AVS Forum banner

"Justified" on FX HD

224K views 4K replies 204 participants last post by  boootriley 
#1 ·

Quote:
JUSTIFIED is the story of Deputy U.S. Marshal RAYLAN GIVENS (Timothy Olyphant), a true-blue hero and something of a throwback, given to wearing a Stetson and cowboy boots, carrying his sidearm in a hip holster – a weapon he only draws when he has to, and when he does, he shoots to kill, because, as he sees it, that’s the purpose of a gun.

Raylan was born and reared in the hill country of eastern Kentucky. It was in Harlan where he played ball, chased girls and dug coal. And it was from Harlan, at age 19, that he ran, determined to become a U.S. Marshal. Now, years later, after shooting a gun thug in a Miami hotel and thereby incurring the wrath of his Marshals Service superiors, Raylan has been sent in punishment (and by fate?) to the one place to which he vowed he would never return – Kentucky.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/orig...outTheShow.php

I'm not sure what to make of this yet. It looks vaguely like Walker: Texas Ranger for 2010, but the idea of Olyphant playing another old West-style marshal could be good, but then again it's another crime drama with another quirky lead character ...

Starts Tues Mar 16, 10pm.

#1,202 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 /forum/post/21744344

Bummah! Guess FX like everyone else doesn't care about us geezer viewers.

As a "geezer viewer" myself, your reaction surprises me. I think Justified appeals most to fans of Elmore Leonard's books because its creator, Graham Yost was determined from the beginning that the show retain the tone of Leonard's writing. Considering that Leonard is going to be 87 this year and that his first book, The Bounty Hunter was published in 1953, it seems to me that many if not most of his fans are geezers. This certainly includes me.

#1,204 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/21744442

As a "geezer viewer" myself, your reaction surprises me. I think Justified appeals most to fans of Elmore Leonard's books because its creator, Graham Yost was determined from the beginning that the show retain the tone of Leonard's writing. Considering that Leonard is going to be 87 this year and that his first book, The Bounty Hunter was published in 1953, it seems to me that many if not most of his fans are geezers. This certainly includes me.

I was poking fun at the FX article citing all the demographics. No geezer demo!

#1,207 ·
WARNING!!

After watching the previews for next week, it is obvious to me reading the new EL book (Raylan) will spoil the rest of the season of Justified.

Therefore...guys, put the book down...NOW.

Sadly, I have read it and know exactly where it's going.

Yes, yes I am pissed about this....

The first 2/3 of the novel has been played out (for the most part) during this season so far.

Why couldn't they just wait until the season is over before releasing the novel?

BAD form, boys....BAD form...

#1,212 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 /forum/post/21744644

I was poking fun at the FX article citing all the demographics. No geezer demo!

Gotcha! I should have realized you were joking. Blame it on my youth.

#1,213 ·
Last night was the 1st I watched live...started with the BDs of the 1st 2 seasons a couple of weeks ago and just got caught up. This started as a good show that became very good in the 2nd season and is now great...

#1,215 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 /forum/post/21747820

Raylan warned Wynn that it was time to abandon ship. Bobby Q (Dr Detroit) is cracking now that his mob family has abandoned him.

I'm looking fwd to seeing the crooked sheriff get his comeuppance. Somehow Boyd will be involved.

I'll bet it's Quarrels that turns on him
.. Boyd is too controlled to do that
He knows that would create way Too Much blowback on him ...

that's why I like Boyd he reasons things out before he acts

#1,216 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/21745073

Another Deadwood alumni appeared tonight, anyone catch him? He was never credited in Deadwood, but was in several episodes.

No, who was it?

I assume you don't mean Stephen Tobolowsky (Ned Rierson) since he was is the last couple eps (not to mention was likely credited in Deadwood).

#1,217 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails /forum/post/0

Only drawback to a great episode...the horrific effects on the exploding car. Looked like a cutscene from The Seventh Guest video game.

Agreed. But the verbal standoff later between Wynn and Raylan made me forget all about it.

I also thought Lynda Kay was a great addition. Gotta love country singers with big hair.

#1,218 ·
This week's Justified episode was great again. I loved the arc of both the Let's Kill Gary and Frame Raylan thread and the Raylan Is A Dirty Cop thread. In both cases, Raylan neatly turned the situation around and put the heat on others. I particularly enjoyed how he found the weapon used to kill Gary and used it to his advantage. The writing in this show is worthy of Elmore himself.

Quarles is a walking volcano, a pill popping psychopath who is clearly losing control but he is still smart and resourceful. It's going to be fascinating to see how it all plays out.

#1,224 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTV2TiVo /forum/post/21748119

No, who was it?

I assume you don't mean Stephen Tobolowsky (Ned Rierson) since he was is the last couple eps (not to mention was likely credited in Deadwood).

Don't know the guy's name. The red-headed LPD detective. He was in episode 12 of Deadwood as a soldier who came in with Gen Crook. ("They made me eat my mare"). He was seen around the camp a few times in season 2 as well.

#1,225 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 /forum/post/0

Why would you ruin Jack with coke???

Then again, I also like single malt scotch

I was in the restaurant business and, in my early days when I worked as a bartender, a guy came up and ordered a Courvosier and coke. I'm thinking, OK, it's your money. I asked if if he'd like anything else and he says, "Yeah, put some grenadine in it."

#1,226 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 /forum/post/21748961

I was in the restaurant business and, in my early days when I worked as a bartender, a guy came up and ordered a Courvosier and coke. I'm thinking, OK, it's your money. I asked if if he'd like anything else and he says, "Yeah, put some grenadine in it."

it's better than Christian Brothers & Coke ? L O L ...