"Justified" on FX HD - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3246 Old 03-31-2010, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm with you gwsat. The first couple of episodes have been fun to watch. It will be interesting how the show changes with the last scene of yesterday's episode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3246 Old 03-31-2010, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, gwsat, I watched it. Too bad I haven't read Elmore Leonard. But I thought David Eigenberg was given too much screen time (he's a little irritating in all of his roles) and Greg Cormer as Travis Travers was given too little — or at least the character wasn't fleshed out enough. It was a complete surprise, and seemed way out of character, when TT turned homicidal.

Don't get me wrong; I did like the episode, and I'm still hooked. Because of Olyphant.

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package
Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
post #93 of 3246 Old 04-01-2010, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

I dig it. Good stuff so far. At the end of this episoder were you refering to the "hook up" or was there something else? They panned to the bushes but couldn't see if there was something to it or not.

Overall, good acting, stories, characters, quirkiness, etc. Love it.
post #94 of 3246 Old 04-01-2010, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Episode Total(Millions) HH A18-49
1-01 4.151 2.6/5 1.5/5
1-02 3.536 2.2/4 1.4/4
1-03 2.308 1.4/2 0.9/3
post #95 of 3246 Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 AM

The ratings did drop again for the 3rd EP.

"The third episode of "Justified" fell yet again -- down 34% from last week. That's an even bigger than the drop from its debut to its second episode. "Justified" drew 2.3 million viewers and a 0.9 rating. FX points out that the decline from the premiere to Ep. 2 was only 9% once you factored at all the repeats, so maybe by next week this gap will be smaller too."

Well, Here's my Sig!!!
post #96 of 3246 Old 04-01-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syzygy View Post

Well, gwsat, I watched it. Too bad I haven't read Elmore Leonard. But I thought David Eigenberg was given too much screen time (he's a little irritating in all of his roles) and Greg Cormer as Travis Travers was given too little or at least the character wasn't fleshed out enough. It was a complete surprise, and seemed way out of character, when TT turned homicidal.

Don't get me wrong; I did like the episode, and I'm still hooked. Because of Olyphant.

Elmore Leonard often does the sort of thing we saw with the Travis Travers character. Just when you think you know what is coming, Leonard turns the tables on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober22 View Post

The ratings did drop again for the 3rd EP.

"The third episode of "Justified" fell yet again -- down 34% from last week. That's an even bigger than the drop from its debut to its second episode. "Justified" drew 2.3 million viewers and a 0.9 rating. FX points out that the decline from the premiere to Ep. 2 was only 9% once you factored at all the repeats, so maybe by next week this gap will be smaller too."

That's really too bad. Olyphant is just about perfect as Raylan Givens and the strong Elmore Leonard influence on the stories has been a joy, for me at least. Oh well, it seems as if a lot of series I love get cancelled after one season -- think Joss Whedon's Firefly, which was cancelled after only 14 episodes.
post #97 of 3246 Old 04-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Remember, though, this is FX--they don't yank shows off the air, they allow them to settle in. I think it's going to finish it's run, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it come back next season.
post #98 of 3246 Old 04-01-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandron View Post

Remember, though, this is FX--they don't yank shows off the air, they allow them to settle in. I think it's going to finish it's run, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it come back next season.

FX typically lets shows go 2 seasons before giving them the axe. The Riches, Dirt, 30 Days, to name a few.
post #99 of 3246 Old 04-01-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Agree Look at the ratings for Damages on FX, they make Justified's ratings look like American Idol's.

The show is continuing to entertain with it's unique characters and refreshing dialog, As I said from the beginning, it helps if you're already familiar with the EL genre, but it doesn't really matter. I'm sure if more folks gave the show a chance they'd enjoy it. I am disappointed that there isn't a stronger story thread. The father thing isn't cutting it. Maybe if or after they introduce his character there will be more flavors added to the mix.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #100 of 3246 Old 04-01-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... I think it's going to finish it's run, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it come back next season.

I certainly hope so. I think it's better than anything else on FX. (And I do like Damages and Rescue Me.)

As for that 34% falloff in first-showing viewers from last week, I'd like to blame David Eigenberg's smug performance, and the fear that he'll be back next week. (IMDb says he's in one episode only. Thank God.) Ooops, I just realized that Eigenberg was in episode 3, not 2... so viewers would have had to anticipate his performance i order to want to avoid it. Sorry about that.

But the more likely reason is that more people have figured out that they can see Justified at other times that don't conflict with their favorite shows.

Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
post #101 of 3246 Old 04-01-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I'm not real familiar with FX originals, but Damages only had 600,000 last week, so over 2 million would seem a good number for a cable outlet. The biggest thing is for it to level off, because there has been considerable decline week to week, not just week 1 to week 2. They need to bottom out at some point soom and maintain from there to keep going.
post #102 of 3246 Old 04-01-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I like the show, but it does have exhibit pacing problems. The scenes with Raylen and his gf seem bolted on. The EL quirkiness is a nice change of pace, but perhaps not for a mainstream audience. Cop shows are littered with smart criminals and serial killers. The bad guys in Justified can't qualify for that union. They are interesting to me and you guys, I guess, but will America embrace them? IDK...hope so.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #103 of 3246 Old 04-01-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Cop shows are littered with smart criminals and serial killers. The bad guys in Justified can't qualify for that union...

I for one am sick and tired of the Hollywood-style villain who can get past locked doors, discover all the victim's secrets, be everywhere the target is before s/he gets there, hack secure websites, and rise from the dead.

Long live the stupid criminal!

post #104 of 3246 Old 04-01-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I for one am sick and tired of the Hollywood-style villain who can get past locked doors, discover all the victim's secrets, be everywhere the target is before s/he gets there, hack secure websites, and rise from the dead.

Long live the stupid criminal!

This is exactly why I like Elmore Leonard's bad guys. They are almost always articulate and charming but are ultimately dumber than bags of rocks. Even Leonard's characters who are ostensibly good guys are all a little twisted. What's not to love.
post #105 of 3246 Old 04-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
This show is just a Southern Cop Serial show.

First episode was OK, but people are not catching on to it.
post #106 of 3246 Old 04-01-2010, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

This show is just a Southern Cop Serial show.

First episode was OK, but people are not catching on to it.

A lot of people never catch on to Elmore Leonard. Justified may have its weaknesses but being "just a Southern Cop Serial show" is not one of them, it seems to me.
post #107 of 3246 Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

To me it's like a southern version of the Rockford Files. I like it a lot and plan to watch it as long as it's on.
post #108 of 3246 Old 04-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

I think this show is average at best. I really wanted to like it but find the pacing and plots poorly done. I was really hoping for more Walton Goggins. It's clear he stole the scenes from Olyphant. I'll continue to watch but without any sort of anticipation.
post #109 of 3246 Old 04-02-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post

To me it's like a southern version of the Rockford Files...

I really loved James Garner's performances in The Rockford Files, but had to stop watching because of the constant reappearances of Stuart Margolin as the completely self-centered and obnoxiously whiny Angel Martin.

Also, I think Olyphant is a better actor than Garner was. So for me Justified is a lot better.

post #110 of 3246 Old 04-02-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I really loved James Garner's performances in The Rockford Files, but had to stop watching because of the constant reappearances of Stuart Margolin as the completely self-centered and obnoxiously whiny Angel Martin.

Also, I think Olyphant is a better actor than Garner was. So for me Justified is a lot better.

James Garner was a much more charismatic star than Olyphant is. The old Maverick series made Garner a star and The Rockford Files made him a bigger star. He did well in movies, too, even being nominated for an Oscar.

I have a hard time comparing the acting ability of an actor like Garner who always played a version of his own laid back Norman, Oklahoma persona and an actor like Olyphant, who easily goes back and forth between playing good guys and bad guys. Anyway, I like Olyphant and think he has a bright future but Garner proved his talent over the course of a career lasting more than 50 years. Very few actors, indeed, have done as well for so long.
post #111 of 3246 Old 04-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

James Garner was a much more charismatic star than Olyphant is. The old Maverick series made Garner a star and The Rockford Files made him a bigger star. He did well in movies, too, even being nominated for an Oscar.

I have a hard time comparing the acting ability of an actor like Garner who always played a version of his own laid back Norman, Oklahoma persona and an actor like Olyphant, who easily goes back and forth between playing good guys and bad guys. Anyway, I like Olyphant and think he has a bright future but Garner proved his talent over the course of a career lasting more than 50 years. Very few actors, indeed, have done as well for so long.

Yeah, they really are different actors for different times. Garner, as you said, always played himself, in the best John Wayne tradition. Nowadays, it seems actors 'inhabit' their roles more, and are maybe more versatile.
post #112 of 3246 Old 04-03-2010, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, they really are different actors for different times. Garner, as you said, always played himself, in the best John Wayne tradition. Nowadays, it seems actors 'inhabit' their roles more, and are maybe more versatile.

Charismatic actors, who more less played themselves in every role and were wildly successful over the years, did seem to be more common in years gone by than is currently the case. James Stewart, Clark Gable, Cary Grant, and Gary Cooper, are just a few who come to mind.
post #113 of 3246 Old 04-03-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Nice to see U-Turn from Weeds in this week's episode.
post #114 of 3246 Old 04-04-2010, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Makes me miss "Deadwood." Anyone else?

I've missed it since day one. My favorite TV show.

ISF calibrated by Eliab - and lovin' it!

My DVD Profiler
post #115 of 3246 Old 04-04-2010, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Makes me miss "Deadwood." Anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxman View Post

I've missed it since day one. My favorite TV show.

Me three. I don't have to see members of the David Milch Stock Company in action elsewhere to miss Deadwood. I miss it even without being reminded that it's gone. I have the whole series on DVD, though, and periodically help myself to a Deadwood fix. I also once had scripts of every episode saved to my hard drive. Alas, they seem to have disappeared.

Despite being profane, the language used was often lyrically beautiful. For example, shortly after Alma Garrett's torrid affair with Seth Bullock ended because Bullock's wife and his stepson were coming to town, an anguished Alma tries to explain to Miss Isringhausen the difficulty with continuing her relationship with Bullock. Alma is trying to decide whether to ask Sheriff Bullock to leave his wife and stepson and go away with her. She knows that the consequences of such a course would be, as Miss Isringhausen put it, volcanic but is tempted, nonetheless. Then Alma says to Miss I., We do love each other. Our being together ought not to seem so outlandish a proposition except for every other single thing. Even now, more than five years later, I have still not forgotten that ineffably sad and poignant line. Holy smoke, what a great series Deadwood was!
post #116 of 3246 Old 04-05-2010, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else think they are showing Hitman a lot the last week or so to promote the show? I have been channel flipping and seen it on FX 3 times this week.
post #117 of 3246 Old 04-06-2010, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 332
After playing catchup I'm finally up to speed and I'm totally on board.

So far the writers have done an excellent job of capturing some of the Elmore Leonard style in building up interesting, quirky characters with only a few lines of dialog.

And then killing them.

I loved dropping into the mob guys in the car in the middle of their Pulp Fiction discussion.

And then killing them in standoff.

The fact the show has no hesitation in killing anyone, quickly and without fanfare gives the show a bit of an unpredictable edge.

CA location really sucks though. At episode three I thought they were in Miami or some place near the beach (like every other show) and completely forgot it was supposed to be Kentucky. Even the architecture feels wrong in a lot of scenes.

And I thought Raylan's rule was that if he pulls his gun he uses it because that's what a gun is for? Twice now he's pulled without firing.

post #118 of 3246 Old 04-07-2010, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

This was the best episode.

Agree with VisionOn on all points except, I didn't mind the CA location, since it was where they were supposed to be, and the whole romantic fleeing to the Mexico border thing worksespecially in westerns.

Everything was firing on all cylindersgreat writing, dialog, further character developments. I loved the whole hat thing with his partner and the shtick with the old war Vet he swapped cars withgreat scene.

Larry

post #119 of 3246 Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

... just to add... that was the Clarence Williams III.

Larry

post #120 of 3246 Old 04-07-2010, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Episode Total(Millions) HH A18-49
1-01 4.151 2.6/5 1.5/5
1-02 3.536 2.2/4 1.4/4
1-03 2.308 1.4/2 0.9/3