post #1081 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

Winona had split before recently over Raylan's risky lifestyle but when Raylan was shot Art reached out and BOLOed her back, so why is it a stretch and not make sense for her to have 2nd thoughts about Raylan's new peaceful approach to life given the expressed dialog where she cited his recent gunfights? The writers did everything but paint a big neon sign roadmap here. Guess it still wasn't enough.

BECAUSE she is now PREGNANT....with Raylan's child.

She knew what she was getting into going back to Raylan....she is no rookie in that regard.
You don't go back to an ex on a whim.
And that IS something I know a little about.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 151
The key line (which my wife pointed to and I agree with) was when Winona told Raylan that, if he was going to change, he would have done it already. Even Raylan had to admit (although silently) that that was true. When Winona told Raylan that she accepted that he was not going to change, Raylan (and I) took it as a good sign meaning that she had changed her expectations but it was exactly the opposite, meaning that she knew it would never work.

As to the bad guys, I thought it was made clear that the guy from the Holler gave some of Quarles' boys the idea to hit Boyd's clinic in order to stir up a war. Even Quarles could appreciate that. I liked that Quarles jumped to the conclusion that Raylan was dirty even despite Win's protests. Director had a little fun in the scene where Quarles sends Win on a task and Win hesitates in the background just out of focus. I can appreciate a little artful directing during a tv show. Loved the scene where the pimp (forgot his name) and Raylan square off in the trailer and then outside. "I forgot to bring my knife" (flashing badge and gun).

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #1083 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

Thoughts...

6. I'm confused about the specific role and actions the Holler guy took to precipitate the oxy massacre. Where this leads is so open. Another reason to enjoy the writing.

The guy that works for Limehouse? Me too, the comment that he sparked the "war" threw me as I don't remember anything like that. What did he do to start that battle?
post #1084 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

The guy that works for Limehouse? Me too, the comment that he sparked the "war" threw me as I don't remember anything like that. What did he do to start that battle?

That's the point. People keep responding that he did as we were shown which begs the question how did this insular Limehouse Holler guy get it done?
post #1085 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 33
He tipped off the other Oxy dealers about Boyd's setup with the doctor at Raylan's family's place.

Big Dumb Mammal
post #1086 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As daryl explained above, I believe the writers are being very open ended about how the war got started, as his cronie's actions happened off screen and Limehouse's exposition was the audiences only exposure to what, in fact, transpired...and we can only make guesses. Long and short, there's a 3 sided struggle happening with Limehouse's Holler as the wild card (at this point) and Raylan placed in the middle and in the dark. It will be fun to see this play out.

Regarding Winona, the character as written, has always shown indications of instability, justified (see, a pun) or not. I've never expected her to stick. She's a cross that Raylan has to bear for being Raylan. Raylan, to have a stable relationship (not likely), needs someone who's a maverick (like Ava) or someone who relates to his job (perhaps like Supvr. Karen). If they bring back Carla then I can see something casual, but hot developing (I'm hoping).

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #1087 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog35 View Post

He tipped off the other Oxy dealers about Boyd's setup with the doctor at Raylan's family's place.

Yep, and Quarles set it up. He wants a war, and figures he can easily take care of Boyd's little crew by importing all the muscle he needs. He'll win a war of attrition.

And apparently one of his employer's guys is coming down from Detroit to check out how things are going. Everybody has a boss.
post #1088 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 442
That's what I figured happened, it was exposition of an off-screen action, just wanted to be sure I hadn't forgot something that was actually shown.
post #1089 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

If they bring back Carla then I can see something casual, but hot developing (I'm hoping).

I dunno....the actress playing Winona is about as hawt as I could ever hope for....my oh my.

post #1090 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Yep, and Quarles set it up. He wants a war, and figures he can easily take care of Boyd's little crew by importing all the muscle he needs. He'll win a war of attrition.

And apparently one of his employer's guys is coming down from Detroit to check out how things are going. Everybody has a boss.

I don't think Quarles set this up but he isn't unhappy about it. When Quarles met Boyd, there was some mutual respect. I think Quarles wants Boyd to work for him. If he has to strongarm that result, no problemo.

post #1091 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

The key line (which my wife pointed to and I agree with) was when Winona told Raylan that, if he was going to change, he would have done it already. Even Raylan had to admit (although silently) that that was true. When Winona told Raylan that she accepted that he was not going to change, Raylan (and I) took it as a good sign meaning that she had changed her expectations but it was exactly the opposite, meaning that she knew it would never work.

This.

Many women go into a relationship with designs on changing her man and molding him into what she sees fit. Took Winona a loooong time to figure out she can't.
post #1092 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

This.

Many women go into a relationship with designs on changing her man and molding him into what she sees fit. Took Winona a loooong time to figure out she can't.

Every argument with my wife brings up the "You'll never change" language...my first wife too . She pulled a Winona. Hopefully, I'm now too old for my current wife to have any expectations .

oink...have you checked out the 4 eps in S1 of Hung yet. Natalie is exposed .

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #1093 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't think Quarles set this up but he isn't unhappy about it. When Quarles met Boyd, there was some mutual respect. I think Quarles wants Boyd to work for him. If he has to strongarm that result, no problemo.

Hard to believe Quarles man would do something so radical behind his back. That's a boss you don't want to get on the wrong side of - no way, no how. What I don't quite get is how Quarles found out that his doctor had been co-opted by Boyd, and so quickly? I don't think they spelled that out.

But it's certainly possible that Quarles may think he may eventually convince Boyd to work for him if he kills off the rest of Boyd's crew. (Arlo better keep his head down.) Failing that, Quarles figures he'll just kill him. He don't know Boyd like Limehouse & his boys know Boyd.
post #1094 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Hard to believe Quarles man would do something so radical behind his back. That's a boss you don't want to get on the wrong side of - no way, no how. What I don't quite get is how Quarles found out that his doctor had been co-opted by Boyd, and so quickly? I don't think they spelled that out.

But it's certainly possible that Quarles may think he may eventually convince Boyd to work for him if he kills off the rest of Boyd's crew. (Arlo better keep his head down.) Failing that, Quarles figures he'll just kill him. He don't know Boyd like Limehouse & his boys know Boyd.

Quarles specifically told Win that he didn't order this. Quarles also said that he was okay with trading one clinic for the other. Probably this war of attrition. As to the henchmen doing their own thing, that seems to be a reoccurring theme of stupidity. Quarles seems to have his own self-control problems (witness the guy tied up in the house).

post #1095 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

oink...have you checked out the 4 eps in S1 of Hung yet. Natalie is exposed .

Thank you, kind sir....where do I send the check?

post #1096 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quarles specifically told Win that he didn't order this.

Yeah, I heard him say that, I just don't believe him. He's too much of a control freak to allow one of his henchmen to go off the reservation so dramatically and potentially attract unwanted attention to him. He's already worried about Raylan.
post #1097 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 126
newbie Q:

I didn't start watching Justified when it began because I just don't care for Timothy Olyphant. He always seems to be either the smarmy jerk or the self-righteous stick-in-the-mud (or both at the same time). I loved Deadwood despite of Oliphant (Milch and McShane were the real stars for me, anyway).

The other reason was I got the impression from early reviews that the show was about a sheriff-type who took the laws into his own hand and doled out justice himself, and the show was going to be just a lot of bad guys doing bad things to make his vigilantism looks "justified". It just sounded like Seth Bullock minus the moral nuance, or Dirty Harry with styling. I take it that's not a fair assessment?

Anyway, I've been hearing lots of good things about Justified so I want to give it a shot. Should I start from season 1 episode 1? When does the show start to really gel, and will I miss out a lot if I jump into, say, season 2.
post #1098 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

newbie Q:

I didn't start watching Justified when it began because I just don't care for Timothy Olyphant. He always seems to be either the smarmy jerk or the self-righteous stick-in-the-mud (or both at the same time). I loved Deadwood despite of Oliphant (Milch and McShane were the real stars for me, anyway).

But I've been hearing lots of good things about Justified so I want to give it a shot. Should I start from season 1 episode 1? When does the show start to really gel, and will I miss out a lot if I jump into, say, season 2.

Well - if you don't like Timothy Olyphant - you may have a difficult time with "Justified" However i recommend starting from the beginning - Season 1, Episode 1 - many characters develop relationships that carry over from episode to episode, and you'll miss a lot of plot references, character development and just plain old well written material if you jump in mid stream.

post #1099 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

well - if you don't like timothy olyphant - you may have a difficult time with "justified" however i recommend starting from the beginning - season 1, episode 1 - many characters develop relationships that carry over from episode to episode, and you'll miss a lot of plot references, character development and just plain old well written material if you jump in mid stream.

+1

post #1100 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Unless the writers are doing the Dexter thing and insulting their audience at every opportunity, there's no way Quarles setup the oxy shack hit. The real tell for this was his obvious surprise when told that it was Boyd's guys at the shack. Nice bit of acting there by McDonough - several thoughts conveyed with no words in just a few seconds.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #1101 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

This will answer some questions...from Graham Yost...slightly spoilerish as to future eps.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/02/22/ju...guns-come-out/

post #1102 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 04:45 PM

Liked: 10
That's "Marshal (or Marshall) Raylan Givens" BTW.

Well, Here's my Sig!!!
post #1103 of 3280 Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober22 View Post

That's "Marshal (or Marshall) Raylan Givens" BTW.

By the way - I didn't see a hat on Raylan during the entire episode!

post #1104 of 3280 Old 02-23-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Show bounced back with a great ep this week, much better than last. We love the conversations between him and Art and him and Winona. One thing I don't get though - Raylan was clearly struggling with being a marshal after almost getting killed last week, then this week he gets in a big fight which could've easily gotten him killed again, but he didn't even mention or appear to have been fazed by this when he spoke to Winona.

All he can seem to understand is that he's a cat with nine lives, and they're not all used up yet. It kind of boggles me that a kid wouldn't change all that, I know it made a huge difference in my life. But it is just a show, and it don't work without Raylan.
post #1105 of 3280 Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Just curious if anyone else noticed that Arlo was having a conversation with...himself..when Raylan walked in? He seemed disoriented. Jus wonder if they are setting the seeds for Arlo to start going a little alzheimer/dementia-ish....?

And I guess they put to rest who took the counterfeit bills eh?

I love seeing Art toy with Raylan...kind of like a cat with a mouse it's holding by the tail...
post #1106 of 3280 Old 02-23-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb View Post

Just curious if anyone else noticed that Arlo was having a conversation with...himself..when Raylan walked in? He seemed disoriented. Jus wonder if they are setting the seeds for Arlo to start going a little alzheimer/dementia-ish....?

Arlo's just missing the hell out of his wife. His way of getting through the day.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #1107 of 3280 Old 02-23-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post

Arlo's just missing the hell out of his wife. His way of getting through the day.

I think it's more to it than that , he seems to be a little more "off" each week , Arlo seemed to me not able to look to the future & was only interested in the now .He kept asking Boyd about getting cash now , not wanting to wait ,not understanding that waiting would payoff better .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #1108 of 3280 Old 02-23-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Maybe he does have some other "condition" going on but I doubt that it's "alzheimer/dementia-ish" otherwise he would have pulled out another chair and introduced Raylan

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #1109 of 3280 Old 02-23-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb View Post

And I guess they put to rest who took the counterfeit bills eh?

They were not counterfeit notes But notes that could be counterfeited easily by bleaching & reprinting them into 100's .
they were stolen bank robbery notes that were lost in transit & sitting in the Courthouse locker . When the Guard figured out that Raylan now knew they gone agin, the guard had to flee to Mexico as he knew he'd be questioned about them .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #1110 of 3280 Old 02-23-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

They were not counterfeit notes But notes that could be counterfeited easily by bleaching & reprinting them into 100's .
they were stolen bank robbery notes that were lost in transit & sitting in the Courthouse locker . When the Guard figured out that Raylan now knew they gone agin, the guard had to flee to Mexico as he knew he'd be questioned about them .

They were marked bills by the US Treasury.

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page