"Justified" on FX HD - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 3263 Old 04-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
TedSeattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Question about tonight's episode: why did Black Pike agree to Mags Bennett's demands when they still had the option of trying to claim eminent domain? Or was that just a bluff?
TedSeattle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 3263 Old 04-07-2011, 12:01 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mikey mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 2,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post
Question about tonight's episode: why did Black Pike agree to Mags Bennett's demands when they still had the option of trying to claim eminent domain? Or was that just a bluff?
Many state constitutions require a jury of 12 to hear an eminent domain case. Maybe they were scared of how 12 "good men" might decide.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

mikey mo is offline  
post #543 of 3263 Old 04-07-2011, 02:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
jabbathespud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: SFBA
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I think it was that the coal company could get claims on the coal bearing land, but not on the non-coal bearing land needed to gain access to the coal.
jabbathespud is offline  
post #544 of 3263 Old 04-07-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I really loved this week's show,
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
although I hated to lose Coover Bennett's character. As horrible as Coover was, he was also a tragic figure. His greed, stupidity, and low self esteem combined to make troubles for him, which first got him maimed at his mothers hand and ultimately cost him his life. Coover's difficulties proved that, as Shakespeare put it,

"When sorrows come, they come not single spies,
But in battalions!"

It's hard not to feel just a little sorry for Coover.
gwsat is offline  
post #545 of 3263 Old 04-07-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Brad William Henke is another one who deserves an Emmy for his exemplary work in this show. His depiction of a lethally wacko meth-head is like none other. The whole Bennett family, for that matter, has really stolen the show.

Jeremy Davies
Margo Martindale
rdgrimes is offline  
post #546 of 3263 Old 04-07-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Brad William Henke is another one who deserves an Emmy for his exemplary work in this show. His depiction of a lethally wacko meth-head is like none other. The whole Bennett family, for that matter, has really stolen the show.

Jeremy Davies
Margo Martindale

I agree that the lethal Bennett clan has stolen the show this season. The more I see of the brilliant but homicidal Mags the more I realize what a stone cold emotionless sociopath she is. The emotions she pretends are always just a tool for her to use to forward her underlying agenda. Her final scene in this week's episode was a classic example. After her emotional appeal to Raylan to let her see Loretta fails, she instantly turns to her son and in a calm and coldly angry tone says, "Let's go." It is a big mistake to take anything Mags says or does at face value.
gwsat is offline  
post #547 of 3263 Old 04-07-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Yes, Mags is a true sociopath. And she seems to enjoy it.

Quote:


I think it was that the coal company could get claims on the coal bearing land, but not on the non-coal bearing land needed to gain access to the coal.

Quote:


Many state constitutions require a jury of 12 to hear an eminent domain case. Maybe they were scared of how 12 "good men" might decide

It's about money, and time. If the coal company can use eminent domain to get the mountain, they can surely do the same for a road easement. But that requires time, lots of money for politicians and lawyers, suits for each parcel of land, etc, etc. And you can't predict with 100% certainty what the outcome will be or when. Mags appears to have made accurate calculations on the real costs of that process and inserted herself at the one weak point in the company's plan, which was the road.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #548 of 3263 Old 04-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
elockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSugino View Post

Wow. Just wow.

Indeed: IMO this was the best episode this season, which is saying a lot given how good this season has played so far. There were so many compelling scenes it's hard to pick to pick one that stood out. Having said this, I'll pick the end where Mags begs Raylan to see Loretta and when he says no she switches emotional gears on a dime and with a stare of death simply says "Lets Go..." In the immortal words of Astro from the Jestons I simply thought out loud: Wroh-Wroh!
elockett is offline  
post #549 of 3263 Old 04-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
elockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
On a tangent, if anyone wants to see Timothy Olyphant elsewhere he's currently playing on season 2 of Damages on the 101 network. Episodes 1-2 which introduced Olyphant aired last night. Based on what I've seen so far, Damages has proven to be almost as good as Justified and Olyphant's character should prove to be very entertaining.
elockett is offline  
post #550 of 3263 Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

It's about money, and time. If the coal company can use eminent domain to get the mountain, they can surely do the same for a road easement. But that requires time, lots of money for politicians and lawyers, suits for each parcel of land, etc, etc. And you can't predict with 100% certainty what the outcome will be or when. Mags appears to have made accurate calculations on the real costs of that process and inserted herself at the one weak point in the company's plan, which was the road.

Eminent domain statutes vary widely from state to state but characteristically have a lot of protection for condemnee landowners built into them. For example, in Oklahoma when condemnation proceedings are begun a panel of commissioners, appointed by the sheriff at the order of the district court reports its findings as to the value of the land. At that point the condemnor can go onto the property by paying the amount of the commissioner's award to the landowner or, if the landowner refuses and appeals, by paying the money into court. The condemnee has a right to a jury trial and if he gets an award from the jury larger by at least 10 percent than the commissioners awarded, he will also be entitled to "reasonable attorney, appraisal, engineering, and expert witness fees actually incurred because of the condemnation proceeding." Of course, the condemnor has to pay its own attorneys fees and expenses on top of what it might have to pay the condemnee.

As you can see eminent domain is potentially a long and expensive procedure, which can end up costing the condemnor a bunch of money. That's probably why Black Pike Coal decided that acceding to Mags' demands was the better part of valor.
gwsat is offline  
post #551 of 3263 Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
adpayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Camp Lake,WI
Posts: 1,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

That's probably why Black Pike Coal decided that acceding to Mags' demands was the better part of valor.

I also appreciated that they never disclosed the amount she asked for. Leave it up to the imagination.

Art
adpayne is offline  
post #552 of 3263 Old 04-07-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bruce73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post


Indeed: IMO this was the best episode this season, which is saying a lot given how good this season has played so far. There were so many compelling scenes it's hard to pick to pick one that stood out. Having said this, I'll pick the end where Mags begs Raylan to see Loretta and when he says no she switches emotional gears on a dime and with a stare of death simply says "Lets Go..." In the immortal words of Astro from the Jestons I simply thought out loud: Wroh-Wroh!

Agreed. I did exactly the same. Chills down the spine moment.

The bit of business that made me chuckle. though, was Raylan's splashing water on Dickie's face from a bong. Perfect.
bruce73 is offline  
post #553 of 3263 Old 04-07-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

I'll pick the end where Mags begs Raylan to see Loretta and when he says no she switches emotional gears on a dime and with a stare of death simply says "Lets Go..." In the immortal words of Astro from the Jestons I simply thought out loud: Wroh-Wroh!

Based on what we know of Mags, and the previews of next week's episode, It's safe to say that there will be some payback coming. In the immortal words of Khan: Revenge is a dish best served cold. I predict more dead Bennetts, the only question is how much collateral damage.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #554 of 3263 Old 04-07-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LL3HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Flushing, New York, USA
Posts: 5,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

...After her emotional appeal to Raylan to let her see Loretta fails, she instantly turns to her son and in a calm and coldly angry tone says, "Let's go." It is a big mistake to take anything Mags says or does at face value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

...Having said this, I'll pick the end where Mags begs Raylan to see Loretta and when he says no she switches emotional gears on a dime and with a stare of death simply says "Lets Go..." In the immortal words of Astro from the Jestons I simply thought out loud: Wroh-Wroh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

Agreed. Chills down the spine moment.

The bit of business that made me chuckle. though, was Raylan's splashing water on Dickie's face from a bong. Perfect.

Awesome acting! Excellent stuff!!!

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LL3HD is offline  
post #555 of 3263 Old 04-07-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

The bit of business that made me chuckle. though, was Raylan's splashing water on Dickie's face from a bong. Perfect.

That was dandy and contributed to the thrills in this week's show. First we think crazy out of control Coover has killed Dickie and then Raylan proves otherwise by throwing water in Dickie's face. Then, that suddenly humorous moment was followed by the overwhelmingly intense scene at the abandoned mine. Yikes!
gwsat is offline  
post #556 of 3263 Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RemyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 4,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If you looked closely your would have seen Dicky's skin and facial hair under his chin move just before they cut out of the scene after he was choked. Don't know if that was intentional or just the actor not being able to hold still long enough. I was saying he's not dead.
RemyM is offline  
post #557 of 3263 Old 04-09-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
philw1776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Back in New Hampshire
Posts: 1,371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post
If you looked closely your would have seen Dicky's skin and facial hair under his chin move just before they cut out of the scene after he was choked. Don't know if that was intentional or just the actor not being able to hold still long enough. I was saying he's not dead.
Same here. Never thought he was dead. In fact I (mistakenly) thought he faked being unconscious to avoid being killed by Cootah.
philw1776 is online now  
post #558 of 3263 Old 04-09-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Same here. Never thought he was dead. In fact I (mistakenly) thought he faked being unconscious to avoid being killed by Cootah.
FYI, his name is Coover.
rebkell is offline  
post #559 of 3263 Old 04-10-2011, 05:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

FYI, his name is Coover.

His name WAS Coover!

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
foxeng is online now  
post #560 of 3263 Old 04-10-2011, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

His name WAS Coover!

I was trying to stay out of spoiler land, I know it's after the fact and not necessary, but I did actually change it from was to is in the original post.
rebkell is offline  
post #561 of 3263 Old 04-10-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I was trying to stay out of spoiler land, I know it's after the fact and not necessary, but I did actually change it from was to is in the original post.

I understand but it has been five days since it aired. If someone hasn't watched their DVR or a repeat by now, I don't think it matters much. Just my opinion.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
foxeng is online now  
post #562 of 3263 Old 04-10-2011, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Finally watched the last 2 weeks that had been sitting on the DVR...

Wow, just wow.
Justified just keeps going from strength to strength.

Although Cougar Coover was an excellent wildcard character, it's been obvious for quite awhile he was not long for this world.
It seemed to me he was living on borrowed time as it was.
Nonetheless, good character and good performance.

Mags's "Let's go" scene was simply terrific....television at its best.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #563 of 3263 Old 04-11-2011, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Karnis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Frederick MD USA
Posts: 6,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Nothing wakes you up quicker from a chokehold-enduced sleep like a splash of bong water in the face.
Karnis is offline  
post #564 of 3263 Old 04-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bluto17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Not to distract from all the other great work that has been mentioned in the last week, but nobody mentioned Dickie's bloodcurdling scream at the end of bong-water scene. "DON'T YOU HURT MY BROTHER, RAYLAN!" I thought that was outstanding - it sent a shiver down my spine. Hell - the whole episode was outstanding.
Bluto17 is offline  
post #565 of 3263 Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bruce73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnis View Post

Nothing wakes you up quicker from a chokehold-enduced sleep like a splash of bong water in the face.

Ah, college days...
bruce73 is offline  
post #566 of 3263 Old 04-11-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 View Post

Not to distract from all the other great work that has been mentioned in the last week, but nobody mentioned Dickie's bloodcurdling scream at the end of bong-water scene. "DON'T YOU HURT MY BROTHER, RAYLAN!" I thought that was outstanding - it sent a shiver down my spine.

Me too and totally believable for me.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
post #567 of 3263 Old 04-11-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 View Post

Not to distract from all the other great work that has been mentioned in the last week, but nobody mentioned Dickie's bloodcurdling scream at the end of bong-water scene. "DON'T YOU HURT MY BROTHER, RAYLAN!" I thought that was outstanding - it sent a shiver down my spine. Hell - the whole episode was outstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Me too and totally believable for me.

I agree that Dickie's "Don't you hurt my brother" line was telling. As noted by Bluto17, it was chillingly effective but it told us some things, too. It showed how concerned Dickie was for his out of control brother, despite Coover having just nearly killed him. It demonstrated how well Dickie understood that Coover just might get himself killed at Raylan's hands and, indeed, he did.
gwsat is offline  
post #568 of 3263 Old 04-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Senior Member
 
goober22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Panama City, FL / Ft Walton Bch, FL
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

I understand but it has been five days since it aired. If someone hasn't watched their DVR or a repeat by now, I don't think it matters much. Just my opinion.

Sorry but I don't think much of your opinion. That's my opinion BTW. I'm 4 weeks behind due to family sickness. Some folks just seem to post "spoilers" without any regard to others.

"I watched it already so that's all that matters"!

There is a spoiler tag you know. But that's what the world has become - a "me, me me" world!!!

Well, Here's my Sig!!!
goober22 is offline  
post #569 of 3263 Old 04-11-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober22 View Post
Sorry but I don't think much of your opinion. That's my opinion BTW. I'm 4 weeks behind due to family sickness. Some folks just seem to post "spoilers" without any regard to others.

"I watched it already so that's all that matters"!

There is a spoiler tag you know. But that's what the world has become - a "me, me me" world!!!
My suggestion would be to stay away from reading this thread until you are caught up with your viewing. The consensus on this board regarding spoilers is once the episode has aired on the east coast it's fair game here in the discussion thread. West coast viewers have learned to stay away until they've had a chance to see the episode 3 hrs later, likewise for anyone who DVRs shows. I myself DVR Nurse Jackie but haven't viewed this week's ep so I haven't visited the discussion thread, I do that with several shows.

Think about it, if we never discussed what happened in the show, what we would we really need this thread for? Sure, there's postings about airtimes, cast information and reviews, but 99% of the posts in this thread discuss the show itself.
Keenan is offline  
post #570 of 3263 Old 04-11-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bruce73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober22

Sorry but I don't think much of your opinion. That's my opinion BTW. I'm 4 weeks behind due to family sickness. Some folks just seem to post "spoilers" without any regard to others.

"I watched it already so that's all that matters"!

There is a spoiler tag you know. But that's what the world has become - a "me, me me" world!!!
Be sure to let us know when you've caught up with your viewing.
bruce73 is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off