"Justified" on FX HD - Page 118 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3511 of 3523 Old 03-04-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
I WANT MORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 'Middle of Nowhere
Posts: 1,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Throw away episode save for the last five minutes or so.

Perhaps I misremembered.

I WANT MORE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3512 of 3523 Old 03-04-2015, 11:08 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 572
I thought it was a good episode, we saw Art parry with Markham, and those sorts of scenes of people doing verbal battle are always good in this show. And we saw our two main protagonists basically squaring away their domestic situations ahead of the coming end run/final battle.
Keenan is online now  
post #3513 of 3523 Old 03-04-2015, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 11,785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 590
I didn't mind Ava and Boyd this week since it was suspenseful and kept me guessing how that would play out all the way to the end.

But Raylan and the baby? Sure, we need to see how dedicated he is to being a father but to have him babysitting the entire episode just felt like an episode wasted for Raylan.


VisionOn is offline  
post #3514 of 3523 Old 03-04-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,931
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
I didn't mind Ava and Boyd this week since it was suspenseful and kept me guessing how that would play out all the way to the end.

But Raylan and the baby? Sure, we need to see how dedicated he is to being a father but to have him babysitting the entire episode just felt like an episode wasted for Raylan.
I agree that the scene in the woods with Boyd and Ava was hair-raising. Seeing Boyd take the empty clip out of the hand gun that he had given to Ava, ostensibly to kill him if she wanted, made my blood run cold. Boyd is a scary scary dude, it is with good reason that Ava is scared to death of him.

I loved having Winona back in this episode. It was enough for me to forgive the slightly boring scenes when Raylan had the baby with him. I think Raglan's 51-49 estimate that he and Winona will make a go of it this time is probably optimistic.
gwsat is online now  
post #3515 of 3523 Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jamieva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 2,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Ava is only useful to Boyd as long as he can use her to keep Raylan chasing his tail for a while. Once that usefulness is gone there is no reason for Boyd to keep Ava alive.
jamieva is online now  
post #3516 of 3523 Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
ggsantafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Solar Powered in the Land of Enchantment
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post
Ava is only useful to Boyd as long as he can use her to keep Raylan chasing his tail for a while. Once that usefulness is gone there is no reason for Boyd to keep Ava alive.
Agreed - I think Ava's chances of getting out of Harlan alive are a lot less then Raylan's 51% estimate that he & Winona stay together.
ggsantafe is online now  
post #3517 of 3523 Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jdog35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I have to say I agree that Ava's survival percentage just took a HUGE hit this week. I had a feeling Boyd would give her that chance to pull the trigger, and my gut told me it would be empty, but the fact she had no reason to believe the gun was empty I think shows her true feelings for Boyd. I also fully believe that Boyd does love Ava and would be willing to look past what she did because of that love. He knows how brutal prison is, and was for her, so he can empathize with her on that front. That alone is the reason I am fairly confident when Ava does bite the bullet it won't be at the hands of Boyd.

I still think my previous theory of Art not surviving either is holding steady. I definitely think his sit-down with Markham sealed his fate...and consequently that of Raylan's. That scene was fantastic btw!!! The comments about hair loss and impotence were classic!


I still think Art's loss will send Raylan off the deep-end moreso than any other character (save for his daughter who Markham has now seen in person as well...not a good thing either). Art has always had the fatherly role with Raylan, and he is definitely tempting his personal fate by poking the Markham-bear in the box this week.

With regard to Raylan and his new domestication protocol, this week sealed the deal in my mind as well that Raylan will not live to see his daughter grow up. Winona's conversation about wanting to go back to the way it was (not knowing when/if he would be coming home at nights) is going to be retrospective foreshadowing. I literally visualized this week like the scene from "The Perfect Storm" when Clooney and the boys are on the boat and the weather begins to clear. All the deckhands start rejoicing that they are going to make it, but Clooney and his stubble obviously have the most experience to know, "She's not going to let us out." This episode was that clear-weather patch just before the death knell crashes down on everyone.

Big Dumb Mammal

Last edited by Jdog35; Yesterday at 11:35 AM. Reason: Format issue
Jdog35 is offline  
post #3518 of 3523 Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
McDonoughDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post
Especially Boyd swapping out the blanks. However a blank to the forehead can be just as fatal.
Gun looked unloaded, no bullets in the clip or chamber.
gwsat likes this.
McDonoughDawg is offline  
post #3519 of 3523 Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
McDonoughDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Not a good episode.


A few things bothered me tonight.
1) Walker's car dies, he shoots the ambulance dudes, runs off in the woods instead of taking the free wheels.
2) The Ava/Boyd Game of Love & Betrayal became eye-rollingly bad soap.
3) Raylan and Winona once more FTW...duh.


Hopefully, the rest of the remaining episodes will show more imagination and ambition than this one.
As to not taking the ambulance, I could see it being very easy to trace/follow/find....

All in all, a good episode, a lot going on...
McDonoughDawg is offline  
post #3520 of 3523 Old Today, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,634
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 844
I think the main reason Raylan "brought his daughter to work" was so the writers could set up that Avery now knows Raylan has a daughter, thus a weakness. Future leverage, perhaps.
archiguy is online now  
post #3521 of 3523 Old Today, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 27,865
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I loved having Winona back in this episode. It was enough for me to forgive the slightly boring scenes when Raylan had the baby with him. I think Raglan's 51-49 estimate that he and Winona will make a go of it this time is probably optimistic.
Hey!
Don't be so pessimistic concerning the power of love!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog35 View Post
the fact she had no reason to believe the gun was empty I think shows her true feelings for Boyd. I also fully believe that Boyd does love Ava and would be willing to look past what she did because of that love. He knows how brutal prison is, and was for her, so he can empathize with her on that front.
Agreed.

Quote:
he is definitely tempting his personal fate by poking the Markham-bear in the box this week.
If Markham is anything, he is a survivor.
Killing Art jeopardizes that considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg View Post
As to not taking the ambulance, I could see it being very easy to trace/follow/find....
He was wounded, on foot, in unfamiliar woods.
If nothing else, take the ambulance to get to a better getaway car.


Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I think the main reason Raylan "brought his daughter to work" was so the writers could set up that Avery now knows Raylan has a daughter, thus a weakness. Future leverage, perhaps.
Exactly.

Only girly-men push The Red Button.
oink is online now  
post #3522 of 3523 Old Today, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Distorted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Antonio, Tx Area
Posts: 1,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 60
What was the deal with Wagner giving his buddy and Markham a location to be found, and Markham arguing to the buddy that, "You know he isn't there?" As we found out, he wasn't there.

.........

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Distorted is online now  
post #3523 of 3523 Old Today, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 18,634
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
What was the deal with Wagner giving his buddy and Markham a location to be found, and Markham arguing to the buddy that, "You know he isn't there?" As we found out, he wasn't there.
Walker knows Avery well enough by now to figure out he would betray him as soon as he got in trouble and his usefulness was at an end. And that his buddy would be tempted to betray him as well (no honor among thieves and all). So Walker was doing the same thing he did with those frat boys - try to throw his pursuers off the scent.
archiguy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off