AVS Forum banner

"Justified" on FX HD

224K views 4K replies 204 participants last post by  boootriley 
#1 ·

Quote:
JUSTIFIED is the story of Deputy U.S. Marshal RAYLAN GIVENS (Timothy Olyphant), a true-blue hero and something of a throwback, given to wearing a Stetson and cowboy boots, carrying his sidearm in a hip holster – a weapon he only draws when he has to, and when he does, he shoots to kill, because, as he sees it, that’s the purpose of a gun.

Raylan was born and reared in the hill country of eastern Kentucky. It was in Harlan where he played ball, chased girls and dug coal. And it was from Harlan, at age 19, that he ran, determined to become a U.S. Marshal. Now, years later, after shooting a gun thug in a Miami hotel and thereby incurring the wrath of his Marshals Service superiors, Raylan has been sent in punishment (and by fate?) to the one place to which he vowed he would never return – Kentucky.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/orig...outTheShow.php

I'm not sure what to make of this yet. It looks vaguely like Walker: Texas Ranger for 2010, but the idea of Olyphant playing another old West-style marshal could be good, but then again it's another crime drama with another quirky lead character ...

Starts Tues Mar 16, 10pm.

#377 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/19993731

In his commentary track to the Season 1 Justified BD set the show's creator, Graham Yost, said he had as a goal the selection of writers who appreciated Elmore Leonard's work and could write in a way that captured Leonard's quirky characters. He stressed the importance of the writers asking themselves when they were writing scenes, "What would Elmore do?" He even had some Lance Armstrong type rubber bracelets made with "WWED" printed on them and handed them out to his writers. I strongly suspect that Yost still does that.

As a new-comer to the show, I was heartened to see that E. Leonard was Executive Producer of the show. Does he take an active part in the way the individual writers produce the tone of the show?

#378 ·
Finally watched the season opener yesterday,Loved it
looks like another winner coming this year,and really enjoyed last year also.The montage of previews of upcoming shows was well done and looking forward to each episode.

#380 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted /forum/post/20000569

As a new-comer to the show, I was heartened to see that E. Leonard was Executive Producer of the show. Does he take an active part in the way the individual writers produce the tone of the show?

As I understand it, he really doesn't take a day-to-day active role, but he really believes in this project and is supplying ideas in the form of more stores about Raylan that he has encouraged the writers to 'strip for parts', i.e. use story and character bits they find appropriate. He's been a tremendous resource for the writers, and his blessing of the show means a great deal--he really hasn't been behind any previous attempts to bring his characters to TV.

#381 ·
Another solid episode last night. The line of the show-I'll paraphrase because I don't remember it verbatim-was from Mags Bennett talking to Loretta (the teenage girl) about the whereabouts of her father. Knowing that she had her sons throw Loretta's father's body down a mineshaft at night, she tells Loretta: Yeah, to protect your father we had to send him south. It's too bad that we had to do it in the middle of the night to avoid detection by the Federals.

I really like Mags character on the show. Though I think we all must acknowledge that she's a black hat, like many such characters on Justified she has redeeming characteristics. For example, her desire to protect Loretta from harm. On the other hand, watching Mags in action you have to wonder about her intentions for Loretta. Obviously, she wants to serve as a mother-figure but to what end? To become a well adjusted, law abiding citizen, or Mags MKII...

It looks like Ava is going to hook up with Boyd and you know what, that could actually be a good match. If you think about it in aggregate Boyd treated her better than Ryland did.

It also looks like we're going to have competition between Ryland and Winona's husband. I like Ryland's chances in the end. Though Winona has complained about Ryland's flaws on more than one occasion (most-if not all of them legitimate), she is attracted to those flaws.

Listen to me: I sound like a gossip queen around the water cooler waxing on the latest soap opera. But when you stop and think about it, isn't that what Justified is-a soap opera? It just happens to be a really good, action packed one.

#382 ·
I enjoyed this week's Justified, too. I really like Winona's interaction with Raylan. She understands him, warts and all, better than anybody. I also enjoyed the talkative psychopath who Tim took out with a head shot near the end of the episode. It's always nice, not to mention unusual, for someone other that Raylan to shoot and kill a bad guy.

I still don't quite know what to make of Boyd in his present iteration. Maybe he is trying to live a straight life in order to make Ava happy but Boyd has had hidden agendas so often, I never have much confidence in what his motivation might be.

Anyway, Justified continues to be my favorite TV drama; I look forward to the new one every week.

#383 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat
I still don't quite know what to make of Boyd in his present iteration. Maybe he is trying to live a straight life in order to make Ava happy but Boyd has had hidden agendas so often, I never have much confidence in what his motivation might be.
Agreed: Boyd is like the proverbial box of chocolates isn't he? Of course, that just makes his character that much more compelling.

#384 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett
Agreed: Boyd is like the proverbial box of chocolates isn't he? Of course, that just makes his character that much more compelling.
Indeed! And who could be better as the enigmatic and charismatic Boyd Crowder than the talented Walton Goggins?

#386 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett /forum/post/20020452

The line of the show-I'll paraphrase because I don't remember it verbatim-was from Mags Bennett talking to Loretta (the teenage girl) about the whereabouts of her father. Knowing that she had her sons throw Loretta's father's body down a mineshaft at night, she tells Loretta: Yeah, to protect your father we had to send him south. It's too bad that we had to do it in the middle of the night to avoid detection by the Federals.

She also had the line of the week last week:

"We're reefer farmers, Raylan. We don't consort with sexual deviants!"

#389 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes /forum/post/20023235

I agree with you guys. The new season so far is just as good as last season. And I'm going to repeat what I said before. Winona is friggen hot!

Loved tonight's show, glad to see Boyd getting more air time and while Winona is hot, so is Ava and I like her character a lot. I like Coover too, 'Did you get the Oxy?'

#390 ·

I forgot to watch this again. I love this show but this is the second week that I forget about it. Now I have to record the Friday at midnight airing-- again.
I was too involved with the KNICKS and the debut of 'Mello!' tonight.

I have to set this show up as a series recording, especially now, since I got my new STB from Fios with a 500GB hard drive.
(And soon to add a 1TB external hard drive too.

#391 ·
About Raylan seeing his co-worker at the bar....were we to assume that Tim is gay after we see him at the bar standing next to another guy? 50 miles outside of town...Tim and Raylan going to a bar far away from where they live/work for different reasons?

I LOVE the interactions between Raylan and Art. Awesome dialogue and timing.

Boyd's character sure is complex.

The Bennett boys and Mom sure seem to be gearing up to have a nice showdown with Raylan....and the Dixie Mob. Can't WAIT to see where this season goes.

#392 ·
I'm taking a sabbatical from live shows until I catch up after buying last season on dvd. I'm hooked.

#393 ·
Interesting point about Tim. I didn't consider that but on top of your observation from last night's show, I don't recall ever seeing him with the opposite sex in any episode.

I agree about Ryland and Art. It's fun to watch. Art was clearly irritated about Ryland staying at the start of the season but in truth, you know Art would miss Ryland if he returned to Florida. Where else would he get such good, cheap entertainment.

Based on next week's trailer, it looks like we can look forward to some-escalation between the law, the Bennetts, and the Dixie Mob-not to mention the "fourth element"-Boyd Crowder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb /forum/post/20054705

About Raylan seeing his co-worker at the bar....were we to assume that Tim is gay after we see him at the bar standing next to another guy? 50 miles outside of town...Tim and Raylan going to a bar far away from where they live/work for different reasons?

I LOVE the interactions between Raylan and Art. Awesome dialogue and timing.

Boyd's character sure is complex.

The Bennett boys and Mom sure seem to be gearing up to have a nice showdown with Raylan....and the Dixie Mob. Can't WAIT to see where this season goes.

#395 ·

Quote:

...were we to assume that Tim is gay after we see him at the bar standing next to another guy? 50 miles outside of town...

Was he drinking an appletini?

Perhaps he's just a big music fan? Maybe his character was there to cause problems for Raylan and the ex wife?

I guess we'll have to keep an eye on him to see who he stands next to, next week.

#396 ·

Quote:

I noticed that too, and drew the same conclusion.

We'll see, I'm sure. There was a reason they wrote that into the scene.

#397 ·
I loved this week's Justified. Just trying to figure out where poor conflicted Boyd is coming from is worth the price of admission. As Boyd's coworker learned to his sorrow, it's not a good idea to press Boyd too hard on the subject.

I also loved the return of Dewey Crowe, perhaps the funniest, and dumbest, crook I have ever seen. Both Ava and Winona are southern honeys from central casting. I have a hard time trying to decide which of the two is the most scrumptious.

Justified is a great show with great characters, perhaps the best on TV these days.

#398 ·
I don't think there is any 'Tim is gay' sub plot. They wanted to have him there to advance the story, and when you think about it, it's perfectly acceptable for a guy to be in a honky-tonk with other guys listening to a band. It's been published elsewhere that Yost is a big fan of Dave Alvin, and after he wrote a song inspired by Justified, they worked him into the show.

#400 ·
My favorite line of the night came from Dewey. Something to the effect of "shut-up before I start putting bullets in places that bleed." This is a great show. I was a little cold on it after the first couple epi's of the first season but it became pretty great soon after. I'm very glad they decided to give Walt Goggins a much larger role. He is awesome.

#401 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb /forum/post/0

I must admit, I flashed on the same thing, if for no other reason than Tim was no more interested in seeing Rayland than Rayland was of seeing him. But I hope not. Not for this show.