post #61 of 3281 Old 03-22-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

The pilot was shot in Pittsburgh and suburban Kittaning, Pennsylvania and Washington, Pennsylvania while the subsequent 12 episodes were shot in California.

And for the record. While the rural scenes were very consistent with what one might see in parts of KY (although not necessarily the "Harlan" area,) the stuff that was supposed to be "Lexington" was nowhere close to accurate. Oh, and it's probably at least a 2hr drive from Lexington to "Harlan" so the traveling back and forth several times in one day was a bit un-credible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3281 Old 03-22-2010, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syzygy View Post

(One jarring note in the script: The rarely-heard term "gun thug" seemed to to be on the tip of each actor's tongue, in separate scenes, even though news reports — the only possible means for Goggins' character to hear it — are unlikely to use it.)

I thought the "gun thug" thing was a drinking game. If you did take a shot every time you heard "gun thug", you probably needed medical attention.

It's early in the year, but the "gun thug" Olympiad might just be the winner for this year's most beat to death local color phrase that no one, anywhere in this country, uses.

Worst term I've heard on TV since "krunk". Very tinny.

I have to be honest. I wanted very hard to like this show. I was hoping it would take a page from the Breaking Bad playbook and try to explore some modern phenomena.

Instead it just sort of diverged through gaggerific attempts at local color that eventually turned into outright stereotyping.

In total, an unwatchably stupid show that does nothing positive for TV. I'll check back in a few weeks and see if the writing has improved. For now, not anywhere near my list of shows to watch each week.
post #63 of 3281 Old 03-22-2010, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Saw the repeat in its entirety, loved it. They sure do say "****" a lot on FX.
post #64 of 3281 Old 03-22-2010, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Since when is AVS filtering the "S" word? weird....
post #65 of 3281 Old 03-23-2010, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

The pilot was shot in Pittsburgh and suburban Kittaning, Pennsylvania and Washington, Pennsylvania while the subsequent 12 episodes were shot in California.

My wife is from Kittanning...still odd to see things being shot in that small town.

We only recognized a handful of locations (including downtown and where the shootout with the red pickup occurred).

I assume any subsequent shots of the area/town will be greenscreened since only the pilot was shot there, unless they just ignore it all together now.
post #66 of 3281 Old 03-23-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I don't normally watch FX original shows, but do they typically allow that much use of "colorful" language such as the S word. I don't have a problem with the language, it just threw me for a loop when I first heard it.
post #67 of 3281 Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

I don't normally watch FX original shows, but do they typically allow that much use of "colorful" language such as the S word. I don't have a problem with the language, it just threw me for a loop when I first heard it.

They've used heavy profanity, and some nudity, since the Shield premiered 8 years ago. You've obviously never seen that show, Sons of Anarchy, or Nip/Tuck then, eh?

Art
post #68 of 3281 Old 03-23-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Nope. Justified is the first FX original i have watched
post #69 of 3281 Old 03-23-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

They've used heavy profanity, and some nudity, since the Shield premiered 8 years ago. You've obviously never seen that show, Sons of Anarchy, or Nip/Tuck then, eh?

Art

Rescue Me has a lot too.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #70 of 3281 Old 03-24-2010, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Enjoyed the second episode.

It appears to be drifting towards a more traditional police procedural, which doesn't necessarily bother me but I'd prefer if each episode worked off of the previous.

Great characters and writing Best line last night was when the Chief said to him, regarding his proclivity to shooting people If you were in the first grade and you bit someone, each week, they'd consider you a biter...

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #71 of 3281 Old 03-24-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Makes me miss "Deadwood." Anyone else?

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #72 of 3281 Old 03-24-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You can really tell the second episode was shot in California and it was some time removed from the pilot. They really tried hard to hide it but, but the "look" wasn't the same as the pilot. Olyphant looked different in the face too than the pilot. Glad to see that Givens wasn't set up to "shot" someone, but I suspect, someone WILL get shot every episode, just not always Givens pulling the trigger!

Interesting how Boyd Crowder "got religion" after being shot. I know things like that happen every now and again, but in Crowder's case, I am not so sure.

Still interesting and still interested.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #73 of 3281 Old 03-24-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

Interesting how Boyd Crowder "got religion" after being shot. I know things like that happen every now and again, but in Crowder's case, I am not so sure.

LOL ... well remember there's religion and then there's religion. Whenever somebody starts thinking "God has a plan, for me" ... look out.
post #74 of 3281 Old 03-24-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 167
If the second episode is any example these are pretty much going to be standalone ones. But given that it is Elmore Leonard inspired that will be okay. Last night's story really had the Leonard touch.
post #75 of 3281 Old 03-24-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The pilot was a lot stronger than last night's episode, but I still enjoyed it very much.

But man, they are pulling out ALL the stereotypes of rural southerners. Everyone is an alcoholic, everyone has guns, and they threw in some cousin love to top it off. Wow.
post #76 of 3281 Old 03-24-2010, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn View Post

But man, they are pulling out ALL the stereotypes of rural southerners. Everyone is an alcoholic, everyone has guns, and they threw in some cousin love to top it off. Wow.

DAMN RIGHT! (BLEEEEECH) Hey, honey cuz! How 'bout bring me my scatter gun!

That is how it is in them thar hills.

post #77 of 3281 Old 03-24-2010, 02:07 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Hey they weren't first cousins! Making fun of 'world's dumbest criminals' isn't really making fun of stereotypical southerners.

No matter where you live there's always somebody who lives further out in the sticks...even if that's just on the other side of town. North, south, east, or west - knuckleheads are universal.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #78 of 3281 Old 03-24-2010, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I like this past episode as well. I thought that the pilot was better overall but this one offered alot better pacing than the pilot which needed to be 15 minutes shorter.

My DVD Collection
GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #79 of 3281 Old 03-24-2010, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 551
I am really enjoying Justified so far. Much of the dialog is directly taken from Elmore Leonard's novels and short stories and it shows. Nobody has ever done a better job than Leonard of creating garrulous, funny, semi-competent sociopaths. Thus, it came as no surprise to me that the Cooper character, his ditzy ex-wife, and her brutal "cousin," in this week's show were loads of fun. Who was the older actor who played Cooper? He did a great job and proved that he can sing, to boot.

I have liked Timothy Olyphant since his Deadwood says and he has been terrific as Marshall Raylan Givens. Olyphant is nearly perfect as Givens, a guy who is laid back on the surface but seething just beneath it. I loved the scene in the motel room when he escaped from the girl who was putting a move on him by quietly retiring to the bathroom with a bottle of booze and a newspaper. That was right out of the Elmore Leonard playbook. If Justified can come anywhere close to maintaining the quality it has demonstrated in its first two episodes, we should be in for a lot of fun.
post #80 of 3281 Old 03-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
'Justified' dropped 15% in ratings from it's premiere, but held it's own in the demo, so is looking pretty good.
post #81 of 3281 Old 03-25-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
I enjoy Olyphant. He's got that John Wayne hitch in his walk. Don't know if it's intentional...maybe he's got back problems, but he keeps his upper body and arms still and slightly twisted as he moseys on. This is a role he can do alot with, same archetype as Seth Bullock, but with more subtle shadings. I'll stay tuned.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #82 of 3281 Old 03-25-2010, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I enjoy Olyphant. He's got that John Wayne hitch in his walk. Don't know if it's intentional...maybe he's got back problems, but he keeps his upper body and arms still and slightly twisted as he moseys on. This is a role he can do alot with, same archetype as Seth Bullock, but with more subtle shadings. I'll stay tuned.

I think he does it on purpose, kind of like how Billy Zane does it from time to time (whom Olyphant reminds me of). Olyphant had a much relaxed posture in "A Perfect Getaway", and as a side note, he stole every scene he was in in that film.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #83 of 3281 Old 03-25-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

I think he does it on purpose, kind of like how Billy Zane does it from time to time (whom Olyphant reminds me of). Olyphant had a much relaxed posture in "A Perfect Getaway", and as a side note, he stole every scene he was in in that film.

Olyphant was, indeed, a delight in A Perfect Getaway. He has a talent for subtle comedy. I also enjoyed little, tiny, Kiele Sanchez as the Olyphant Caracter's not-wife. It was a fun film and after a WTF start, turned into a terrific little movie.
post #84 of 3281 Old 03-25-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Olyphant was, indeed, a delight in A Perfect Getaway. He has a talent for subtle comedy. I also enjoyed little, tiny, Kiele Sanchez as the Olyphant Caracter's not-wife. It was a fun film and after a WTF start, turned into a terrific little movie.

Yeah, she was a delight wasn't she? A much better film than I thought it was going to be. It was just as good, if not better, watching it a second time.

post #85 of 3281 Old 03-25-2010, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

interesting..he was walking the same way in The Crazies. Of course, the role was kind of similar (sheriff of a small town).
post #86 of 3281 Old 03-26-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
I wouldn't be surprised that he's just put on "the walk" for these type of roles. I listened to his commentaries with Ian McShane on one of the Deadwood disks. Pretty funny guy and very sharp...hey...if JW can make a career out of it...

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #87 of 3281 Old 03-26-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I wouldn't be surprised that he's just put on "the walk" for these type of roles. I listened to his commentaries with Ian McShane on one of the Deadwood disks. Pretty funny guy and very sharp...hey...if JW can make a career out of it...

There's actually a discussion of his walk going on at his IMDB page, so obviously, a lot of people notice it. And some are agreeing with you, he does it on purpose for those particular roles.

post #88 of 3281 Old 03-26-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

John Wayne walked the way he did for effect, not because he had any physical impediment. It isn't unheard of.

post #89 of 3281 Old 03-26-2010, 02:32 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

If you're going to copy a walk, or an attitude, the Duke isn't a bad one to start with.

Iconic.

The thing is he makes it work.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #90 of 3281 Old 03-31-2010, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am surprised to be the first to comment on this week's episode. It was based on an Elmore Leonard short story and was a lot of fun. I thought that David Eigenberg, as Raylan's confidential (more or less) informant was terrific, as was Greg Cormer as Travis Travers, another of Leonard's memorable sociopaths. The quality of the show has been outstanding so far but I fear that not many people are watching.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page