic. Another quality show (undoubtedly) gone.
post #109 of 132 Old 02-29-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan G. View Post

With last night's "Season Finale" episode, it looks as if this series will not be renewed. They wrapped up everything in nice bows. Too bad. We really enjoyed this program and thought the ensemble was absolutely terrific - right to the end.

Who cares? We are not in the supposed "golden" demographic. Another quality show (undoubtedly) gone.

Hope you are wrong, but I suspect you may be right. This is my wife's favorite show and I enjoy it as well. She commented "they sure wrapped up all of the story lines didn't they?" I told her the producers might have done it just in case it doesn't get renewed, but they still left plenty of story lines to go with if it does.

We'll see!

Ken
post #110 of 132 Old 02-29-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
I'm funny about what shows I watch - tend to look for good basic qualities and not care too much what the show's "about." So I've been a fan of Parenthood from the beginning.

NBC is supposed to be rebuilding the network, and a lot of press quotes from execs sound positive, but ending a good, sound show like this early, to make room for a new reality show is so discouraging I don't know what to say.

Maybe they can cut a deal with some cable channel to keep it going.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #111 of 132 Old 02-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

I sure hope it returns. I was thinking they tied up the loose ends on last season's finale too, but I could be wrong.
post #112 of 132 Old 02-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

It sure did play out like a series ending episode, similar to what Chuck did several seasons. I'm guessing the producers of The Parenthood were just hedging their bets - hoping the show gets renewed, but offering closure in case the show isn't renewed.
post #113 of 132 Old 03-01-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan G. View Post

It's not my wife's cup of tea as they say but I was hooked on this show from the first minute of the pilot episode. The writing has been outstanding and the acting ensemble is as good as you'll find outside of the the premium cable networks. These characters are so real at times that there is no disbelief to suspend. Tuesday's episode covered a lot of ground and did feel like a grand finale but if the show does get renewed, the writers left enough hooks to soldier on. Highlights of the show this week fo me:
- hilarious fight between Crosby and Adam in Zeke and Camille's living room
- Drew and Amy's first sexual encounter. Beautifully played by both kids
- Jabbar's bright yellow bowtie at the wedding
- Jasmine (Joy Bryant): absolutely radiant
- Amber's scene with Bob Little. Mae Whitman has been consistently excellent throughout the series. The girl has a big future.
- The closing scene when Joel and Julia meet Victor. Sam Yeager and Erica Christianson's facial expressions at the shock of seeing an older child were perfect and Erica's, surprising to herself, final look of absolute delight as they brought Victor into the house was wonderful.
post #114 of 132 Old 10-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Is nobody watching this this year? I've been on and off from this show through the first 3 seasons (seen enough to know the characters, etc), and have to say that this has been probably the best season so far. It's had me coming back to watch each week this year. Well written this year and for those of you that haven't seen it, tonight's episode is really good. (get the show a night before it airs in the US in Canada)
post #115 of 132 Old 10-09-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Actually I've started watching again this season. I watched for a while in the beginning then stopped, but this season got drawn back in.
post #116 of 132 Old 10-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

I'm surprised there aren't more comments about this show. We love it.

Tonight's episode was very good.
post #117 of 132 Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 AM

Yes, still an excellent show with a very talented ensemble. Last night's ending had me crying. That doesn't happen much.

Hope there's an audience out there and that it's not just the dreaded old folks (of which I'm one).
post #118 of 132 Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
It's one of the few shows I watch same day (as recorded.) A little over the top with the multiple conflict/resolution tactic for retaining viewer interest, but the actors are good enough to pull it off.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #119 of 132 Old 10-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Same here about one of the few shows we watch same night. Also same here about crying during last night's ending. They did the ending so incredibly well. No words required because the facial expressions told everything.
post #120 of 132 Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I sometimes feel that Monica Potter's Christina is a bit too overwrought and neurotic for my taste but last night's show and it's portrayal of her Cancer diagnosis was painfullly accurate. I have some hard experience with the issue and Adam and Christina's wanting to protect Hattie and insulate her from the dramatic potentials hit very close to home. When this show gets it right, even when it's very difficult, it's amazing to watch .
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page