post #1262 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

Just to present another perspective, my wife was dissing Ava, saying that her hair, etc. is just too perfect for her character and setting.
Disclosure: raven haired brunettes are mortal enemies of blondes.

Of course I agreed with my wife.

Despite her beauty, there has always been something earthy and working class about Ava, which really works, I think. In stark contrast, the elegant and always beautifully dressed Winona would be as convincing as a Dallas Junior Leaguer as she is as a court reporter and Raylan's ex-wife.
post #1263 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

I want to see the hidden weapon that Quarles has. I guess in the next episode.

Last stand for Mr. Detroit?

I half suspect to see him gone after the next episode. Limehouse is the big bad for this season, I'm thinking. Course I could have it backwards

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #1264 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

I half suspect to see him gone after the next episode. Limehouse is the big bad for this season, I'm thinking. Course I could have it backwards

Thought so too except just what is it that Limehouse is doing that necessitates Raylan's attention? Dr Detroit a.k.a. Bobby Quarrels is the one committing crimes that get the attention of the law. Limehouse wants to keep the Hollow's low profile. Now had he gone through with some kind of diss of Raylan's mom, then I'd say he'd have had his attention. From the last scene it looks as if Limehouse read Raylan correctly and backed off. Keep the holler safe and quiet.
post #1265 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Thought so too except just what is it the Limehouse is doing that necessitates Raylan's attention? Dr Detroit a.k.a. Bobby Quarrels is the one committing crimes that get the attention of the law. Limehouse wants to keep the Hollow's low profile. Now had he gone through with some kind of diss of Raylan's mom, then I'd say he'd have had his attention. From the last scene it looks as if Limehouse read Raylan correctly and backed off. Keep the holler safe and quiet.

I think Raylon was willing to back off if Limehouse had agreed to give up Quarrels...when he didn't Raylon seemed ready to bring them both down. Mentioning his mom didn't help Limehouse any, but the real problem for him is Raylon gave him a chance to escape and he refused it. From the way he looked Raylon isn't abouit to give him a second chance.

"There is no truth. There's just what you believe."
post #1266 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:

Thought so too except just what is it the Limehouse is doing that necessitates Raylan's attention? Dr Detroit a.k.a. Bobby Quarrels is the one committing crimes that get the attention of the law. Limehouse wants to keep the Hollow's low profile. Now had he gone through with some kind of diss of Raylan's mom, then I'd say he'd have had his attention. From the last scene it looks as if Limehouse read Raylan correctly and backed off. Keep the holler safe and quiet.

I expected Limehouse to say something nice about Raylan's mom there, that he knew his mother wasn't the same as Arlo. And he did see Arlo back to his house safely that night when he was wandering, which Raylan would appreciate on some (deep) level. Would have been the strategically smart move so as not to get Raylan too riled up. Limehouse so far has looked like a pretty good poker player, but he may have slipped up there.
post #1267 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

I want to see the hidden weapon that Quarles has. I guess in the next episode.

Last stand for Mr. Detroit?

Did you miss it when he shot the dude in a previous episode?

Quote:

Just to present another perspective, my wife was dissing Ava, saying that her hair, etc. is just too perfect for her character and setting.
Disclosure: raven haired brunettes are mortal enemies of blondes.

Of course I agreed with my wife.

And in my experience, they (raven haired brunettes) are generally better looking than blondes also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Despite her beauty, there has always been something earthy and working class about Ava, which really works, I think. In stark contrast, the elegant and always beautifully dressed Winona would be as convincing as a Dallas Junior Leaguer as she is as a court reporter and Raylan's ex-wife.

Oh you just like the way she shoots guys she doesn't like.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #1268 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
It's nice to see Ava getting some recognition, probably my favorite female character on television. I can barely generate enough interest in Winona to shrug off my disinterest. Carter's acting style with her is very not-TV to me - understated, there's always something there you can't quite reach, but want to.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #1269 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

ADDENDUM: Forgot to mention when I was writing the foregoing, Fire In the Hole, in which Raylan Givens and Boyd Crowder first appear. It is a shortstory, which can be found in an anthology of Elmore Leonard's short stories, When the Women Come Out to Dance.

The pilot for the series is called "Fire in the Hole" and the credit says, "based on the short story 'Fire in the Hole' " as all the rest of the episodes say.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #1270 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I hate the fact that Elmore Leonard set his new Raylan novel in the continuity of the TV show rather than of the previous novels and short story. A real slap in the face to his readers, IMO. Wouldn't want to confuse the poor TV viewers with a 45-year old Raylan, or his two sons with Winona, or his dead parents (both of them), or the corpse of Boyd Crowder, whose death was the entire point of the previous story in the series.

How about at least a sentence of introduction to explain what you're doing, Elmore?

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #1271 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

I can barely generate enough interest in Winona to shrug off my disinterest. Carter's acting style with her is very not-TV to me - understated, there's always something there you can't quite reach, but want to.

She became marginally more interesting to me when she stole the money, but since then she's reverted back to the same place she was in for season one. I really don't care about her relationship with Raylan because I don't see any sparks between them. She flip-flops about her feelings for him so often I would have given up on her long ago.

There has to be more than two women in Harlan County that are not hookers. How about that bartender Raylan?

post #1272 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

I hate the fact that Elmore Leonard set his new Raylan novel in the continuity of the TV show rather than of the previous novels and short story. A real slap in the face to his readers, IMO. Wouldn't want to confuse the poor TV viewers with a 45-year old Raylan, or his two sons with Winona, or his dead parents (both of them), or the corpse of Boyd Crowder, whose death was the entire point of the previous story in the series.

How about at least a sentence of introduction to explain what you're doing, Elmore?

In the pilot Boyd appears to die. The audience reaction of Boyd was such in testing they couldn't kill him off in the series. The audience demanded he live. So Boyd survived and that changed everything.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #1273 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

How about that bartender Raylan?

Isn't she in Lexington?

post #1274 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

She became marginally more interesting to me when she stole the money, but since then she's reverted back to the same place she was in for season one. I really don't care about her relationship with Raylan because I don't see any sparks between them. She flip-flops about her feelings for him so often I would have given up on her long ago.

There has to be more than two women in Harlan County that are not hookers. How about that bartender Raylan?

I have the hots for Winnina, but then I should disclose that I am a heterosexual male.
The hookers are a bad bet for Raylan because they keep gitin' their selves gut shot, 3 of 'em this season. Yup, I'd take the bartender, with Jack over ice.
post #1275 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:

I have the hots for Winnina, but then I should disclose that I am a heterosexual male.
The hookers are a bad bet for Raylan because they keep gitin' their selves gut shot, 3 of 'em this season. Yup, I'd take the bartender, with Jack over ice.

Nah, git u some Black Maple Hill, that there juice be mighty smooooth....

post #1276 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Nah, git u some Black Maple Hill, that there juice be mighty smooooth....

Gotta git me some a Limehouse's barbecue
post #1277 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

Isn't she in Lexington?

In that case, Raylan is screwed. Not literally unfortunately.

All the rest of the women in Harlan are apparently either old or hookers. Or possibly a combination of both.

post #1278 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

In the pilot Boyd appears to die. The audience reaction of Boyd was such in testing they couldn't kill him off in the series. The audience demanded he live. So Boyd survived and that changed everything.

I know and I agreed with that decision.

But there's no reason for it to have changed anything in the books.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #1279 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

He's underestimating Boyd though, I think, Plus if I were him I'd be really uneasy about how his talk with Raylon ended. If we learned anything over the course of the show it is you don't want to be in the way when Raylon and Boyd find themselves with a common purpose.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

After Raylan gives the line, "Social awkwardness is often the curse of genius", I blurted out "I love this show!" My wife, from the kitchen, just sighed and said, "I know you do, honey."

LOL.

Quote:

While Raylan is a lot of fun, it's not really in a class with Elmore Leonard's best work.

I think the problem with Raylan is it was an attempt to take a season's worth of Justified and make a near mirror image novel.
I have no idea why he thought that would be a good idea....seems almost like a money grab.

Quote:

I think Raylon was willing to back off if Limehouse had agreed to give up Quarrels...when he didn't Raylon seemed ready to bring them both down. Mentioning his mom didn't help Limehouse any, but the real problem for him is Raylon gave him a chance to escape and he refused it. From the way he looked Raylon isn't abouit to give him a second chance.

+2

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #1280 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Getting back to EL's Raylan vs TV/Raylan...I haven't read the latest book, but Justified's Raylan is 50 IQ points smarter than EL's Raylan. Not that he's stupid, but he doesn't have the snap of Tim Olyphant or Justified's writers. They've taken EL to the next level.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #1281 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

And in my experience, they (raven haired brunettes) are generally better looking than blondes also.

Blondes are Les Pauls and brunettes are Strats. Any guitar player knows what I mean.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #1282 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

Blondes are Les Pauls and brunettes are Strats. Any guitar player knows what I mean.

And redheads are hollow and semi-hollow bodied guitars?

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #1283 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Getting back to EL's Raylan vs TV/Raylan...I haven't read the latest book, but Justified's Raylan is 50 IQ points smarter than EL's Raylan. Not that he's stupid, but he doesn't have the snap of Tim Olyphant or Justified's writers. They've taken EL to the next level.

Oh, I agree -- I'm not a fan of EL's writing anyway, so having the TV character be more on the ball is a net gain across the board. Yet in S3, he seems to be regressing: more reactive, less controlled, not really thinking ahead. More like an EL character. Not that he hasn't had his Leonard moments, hanging from a rope by his ankles.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #1284 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

And redheads are hollow and semi-hollow bodied guitars?

Don't put ideas in my head!
Redheads are beyond instruments. To (mis)quote Don Henley, they are the only works of art.

post #1285 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

There has to be more than two women in Harlan County that are not hookers.

With or without teeth?
post #1286 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

With or without teeth?

If he has to pay extra for one then he should go with the other. Slim pickings in those parts, he'll need the money for alcohol.

post #1287 of 3246 Old 03-15-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:

If he has to pay extra for one then he should go with the other. Slim pickings in those parts, he'll need the money for alcohol.

Indeed, enough alcohol takes care of all those other issues.
post #1288 of 3246 Old 03-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

Well. I own a Strat with a blond (Maple) neck, so how does THAT figure?
post #1289 of 3246 Old 03-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

They may call maple blonde, but it doesn't make it so. Actually, "blonde" usually refers to a type of finish, not a fingerboard.
I actually prefer a maple fingerboard (but I play bass, what do I know!)
A wag might say you have the best of both worlds!

post #1290 of 3246 Old 03-16-2012, 07:55 PM

Liked: 30
Meanwhile, back on the show...
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page