AVS Forum banner

"Justified" on FX HD

224K views 4K replies 204 participants last post by  boootriley 
#1 ·

Quote:
JUSTIFIED is the story of Deputy U.S. Marshal RAYLAN GIVENS (Timothy Olyphant), a true-blue hero and something of a throwback, given to wearing a Stetson and cowboy boots, carrying his sidearm in a hip holster – a weapon he only draws when he has to, and when he does, he shoots to kill, because, as he sees it, that’s the purpose of a gun.

Raylan was born and reared in the hill country of eastern Kentucky. It was in Harlan where he played ball, chased girls and dug coal. And it was from Harlan, at age 19, that he ran, determined to become a U.S. Marshal. Now, years later, after shooting a gun thug in a Miami hotel and thereby incurring the wrath of his Marshals Service superiors, Raylan has been sent in punishment (and by fate?) to the one place to which he vowed he would never return – Kentucky.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/orig...outTheShow.php

I'm not sure what to make of this yet. It looks vaguely like Walker: Texas Ranger for 2010, but the idea of Olyphant playing another old West-style marshal could be good, but then again it's another crime drama with another quirky lead character ...

Starts Tues Mar 16, 10pm.

#602 ·
Regretfully, I am loosing interest in this show. It use to be awesome, with Timothy playing a bad a** marshal that people were scared of. He use to be an insanely fast draw and an awesome shot. Now he misses most of his shots in routine "gun fights". The show has shifted from his focus to all these other character story lines and a lame does his boss know he stole the money or not. VERY light on action and more on talking. Getting frustrated, it is not as enjoyable as the first season and when I see it on my DVR to watch I groan a little bit as I worry if it will be another talk fest with more characters or about Rylan.

#603 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb
I want to say that he shot him around the same time his father was killed. In the season finale possibly? Right before the shootout at the cabin in the woods?

Anyone with Season 1 on DVD or On-Demand access able to verify?
He was shot on Ava's porch in the finale. I thought it was done by Boyd's father, but I could be mistaken. The assumption after the finale was that he didn't survive. I think that was why they crept up on his reveal this week.

#604 ·
Bo Crowder "gut-shot" cousin Johnnie on Ava's porch. It was done to make it look like Ava shot another Crowder and then disapeared

It was payback for Johnnie telling Boyd about the truckload of Miami ephedrine that Bo has brought in. Boyd blew it up and caused no end of trouble for Bo with the Miami cartel...

#606 ·
I'm guessing Gary needs money and can't afford the divorce. His trying to change the insurance beneficiary or cash out the policy was crucial to his paying off Wynn Duffy (bet the policy still pays out to RG). Failure to do that is causing Wynn to target Winona so that Gary can pay him off (which is why Gary broke down when Winona refused to budge on the insurance).

#607 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemcs /forum/post/20308064

Bo Crowder "gut-shot" cousin Johnnie on Ava's porch. It was done to make it look like Ava shot another Crowder and then disapeared

It was payback for Johnnie telling Boyd about the truckload of Miami ephedrine that Bo has brought in. Boyd blew it up and caused no end of trouble for Bo with the Miami cartel...

Thanks, I remember that scene now. At the time Bo shot Johnny, I thought he was just one more dead Harlan County criminal so I didn't make the connection when Johnny showed up alive but crippled and in a wheelchair this week.

#608 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud /forum/post/20308430

I'm guessing Gary needs money and can't afford the divorce. His trying to change the insurance beneficiary or cash out the policy was crucial to his paying off Wynn Duffy (bet the policy still pays out to RG). Failure to do that is causing Wynn to target Winona so that Gary can pay him off (which is why Gary broke down when Winona refused to budge on the insurance).

I agree. I always thought the target was Winona, not Raylan.

Art

#609 ·

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne /forum/post/20308673

Good thinking, guys! That makes a lot of sense.

#610 ·

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne /forum/post/20308673

Art

Excellent deductions. I also recall that the last gunman was shooting at Winona when Raylan took him out. There wasn't really much reason to do that unless she was the target.

#613 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/20309491

Doh!

I should have recognized that possibility.

I didn't see the previews...but that certainly makes more sense.

#614 ·
Just watched last week's episode. I am still laughing over the confrontation between Bowd and Dickie. The line about needing a whistle in the bathroom was priceless. Indeed, the actor playing Dickie has been great all season. There is a small article in TV GUIDE about him.

#615 ·
TV Notes
The women of 'Justified'
The male crime drama on FX gives women plenty of opportunities to play the heavy. Margo Martindale's Mags leads the sinister way.

By Lisa Rosen, Los Angeles Times - April 20th, 2011

(Photo: Michael Nagel)

This season, one of the scariest bad guys on television, is a gal.

"Justified's" Mags Bennett is a moonshine-swilling, pot-growing, Southern mama whose aw-shucks demeanor belies the menace of a rattlesnake. The mother of three sons of varying levels of ineptitude, she brings the hammer down on anyone who crosses her. Literally.

Played by the character actress Margo Martindale, Mags a role that was originally meant for a man is but one of many forceful women on the FX show. Based on stories by Elmore Leonard, "Justified" reeks of country machismo. Huffing the testosterone that wafts off U.S. Deputy Marshal Raylan Givens (Timothy Olyphant) could put every meth lab in the eastern Kentucky locale out of business. Raylan's nemesis Boyd Crowder (Walton Goggins) is similarly infused with masculine energy. And like attracts like. Now in its second season and already picked up for a third the show averages 2.6 million viewers, nearly two-thirds of whom are male.

But don't let those blazing guns fool you, the show abounds with a bevy of fully realized female characters. Raylan's ex-wife Winona (Natalie Zea) is one reason he left Kentucky in the first place, and why he couldn't help coming back. Former love interest Ava Crowder (Joelle Carter) has a shotgun and knows how to use it, having dispatched her ne'er-do-well husband in the pilot episode. Fellow marshal Rachel Brooks (Erica Tazel) has a quiet reserve that people take advantage of at their own peril.

Carter breaks down their various survival techniques: "Mags is more a strategic planner, she's always got some scheme going on. Winona has an idea of what she wants, and she's trying to get it. And Ava is just making it up as she goes along."

Adds Linda Gehringer, who plays Raylan's fiercely protective aunt/stepmother Helen, "We don't have little simpy girls on this show."

This season's addition of Mags and her family more than kin but certainly less than kind smashes that point home. When a neighbor has a run-in with Mags, he accidentally sets the marshals on her path. For his mistake, Mags feeds the poor man poisoned moonshine, then holds his hand and promises to care for his 14-year-old daughter as he chokes to death in front of her. Soon his daughter, Loretta (Kaitlyn Dever), is selling Mags' "herbal relief" to her schoolmates.

Martindale calls the role of Mags "the most satisfying thing I've ever done. It's very therapeutic." Normally recognized for such kindly roles as Camilla in Showtime's "Dexter," her meanest character previously was Hilary Swank's greedy mother in "Million Dollar Baby." Sitting in a hotel suite not far from her Manhattan home, she's at a loss to figure out how she conjured up Mags. Then she remembers that as a child, she used to pretend that she was the head of an orphanage. "I tortured children in my backyard. If they didn't mind me, I'd put them in the dog kennels," she says, laughing heartily.

That may explain her ease in abusing her "Justified" children. Mags' method of parental corporal punishment includes a ball-peen hammer, in the most horrifying limb-crushing scene since "Misery." Afterward, her damaged son hugs her, apologizing and telling her he loves her. She barely notices him. "Finding that cold, detached place, that's really been the key to this character," she says.

But she's warm with Raylan. Their enmity is matched by their cordiality with each other. Martindale credits Olyphant with introducing that friendliness, but he notes that it's a common element of Leonard's work. "Plus you just show up, and what's not to like about Margo Martindale? She's just so fun and charming," Olyphant declares.

Graham Yost, the show's creator, points out that Leonard initially wrote Mags as a man. Yost and his writers changed the criminal patriarch to a matriarch, he says, because "that idea of the mother hen who is also utterly ruthless was very intriguing." Likewise, Rachel had been an unnamed marshal in an earlier Leonard story, but Yost specifically wanted an African American woman in the position.

Says Yost, "Elmore Leonard didn't create Rachel, but he got such a kick out of her in the show that he wanted to write scenes with her" in an upcoming book of stories. "That was a real good vote of confidence in what we're doing."

Though all the characters revolve around Raylan, they also delight in performing with one another. Early in the season, Aunt Helen warned Raylan to stay away from Mags; at the same time the actress was hoping for a juicy scene with Martindale. She got her wish. Once the women met, "We were both going on and on about how fabulous it is to play these characters," Gehringer recalls. "You want to go in the writers room and just kiss every one of them."

Zea was equally excited to get a scene with Carter last season. She's having "the time of my life" working with the show's men, she says, "but you cannot deny that the energy is different when you're working with a woman. I've got such a clear goal: more ladies, more ladies. I think the balance is important."

Olyphant, who's also a producer, agrees. "I'm always willing to prove the theory that if we all do our jobs right, people will wish the whole show were about whoever's on the screen. That's what we have with all these women."

More kickers are coming, with women doing much of the kicking. "I have goose bumps, because Mags gets pretty gully," says Tazel, who then translates the rural term. "It's a little gangsta what she does."

JUSTIFIED

Wednesdays at 10PM ET/PT on FX

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...51,print.story

#616 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo /forum/post/20319778

Just watched last week's episode. I am still laughing over the confrontation between Bowd and Dickie. The line about needing a whistle in the bathroom was priceless. Indeed, the actor playing Dickie has been great all season. There is a small article in TV GUIDE about him.

You're not familiar with Jeremy Davies terrific turn as brain-addled, doomed physicist Daniel Faraday in LOST? This role couldn't be more different, but he's hitting it out of the park as well.

#617 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy /forum/post/20330433

You're not familiar with Jeremy Davies terrific turn as brain-addled, doomed physicist Daniel Faraday in LOST? This role couldn't be more different, but he's hitting it out of the park as well.

Davies has a lot of range. He played a smart but naive journalist young corporal in Saving Private Ryan.

#619 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb /forum/post/20331800

And he was also very kooky/quirky/brain addled in "Rescue Dawn" as a downed pilot.

My favorite role from him was the Solarian doppelganger Snow in "Solaris". Oh, and I thought last nights episode was the best of the series so far. The amount of content they pack into an hour is amazing.

FSH

#621 ·
I really liked this week's Justified, too. Some posters speculated after last week's show that the hit men who attacked Raylan's car weren't really after Raylan but were trying to kill Winona, instead. How right they were! I am really looking forward to seeing where the thread involving Dickie and Raylan's father and stepmother goes. I continue to believe that Dickie is dumber than a rock but had heretofore underestimated his lethality.

#623 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish /forum/post/20335486

My favorite role from him was the Solarian doppelganger Snow in "Solaris". Oh, and I thought last nights episode was the best of the series so far. The amount of content they pack into an hour is amazing.

FSH

+1 on both counts. Solaris: One of the few films I've seen that I liked but can't explain why...

#624 ·
The presumed loss of Ryland's stepmom is a bit sad as I really enjoyed her character but having said this, I give a thumbs up to Justified's writers for having the guts to kill off such a likable character. How many dramas have we seen that refuse to kill off mainstream characters despite the story practically demanding it? Come to think of though, the word presumed is important. Though next week's trailer did show someone being carted off in a bag we don't definitively know who that is...

#626 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/20336576

Lets not forget that we have already seen 2 recurring characters survive gunshot wounds to the chest at point blank range. Never underestimate the healing power of TV wounds.

Hope so ....