"Justified" on FX HD - Page 131 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 247Likes
post #3901 of 3924 Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post
Asked Dave where that shoot-out was shot, he said it's Bouquet Reservoir in Green Valley, about 20 miles NE of Santa Clarita. I guess it really is a green valley!
https://www.google.com/maps/place/An...04bea62fc51d91
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 3924 Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post
Asked Dave where that shoot-out was shot, he said it's Bouquet Reservoir in Green Valley, about 20 miles NE of Santa Clarita. I guess it really is a green valley!
Thanks!!!
post #3903 of 3924 Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post

Yep thats it... if this link properly takes you to the Google street view I believe this is the spot... give or take 100 feet.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.5874...P1o3Il73Ig!2e0
post #3904 of 3924 Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 119
What was the last scene again?

Raylan visiting Boyd in prison?
post #3905 of 3924 Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep. Really gonna miss the show. Raylan just might be my favorite TV character ever.
JoeTiVo likes this.
post #3906 of 3924 Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Now I only have Game of Thrones and sports to keep me on cable.
With HBO going to cable-free, I don't even have that now. At this point, I think the only "cable" shows I have going for me are BBC shows, none of which are currently airing. I will watch Orphan Black when it comes back. The same with Luther and Sherlock. For Dr. Who, I've taken to just waiting until I can binge watch it via streaming.

A number of m shows have ended "recently". I've come to find very little stepping in to replace shows as they depart. I was really excited for Forever, as I thought it was going to take up some slack, but it now seems very unlikely that Forever will be renewed, leaving me with even less to watch.
post #3907 of 3924 Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 670
I rewatched the Series Finale and noticed something I had missed the first time. After the shootout in the Bennett's drying barn, Boyd tried to kill Ava but the hammer of Boyd's gun clicked on an empty chamber twice. Boyd was using a semiautomatic handgun. Every one of those I have had any acquaintance would lock the slide in its rearmost position after the last round is fired, so there is no doubt whether there is ammunition remaining in the gun. Was Boyd's gun different? Was he playing a mind game with Ava? It beats me.
Garrett Adams, Young C and jamieva like this.

Last edited by gwsat; Today at 08:37 AM.
post #3908 of 3924 Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I rewatched the Series Finale and noticed something I had missed the first time. After the shootout in the Bennett's drying barn, Boyd tried to kill Ava but the hammer of Boyd's gun clicked on an empty chamber twice. Boyd was using a semiautomatic handgun. Every one of those I have had any acquaintance with lock the slide in its rearmost position after the last round is fired, so there is no doubt whether there is ammunition remaining in the gun. Was Boyd's gun different? Was he playing a mind game with Ava? It beats me.
Good catch! Has me wondering.
post #3909 of 3924 Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I've only owned two semi-automatics, a Walther P38 and a BDA-380. The slide locks on the former but not on the latter.
post #3910 of 3924 Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Boyd was using a Beretta 92FS, so nothing special about that. I'm going to put it down to production error given that Boyd was using it seconds before to kill everyone else in the barn and didn't really have the opportunity or time to mess with it.

post #3911 of 3924 Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
I
but the hammer of Boyd's gun clicked on an empty chamber twice. Boyd was using a semiautomatic
Unless Boyd cocked the hammer manually, how could he pull the trigger twice on an empty chamber?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #3912 of 3924 Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
I rewatched the Series Finale and noticed something I had missed the first time. After the shootout in the Bennett's drying barn, Boyd tried to kill Ava but the hammer of Boyd's gun clicked on an empty chamber twice. Boyd was using a semiautomatic handgun. Every one of those I have had any acquaintance with lock the slide in its rearmost position after the last round is fired, so there is no doubt whether there is ammunition remaining in the gun. Was Boyd's gun different? Was he playing a mind game with Ava? It beats me.
If you read Walton Goggins' interviews, he says that his character knew the gun was empty. He also says that there was an extended scene that he wanted where he put the gun to his own head and pulled the trigger (also empty) but was cut. He pretty much says that Boyd was at the end of his rope. Which kind of makes it odd that he didn't commit suicide by cop when his gun was empty by raising it to Raylan. They did something similar in Out of Sight where Foley emptied his gun and pointed it a Sisco in hopes she would kill him instead of going to prison.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/10...lks-series-end

I definitely think that in that moment, you realize that Boyd is baiting Raylan, and really only in a halfhearted way. More than anything, he’s exhausted.

He has nothing left, and the last thing that he needed to do was to see her one more time and convey to her that he loved her, and the pain that he felt. There’s one part that they cut out, and I was very disappointed that they cut it out, that would have made it a little clearer, and in hindsight I think it’s the best thing, but…when Boyd pulls that trigger on Ava two times, he knows that there are no bullets in that gun. There’s a shot that Adam Arkin did, and a suggestion that he made, that was so appropriate in that moment where, after I fired that gun at Ava two times, Adam had me take the gun and point it at my own head and pull the trigger. And it was so powerful, for me as an actor, just the symbolic nature of that act and what it represented. It was like, in my worst, darkest nightmare, this is what I want to do to you because this is what I want to do to myself. He would never do it. But I’m happy to hear you say that the tonality, and the quality of that exchange, came through without that shot.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #3913 of 3924 Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Unless Boyd cocked the hammer manually, how could he pull the trigger twice on an empty chamber?
The Beretta is a double action pistol. Pulling the trigger cocks the hammer.

I've noticed that too that many times for dramatic effect, the character not realizing the pistol was empty will pull the trigger several times getting the click click click when actually the slide should be locked back when the magazine has been emptied.

I tend to overlook the fact because this show is about characters and not about gunfighting.
gwsat likes this.
post #3914 of 3924 Old Today, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
Wow, it seems like unanimous praise for the finale of a great show. I was very pleased with how it ended.

Time now to watch this seasons The Americans and see if it lives up to its hype.
It does, and then some. Especially now that this show has wrapped, 'The Americans' is the "Best show on TV, full-stop" (thanks to the brilliant Andy Greenwald of Grantland for that quote).
post #3915 of 3924 Old Today, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I wish I could say that - SlingTV with the HBO option would be a perfect fit...
Yeah, OTA with a Tivo would keep me happy, especially with HBO going online. Then you've got some of the sports channels creating streaming options.

It'll be interesting, outside of sports and HBO on cable right now, I stream Netflix and Amazon for movies and documentaries, VUDU for high quality movies. If soccer and the local sports (Bruins and Celtics) go online, I'm done.

For Justified, I'll buy the blurays and enjoy those for years.
post #3916 of 3924 Old Today, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 89
It's not nearly at the same level as Justified but Daredevil on Netflix is doing a good job at filling the void left by Raylan and co. DD is much better than those network superhero shows and like Justified has a violent hero and a very interesting villain. Give it a shot if you need a show to watch, can do much worse.
Keenan and gwsat like this.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #3917 of 3924 Old Today, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Yeah, OTA with a Tivo would keep me happy, especially with HBO going online. Then you've got some of the sports channels creating streaming options.

It'll be interesting, outside of sports and HBO on cable right now, I stream Netflix and Amazon for movies and documentaries, VUDU for high quality movies. If soccer and the local sports (Bruins and Celtics) go online, I'm done.

For Justified, I'll buy the blurays and enjoy those for years.
SlingTV has ESPN1 and 2, plus a handful of cable channels - I think TNT, TBS, maybe HIST and AMC but no FX or BBCA. I think the $15 HBO add-on is both live and on-demand - not sure if there's any difference with HBO's own subscription service. Also not sure if quality is comparable to cable, and I wouldn't assume the Sling package is immune to Dish's perennial fights with content providers...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #3918 of 3924 Old Today, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
It's not nearly at the same level as Justified but Daredevil on Netflix is doing a good job at filling the void left by Raylan and co. DD is much better than those network superhero shows and like Justified has a violent hero and a very interesting villain. Give it a shot if you need a show to watch, can do much worse.
Couldn't agree more with your assessment of Daredevil. Charlie Cox, who has become one of my favorite actors was remarkable. Even his American accent was great, in a class with Hugh Laurie and Damien Lewis's.
JudgeSmails likes this.
post #3919 of 3924 Old Today, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
It does, and then some. Especially now that this show has wrapped, 'The Americans' is the "Best show on TV, full-stop" (thanks to the brilliant Andy Greenwald of Grantland for that quote).
I watched 2 eps and then felt that it wasn't going anywhere unpredictable. I do appreciate Andy Greenwald's opinion on this and yours. Sell me on it.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #3920 of 3924 Unread Today, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I watched 2 eps and then felt that it wasn't going anywhere unpredictable. I do appreciate Andy Greenwald's opinion on this and yours. Sell me on it.
It's just brilliant. I've been saying it's the best thing on TV since that first season. And, like 'Breaking Bad' and precious few others, it gets better every year. Emmy worthy acting from Matthew Rhys and Felci...um, Keri Russell. Another outstanding performance from Margo Martindale (she's back this week!). Clever plotting and enough tension in most episodes to cause your nails to have to be surgically removed from your palms (c'mon, don't be a wuss; doesn't hurt that much).
post #3921 of 3924 Unread Today, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 69
the americans got significantly better in season 2. not that season 1 was bad, but season 2 it went up a notch and stayed there
post #3922 of 3924 Unread Today, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Loved how it all ended. Thought it was just about perfect. Raylan was never going to shoot Boyd in cold blood, but he would have relished killing him in a "justified" manner. Which means he was irredeemable to some extent. And that's why he didn't end up with the girl in the end. That made sense to me.

But at least he got out of Harlan alive. Boyd and Avery? Not so much (Boyd will probably die in prison). Also nice to see Ava making it out. Nobody will ever find her now. And Wynn Duffy escapes and survives! But succumbs to melanoma caused by that tanning bed a few years down the road.

And good luck to Loretta in the weed business! Gal's gotta' make a living...
post #3923 of 3924 Unread Today, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 69
i think the overall point was you can physically leave Harlan but you never truly escape it.
post #3924 of 3924 Unread Today, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 70
♫You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave♬

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming