"Justified" on FX HD - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2971 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 378
That was an episode that's been overdue. Finally Raylan is working an angle to the larger story, Boyd visited Ava after it seemed like he had forgotten about her, Wynn showed up (with the Detroit guy who has been gone so long I thought was dead) and the Crowes start revealing their plans to take over.

Roberts was good too and I liked the way the 21-foot rule was brought up again but only teased and not tested. It reminded me of season three when it was constantly teased that Quarles might be drawn into a shootout where he could surprise Raylan with his wrist gun, but they subverted expectations and never did. A case of Chekov's wrist gun never really being used in the way the audience thought it might be.


VisionOn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2972 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lonwolf615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: s.beloit,il,usa
Posts: 4,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

That was an episode that's been overdue. Finally Raylan is working an angle to the larger story, Boyd visited Ava after it seemed like he had forgotten about her, Wynn showed up (with the Detroit guy who has been gone so long I thought was dead) and the Crowes start revealing their plans to take over.

Roberts was good too and I liked the way the 21-foot rule was brought up again but only teased and not tested. It reminded me of season three when it was constantly teased that Quarles might be drawn into a shootout where he could surprise Raylan with his wrist gun, but they subverted expectations and never did. A case of Chekov's wrist gun never really being used in the way the audience thought it might be.

Great post, if for no other reason than I fully agree. smile.gif The Chekov reference fits perfectly because this episode was very much like reading a good book. Esp. one by you know who...Like I said earlier, I think this season is a tribute to Elmore, and they outdid themselves with this episode. Maybe my favorite of the whole series, and that's saying a lot.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
lonwolf615 is offline  
post #2973 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
ggsantafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Solar Powered in the Land of Enchantment
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Well, one of the reasons the episode is so great - is all the episodes preceding it this season that set up the convergence of the clans. Here's a great summary of one of the best scenes this season:

"Let’s start with the big scene toward the end when Roscoe (Steve Harris) and Jay (Wood Harris) ambush Boyd, Wynn, Picker, and Darryl. Boyd suggests a shootout out of frustration, and then Raylan and Miller walk in: “Miller, would you call this a herd, a gaggle, or a flock of a–holes?” “I would call this a United Nations of a–holes.” It was so good, I kept wanting to press pause so it wouldn’t come to an end."

Great info (spoiler alerts) can be found in the weekly EW update with Graham Yost here: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/12/justified-postmortem-wrong-roads-eric-roberts/

ggsantafe is online now  
post #2974 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

"Let’s start with the big scene toward the end when Roscoe (Steve Harris) and Jay (Wood Harris) ambush Boyd, Wynn, Picker, and Darryl. Boyd suggests a shootout out of frustration, and then Raylan and Miller walk in: “Miller, would you call this a herd, a gaggle, or a flock of a–holes?” “I would call this a United Nations of a–holes.” It was so good, I kept wanting to press pause so it wouldn’t come to an end."
Once the series concludes, I hope someone will put together the best quotes and publish a book....I would buy.wink.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #2975 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post


Great info can be found in the weekly EW update with Graham Yost here: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/12/justified-postmortem-wrong-roads-eric-roberts/
Yost does some heavy foreshadowing....read at your own risk.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #2976 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
ggsantafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Solar Powered in the Land of Enchantment
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Yost does some heavy foreshadowing....read at your own risk.

True that - I edited my post to reflect there are spoiler alerts in the recap - but by the time the next episode rolls around I have usually forgotten whatever the alerts are - but I agree, it's best to watch open eyed, with little sense of what's to come other than the predictions we've made based on what's happened to date. Gotta say that the writing crew is pretty top notch and always seem to be at least a step or two ahead of our prognostications.

ggsantafe is online now  
post #2977 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

True that - I edited my post to reflect there are spoiler alerts in the recap
Some guys around here can get upset over stuff like that.
I read a couple of things at the link and got out before I learned too much.wink.gif

Quote:
Gotta say that the writing crew is pretty top notch and always seem to be at least a step or two ahead of our prognostications.
+1

Some of the best writing I have ever seen on the small screen.smile.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #2978 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lonwolf615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: s.beloit,il,usa
Posts: 4,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Some of the best writing I have ever seen on the small screen.smile.gif

I wouldn't limit it to the small screen. There aren't a lot of films being made today that can match Justified's writing, imo.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
lonwolf615 is offline  
post #2979 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
jandron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post



I wouldn't limit it to the small screen. There aren't a lot of films being made today that can match Justified's writing, imo.

Aww, you guys...I'm blushing FOR my son, who incidentally co-wrote last nights episode...smile.gif
Young C, jaypb and Doug Wallen like this.
jandron is offline  
post #2980 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post

Aww, you guys...I'm blushing FOR my son, who incidentally co-wrote last nights episode...smile.gif

Awesome! smile.gif
Young C is offline  
post #2981 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,424
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

"Let’s start with the big scene toward the end when Roscoe (Steve Harris) and Jay (Wood Harris) ambush Boyd, Wynn, Picker, and Darryl. Boyd suggests a shootout out of frustration, and then Raylan and Miller walk in: “Miller, would you call this a herd, a gaggle, or a flock of a–holes?” “I would call this a United Nations of a–holes.” It was so good, I kept wanting to press pause so it wouldn’t come to an end."
Terrific scene.

Been missing Avon Barksdale.
DSperber is offline  
post #2982 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

I wouldn't limit it to the small screen. There aren't a lot of films being made today that can match Justified's writing, imo.
This seems to be the subject of the day here at AVS....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post

Aww, you guys...I'm blushing FOR my son, who incidentally co-wrote last nights episode...smile.gif
You have every right to be proud.smile.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #2983 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
ggsantafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Solar Powered in the Land of Enchantment
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Terrific scene.

Been missing Avon Barksdale.

Yeah - i knew I recognized that Dude from somewhere. Wood Harris & Steve Harris - the Hammer & the Anvil, are real life brothers

ggsantafe is online now  
post #2984 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lonwolf615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: s.beloit,il,usa
Posts: 4,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

Well, one of the reasons the episode is so great - is all the episodes preceding it this season that set up the convergence of the clans. Here's a great summary of one of the best scenes this season:

"Let’s start with the big scene toward the end when Roscoe (Steve Harris) and Jay (Wood Harris) ambush Boyd, Wynn, Picker, and Darryl. Boyd suggests a shootout out of frustration, and then Raylan and Miller walk in: “Miller, would you call this a herd, a gaggle, or a flock of a–holes?” “I would call this a United Nations of a–holes.” It was so good, I kept wanting to press pause so it wouldn’t come to an end."

Great info (spoiler alerts) can be found in the weekly EW update with Graham Yost here: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/12/justified-postmortem-wrong-roads-eric-roberts/

And the scene got even better-2 thugs referencing King Lear(!) and then Robert's saying you have 3 seconds, and exactly 3 seconds later...bang! Just like Raylan would have done, they were clearly kindred spirits.

jandron: I missed the writing credits for some reason-I usually pay attention to those. I was going to go back and check but decided not to. It was clear your son had a hand in it, either as writer or ex. producer. It had his trademark channeling of the EL style. I suspect there is an emmy or 2 in his future. Or should be...

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
lonwolf615 is offline  
post #2985 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
philw1776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Back in New Hampshire
Posts: 1,371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

Yeah - i knew I recognized that Dude from somewhere. Wood Harris & Steve Harris - the Hammer & the Anvil, are real life brothers

Yes, but are they brother brothers?
philw1776 is offline  
post #2986 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

Yes, but are they brother brothers?
LOL, there is always a comedian out there....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #2987 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
ggsantafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Solar Powered in the Land of Enchantment
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

Yes, but are they brother brothers?

Brothers in Fact & Fiction : http://iamsonothollywood.com/2013/12/17/exclusive-the-harris-brothers-get-justified/

ggsantafe is online now  
post #2988 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jamieva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 2,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Great great episode last night.

Side note the actor that plays Dewey has signed on to be on Vince Gilligan's new show Battle Creek.. It's a network show but the cast is pretty decent.
jamieva is offline  
post #2989 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 1,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Help me out with something. Danny was in the tow truck but I thought that Danny also is the one who came to Dewey's place and took Kendal's $2,000. Didn't Wendy say that Darryl needed to be bailed out? Or was that Darryl? If it were Danny, it doesn't make sense.

Why didn't Miller and Raylan take the whole bunch in?

As to Boyd taking care of the old dude, that was straight from the Godfather complete with the leaving the car to take a leak.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
daryl zero is online now  
post #2990 of 3260 Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
73shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: KC, MO area
Posts: 2,235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 48
it was Daryl that took Kendall's money.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
73shark is offline  
post #2991 of 3260 Old 03-13-2014, 12:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Help me out with something. Danny was in the tow truck but I thought that Danny also is the one who came to Dewey's place and took Kendal's $2,000.
IIRC, it was Darryl.

Quote:
Why didn't Miller and Raylan take the whole bunch in?
Other than something piddly, what would be the crime?

Quote:
As to Boyd taking care of the old dude, that was straight from the Godfather complete with the leaving the car to take a leak.
I hadn't thought of that, but you have a point.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #2992 of 3260 Old 03-13-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

As to Boyd taking care of the old dude, that was straight from the Godfather complete with the leaving the car to take a leak.

Michael Corleone and Boyd have frighteningly similar hair. Pretense was the same... "we'll set you up..." (although Clemenza was much scarier than Boyd's crony).
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

Why didn't Miller and Raylan take the whole bunch in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post


Other than something piddly, what would be the crime?

Being a United Nations of A-holes? I'm sure there's a statute.
hernanu is online now  
post #2993 of 3260 Old 03-13-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 59
It's getting ridiculous the lengths they go to keep Ava's plot alive.

Boyd's got enough to deal with but now he's got to whack some old man and Ava has to kill someone in prison? That's not going to help get her released quickly, is it?
wco81 is offline  
post #2994 of 3260 Old 03-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
ggsantafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Solar Powered in the Land of Enchantment
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 67


Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Michael Corleone and Boyd have frighteningly similar hair. Pretense was the same... "we'll set you up..." (although Clemenza was much scarier than Boyd's crony).

Being a United Nations of A-holes? I'm sure there's a statute.

ggsantafe is online now  
post #2995 of 3260 Old 03-13-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Being a United Nations of A-holes? I'm sure there's a statute.
If ONLY there was...we could make this country real again.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

It's getting ridiculous the lengths they go to keep Ava's plot alive.
I don't understand why she is even in prison...
The dude who was stabbed is in the wind and the female prisoner has no cause to testify against her now.....confused.gif

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #2996 of 3260 Old 03-13-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lonwolf615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: s.beloit,il,usa
Posts: 4,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

If ONLY there was...we could make this country real again.wink.gif
I don't understand why she is even in prison...
The dude who was stabbed is in the wind and the female prisoner has no cause to testify against her now.....confused.gif

Aw c'mon guys. You know they are doing it for a reason. Have a little faith, this show never disappoints.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
lonwolf615 is offline  
post #2997 of 3260 Old 03-13-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Michael Corleone and Boyd have frighteningly similar hair. Pretense was the same... "we'll set you up..." (although Clemenza was much scarier than Boyd's crony).

Being a United Nations of A-holes? I'm sure there's a statute.

The first thing I thought of when Boyd got out of the car was The Godfather. That was cleverly done. Hadn't thought about Boyd's hair but I think he differs from Michael Corleone in a fundamental way. While Michael delusionally thought he was gong to make the family totally legitimate, Boyd seems to understand that he is a career criminal. What the hell, though, he is good at it. smile.gif There is one similarity between Michael and Boyd I just thought of, Boyd is as brilliant as Michael was.
gwsat is offline  
post #2998 of 3260 Old 03-13-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Aw c'mon guys. You know they are doing it for a reason.
I hope it isn't for the obvious reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Boyd is as brilliant as Michael was.
This...

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #2999 of 3260 Old 03-13-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
daryl zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 1,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The first thing I thought of when Boyd got out of the car was The Godfather. That was cleverly done. Hadn't thought about Boyd's hair but I think he differs from Michael Corleone in a fundamental way. While Michael delusionally thought he was gong to make the family totally legitimate, Boyd seems to understand that he is a career criminal. What the hell, though, he is good at it. smile.gif There is one similarity between Michael and Boyd I just thought of, Boyd is as brilliant as Michael was.

Well also Michael was the all-American kid (youngest of 3 brothers) who wasn't involved in the family business until he was pulled in. Boyd has been bad news for quite a while. He's just become more refined in his evil deeds.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
daryl zero is online now  
post #3000 of 3260 Old 03-13-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lonwolf615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: s.beloit,il,usa
Posts: 4,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Boyd's dream is to own a DQ...don't think Michael would settle for that. smile.gif

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
lonwolf615 is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off